Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

credit duping: what's the deal?

Can someone explain to me exactly how you can dupe credits?

Is this mainly people that buy credits online or from ebay?

I read that some one bought 10 guild buildings and this has something to do with credit duping.

Thank you.

The Status Quo

Comments

• CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433

Duping basically is creating credits from nothing.

Basically, lets say you have 1 million credits. Using duping, this becomes 2 million. Then you take that 2 million, and it become 4 million. Now you've just made 3 million credits from nowhere.

Duping can make you lose your account, as well as having credits that are duped. If someone randomly tips you large sums of money, you may want to put in a CSR ticket about it.

Games Tried:
    Everquest (not a power gamer)
    Earth and Beyond (kinda fun, kinda boring)
    Planetside (rather play Counter-Strike)
    Lineage 2 (see Everquest above, plus too many PKers and Bots)
    Guild Wars [E3 trial] (Not too bad from what I saw, nothing very new though)
    Eve Online (somewhat fun, somewhat repetetive)

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526
    LOL, yeah and after you report it you'll get banned as well. Check the forums over there, hundreds if not thousands of players are getting banned for receiving mysterious tips and reporting them. One player was a prominent Mayor of a town, walked past someone and recieved a 10 million dollar tip. He immediately reported it. Later he was banned like many others.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

lol  dont listen to the man behind the curtain...

duping exists, but its not as bad as admriker is making it out to sound.  People can easily afford 5 guild halls if theyve been playing for awhile.

Also, I would report any large sums of money to customer service too (and you wont get banned for doing that as Admriker suggested)

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

i remember when i used to dupe creds in ao, that was fun, newbs would be buying stuff in the shopping channel for like 20k then i would bid like 10mil on it just to piss him off ::::01::

image image image

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Originally posted by admriker444
    LOL, yeah and after you report it you'll get banned as well. Check the forums over there, hundreds if not thousands of players are getting banned for receiving mysterious tips and reporting them. One player was a prominent Mayor of a town, walked past someone and recieved a 10 million dollar tip. He immediately reported it. Later he was banned like many others.

If I'm not mistaken he tipped the money back first.  Bad idea.  Now, not only is he "dirty" for receiving, he's "dirty" for passing it off.

If I slip a bag of drugs into your coat and later you hand that off to me or someone, you're just as guilty.

He simply should have logged off and contacted support, not passing it off and THEN contacting someone.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• Originally posted by Status_Quo

Can someone explain to me exactly how you can dupe credits?

I won't go into details. For 2 reasons. I personally do not want to encourage anyone to do it. Second, I'm very sure it would violate the terms at this here site MMORPG.com .....

Generally Credit Duping, (or money duping) is just like how counterfitters in real life work. And why they are a big deal. Players in a game find a way to litterally create money from nothing. They find an in game exploit, or abuse normally working parts of the game to do something not ment to be done. (aka they are not taking advantage of a bug, error, or exploit.... but are still doing something not intended to be done.)

The end result is the same - they are creating new money from thin air. They are counterfitting money.

Is this mainly people that buy credits online or from ebay?

No. That is simply players sellling in game items for real life money. They make money off of a game. And players using real life money to get a "head start" in a game when they first start out.

I read that some one bought 10 guild buildings and this has something to do with credit duping.

No one knows if that person who brought 10 guild buildings used his money, the guild's money, or he duped it. Except for him, and SOE. Game companies ALL have a policy of NEVER EVER discussing individuale problems with players, in public. It would violate player privatcy.

Thank you.

The Status Quo

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========

MMORPG games I've played:
    ---------------------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

DAoC (coming soon)
    ---------------------------

• Status_QuoStatus_Quo Member Posts: 18

Thanks.

• David_WolfpaDavid_Wolfpa Member Posts: 273
    Credit Dupe Update
    All persons potentially involved in the dupe have been banned or suspended.
    People who have been banned or suspended are going through the appeals process now. Each case is resolved privately between the customer and customer service. The appeals process will be complete by early next week.
    Over 75% of the duped credits are being removed from the economy preventing hyper-inflation in the SWG economy.
    No vendor owners were suspended for purchases made from their vendor with duped credits, only people that had money directly transferred to them were affected.
    We are committed to maintaining a safe and fair playing environment and exploiting will not be tolerated.

From the launchpad. image

•   Just to make sure everyone is aware of it,

that picture posted by David Wolfpa above this post of mine is NOT a SWG screenshot! LOL!

It is from an old javascript, free, MMORPG named Runescape.

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========

MMORPG games I've played:
    ---------------------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

DAoC (coming soon)
    ---------------------------

• SlangerSlanger Member UncommonPosts: 280

Originally posted by xplororor

Just to make sure everyone is aware of it,
    that picture posted by David Wolfpa above this post of mine is NOT a SWG screenshot! LOL!
    It is from an old javascript, free, MMORPG named Runescape.

All Lies!!! That's screenshot is of his Jedi Character taking care of an evil Rat Sith!image LOL it would be funny if anyone at a site like mmorpg.com would mistake that screenshot for a screenshot from SWG.image

I still remember when the first credit dupe popped up in SWG. Prices went up greatly when that happened. Lots of fuss on the forums about bans being handed out left and right. I quit SWG a few weeks ago so I didn't know about it until a few days ago. Shouldn't be as big of a problem as the first time, since I don't recall anyone getting banned for credit dupe's the first time around.

Currently Playing: AC2, WW2Online
    Retired: Everquest, DAoC
    Quit: SWG

Currently Playing: Eve-Online
    On the Backburner: EQ2
    Retired: EQ, DAoC, WW2Online
    RIP: AC2
    Tried: Ryzom, Roma Victor, RoM, KH2, Forsaken World, AO, AoC, APB
    Quit: SWG PRE-CU(Radiant/Starsider), WoW

Achiever 47% / Explorer 40% / Killer 87% / Socializer 27%