Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game freezes, monitor powers off. Pls help

2»

Comments

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

This problem does appear to have all te symptoms of an overheated / graphics card or drivers.   However changing monitors seems t o help.

Cards well cooled are having the problem.  Cards wit h the latest Drivers are having the problem.  running window mode still has the problem (but seems to help)

You have to try a few solutions but imo it is a driver / game issue not related to hardware.

• ZertyrZertyr Member UncommonPosts: 263

for me it all points to software, tried 3 diff graph cards, one works a lil better than the other two but about same error. And cooling is no problem, I store my frozen food in my comp as cooling is so dang good! (That is a joke before some ppl start flaming that its what causes the problems).

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    Originally posted by Valdecir

A failing power supply also produces symptoms like this... often only when it is facing the higher demands for power that playing a computer game bring about.
    So, you can probably check temps since that's the easiest thing to do.  If the problem persists, consider the power supply as a suspect.

Possible, but normally a failing/overloaded PSU would cause the whole system to power down, not just one component. I had this problem with LoTRO, turned out...600 watts is not enough to drive two 8800GTS in DX10.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Sounds like there's a myriad of potential possible causes. 

See you tried dif video drivers, when was the last time you updated the BIOS for your motherboard?

Also, the previous suggestion of trying a different version of the game client seems like a worthy try. I am using the retail package and do not have the problem, although I did have something similar on several other games that was in fact due to my usage of a beta version BIOS for my P5E3 premium wi/fi motherboard; I had other infrequent annoyances too. 

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367
    Originally posted by ekimmuchilde

I had a similar problem a few months ago, and initially thought it was an overheat as well.  What it actually turned out to be was an interaction with the video card and the motherboard.  It appears to have been a known error with certain quad core boards, but they released it anyhow.  However, an update to the BIOS seemed to have fixed this.

Quoting this incase the op missed it. 

Updating my BIOS resolved a LOT of minor issues I was having with my video card. 

OP, can you post the brand of your motherboard and the version of the BIOS you're using?

anyone else tried this bios thing? thinking about trying it myself, but not that skilled on computers so afraid I will mess it up. :(

but worth a try if it can solve some issues.

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263

Auxer, I have had this problem since the launch of the game. Even though it never occurred in beta and I have since reformatted my hard drive with a fresh install of the release client, it STILL happens. Like you, I tried every possible driver with no resolve.

After many trials and tribulations, here is how I finally resolved it:

1) Downloaded eVGA's Precision utility which allowed me to manually underclock my graphics card. I have an eVGA brand card so I am not sure if their utility works on other brands. If not, download similar programs such as RivaTuner or nTune.

2) While keeping the clocks linked, lower the tiimings of your graphics card a little at a time. If you use eVGA Precision, you can click on the arrow in the track line and then use your keyboard's arrow keys to lower or raise those numbers by one.

3) Lower your memory timings a little at a time as well.

4) Click "Apply" after each change.

5) Make sure the "Apply at Windows Startup" is checked.

5) Test the game at each setting you create to see if you continue to crash. If it crashes, reboot and lower your settings further until you can run stable.

You may think this is an indication of the graphics card failing, but the problem is exclusive to Warhammer. I can load up other games like City of Heroes or Team Fortress 2, reset my clock settings to their default, and play without issue.

I have a eVGA 8800 GTX 768mb GDDR3 PCI-E card. My settings I have found to work best are in the low 500's for clock timings and low 800's for memory timings. It has not crashed since I created these settings.

Stellus, tried this myself a bit yesterday, seems to work. Sad tho that WAR is made in such a poor way that you have to lower in this kind of way to run it. When more heavy graph games run smoooooth!

• AuxerAuxer Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Zertyr

Stellus, tried this myself a bit yesterday, seems to work. Sad tho that WAR is made in such a poor way that you have to lower in this kind of way to run it. When more heavy graph games run smoooooth!

tried it, not working.

Temp is great all over comp, even installed a couple more outside fans with outside powersource to lower temp even more. Nada.

Run WoW full settings, no problems

Run AoC full settings, no problems

Run FEAR full settings, no problems

dont know what this can be.

The tank that is born to tank!

Originally posted by Auxer

Originally posted by Zertyr

tried it, not working.

Temp is great all over comp, even installed a couple more outside fans with outside powersource to lower temp even more. Nada.

Run WoW full settings, no problems

Run AoC full settings, no problems

Run FEAR full settings, no problems

dont know what this can be.

bad issue this, that is for sure.

Cancelled my sub and returned to playing AoC as support have not been able to help me with issue for 2 months. Neither GOA or Mythic. And very annoying when they dont have answers they send some bogus automated message.