Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about my Vid card

EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

I got a 2900XT One gig.

Warhammer crashes Lots. Windows says that the drivers stoped responding and recoverd after the game crashes.

Spore will randomly crash after about a Hour or so. (Fudgeing Maxis only leting me save in space when they feel like it) No error Message Just goes to windows.

And the Odd part. After rolling back to 8.8 Drivers Crysis warhead had no problems at all and runs great???

Do yall think its bad drivers or is my under a year old card Dieing?

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
—Samuel Adams

Comments

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Sounds like it could be overheating if crashes are not at the same point every time.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

Never seen it over 85c thats running Crysis. But then it get close to 80+ on almost all games. Do the Heat Ducts break down over time?

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

Never seen it over 85c thats running Crysis. But then it get close to 80+ on almost all games. Do the Heat Ducts break down over time?

Yep the fan on that card isn't the greatest considering how hot the thing gets. I would take it out of the case and get a can of compressed air and give it the once over.

This thread is pretty long and might offer some potential insight: www.overclock.net/ati/201214-hd-2900xt-info-thread.html I glanced over and saw some temp related questions,

It does just sound like a driver issue to me though.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Considering it can run a much more demanding game, its a problem with the drivers or the other games.  I would bring this up with EA...  MMOs with bugs are quite common.  It also may be a result of securom.

War Dosent have securerom. crysis does tho :(

and it was the drivers I think. Put my brothers 8800 in to it and its running war fine. Slower But its stabble. Stupid EA.

Thx for all the help guys. Now i just gata wait till ea or ati put out a good driver or patch.

—Samuel Adams

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610
    Originally posted by Ekibiogami

War Dosent have securerom. crysis does tho :(
    and it was the drivers I think. Put my brothers 8800 in to it and its running war fine. Slower But its stabble. Stupid EA.
    Thx for all the help guys. Now i just gata wait till ea or ati put out a good driver or patch.

8800 slower? It benchmarks abut the same as 2X2900XT in crossfire!

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

The HD2900XT benchmarks exactly the same as an HD3870. In some benchmarks its higher. Considering the HD3870 has less then an 10% performance difference with the 8800GT/GTS(G92), its reasonable to assume it can perform worse in some situations when you take into consideration the rendering engine. A game built with ATI cards in mind will run almost 3 times better then ones built for nVidia cards due to the architecture in the HD series of cards.

• jdkskipjdkskip Member UncommonPosts: 120

I would like to add, if you didn't do it already, is to check out the perticular game forum. Somebody always posts a tweak to the game files, or tells you about certain setting that make the game run smoother. I have also had video card fans fail within a year.

Originally posted by jdkskip

I would like to add, if you didn't do it already, is to check out the perticular game forum. Somebody always posts a tweak to the game files, or tells you about certain setting that make the game run smoother. I have also had video card fans fail within a year.

War dosent have any :(

and it Ran Fantastic when it ran. It was makeing it run that was the problem.

and the videocard still sounds like a Freight train at full speed. so thats good.

—Samuel Adams