Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What type of battle system do you prefer, action-oriented (aka hack-and-slash) or menu-based?

There are many MMORPGs out there and even more RPGs out there. All of them vary from each other; most of them seem too similar to each other. When it comes to the combat systems, they're usually divided into 2 categories, menu-based and hack-and-slash. What would you guys prefer?

Comments

• repapipsrepapips Member Posts: 450

It depends on my mood

When im lazy i prefer hack and slash... just running around killing monster that block my path... some hack and slash games have addictting charisma.. the way you perform combos is awesome

But when Im in a mood where i want to plan some tactics i prefer turn base. in here you can plan your way up to beat monster or people who blocks your way

• YuramikoYuramiko Member Posts: 176

It will always depend on the person, but for me as a gamer I prefer it to be on menu base system. Why? coz it can really help you to think more and execute your plan. Though sometimes I do feel okas with a hack and slash system, if you aren't in the mood to play the game then you can just simply click the enemy and let it go with the flow.

• kokoro-chinkokoro-chin Member Posts: 181

I grew up playing mostly turn-based games and enjoyed it immensely. Though I do enjoy some occasional real-time bashing of enemies. But, my preference still remains at turn-based.

• guitarcrashguitarcrash Member Posts: 20

im up for turn based and i grew up playin them. tho hack and slash is preferable for pvp in mmo. realtime is tho is dependent on connection and once you hav problems then youre doomed lol. but some games will always be turn based and some games will always be hack and slash. its like saying ff will always be ff and diablo will always be diablo.

When I hold my guitar, I become a different person.

• Rak21Rak21 Member Posts: 3

I think it takes more skill to out wit ur enemies in time/turn based system.

• glordglord Member UncommonPosts: 338

I like the combat system where people don't post  bullcrap posts that don't involve roleplaying.

• RechealsRecheals Member Posts: 1

I would like hack and slash, which is a so direct way that you can kill the monsters which are on you way only by running around and selecting to kill them to die. Everything becomes very direct and simple.

• VonStrangleVonStrangle Member Posts: 10

Action Oriented, since I like action, i want to see that my characters move at my own will. This is quite very hard to do since your foe's as well moves to follow you and hunt you down.

• HeatheranHeatheran Member Posts: 6

I have to say I like hack and slash, but I like a block button or something thrown in the mix on rpgs so that the game isn't purely character level based. Menu systems are good too because you need a stragedy in order to take down some mega hard boss.

• ReanemeikoReanemeiko Member Posts: 183

I was first introduce to a Hack&Slash type of a game and for a newbie like me it's quite easy because your just kill many monster as many as you can to level up.  I just a newbie in a Turn-based game and I experience the difference but this online game allows your character to level uu even you are already gapped with the monster. So, I enjoy playing the game because it' makes me easy to level up.

*** Atlantica Online***Reanemeiko*** Mycenae

('@') Oink!

• kengiczarkengiczar Member Posts: 95

I like hack and slash with real time strategy elements...such as you have shield and when that giant orcs hammer is raised up to your right you had better disarm what's on your left then block before it hits you..truth is real sword play with longswords isn't easy and takes learning..

Turn based is better for telling a story in my opinion as in a fast paced fps or hack n slash I h8 my play being disrupted by "gwargh text die!!"

If you've ever played CSS with 4 snipers on the enemy room and you and 2 buddies in your windows, you see there is some type of strategy.  You must kill your foes from order of deadliest to least threatening.  That is if one is looking straight at you you had better shoot him first, you must also consider what your foes are looking at and if you are most likely their next target.   Dont forget the fact that you've only got 1.2 seconds left to live..make that time count.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by johnnyboy666

There are many MMORPGs out there and even more RPGs out there. All of them vary from each other; most of them seem too similar to each other. When it comes to the combat systems, they're usually divided into 2 categories, menu-based and hack-and-slash. What would you guys prefer?

There are actually 4 types of battle systems, one have we so far only seen in Wii games but it have potential. The 4th one is the one we seen in games like Soul calubur and Tekken, combo based system that needs a gamepad, or at least works best with one.

I would preferably see a mix of either meny + action or meny + Wii type.

I want a combat to be fast paced and realistic but I want more options than just slash and pierce. But I don't want the usual system when you spamm the buttons in a specific order while waiting for cool down.

I would like a system made by someone who actually swinged a real sword for at least a few hours, you would think that big companies could afford a basic day course on how real melee weapons work.

The action based system works fine with ranged weapons so in MMOFPS games it is the best, at least for the modern ones and many sci-fi games.

• vonkeitzvonkeitz Member Posts: 166

it depends on my mood but most of the game i played is a turn based game.