Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The EVE game

GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Hi,
I have seen couple of late threads asking how to start in EVE or saying the game is boring or such. I have decided to add a few letters to those who played for short amount of time not being able to get into EVE's deeper layers.
First thing you have to realize is that the game is sand-box by great deal. Therefore it is mostly player driven. That means the game is PvP based as much as it can be.

I like to say that EVE is the real MMO - place where players run their world by united effort. If I had to demonstrate how EVE works it could look like the following mechanic:

When I started as combat pilot needing a new ship. So I go to manufacturer(player) asking if he can build a ship for me. Sure he can, but he needs materials and blueprint to build the ship up. So I go to miner(player) asking if he can supply all required minerals. Sure he can, but he needs a fleet protection so he can mine rare minerals in dangerous space. So I go to combat pilots(players) asking them if they can provide protection for the miners. Sure they can, but before they do, they ask me to go to logistics guys(players) to arrange move out of all gathered minerals. At the logistic department, I was told to go to corp manager(player) so he can set up Jump bridges for their ships. On my way to corp manager, I meet a researcher(player) and while I am explaining how long route it is to get a new ship, he tells me that I should ask corp manager to establish some new laboratories for him and order corporate salesman(player) to obtain new datacores for him. Finally I arrive to corp manager and asking him to setup bridges and new laboratories. Corp manager gives me a thoughtful look and after short silence he says: 'OK. We will need a territory, our own space to do it. I will give a talk about that with CEO of corporation that helped us with those pesky pirates last time and we will see if we could make some agreement and form an alliance.' After that I felt exhausted..I just sit down and watched world moving....

Well, that is how EVE works. Probably it does not work excatly like that, because separate tasks can be done by different entities but the principle remains the same. As you can see, the world is extremely complex. For each field you have powerfull tools, devoted skills and equippment. That means, if you open the market interface, 97% of the things you see there are build up/sold/bought by players, it is a great place for industrial/business minded people with as much depth as was put in PvP combat.

EVE is a place about choices you make, about mistakes you pay for - patience and study is the only way how to avoid loses.

Enjoy.