Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

License being yanked?

Comments

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631
    Originally posted by Kazara

Originally posted by Fishermage

Originally posted by efefia

Originally posted by Obraik

LucasArts has mentioned George Lucas' son plays SWG.  I don't think George will be having SWG shutdown :)

From the original Verant/LA press release:

"The Star Wars online game will be developed by Verant, distributed and sold at retail by LucasArts, and available for play exclusively online at The [email protected]"

As soon as a new Star Wars mmo is ready to be released SWG is toast, or do you think SOE will be willing to rescind exclusive rights?

I don't think that's the deal anymore. I think that changed some time ago. I am far from certain of this, however.

I agree with you Fisher. There is no way LA/LEC would sit back and let $0E maintain exclusive rights to the Star Wars IP for an mmo after the subscriber numbers nose dive SWG took almost three years ago. There is money to be made with Star Wars and that is not being realized by the 20k+ players presently playing. I believe LA/LEC had enought with $WG's bungling of the game and modified the agreement, which is why I think SWG couldn't do a roll back when over 75% of the playerbase instantly vanished and why there are no classic servers. It doesn't harm LA/LEC's interests to allow SWG to lumber along on Station Pass Life Support, but I am sure that there are some that would disagree, hehe.

I'm just working of of what we know is 100% is factually correct and with the lack of any further announcements to contradict the original we have to assume that it is still an exclusive. I personally agree with you both however, but there is one sticking point. The exclusivity deal probably only covers SOE for released titles, there's absolutely no reason LA couldn't develop (or outsource development) a future Star Wars mmo to be released when they're ready to pull SWG. You also have to take into account that any development partner LA takes on for such a project would likely expect, or even demand their own exclusivity contract, making SOE null and void. I mean (for arguments sake) if BioWare release a Star Wars mmo next year they won't want (again for arguments sake) 50,000 subscribers on another Star Wars mmo elsewhere. Having two mmo's on the same IP running concurrently would be no different to LA releasing Battlefront 2 through Pandemic and Battlefront 3 through Free Radical at the sametime. It makes no economic sense. Of course, howling fuck ups are Lucas Arts speciality so it's by no means certain they wouldn't do that anyway lol

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324

I'm just working of of what we know is 100% is factually correct and with the lack of any further announcements to contradict the original we have to assume that it is still an exclusive. I personally agree with you both however, but there is one sticking point. The exclusivity deal probably only covers SOE for released titles, there's absolutely no reason LA couldn't develop (or outsource development) a future Star Wars mmo to be released when they're ready to pull SWG. You also have to take into account that any development partner LA takes on for such a project would likely expect, or even demand their own exclusivity contract, making SOE null and void. I mean (for arguments sake) if BioWare release a Star Wars mmo next year they won't want (again for arguments sake) 50,000 subscribers on another Star Wars mmo elsewhere. Having two mmo's on the same IP running concurrently would be no different to LA releasing Battlefront 2 through Pandemic and Battlefront 3 through Free Radical at the sametime. It makes no economic sense. Of course, howling fuck ups are Lucas Arts speciality so it's by no means certain they wouldn't do that anyway lol

Very well put..

LEC is very stingy with their IP, and it is a very well known IP with a built in fanbase. Any company LEC rents the IP to will probably want that exclusvely to themselves, no question.

I just feel bad for the folks still grinding it out on SWG still, I can see SOE waiting till the last minute to say anything and kicking them to the curb.

• daveainsdaveains Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by singsofdeath  Originally posted by Soupgoblin

Originally posted by Daffid011

Star Wars Galaxies will not be shut down until a new Star Wars MMO is announced and possibly launched.

Regardless of whos son plays it or not.  It would be bad publicity to have a Star Wars MMO shut down shortly before a new one is unvieled or released.  Doing so would just dredge up all that old drama and negativity just before a major ad campaign for a new title. 
    My guess is SWG will quietly announce a sunsetting date with the excuse that populations have "finally" fallen to low to support due to the new title or perhaps Lucas Arts will just suffocate the title with creative restrictions to the point SOE will opt out of the contract.

Again there is nothing to be gained for SOE or Lucas Arts by shutting down SWG, except a whole mess of negative advertising.

A new SW MMO will not be announced till the company has the IP, and from earlier post it would seem the IP is an exclusive thing. Who would spend money to design and code a whole MMO if they don't have the IP in their hands? and if it is in Bioware's hands, it won't be in SOE's hands...

Therefore I believe that SOE will just keep letting you pay your monthly fees (plus the extra from the cards), and when the time comes, drop the players like a rock

these games are a business, and corporations have no heart, they don't care when you cry. They are trying to make money, and KOTOR3 will not be started until bioware knows that the IP is in their possesion, and for that to happen, SOE has to lose the IP....

I know it hurts, but it is all for the best, I think most of us trust Bioware more than we trust SOE.

Just wanted to put a bit perspective on this and add a little food for thought.

3) Fact = LucasArts have recently registered new trademarks. Threads and posts about this are readily available here. The one that seems most interesting in this whole discussion is "Star Wars: The Old Republic". These Trademarks have been registered for entertainment software as far as I am aware (please correct me if I am wrong).

Currently, I'm thinking there is a good 90% Chance that the BioWare MMO, due out next year (theoretically, logically and realistically, I would say 2010), is indeed Star Wars: The Old Republic. 

But it is all just speculation at this point.

Ooo. Good point - there are two series of Star Wars movies, taking place in two different times. This might be a line that lawyers can draw to say that they are different IPs, since you have different looks for pretty much everything.

Question, didn't SOE get the IP before Jar-Jar Wars came out?

• WolfkroneWolfkrone Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by Soupgoblin

Originally posted by Obraik

Thank you for your concern kind sir.  My friend /macro was playing for me while I've been sleeping and working ;)

Wow, the current game must be a ton of fun if you (the games most vocal supporter) feel the need to afk.

That is what I thought might happen to SWG, it turned into a zombie game, nobody on most of the time, eccept for non-living players.Botters normally damage the quality of most games, but I guess in SWG it is the only thing keeping it undead (it ain't alive anymore).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Star Wars Fan who has played every Star Wars game I could find (Arcade, Atari 2600, Vic20, Commodore64 and on the PC). I played SWG and loved it for two years, I still even resub my SWG account once or twice a year (since NGE) to see what is shaking (the last time, back in January, where I met several twinked out, kill stealing massholes) .

The only people (and undead zombie bots) still playing are the hard-core, die- hard fans. You know the type... they have Star Wars weddings, give their pets pets names like; "Yoda" and "Obi-Wan", and may even have a child named "Luke" or "Leia". These are the types of people that will not abandon a Star Wars game for anything short of death (theirs, not a friend or family member), these folks will continue beating that dead horse until it is nothing but a soft spongy mass with a large puddle around it (all the while screaming incoherently to others about it not being dead).

The only reason that SOE has not lost the IP is because (1.) It still has a trickle of money coming in for LA, (and Lucas loves his money) (2.) refer to number One. That is it.

The reason I think that 2009 will be the year that SOE loses the IP;

Bioware has already released info that it is working on a SW MMO, but has not made an official announcement (that's odd, the most succesful IP in the world and they are keeping it mum? Why?) Well, it is because SOE still has the IP, and probably made a deal stating they LA couldn't sell the IP to any other MMO game company (for a certain amount of time or some such). Bioware is waiting till they get the IP before making the "official" announcement for legal reasons. But the moment that LA has approved the KOTORO game, you can bet your ass they will pay off SOE and drop them like a hot potato, since SWGNGE is a huge black eye to LA, in the eyes of a huge portion of their fanbase (hundreds of thousands more than play SWGNGE). The card game (last minute cash grab), character transfers (cash grab) no server merge, just prove that SOE doesn't deserve the IP.

But that is just my opinion on the matter, take that with a grain of salt.

No, I've got to disagree with that, a true Star Wars nut would leave the noob station, land in Eisley and see Jedi running around all over the place and instantly log off.

SWG was never true to Star Wars. Jedi should of never been in it, I shouldn't be able to pilot a TIE Advanced or even a  B-Wing (which isn't even in prototype in SWG's time). There is and always was heaps of stuff in SWG that shouldn't of been there. Mandalorian Armour... wtf?

So "true Star Wars nuts" would never of played the game.

Tried: WoW
    Played: EQ, EQII, AO, SWG, NGE-SWG, LoTRO, WAR, Vanguard, Eve, WWIIOL, Guild Wars, Darkfall, AoC.
    Playing: DAoC.
    Waiting For: SW:TOR.

• StarDaggerStarDagger Member Posts: 135

I think we are all agreed that SWG needs to be buried and a REAL Star Wars MMO erected in its place.

SOE should be told "This is not the MMO we were looking for" and fired, and banned from having anything to do with future LA products.

Yours in Problem Solving Plasma,

Star*Dagger

• daveainsdaveains Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by StarDagger

I think we are all agreed that SWG needs to be buried and a REAL Star Wars MMO erected in its place.
    SOE should be told "This is not the MMO we were looking for" and fired, and banned from having anything to do with future LA products.
    Yours in Problem Solving Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

Yep, that's why I don't play any SOE games anymore. I honestly want them to fail and be driven out of the business. They won't of course, since all of the "leadership" in SOE will say and do anything to avoid losing their jobs (see Smed's recent interview where he claims they're really successful lol).

But if SOE did shut down those games, it might happen that they are bought up by a company that understands that making the game a success for the players is how you make the game a success for your business. That's my hope anyways, and it's right up there with Tribes 2 MMO :D

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

"I just feel bad for the folks still grinding it out on SWG still, I can see SOE waiting till the last minute to say anything and kicking them to the curb."

I wouldn't exepct anything else from $OE. If the plug was to be pulled, $OE wouldn't say anything as long as there is a nickle to grab right down to the last nanosecond.

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585

I just feel bad for the folks still grinding it out on SWG still, I can see SOE waiting till the last minute to say anything and kicking them to the curb.

Don't feel bad for them. The current SWG players have demonstrated that they will continue forking money over to SOE no matter how badly they are treated.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by pdxgeek

Don't feel bad for them. The current SWG players have demonstrated that they will continue forking money over to SOE no matter how badly they are treated.

Hm, how ironic. If you dont like something to happen to yourself, you dont want it to happen to someone else either. Unless you are very childish and egocentric.

I mean, how can you complain about what SOE did with NGE, if you want the current game also to fail? The current playerbase did nothing wrong to you.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Kazara

"I just feel bad for the folks still grinding it out on SWG still, I can see SOE waiting till the last minute to say anything and kicking them to the curb."

I wouldn't exepct anything else from $OE. If the plug was to be pulled, $OE wouldn't say anything as long as there is a nickle to grab right down to the last nanosecond.

Yes, they are all masochists and money slaves to SOE.

• pdxgeekpdxgeek Member Posts: 585
    Originally posted by someforumguy

Originally posted by pdxgeek

Hm, how ironic. If you dont like something to happen to yourself, you dont want it to happen to someone else either. Unless you are very childish and egocentric.

I mean, how can you complain about what SOE did with NGE, if you want the current game also to fail? The current playerbase did nothing wrong to you.

Huh?

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Yup! Once LA pull SOE then they can contract a new dev team but to be honest I'm not sure who would be good, maybe Turbine? LOTRO & DDO both epic failed but for different reasons so if you merged them with a star wars IP it could be ok.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

Originally posted by grimboj

Yup! Once LA pull SOE then they can contract a new dev team but to be honest I'm not sure who would be good, maybe Turbine? LOTRO & DDO both epic failed but for different reasons so if you merged them with a star wars IP it could be ok.

No, NOT Turbine.

I don't want a prettier-looking simplified WoW copy named "Star Wars Online".

Played: EQ, EQII, AO, SWG, NGE-SWG, LoTRO, WAR, Vanguard, Eve, WWIIOL, Guild Wars, Darkfall, AoC.

• dhouserdhouser Member Posts: 19

Star Wars MMO on the way. 

Lucasarts / Bioware Project

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/916/916588p1.html

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 147

LOTRO "epic failed"?  Really?  A smooth launch, plenty of updates, numerous awards, and the first expansion soon to be released?

Wow ok, if that's a epci fail please let more games be like that.  God I wish AOC had been a "epic fail" of that magnitude.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

It seems we will all know the future of SWG on the 21st of October.  It doesn't bode well for SWG that the head moron was moved to another game just as Bioware and LA are about to announce another Star Wars MMO...

Tecmo Bowl.

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Thunderous

It seems we will all know the future of SWG on the 21st of October.  It doesn't bode well for SWG that the head moron was moved to another game just as Bioware and LA are about to announce another Star Wars MMO...

It could bode well that the head moron was moved. Now a slightly less moronic head moron can take his place. But it really has not looked good for 3 years for this game.

• precuorbustprecuorbust Member Posts: 120

They'll keep the license until the new Bioware KOTORMMO comes out.  After that it won't really matter if it's pulled or not, there will be absolutely zero interest in the NGE.

Originally posted by EbenEmael

It could bode well that the head moron was moved. Now a slightly less moronic head moron can take his place. But it really has not looked good for 3 years for this game.

Maybe the new slightly less moronic head moron might manage to fix the NPC stuck in terrain, shoots through walls and terrain bug before they turn out the lights.

A bug that's been in SWG since day 1.

Originally posted by precuorbust

They'll keep the license until the new Bioware KOTORMMO comes out.  After that it won't really matter if it's pulled or not, there will be absolutely zero interest in the NGE.

Except for the lore nuts.

I like SWG's setting better than KOTOR's, less Jedi, more Bounty Hunters. However, I don't and WILL NOT play the NGE... I'll happily try out Bioware's MMO, they make good games.

If SOE is allowed to keep renewing the SWG license and if the Bioware MMO is successful (assuming it is Star Wars based), watch SOE start to copy Bioware MMO.

Originally posted by Wolfkrone

Except for the lore nuts.

I like SWG's setting better than KOTOR's, less Jedi, more Bounty Hunters. However, I don't and WILL NOT play the NGE... I'll happily try out Bioware's MMO, they make good games.

SWG's setting, yes is more appealing than KOTOR's.  What isn't appealing at all is the game that claims to be set in that setting.  Current SWG is about as EP4-EP5 timeline canon authentic as...  Well, everything else that isn't.  There is absolutely NOTHING about it except the claim that it's EP4 timeline based that is.

Indeed, the complete lack of respect for canon and timeline is one of the things about SWG that made it NOT appeal to the vast majority of Star Wars fans.  The NGE took that and made it worse, what with day 1 rolled up player Jedi running around everywhere, non humans in the Empire, rebels walking around in the OPEN in uniforms, etc.  Not all of that was added with the NGE, but it was all taken and made FAR worse than it was by the NGE.

At least KOTOR, not being movie canon based, can be true to Star Wars (as the games were) but yet offer vastly more free reign to make nice interesting story and things that we don't know about yet, and doesn't have to play like the movies.

Maybe the new slightly less moronic head moron might manage to fix the NPC stuck in terrain, shoots through walls and terrain bug before they turn out the lights.

I honestly don't think that the current dev team is capable of doing it. They would have to try to hire some of the original team since many current bugs date back to pre-CU.

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

I honestly don't think that the current dev team is capable of doing it. They would have to try to hire some of the original team since many current bugs date back to pre-CU.

They could try to hire some quackers to do it.  But I don't think any of them will waddle over to Austin to lend a hand.  Even if paid to do so.

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic

The Dev team since the CU hasn't been able to solve the problem of exiting a wet paper bag without the use of a nuclear explosive.

The current team is even less capable than that.

Indeed, the reason being is that they consider a nuclear explosive to be insufficient, despite the fact that it will definitely destroy the wet paper barrier to their exit...  Along with everything else within 50 miles.

No, the current team needs an explosive that can do that...  AND vaporize Jupiter.  Every nuke on Earth couldn't do that, ergo, it's an impossible problem to solve and therefore is "working as intended".