Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The "Crappy PvE"

2»

Comments

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by samuraislyr

The only reason people are saying it's crappy PvE is because , none of it is new. It's the same old boring text that doesn't matter, same old kill x things, same old talk to this  person and that. WAR has a few intersting quest diversions such as PQ's but most of those are really just rep grinds in disguise. Even the more interesting quests like shooting things with a cannon is actually dull...static objects to shoot at and everything.
    That's really why people say it's crappy. All of that stuff in WAR is well done, not buggy and such but it's nothing new or exciting. It's WoW all over again except we get a big red circle to tell us where to go.

and wow was eq/other games all over again, just slightly improved.

so if war is slightly improved over that, with the pvp tint to it that wow advertised pre-release and forgot to deliver on in favor of the pardo/kaplan raidfest of stupidity.

then, um, what's your point?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Member UncommonPosts: 702

Some of the quests are very memorable. The biggest thing is PQ's. PQ's are better than anything I EVER did in WoW from 1-70. Period.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by jezvin

Originally posted by ethion

How many people have acually really given PvE a shot in this game?
    I have run though the T2 T3 and in beta some of the T4 dungeons and all of them were nothing better or worse than other MMOs.
    I've  had intresting boss fights where we needed to figure out what exactly was going on and how to counter it and such.
    Not to mention all the PvE unlocks and places in the game I really don't understand this whole idea that the game has bad PvE there is tons of it and alot of intresting stuff also.
    Anyone care to share how the PvE in this game is worse than any other?

The quests are I think above average.

Public quests concept is really good and the implementation is pretty cool.

Group oriented dungeons are poor there are very few of them.

PvE combat system is rather poor it is missing many elements from other combat systems that detracts from the variability of the encounters, so I give this one a poor rating as well.

So on the whole PvE experience in war is definitely below average.

Yeah this is the same crap people say, its lacking elements blah blah blah, care to enlighent us what is lacking?

One of the biggest elements missing is crowd control.  The ability to manage a tough pull or to manage adds that appear.  long duration roots, Mezing, charming, fear, lull type abilities for spitting.  Feign death, steath, to name a few.  These abilities while ruining pvp are core pve abilities to manage complex encounters.

There are other factors in encounters but I think war has them.  it would be nice if their was a good site with all the abilities for all classes listed.  What I have seen in group pve encounters in War have not been bad but what it will be later is hard to say. 

But then again why really compare the pve to other pve oriented games when this game is really about rvr which is where it is top of the heap?

---
    Ethion

• NogginNoggin Member Posts: 808

I find Public Quests kind of addictive, but until I hit Chapter 8 (maybe 9) of Chaos vs. Empire they were just a mediocre influence grind, I'll agree that up until this point they've been nothing very special.

Things changed for me when we did the Plaguewood Thicket PQ (The troll one in (not surprisingly) Troll Country.

The end boss of this is a Lord level Troll named Biletongue (iirc) and it took several attempts to take this guy down. It wasn't overly difficult, but it took organization. There were several times where, due to past PQ experience, people were just charging in to start wailing on the boss, but they got a rude awakening as he was two shotting Chosen and they weren't quite as invincible as they thought.

Anyway, after getting together 3 parties in a Warband, stopping everyone, buffing and getting ready we tackled the encounter and took down the Troll.

It felt good, similar to beating a boss in an instanced dungeon for the first time and there were lots of woots and cheers in the Warband chat when we had done it (nice work all who were there).

I hope that Public Quests continue in this way and they become more and more challenging requiring more organization as they go along.

Who knows I could be totally wrong and this could be the only enjoyable PQ that I ever do!

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69

How many people have acually really given PvE a shot in this game?
    I have run though the T2 T3 and in beta some of the T4 dungeons and all of them were nothing better or worse than other MMOs.
    I've  had intresting boss fights where we needed to figure out what exactly was going on and how to counter it and such.
    Not to mention all the PvE unlocks and places in the game I really don't understand this whole idea that the game has bad PvE there is tons of it and alot of intresting stuff also.
    Anyone care to share how the PvE in this game is worse than any other?

I can solo mobs 2 to 3 levels above my own and mobs 4 to 5 with a small but moderate amount of risk. The MOB AI is substandard by what I would want to see from a game today. I can pull mobs that should be social right through/ by one another and still get singles.  EQ1 had superior MOB AI.  The PVE content is insufficient to keep you on an even leveling pace and you will wind up with all the content done for a tier and fighting mobs 3 to 5 levels above you and getting gear you can't even wear for 2 or 3 levels. You need to PVP and that is a big issue if you play outside of peak playing hours. Often I have been the only preson in the zone during my normal playing hours. You can't PVP by yourself no matter how hard you try.

Can't complete the PQ's during off hours.

Forced joing of PQ when in a PQ area on unrelated matters.

Giving out quests that send you to a zone where you get chickened.

Tradeskills that so far are mostly useless Sitting staring at pots sprout for multiple minutes is not an engaging form of tradeskilling. No player interdependance for tradeskills.

No dungeons with any sort of depth or difficulty. 

I can go on for more but am tired of typing.

• NogginNoggin Member Posts: 808
    Originally posted by rafmeister

The PVE content is insufficient to keep you on an even leveling pace and you will wind up with all the content done for a tier and fighting mobs 3 to 5 levels above you and getting gear you can't even wear for 2 or 3 levels. You need to PVP and that is a big issue if you play outside of peak playing hours.

There is too much content in reality.

If you travel around and do the equivelant chapters in other pairings you'll find yourself fighting to complete content before you're too high level, especially if you mix it up with RvR and ALWAYS do the quests provided for that Scenario at each Warcamp (good money maker too by the way).

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Noggin

Originally posted by rafmeister

The PVE content is insufficient to keep you on an even leveling pace and you will wind up with all the content done for a tier and fighting mobs 3 to 5 levels above you and getting gear you can't even wear for 2 or 3 levels. You need to PVP and that is a big issue if you play outside of peak playing hours.

There is too much content in reality.

If you travel around and do the equivelant chapters in other pairings you'll find yourself fighting to complete content before you're too high level, especially if you mix it up with RvR and ALWAYS do the quests provided for that Scenario at each Warcamp (good money maker too by the way).

Traveling to the other realms PVE path and doing the content there basically destroys an already lackluster replayability value. I have been avoiding doing just that but have had to do so on a couple occasions to finish off a level just so I am not mindlessly grinding the simplistic mobs.