Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forcing AA and AF Works! Make WAR use MORE of your GPU

2»

Comments

• WazMeisterWazMeister Member Posts: 149

Im new to the game

Got it last night, Rocks.

Playing last night for a hour I was shocked, People said the graphics were shit.. and they were not kidding!

Everything full whack and graphics were jaggie etc..

Which I don't mind as graphics to me is nothing, I am all gameplay.

But with my ATi 4850 I thought id tinker, went to control panel put 16xaf and 8xaa and went back in game.

Now everything is so smooth and juicy, no kidding.. its fucking awesome graphics

Love the animations and models.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by WazMeister

Im new to the game

Got it last night, Rocks.

Playing last night for a hour I was shocked, People said the graphics were shit.. and they were not kidding!
    Everything full whack and graphics were jaggie etc..
    Which I don't mind as graphics to me is nothing, I am all gameplay.
    But with my ATi 4850 I thought id tinker, went to control panel put 16xaf and 8xaa and went back in game.
    Now everything is so smooth and juicy, no kidding.. its fucking awesome graphics
    Love the animations and models.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Im getting it to work but its ghetto. I have to tab out and tab back in and then sometimes it will change. But atleast I got it to work.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

These are all with 4x AA 8x AF

• MakurosuMakurosu Member Posts: 30

I tried this as soon as I got home. Here are some comparison pics.  Sorry for the different lighting in the Chaos area pics. 

No forced settings.

Forced 8x AF 4x AA

No forced settings:

Forced 8x AF 4x AA

No forced settings

Forced 8x AF 4x AA

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I did AAx 4 and AF x16 and its hella laggy in Senarios and while doing Keeps in RvR.   So Ill just stick to regular graphics for now.

• IxnatifualIxnatifual Member Posts: 475

I can't believe it, but this actually worked for me. Not only that, but the game looks amazing now. They really need to fix how this works :)

• Balthaazar1Balthaazar1 Member Posts: 531

Looks great with the tweaks mentioned. If anyone has further tweaking that would benefit the game post how to do so. I love it so far. You can find alot of screenshots in my previous posts and here are a few more showing how the graphics look for me. Love them.

img521.imageshack.us/my.php

img220.imageshack.us/my.php

------------------------------

'Cry Havoc, and Let Loose the Dogs of WARRRRR!!!'

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363

This has worked for me AA 4 and AF 8.

Smooth and no glitches.

Ajax

• catmaykatecatmaykate Member Posts: 45

Running 2 8800GTS (G92)s in SLI at 8xQ AA, 16AF, Supersampling and all the other bells and runs and looks great, i would run it at 16xQ but it makes chat and on screen words look all jagered

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188

Confirmed:   Running 1x  GeForce 8800GTS

Manually forced AAx4 and AFx16 and the game runs with noticably less lag. 

I have 2 Gigs of RAM on order from NewEgg (in addition to 2 in my system already) to increase system ram to ~4g.  This will hopefully put my system over the edge and make WAR playable in high mode instead of balanced.

• OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467

Aye, tried this last night and after being a bit down on the graphics yesterday I have to say I am 80% happier with it now..looks pretty cool :)..I will forgive some of the lame bullet shots and arrows and other anims, hope they improve some of these as time goes by.

:)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
  • erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

To that person who didn't see any difference in the 2 screen he posted, you're right... It's obvious none of those had AA, so i doubt they have AF. Try updating your ATI drivers (assuming that you use ATI), and don't use edge-detect unless you have a crossfire/x2. Not sure if that works at all, ATI was only planning that as a feature for Crossfire.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by erandur

To that person who didn't see any difference in the 2 screen he posted, you're right... It's obvious none of those had AA, so i doubt they have AF. Try updating your ATI drivers (assuming that you use ATI), and don't use edge-detect unless you have a crossfire/x2. Not sure if that works at all, ATI was only planning that as a feature for Crossfire.

If you have ATI and you force crap, which IMHO didn't change crap but maybe a few jagged edges. Dont enable adaptive AA. Dear god it makes your toons Heads Hollow. I enabled it and couldnt figure out how my graphics got worse because of the hollowness. Then i just started un checking crap and Bam after i unchecked Adaptive AA bam back to normal heads.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by Makurosu

I tried this as soon as I got home. Here are some comparison pics.  Sorry for the different lighting in the Chaos area pics. 
    No forced settings.

Forced 8x AF 4x AA

No forced settings:

Forced 8x AF 4x AA

No forced settings

Forced 8x AF 4x AA

I dont know if i can truely accept your photos. The lighting is differant in each of em and it makes me just believe the game looks better in differant lighting.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by Goldknyght
    I dont know if i can truely accept your photos. The lighting is differant in each of em and it makes me just believe the game looks better in differant lighting.

It is difficult to get the same frame at the same time of day after changing the settings.  I can see the difference in jaggedness and some areas where the textures are crisper.

You have to look at each pic and decide if the lines are more or less jagged, and if the textures are more or less blurry (especially in the distance).  Ignore changes in light and overall how the picture looks.

• t0mpeet0mpee Member Posts: 12

Finally, a game that doesn't need 20GB of ram and a brand new video card! Huzzah!

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

The newer cards do seem to run better in almost every game if you actually make them work a little.  As for people not noticing a difference with AA and AF.  When running at a higher resolution aliasing (the step ladder on the edges of textures) are a lot less noticeable at higher resolutions so AA wont make as large of an impact.  AF works by filtering textures at a distance making them appear to be far less "blurry" to also counteract some of the distance blurr Mythic added in an option in the graphics settings to use a portion of your video memory to store textures.  If you move this setting up one notch it should help a lot with blurry texture popin.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • MakurosuMakurosu Member Posts: 30

I tried my best to match the screenshots that were already in the screenshot folder from before.  So, some of the angles and what not aren't going to match up perfectly. The screens of the river were particularly annoying to recapture.  I took the originals as I running through the water, and I play with the camera controls constantly changing the views. 

The lighting is going to be off due to the time of day in game I took them in.  I'll try to get some screen shots under similar lighting conditions, but I'm not quite familiar with the game to know how day cycles work.  WoW was easy to figure out since it matched the real world time. 

You can still see that the lines are less jagged. Particularly on my sorcerer's hair.  If you could see the original 1680x1050 pic, it's even more apparent there.  (Any freebie sites let you host pictures that large?)  Keep in mind, I didn't make any commentary on whether this was a big change or not. I just wanted to post some relatively similar pictures side by side for comparison. 

• MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598

I tried this, and saw a huge boost in both performance, and look of the game.  I also kick up the gpu and memory clocks.

Always change your signature.

• erandurerandur Member Posts: 727

Originally posted by erandur

If you have ATI and you force crap, which IMHO didn't change crap but maybe a few jagged edges. Dont enable adaptive AA. Dear god it makes your toons Heads Hollow. I enabled it and couldnt figure out how my graphics got worse because of the hollowness. Then i just started un checking crap and Bam after i unchecked Adaptive AA bam back to normal heads.

I suppose the whole adaptive AA isn't for single GPU's then, edge-detect is amazing on Crossfire/X2 though.

You know it, the best way to realize your dreams is waking up and start moving, never lose hope and always keep up.