Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics Update

robby5403robby5403 Member Posts: 368

I think its time for a graphic update for this game which contains for the whole world. They could introduce this with a new expansion. DaoC had with Catacombs also a graphic update and they're updating the graphics from wow also. Only EQ 2 has still outdated graphics which never be updated/improved. With better graphics the game becomes more populated under people who also want nice graphics next to gameplay.

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Game may be a few years old but the graphics are not outdated so a graphic update will not happen. Sorry.

I see them "maybe" doing an update in two years. No skeletal revamp either as they stated it cannot handle the load on its current code.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Actually, they have promised a revamp of the character models and all clothes for years, thats why the races from the last expansions looks better, because they have it done already. they showed a revamped human in Leipzig 2 years ago and say that it is in work but they have been working on it for 3 years now so Im not sure they ever do it.

The rest they wont and they wont get an uppgrade for multicores either but they might include some new features from new GFX cards.

But its sad that they dont uses lightning, shadows and fog better, the game looks ok but just a litle work and it could looks awesome.

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373

EQ2 has had its problems with graphics. Lots of AA issues (normally fixed via external applications which force AA), and plastic look/feel to the skins.

I have always been aware of the fact that characters/ environments/ architecture/ objects have neither a "fantasy" feel to them, nor a "realistic" feel to them. Its all plastic.

I agree its time for a graphics update - and imagine what would happen if EQ1 also got a super graphics update to make it look like AOC?!!! :)

Also technology has evolved immnsely - check out wikipedia for some low poly bump mapping and parallax mapping techniques: Wiki

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Thats not going to happen, sorry.

Let me ask you this.... the best game of all time is pretty much KOTOR. But its old, even though people STILL play. Some people have even played it upwards of 50 times or more because they love the game so much. There are indidual modders out there that add and delete from the game all the time, though none of them have dared the monumental task of completely revamping the very old and primitive graphics.

Why? Because why should they bother? Its still a good game no matter how old the graphics are and its so damned much work for people.

Its the same with EQ2. There is no reason to spend all that money and time to upgrade graphics that really aren't that different from any other graphics in any other game out there.

The other day, I checked out Lord of the Rings Online. On high settings. And I checked out EQ2 on high settings. EQ2 actually looks better. And yet LOTRO is a newer game.

There is no reason to redo the EQ2 graphics other than to reduce lag time which is why they're doing the character models which are some of the biggest graphics hogs in the game.

So why do you keep complaining about it? You know they aren't going to do it, just like Lucasarts isn't going to update the graphics for KOTOR (even though they KNOW people would love them to after all the years of begging for KOTOR3 by the players) and yet you still continue to moan.

You are wasting your time. Just play it.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by robby5403

I think its time for a graphic update for this game which contains for the whole world. They could introduce this with a new expansion. DaoC had with Catacombs also a graphic update and they're updating the graphics from wow also. Only EQ 2 has still outdated graphics which never be updated/improved. With better graphics the game becomes more populated under people who also want nice graphics next to gameplay.

Outdated? Have you even loaded up EQ2 yet? EQ2 is up in the top three for graphics in mmos today.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by Loke666

Actually, they have promised a revamp of the character models and all clothes for years, thats why the races from the last expansions looks better, because they have it done already.

They stated three weeks ago, they are abandoning that project. The skeletal revamp is too taxing on EQ2's code. They did it for the Sarnak but thats about it.

They were working on it for years but they just recently stated no skeletal revamp....ill try to find the dev link.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• robby5403robby5403 Member Posts: 368
    Originally posted by ssnautilus

EQ2 has had its problems with graphics. Lots of AA issues (normally fixed via external applications which force AA), and plastic look/feel to the skins.
    I have always been aware of the fact that characters/ environments/ architecture/ objects have neither a "fantasy" feel to them, nor a "realistic" feel to them. Its all plastic.
    I agree its time for a graphics update - and imagine what would happen if EQ1 also got a super graphics update to make it look like AOC?!!! :)
    Also technology has evolved immnsely - check out wikipedia for some low poly bump mapping and parallax mapping techniques: Wiki

Would be cool if they would also do such a big update with EQ2 :P

• LeemegLeemeg Member UncommonPosts: 230

Actually, they have promised a revamp of the character models and all clothes for years, thats why the races from the last expansions looks better, because they have it done already. they showed a revamped human in Leipzig 2 years ago and say that it is in work but they have been working on it for 3 years now so Im not sure they ever do it.
    The rest they wont and they wont get an uppgrade for multicores either but they might include some new features from new GFX cards.
    But its sad that they dont uses lightning, shadows and fog better, the game looks ok but just a litle work and it could looks awesome.

The test server notes has a section with multicore support, so I think you are wrong that we will never see a upgrade for multicores :)

Saw also a note on that the bug that made shadow dissepair after a while is beeing worked on.

I will agree on that we will probably never see any major upgrade to the system, but they are working on pushing the current game further. Both in content and performance. Personally I think major upgrades is just troubles anyway, better with many small ones.

--
    Leemeg.

• cellinecelline Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Leemeg

The test server notes has a section with multicore support, so I think you are wrong that we will never see a upgrade for multicores :)

Saw also a note on that the bug that made shadow dissepair after a while is beeing worked on.

I will agree on that we will probably never see any major upgrade to the system, but they are working on pushing the current game further. Both in content and performance. Personally I think major upgrades is just troubles anyway, better with many small ones.

Yay that's the first step into the road to graphical upgrade I think !!

Also, devs have said that they're working on some secret performance improvements and we can see these in the upcoming Shadow Odyssey   

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

Someone already posted some nice screens here awhile back and made a thread on the settings they used to reach that look.  Search for that thread, as I forget the user name, and you'll see the graphics are fine.

As has been recycled on the EQ2 boards over and over again what is needed is to put the load more onto the video card instead of the current imbalance to the processor.  That's what is really needed here.

Edit:  Meh woops.  3 day old thread.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614

Alright, before this thread gets too much misinformation, let's look at what's REALLY happening:

Skeletal revamp:

Ditched. It's just not going to happen. According to devs, the skeletal revamp they were working on would, at first, take them back so far in development that it's just not going to be advantageous to do. In other words, they would have to remove ALL current dressing, animations, and world interactivity to make it work correctly, and it would put them so far back, they would never catch up to even current development. They would have to rework ALL animations, scrap ALL the gear look and feel, and even have to completely redo world objects that the characters interact with. While a great idea, it's better to take what they have and MAKE it work, than to start all over again after 4 expansions and more world than they know what to do with.

If they would have done this back during DoF, and the expansion curve was 1 year or more at that time, then it might've been slightly possible, but now, it is just too late. Plus, the change in appearance would've been so great, that we wouldn't have even recognized our own characters. That just wasn't something SoE wanted to happen. They still wanted the world and characters to be similar and would've lived with slight modifications in look and feel. People playing characters like lizards, cats, and ratonga really love their characters and definitely would not have liked the change.

Engine revamp:

This is happening right now. Currently test has a cpu overhaul that allows for multi-core cpu usage. This should hit live before the expansion. Next, the graphical upgrade should allow better usage of current, and future gpu's. As you may or may not know, one of the problems with memory and EQ2 is that a lot of the graphical information is still cpu intensive. If you've ever watched the memory on your graphics card while playing, you'll notice your card is barely even being used or taxed at all. With a better utilization of gpu's, it'll free up cpu's and ram and allow the cards to "do their job" more effectively.

Do not know the effect of any graphical upgrades yet, as they are still in the development stage, but the multi-core support is getting raves. Multi-core users on test are absolutely raving about the difference in performance already, and we should have a patch soon updating the live servers.

Dance baby dance:

Now that they've scrapped the skeletal revamp, they will be revamping armors, dancing, upgrading animations, and working on look and feel. According to the devs, they may never have furniture interactivity. It's slightly possible, but don't count on it. But they'll just have to adjust armor look, add animations for different dances, fighting postures, and all around look and feel without compromising the current world symmetry.

Keep in mind that EQ2 is never gonna be Soulcalibur, but there should be more variety in graphics coming up. Of course, that is one of the charms of the game to be more realistic in nature. It's just going to take better utilization of current hardware to make them more noticable and reworking to make it more appealing.

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• ssnautilusssnautilus Member Posts: 373
    Originally posted by bahamut1

Keep in mind that EQ2 is never gonna be Soulcalibur, but there should be more variety in graphics coming up. Of course, that is one of the charms of the game to be more realistic in nature. It's just going to take better utilization of current hardware to make them more noticable and reworking to make it more appealing.

To the Devs:

I have said it before, and I'll say it again - QFE:

NO PLASTIC!

ahem... thanks.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

I have to say that I have a character on test.

I don't have a multi-core cpu but you wouldn't believe the difference (I'm working on getting one. Going to build one myself). The zones load alot faster and it doesn't feel so bogged down. The difference is so big that I actually prefer to play on test (even though I don't like the increased experience). It doesn't feel like its taking up nearly as much cpu. Whatever they did, its working.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Narug

Someone already posted some nice screens here awhile back and made a thread on the settings they used to reach that look.  Search for that thread, as I forget the user name, and you'll see the graphics are fine.
    As has been recycled on the EQ2 boards over and over again what is needed is to put the load more onto the video card instead of the current imbalance to the processor.  That's what is really needed here.
    Edit:  Meh woops.  3 day old thread.

I was the one who made that thread. Just go to the top of the forum list for it. mmorpg.com made it a sticky. If anyone has any additons or info on current or future graphic post info there.

I wanted to make a thread where people could get info on graphic issues with EQ2 because they can be a bit complicated.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I would rather a UI revamp, Imo the graphics in EQ2 are wonderful I would give them a 9/10 if they just added more spell effects to the game.

I would put EQ2 forth in graphics behind Lotro, AoC and Vanguard.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Originally posted by Z3R01

I would rather a UI revamp, Imo the graphics in EQ2 are wonderful I would give them a 9/10 if they just added more spell effects to the game.

I have a pretty close rating to yours, EQ2 is 2nd on my list, same games different order. AoC, EQ2, Vanguard, LoTRO. Yes I think EQ2 is better then LoTRO. Yes I know art and graphic. Not going to list my credentials but they are significant. I do think LoTRO has some for the best graphic in mmos but they felt flat to me. Graphics are more then just how pretty they are and LoTRO are pretty.

For me it is actually how dimensional the graphics feel and how consistent the character graphics work with the art of the environment. EQ2 excels in the area. EQ2 does not have the flashiest graphics compared to those other games but they seem believable as a living world. AoC does this really well but the game does not live up to the graphics.

There are things I would like to see updated but mostly in the area of graphic performance more then art. I simple think that even after 4 years they are some of the best graphics in the buisness. That is if you have the rig and the game setup right to enjoy them. Most people who do not like EQ2 graphic never really get the chance to enjoy them. I said most and not all, so no need to say you got game on maxed with good performance and still hate the graphic. I know that some dislike them because of the look but I think most never really have had the chance to play the game in its fullest glory. Still a winner after 4 years in my book.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by eccoton

I have a pretty close rating to yours, EQ2 is 2nd on my list, same games different order. AoC, EQ2, Vanguard, LoTRO. Yes I think EQ2 is better then LoTRO. Yes I know art and graphic. Not going to list my credentials but they are significant. I do think LoTRO has some for the best graphic in mmos but they felt flat to me. Graphics are more then just how pretty they are and LoTRO are pretty.

For me it is actually how dimensional the graphics feel and how consistent the character graphics work with the art of the environment. EQ2 excels in the area. EQ2 does not have the flashiest graphics compared to those other games but they seem believable as a living world. AoC does this really well but the game does not live up to the graphics.

There are things I would like to see updated but mostly in the area of graphic performance more then art. I simple think that even after 4 years they are some of the best graphics in the buisness. That is if you have the rig and the game setup right to enjoy them. Most people who do not like EQ2 graphic never really get the chance to enjoy them. I said most and not all, so no need to say you got game on maxed with good performance and still hate the graphic. I know that some dislike them because of the look but I think most never really have had the chance to play the game in its fullest glory. Still a winner after 4 years in my book.

I actually like EQ2 graphics, I have played all those games on high settings and all four of them look wonderful.(started VG trial today and it looks sweet)

To be honest Im more into clean UI design than overall game graphics hell the game playing now is Saga of Ryzom and that game looks similar to WoW.  I play it due to the crazy customization, crafting and community.

Gameplay > graphics

I only posted in the thread cause I disagreed with the "Eq2 needs a graphics update" debate.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614
    I actually like EQ2 graphics, I have played all those games on high settings and all four of them look wonderful.(started VG trial today and it looks sweet)
    To be honest Im more into clean UI design than overall game graphics hell the game playing now is Saga of Ryzom and that game looks similar to WoW.  I play it due to the crazy customization, crafting and community.
    Gameplay > graphics
    I only posted in the thread cause I disagreed with the "Eq2 needs a graphics update" debate.

Actually, it is more like a graphical utilization update. The graphics will probably look similar. I do wish they would redo the hair though.

Update the UI? Huh? I don't get it. Try this, cause it will never happen, not that they actually could...

http://www.eq2interface.com

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by robby5403

EQ2 graphics are ok, don't need to be updated, I still like the way the game looks.

What needs to be updated is the quantity of armor models which are still exactly the same of 4 years ago.

But SoE can't be bothered, they think people don't care if they look exactly the same as they looked 40 levels ago (although with different color)........

• Cams69Cams69 Member Posts: 4

The character models are bad, and get that plastic feel, like Vanguard...

Other than that I can't fathom anything about EQ2 being considered low quality.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Moirae

Thats not going to happen, sorry.
    Let me ask you this.... the best game of all time is pretty much KOTOR. But its old, even though people STILL play. Some people have even played it upwards of 50 times or more because they love the game so much. There are indidual modders out there that add and delete from the game all the time, though none of them have dared the monumental task of completely revamping the very old and primitive graphics.
    Why? Because why should they bother? Its still a good game no matter how old the graphics are and its so damned much work for people.
    Its the same with EQ2. There is no reason to spend all that money and time to upgrade graphics that really aren't that different from any other graphics in any other game out there.
    The other day, I checked out Lord of the Rings Online. On high settings. And I checked out EQ2 on high settings. EQ2 actually looks better. And yet LOTRO is a newer game.
    There is no reason to redo the EQ2 graphics other than to reduce lag time which is why they're doing the character models which are some of the biggest graphics hogs in the game.
    So why do you keep complaining about it? You know they aren't going to do it, just like Lucasarts isn't going to update the graphics for KOTOR (even though they KNOW people would love them to after all the years of begging for KOTOR3 by the players) and yet you still continue to moan.

You are wasting your time. Just play it.

Youre right about all things around but the Avatars are bad together with the armours.

It could also use some work with Shadows, lightning and fog, if it just used them better the game would look a lot better with minimal work.

Graphics do really matters when youre trying to get new players, how many new players do KOTOR got the last year? Keeping the old is one thing.

The best game is however Never winter nights :D

Originally posted by Cams69

The character models are bad, and get that plastic feel, like Vanguard...

Other than that I can't fathom anything about EQ2 being considered low quality.

I agree with "I can't fathom anything about EQ2 being considered low quality." However I do not understand the plastic comment. I have seen others post this comment and I just do not see it in reguards to EQ2. I think EQ2 has some of the best character models in an mmo and it is 4 years old. Here are a few shots. I added a close-up since one time when i posted picture I was accused of not using close-ups to hide the plastic feel. Some my not like the look some love the look but I do not get the plastic thing.

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I learned long ago that people have differing views on what looks nice and what doesn't. This is a good thing, I feel.

Now despite my attempts to take this into consideration, when I saw the character models being called 'plastic' I had to hold back a "OMG! WTF? U R teh BliNdzorZ!" type sensation.

EQ2 (like most games) has always split opinions on graphics. It's like Marmite, you either love it or hate it.

For me, the most 'plastic' appearance example are the character models from the upcoming Star Trek: Online by Cryptic. I know I'm not alone