Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for TR players

RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Is the Mech on the test server the PAU prototype or is it just a mech prototype?

Comments

• WinterfreshWinterfresh Member Posts: 73

Your question doesn't make sense. The mechs in this game are called PAUs, just like "mobile suits" in Gundam, "wanzer" in Front Mission, "VT" in Steel Battalion, "Orbital Frame" in Zone of the Enders, "Gymelef" in Escaflowne, "AT-ST" in Star Wars, "Armored Core" in Armored Core, "Magitek Armor" in Final Fantasy VI, "Metal Gear" in Metal Gear Solid, "Planet Runner" in Shattered Steel, "AGWS" in Xenosaga, and "zords" in Power Rangers.
    <Mod edit>

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

Uh.... he typed his question funny, but I think its fairly clear hes asking if PAUs are being tested on the test server or not yet. That list of what giant robots are called in various games is pretty long but sadly doesn't really anwser the question.

Look, I'm not on the test server and I doubt you will find anyone on this forum who is but if I had to take a guess on this subject I would say: No, PAUs are probably not on the test server now, nor will they be in the game in any form any time in the near future.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I don't have have the PTS installed, but from my understanding reading the PTR forums they are in game on the PTS.

http://www.planettr.com/forums/showpost.php?p=117284&postcount=2

And this probably answers the OP question...

www.planettr.com/forums/showpost.php

"The "PAU" that is available is a prototype to show the basic functionality of a PAU, ie, mobility, abilities, and basic weapon loadout. Changes will come, patience will be rewarded."

Screenshots here...

http://tabularasa.gangrel.me.uk/index.php?topic=2359.0

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Quote from Susan, new lead designer:

"PAU's/Mechs

I was just watching these walking around in the game the other day. Need I say more? ;)

We've got prototypes up and running and the systems designers have been working up a cool new system to allow you to customize your mechs through a type of alternative advancement. Curious? Intrigued? Have I mentioned we have a test server? I think I may have... ;) "

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

Originally posted by Winterfresh

Your question doesn't make sense. The mechs in this game are called PAUs, just like "mobile suits" in Gundam, "wanzer" in Front Mission, "VT" in Steel Battalion, "Orbital Frame" in Zone of the Enders, "Gymelef" in Escaflowne, "AT-ST" in Star Wars, "Armored Core" in Armored Core, "Magitek Armor" in Final Fantasy VI, "Metal Gear" in Metal Gear Solid, "Planet Runner" in Shattered Steel, "AGWS" in Xenosaga, and "zords" in Power Rangers.
    <Mod edit>

No you are wrong. The PAUs were not supposed to be just mechs as stated many months ago. If the PAUs are just mechs that is a change in the basic philosophy behind them. The idea of PAUs was a unique thing to each class. Some of which were supposed to be like mechs and some vehicle in nature and some were said to be neither. This came from the devs way back at the start of the year.

The Mechs that the AFS use were never called PAUs.

<Mod edit>

Originally posted by Raltar

Uh.... he typed his question funny, but I think its fairly clear hes asking if PAUs are being tested on the test server or not yet. That list of what giant robots are called in various games is pretty long but sadly doesn't really anwser the question.
    Look, I'm not on the test server and I doubt you will find anyone on this forum who is but if I had to take a guess on this subject I would say: No, PAUs are probably not on the test server now, nor will they be in the game in any form any time in the near future.

The question makes perfect sense. PAUs were not supposed to be Mechs, so if the PTS has PAUs they should be different for each class, if what is on the PTS is a mech all classes can use it is not the PAU prototype. Easy question.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Quote from Susan, new lead designer:
    "PAU's/Mechs
    I was just watching these walking around in the game the other day. Need I say more? ;)
    We've got prototypes up and running and the systems designers have been working up a cool new system to allow you to customize your mechs through a type of alternative advancement. Curious? Intrigued? Have I mentioned we have a test server? I think I may have... ;) "

I read the interview when it came out. TRs devs have not earned the trust me badge all year. Until it is out I have doubt.

Originally posted by Sevenwind

I don't have have the PTS installed, but from my understanding reading the PTR forums they are in game on the PTS.
    http://www.planettr.com/forums/showpost.php?p=117284&postcount=2
    And this probably answers the OP question...
    www.planettr.com/forums/showpost.php
    "The "PAU" that is available is a prototype to show the basic functionality of a PAU, ie, mobility, abilities, and basic weapon loadout. Changes will come, patience will be rewarded."
    Screenshots here...
    http://tabularasa.gangrel.me.uk/index.php?topic=2359.0

Thank you, this is the answer. It is a basic prototype as you said. Thanks again.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

I suppose I'm the only TR player in existence who sees these PAU's as just another excuse for the devs to avoid adding real additional content to the game.  At least it makes them look like they haven't given up on the game on the surface. 

Tossing bones to the "gives us new toys" segment of the fanbase while they avoid creating anything substantial for the "give us more content to challenge us" fans is all the devs have the skills to muster.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

The question makes perfect sense. PAUs were not supposed to be Mechs, so if the PTS has PAUs they should be different for each class, if what is on the PTS is a mech all classes can use it is not the PAU prototype. Easy question.

Your right, the question makes sense now that I read it again. Sorry, I was drunk when I read it the first time. It was friday night after all. Maybe that explains why that other guy didn't get it either.

But yeah, you are correct. The devs did originally say that PAUs were supposed to be different for each class and some would look like mechs while others took the form of different vehicles. It wouldn't suprise me if they are going to flip-flop on that promise now and just make them all mechs out of laziness.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Your right, the question makes sense now that I read it again. Sorry, I was drunk when I read it the first time. It was friday night after all. Maybe that explains why that other guy didn't get it either.

But yeah, you are correct. The devs did originally say that PAUs were supposed to be different for each class and some would look like mechs while others took the form of different vehicles. It wouldn't suprise me if they are going to flip-flop on that promise now and just make them all mechs out of laziness.

Drunk explains it. LOL

I really hope this is as they say the basic prototype to get movement and stuff down and that each class is still getting an individually tailored PAU. To do the PAU right they need content that fits needing such a weapon anyway.