Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC moving to F2P model?

Just wondering with the recent shift within funcom if AoC will shift their game to F2P in order to attract more people, and sell more boxes. Then have a pay to play method that would involve something more. I know the abandon ship for all hope is lost has been rung a lot, but I am just interested with this shift in direction.

Comments

• gan3fgan3f Member UncommonPosts: 274

I am pretty sure they won't do that. I think that would actually put the final nail in the coffin of AoC if they did that. they are taking steps to rebuild the mess they made but doing that might hinder their efforts.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

AoC is not down and out yet, given the resignation of that fella, and the recent  video by erling, i believe they are going in the right dircetion.... finally. So its a definately no for f2p. Heck! That's other games out there that's in a much worse state than AoC and yet they are still chargin players.....

RIP Orc Choppa

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662
    Originally posted by arctarus

AoC is not down and out yet, given the resignation of that fella, and the recent  video by erling, i believe they are going in the right dircetion.... finally. So its a definately no for f2p. Heck! That's other games out there that's in a much worse state than AoC and yet they are still chargin players.....

Evidence to support the above has yet to materialise on the servers.  Time will tell.

As for F2P?  Don't be silly, no MMO that has a large budget would go to F2P so early.  They need to recoup their development costs first and you can't do that switching to F2P.

Want an MMO that SHOULD be F2P?  Just watch the latest Darkfall gameplay video.

• mrnutz1065mrnutz1065 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Tarka

Agreed, darkfall looks terrible. I cringed when i saw the "wizard" use some knockback spell in the gameplay video. If you are going to release a gameplay video, at least do so when you have polished the animations to a respectable state.

• Originally posted by mrnutz1065

Originally posted by Tarka

Agreed, darkfall looks terrible. I cringed when i saw the "wizard" use some knockback spell in the gameplay video. If you are going to release a gameplay video, at least do so when you have polished the animations to a respectable state.

In all honesty we saw great graphics with AoC yet it has some of the worst gameplay I have experienced out of this generation or the last 2 generations of games hitting the market. (I am a mmo whore, and buy almost every one just to try it the first month).

I would rather have dull turned down graphics with extremely good mechanics.

None the less getting back on topic though I do believe they could recoup losses by selling a box with f2p. They would have to close servers to save bandwidth, but that shouldn't be that difficult with the player base. Along with the talk of an expansion in early 2009. They could give the expansion away for free then charge people a monthly subscription to play it, and those who don't since the game would still be so new could continue to play for free.

I think it is a possibility, but who knows till their next stock holders meeting.