Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Clone! AND GrindFest

Comments

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Cynthe

Hey Mark posted this link on the source and I think many of you posting in this thread would be very interested in this article: The Escapist: Beautiful 21rst Century. It's all bout Aion, Warcraft and basically what we've been discussing here.

Thank you for the link, that was a good quick read.  I look forward to seeing Aion..I was kinda hoping we would see it in December, eitherway I hope it comes quicker rather then later in 2009

• TrissaTrissa Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by megafluxmega

EQ clone...only the truly uninformed call ANYTHING a wow clone. 
    There is a thing i cant understand very well of this sentence, how can be that WoW get 10 millions subs while the model, EQ, just got to 500K ? something is wrong here.  May be a reason could be that Blizzard developed  something enough different to attract 20 times more players?

NC soft sucks horribly, i dont see why you would put any faith in them to deliver anything BUT a P.O.S.
    Its curious but i think the opposite. My favorite game is still Lineage 2 and it is NCSoft developed and distributed game. It have some big problems but, anyway, i haven't played any other game  that satisfied me like L2. I see our tastes about games are so different.

Have a nice day

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

well the dev's did say that they took the best things from WOW. EQ, L2 and a few more games and tried to improve them in aion. So yes, you are correct in that respect. There not trying to reinvent the wheel. And this comes from them and not me. So When you say "wow clone" it really means nothing to me.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Trissa

There is a thing i cant understand very well of this sentence, how can be that WoW get 10 millions subs while the model, EQ, just got to 500K ? something is wrong here.  May be a reason could be that Blizzard developed  something enough different to attract 20 times more players?

Have a nice day

There's a very good reason for that. Everquest was NOT mainstream in it's golden age, only geeky boys in their basements played it along with a few geeky girls, sorry for the stereotype but that's the easiest way I can explain it real quick, and we know geeky is cool anyway ;P.

WoW is played by everyone and anyone. Hence the bigger numbers. Blizzard is a master at ripping off other people's ideas, repolishing it, and marketing it to high heavens. They are not so much better then other games but they are responsible for bringing more masses to the massively gaming world.

Also the success of Blizzard is not because they did something different, it's because they took what was already done and made it far less painful and more enjoyable, ie: enter easy mode.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

Thanks for the answer Cynthe, I almost agree all that you posted.

No just Blizzard, with more or less success all developpers are copying whatever they think is good for their games.

Sure EQ was opening the path, i dont have the right to doubt about it, never played EQ.

But in your post is the aswer "... and made it far less painful and more enjoyable, ie: enter easy mode. " this is the model that nowadays are following the developpers of these kind of games. Well its just one opinion.

Have a nice day 

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Have a nice day

There's a very good reason for that. Everquest was NOT mainstream in it's golden age, only geeky boys in their basements played it along with a few geeky girls, sorry for the stereotype but that's the easiest way I can explain it real quick, and we know geeky is cool anyway ;P.

WoW is played by everyone and anyone. Hence the bigger numbers. Blizzard is a master at ripping off other people's ideas, repolishing it, and marketing it to high heavens. They are not so much better then other games but they are responsible for bringing more masses to the massively gaming world.

Also the success of Blizzard is not because they did something different, it's because they took what was already done and made it far less painful and more enjoyable, ie: enter easy mode.

Well another thing you might all be forgetting is the absolutely awesome success of the Original Warcraft games. Did you guys ever play Warcraft 3 and the frozen thrown expansion? Millions of people played that game and I know for a fact that a lot of them tried out WoW as there first MMO and that just got more and more people to try it. As you mentioned about marketing WoW was and still is probably the best marketed MMO of all time. I mean I almost wet myself when I saw a commercial for FFXI 5 yrs ago and I don't remember ever seeing a commercial for any other MMO unless it was on G4 or something to that effect. Now you can't watch TV without seeing Mr T or minnie Me talking about their stupid WoW character. EQ was never marketed like, that it was more undergroundish even though it was probably one of the most successful underground games of all time.

Originally posted by k11keeper

Have a nice day

Well another thing you might all be forgetting is the absolutely awesome success of the Original Warcraft games. Did you guys ever play Warcraft 3 and the frozen thrown expansion? Millions of people played that game and I know for a fact that a lot of them tried out WoW as there first MMO and that just got more and more people to try it. As you mentioned about marketing WoW was and still is probably the best marketed MMO of all time. I mean I almost wet myself when I saw a commercial for FFXI 5 yrs ago and I don't remember ever seeing a commercial for any other MMO unless it was on G4 or something to that effect. Now you can't watch TV without seeing Mr T or minnie Me talking about their stupid WoW character. EQ was never marketed like, that it was more undergroundish even though it was probably one of the most successful underground games of all time.

Sure you are right on it, but i think the big Blizzard fans player base and the great marketing Blizzard did and is still doing can get people to try the game but not to keep it playing for long if the game is not entertaining them. Think on AoC, the marketing has been spectacular and they reach the most succesful launch in term of sales. But the game is now loosing players day after day.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by k11keeper

Have a nice day

Sure you are right on it, but i think the big Blizzard fans player base and the great marketing Blizzard did and is still doing can get people to try the game but not to keep it playing for long if the game is not entertaining them. Think on AoC, the marketing has been spectacular and they reach the most succesful launch in term of sales. But the game is now loosing players day after day.

Blizz is probably already working on WOW 2 with a next generation engine, they should be anyway if there smart. They know the life span of mmo's and stay one step ahead of it.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

I'm not sure if Blizzard is working on a WoW2 right now. WoW is still a relatively new MMO right now and they've only released 1 expansion soon to be 2. I can't remember how old EQ was before they made EQ2 but some people thought that was too early because they were still playing EQ. Another thing is they are making tons and tons of money keeping WoW going right now with all those subscriptions making a new game wouldn't be profitable right now. Another thing is I think they were just spending a bunch of there time on Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. If they are gonna make another MMO maybe they will try there hand at a sci-fi MMO and use the awesome success and world that is starcraft. That's something I could see blizzard doing. I mean hey it worked amazing for them once why not try it again.

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Oh yes I did play Warcraft 3, that was a really fun game. Certainly it's success is what propelled WoW to the forefront of the MMO market, or was it's entry into it anyhow. Same with Warhammer, would people have been so hyped about it if it was an entirely new IP?

I don't think Blizz is working on WoW2, it's most likely Starcrat Online, that's my bet. Not that I care mind you.

AoC is losing PvP players en masse, but that game has a very high amount of role players... Which Funcom if they are smart will have to concentrate on way more if they want their game to survive, and I mean survive not thrive. ;) Trying to get their PvP peoples back at this point is probably a lost cause with WAR out and Aion coming out, Spellborn..... O.o

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• tommyc360tommyc360 Member Posts: 26

I think aion will be a sweet game, reading up on the dev's made me think they know what they are doing. It might not be anything "groundbreaking" in the mmo wold but it its a solid game with  a fresh face i'll play just to escape azeroth for a while ;) x

Played: Wow, EQ2, LoTRo, SRO, KO, DAoC, RFO, LoA.
    Waiting for: Darkfall, Aion, WoTLK.

"Talking with friends on Vent is what makes a game" - Me

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Have a nice day

It also removed a lot of the artificial barriers of difficulty.  Take drinking for instance.  Is sitting down and drinking for a minute or three after each and every fight something that makes the game more difficult?  Yes.  In the same way that having an uncontrollable camera that hides behind a cliff so you can't see your character increases the difficulty. 

A lot of the difficulties in Everquest were just plain the game being really obnoxious.  Having to go to an online site to find a questgiver isn't awesome - it's just utterly annoying especially when he's one of 10,000 undifferentiated NPCs with slightly tweaked models.  Epic corpse treks added a whole new layer of difficulty - and also drove you completely insane (Your corpse is in a wall!  Your corpse is in a wall!  Sucks to be you, noob).

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• SuniojSunioj Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by blackhand231

I just hate it when people come to these fourms and post stupid ass comments like "oh this game is just another WoW clone." or "Just another Korean Grindfest.". it makes me sad to see how stupid and ignorant some people are. if your going to say shit about a game do some research on it then come here and post.
    I will admit this game is a little bit like WoW, but then again what game isnt?  it has been stated thousands of times before that Aion isnt really anything new its just taking stuff from other games and improving them, and throwing in a new feature in every now and then. like the stigma system, and the fact you can take stats from one set of armor and put them on another. This game isnt trying anything new instead its just playing it safe. this game looks like its going to be a nice Solid Game. So those who want to play a game that isnt going to fall apart on them i would look into this.
    And for those who say this is just another asian grinder LOL. this also has been stated that this game is going for a more weastern style game (questing and such). so plz All people who come to these fourms PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ do some research instead of just leaving stuipid ignorant comments.

Sorry for the Rant everyone.....

Well said.! So many ignorant people think it's fun to just put a thoughtless rant up and hope they get some sort of reaction.  Instead they tend to get called out, and they just continue to post thoughtless crap.

Momo sucks, I have proof.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I pity the ignorance of these people. It's not anywhere close to rage, just pity.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

It's gotten so bad at times around these forums (Aion in specific and even General Discussion) that I find myself in a perma-facepalm mode sometimes.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494
    Originally posted by Nadril

It's gotten so bad at times around these forums (Aion in specific and even General Discussion) that I find myself in a perma-facepalm mode sometimes.

Watchout.  Your oily hands will cause your face to break out.  Just think to yourself...  Do you want the creators of these posts or those that agree and buy into them playing whatever game you are or running Warsong Gulch all day long?  These posts make me happy in the pants.

• DarkogieDarkogie Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Qmire

Aion will be great it's the only mmorpg since WoW that's actually trying to be polished before being released, i've never gotten those inbred wow haters, i played mmorpgs before wow came along and played wow beta 2 years before it was released and thought it was the most polished mmorpg just back then, 1 year before Aion is set to be released i saw a lot of it and was like "holy crap, it's been so many years since i had this feeling!".

Aion is the only mmorpg, "to be released", lately that seems worth a damn when it comes to quality and polishment.

I can't wait till it releases,  But when it does, it will actually be more than just a pretender.

The haters can crawl back to their gloomy forums...

Amen. Well said. I have that same feeling i'd had when I was playing the WoW beta.I can't wait for pvpve. When I heard that I tought of Tara dungeon in Anarchy Online. Much fun back in the day.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I just hate it when people come to these fourms and post stupid ass comments like "oh this game is just another WoW clone." or "Just another Korean Grindfest.". it makes me sad to see how stupid and ignorant some people are. if your going to say shit about a game do some research on it then come here and post.
    I will admit this game is a little bit like WoW, but then again what game isnt?  it has been stated thousands of times before that Aion isnt really anything new its just taking stuff from other games and improving them, and throwing in a new feature in every now and then. like the stigma system, and the fact you can take stats from one set of armor and put them on another. This game isnt trying anything new instead its just playing it safe. this game looks like its going to be a nice Solid Game. So those who want to play a game that isnt going to fall apart on them i would look into this.
    And for those who say this is just another asian grinder LOL. this also has been stated that this game is going for a more weastern style game (questing and such). so plz All people who come to these fourms PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ PLZ do some research instead of just leaving stuipid ignorant comments.

Sorry for the Rant everyone.....

Wait a minute. You admit that the game is a WoW clone (or little bit like WoW, lol) yet you want people to not post ignorant comments saying it is?

From what I have heard and seen this game is very much a WoW clone and the grind is more than most current MMORPGs so I dont see how it is being any ignorant to say what the game is like.

I would say its a little bit of WAR, a little bit of Lineage 2 and a whole slew of WoW with little innovation mixed in.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

i cant see how you think this game is like wow, i havent enjoyed wow since pre bc, i unsubbed after bc and never went back to the suck.  aion is actually fun, it actually gets me involved in gameplay and makes me enjoy my online gaming time, my friends prefer it over wow too, hmmm.  i guess youre just a wow fanboi come to troll on our parade because we found something we enjoy and that makes you angry at us.

• KavaskousKavaskous Member Posts: 72

I'm just going to say: You're on drugs, I have never once had to grind, and every game is trying to be WoW in terms of its success, WoW just has a majority of the mechanics found in most MMOs nowadays. You're no different than the million other people calling "WoWClone" on this game like so many others, and you, like the other million people who have said the same thing, need to be cockslapped you PvE scrub.

Leader/Founder of Deritus Free Company - Chocobo Knights of Apocalypse Linkshell

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

As launch approaches ever so swiftly I try and avoid the forums (AS is worse) all together because they've become overflowing cesspools of nothingness.

Aion gets my vote for most-hated-game-most-people-have-not-played-yet.

• AikkoAikko Member Posts: 25

The ppl that say its a grindfest or wow clone are just plain haters or ppl who haven't played beta. So i woulnd't take it personal.

• StaatsschutzStaatsschutz Member Posts: 90

I just hate it when people come to these fourms and post stupid ass comments like "oh this game is just another WoW clone." or "Just another Korean Grindfest.".........

....I will admit this game is a little bit like WoW, but then again what game isnt?  it has been stated thousands of times before that Aion isnt really anything new its just taking stuff from other games.......

you kind of contradict yourself, and that within two adjacent paragraphs.............

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Call it the idiot filter. Those who do not check their rabid preconceptions do no deserve to play. Really at this day and age with so much information at our fingertips making sweeping assumptions is so stupid and my honest belief is that people like that I am not even remotely inclined to play with and am glad are not playing.

Chamber of Chains
  • PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

To me, AION is a pointless game... they give every player everything, then ask them to develope their character?

Where is the triumph..?

The funny thing is all these new games are focused around PvP and Clan vs Clan or RvR and glitzy features...  in hopes of grabbing just a small percentage (%) of the WoW'tards trying to prove they aren't carebear and are really tugh kids by turning on Blizzard and seeking anything that perceived "hardcore".

And today, that means anything thatn slaps PvP or Siege on their website.

WoW kiddies are growing up and wanting to prove themselves... but cannot find a stomping ground, so they are eating up any game that comes along... and that just enough to make this piss poor game designers MILLIONS..!

Go play Dark Age of Camelot...   all of you!   You'll thank me and then 3 years from now, you understand simple and diverse is better than complex and balanced.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon