Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Queen Amidala Ship doesn't look as advertised.....

2»

Comments

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by GrandAm

Originally posted by Obraik

Obraik,
    Please help educate me.
    http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Star_Wars_Galaxies_The_Complete_Online_Adventures_109136.asp
    According to this article this is available to those that d/l COA premium.
    Do you know if some one that purchased the no longer available boxed COA are retoactivly given this.  No Starter Kit was ever purchased so no previous ITV was held.  It seems to me the premium d/l and boxed COA are the same.
    If it is only available through the d/l COA premium version, I feel this screws over anyone that purchased a boxed COA as they both give an AT-RT.  IMO it would not be worth paying ~$20 USD to get only this item since all of the other in game content is exactly the same as the boxed version.  IMO if the only way for someone that bought the boxed COA and gets no additional content beyond this ship by purchasing the d/l, it reaks of pure item RMT.
    Please correct me if I am wrong or misunderstood.
    Thanks.

Yes, this ITV can only be recieved from buying the digital download of the Complete pack and it's not retroactive for those that got the shelf copy.  New vehicles have always been given as a reward for buying a new pack/expansion through out the games history.  JTL had the Flash speeder, the retail copy of ROTW had the BARC, the DD had the Varactyl, ToOW had the Desert Skiff, Starter Pack had the faction ITVs, Complete had the AT-RT and the DD has the Royal ITV & AT-RT.

You don't have to buy the pack to get an ITV tho, you can spend 15min and complete a collection to get an ITV that does everything any other ITV can do.

Thanks for the response.

I wasn't so much interested in the idea of an ITV; I just gathered that this is how this skin/item is used in game.

The main thing that troubled me and needed education on was digital vs. shelf COA and how this skin/item is aquired.  I understand that every expansion came with a bonus item.  IMO it doesn't apply here.  Aside from the ship there is absolutly no other new or different in game content added to the game.  Anyone that has a shelf COA has all the exact content including updates as the person that purchased digitally.  In short no expansion, no content added except that ship.

JTL added new content in game, so did RoTW, ToOW, Starter Kit gave previously seperate content together, and COA combined all remaining content into one.  I can see where the addition of bonus items can be called an actual bonus in addition to content.

But in the case of Shelf COA people having to buy digital COA to get this item when nothing else about the game changes at all after that purchase, IMO this is nothing more than an RMT.

I am not saying people shouldn't enjoy it if they have it.  I am just stating my opinion.

Cheers

Actually, no, the Starter Kit (which only included the base game and JTL) and original Complete pack offered nothing for those that had already purchased everything already.  RoTW also had two versions of it, a retail and a DD version, both of which offered different rewards.  This is not a "new" (the DD pack has been out nearly a year now...) concept suddenly.

You are right.  However I did leave out the premise that not everyone that buys the starter pack automatically had already purchased JTL in addition to ED.  I agree there are those that had all expansions before COA.  I was not.  RoTW was my previous packed purchased.  I did not purchase ToOW.  In my case it was an upgrade of new in game content not the reward item.  Even though ToOW had been out for almost a year.  Please take note you mentioned RoTW having two different rewards.  If the shelf and DD were available at the same time it makes sense they would have different rewards.  I don't remember this ship being available under DD at the time Shelf COAs went in stores.  Maybe I'm wrong you could correct me please if I am.  Also again RoTW have different rewards.  The DD of COA and Shelf COA both have AT-RTs.  What special reward in game does the Shelf COA give the DD doesn't.  If it was good enough for  both RoTW to have completely different items, why isn't good enough for shelf COA.

Also keep in mind I said RMT for people upgrading shelf COA to DD COA.  I did use the word new, instead change that to additional.  As in there is no additional in game content between the two except the ship.  As a result they bought it for the ship, although I concede there is non in game bonus material like concept art and such it may have been purchase for.  At least by people that already bought all expansions individually.  Shelf COA had all the same non in game content on an enclosed DVD in the box, so I can't see Shelf COA people buying it for that.

Any way thanks for the responses.  And just because I call it an RMT doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate business model or that I think it shouldn't be in game for people to enjoy. 

Edit:  I pulled my COA box it has all the same non in game additional content as DD and right on the back it says "exclusive" AT-RT.  Again if it was good enough for RoTW to have different reward items than why does COA DD have all Shelf content plus a ship that Shelf does not?

I agree that this is wrong to do, since I bought the shelf version because I prefer having a tangible product when I buy games. Getting a special ship with the download version in addition to everything that comes in the shelf version simply because it saves SOE money on boxes is ridiculous.

But what's done is done. We are talking about SOE here.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Nothing in this game is how it should be anymore.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Obraik,
    Please help educate me.
    http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Star_Wars_Galaxies_The_Complete_Online_Adventures_109136.asp
    According to this article this is available to those that d/l COA premium.
    Do you know if some one that purchased the no longer available boxed COA are retoactivly given this.  No Starter Kit was ever purchased so no previous ITV was held.  It seems to me the premium d/l and boxed COA are the same.
    If it is only available through the d/l COA premium version, I feel this screws over anyone that purchased a boxed COA as they both give an AT-RT.  IMO it would not be worth paying ~$20 USD to get only this item since all of the other in game content is exactly the same as the boxed version.  IMO if the only way for someone that bought the boxed COA and gets no additional content beyond this ship by purchasing the d/l, it reaks of pure item RMT.
    Please correct me if I am wrong or misunderstood.
    Thanks.

Yes, this ITV can only be recieved from buying the digital download of the Complete pack and it's not retroactive for those that got the shelf copy.  New vehicles have always been given as a reward for buying a new pack/expansion through out the games history.  JTL had the Flash speeder, the retail copy of ROTW had the BARC, the DD had the Varactyl, ToOW had the Desert Skiff, Starter Pack had the faction ITVs, Complete had the AT-RT and the DD has the Royal ITV & AT-RT.

You don't have to buy the pack to get an ITV tho, you can spend 15min and complete a collection to get an ITV that does everything any other ITV can do.

Thanks for the response.

I wasn't so much interested in the idea of an ITV; I just gathered that this is how this skin/item is used in game.

The main thing that troubled me and needed education on was digital vs. shelf COA and how this skin/item is aquired.  I understand that every expansion came with a bonus item.  IMO it doesn't apply here.  Aside from the ship there is absolutly no other new or different in game content added to the game.  Anyone that has a shelf COA has all the exact content including updates as the person that purchased digitally.  In short no expansion, no content added except that ship.

JTL added new content in game, so did RoTW, ToOW, Starter Kit gave previously seperate content together, and COA combined all remaining content into one.  I can see where the addition of bonus items can be called an actual bonus in addition to content.

But in the case of Shelf COA people having to buy digital COA to get this item when nothing else about the game changes at all after that purchase, IMO this is nothing more than an RMT.

I am not saying people shouldn't enjoy it if they have it.  I am just stating my opinion.

Cheers

Actually, no, the Starter Kit (which only included the base game and JTL) and original Complete pack offered nothing for those that had already purchased everything already.  RoTW also had two versions of it, a retail and a DD version, both of which offered different rewards.  This is not a "new" (the DD pack has been out nearly a year now...) concept suddenly.

You are right.  However I did leave out the premise that not everyone that buys the starter pack automatically had already purchased JTL in addition to ED.  I agree there are those that had all expansions before COA.  I was not.  RoTW was my previous packed purchased.  I did not purchase ToOW.  In my case it was an upgrade of new in game content not the reward item.  Even though ToOW had been out for almost a year.  Please take note you mentioned RoTW having two different rewards.  If the shelf and DD were available at the same time it makes sense they would have different rewards.  I don't remember this ship being available under DD at the time Shelf COAs went in stores.  Maybe I'm wrong you could correct me please if I am.  Also again RoTW have different rewards.  The DD of COA and Shelf COA both have AT-RTs.  What special reward in game does the Shelf COA give the DD doesn't.  If it was good enough for  both RoTW to have completely different items, why isn't good enough for shelf COA.

Also keep in mind I said RMT for people upgrading shelf COA to DD COA.  I did use the word new, instead change that to additional.  As in there is no additional in game content between the two except the ship.  As a result they bought it for the ship, although I concede there is non in game bonus material like concept art and such it may have been purchase for.  At least by people that already bought all expansions individually.  Shelf COA had all the same non in game content on an enclosed DVD in the box, so I can't see Shelf COA people buying it for that.

Any way thanks for the responses.  And just because I call it an RMT doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate business model or that I think it shouldn't be in game for people to enjoy. 

Edit:  I pulled my COA box it has all the same non in game additional content as DD and right on the back it says "exclusive" AT-RT.  Again if it was good enough for RoTW to have different reward items than why does COA DD have all Shelf content plus a ship that Shelf does not?

The DD for RoTW is still available now, the retail version is not.  There was an overlap between the retail and DD version for the COA as well.

If someone wants to pay to get an item that does the same thing that they can get for free then heh, that's their problem and they really don't have a case for bitching.

• HozloffHozloff Member Posts: 193
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

Nothing in this game is how it should be anymore.

QFE

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Originally posted by PapaLazarou

ATi 4870X2 2GBGDDR5
    Same on my 8800GT and my 3870X2.........

It looks nothing like the picture advertised, frigging like how in their pictures they can have Post Processing on at the same time as AA and even with drivers of Nvidia and ATI you can't force them on at the same time, as soon as you turn PP on in game it shuts off AA on even from the drivers.
    The shadows though are they as borked for anyone else? I never remembed them being this bad but now they make everything look like a cartoon, they are too dark and heavy and often you get some making a weird line across. The ones on character models and faces though are horrible too.

This game has a long history of ads not looking at all like what's actually in the game.  One of the senators wrote a very thorough post on the official forums explaining this and asking SOE/LEC to get their act together.  One of the things that stood out in this regard was the picture of one of the iconic classes wearing armour that the game wouldn't actually allow them to wear.  That was just silly.

It's also not new for players to be told that it must be a problem with their system, or to suggest (jokingly or otherwise) that changes were made after the advertisement in response to player feedback. 

It definetly didn't always look the way it does currently, here's some screenshots people posted of it after the release:

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=490430

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=491094

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=494922

I absolutely believe you that it didn't always look the way it does now.  You've always been straight with people, even if we take opposing sides of a debate.  I've always respected that.  What I'm saying is that I doubt SOE made the ship uglier because customers were saying, "hey this ship looks too nice." 

If they did in fact change the appearance of the ship because some focus group said it was too shiny, well then I guess the OP would no longer be considered the target audience for this ingame perk that he paid rl cash for, and tbh that would suck.

The fact remains that the ship in the ads looks amazing, you pay rl cash to get it, and in game it now looks like crap.  Call me crazy (I'm sure others call me worse) but I think that's bad business.

ATi 4870X2 2GBGDDR5

It looks nothing like the picture advertised, frigging like how in their pictures they can have Post Processing on at the same time as AA and even with drivers of Nvidia and ATI you can't force them on at the same time, as soon as you turn PP on in game it shuts off AA on even from the drivers.
    The shadows though are they as borked for anyone else? I never remembed them being this bad but now they make everything look like a cartoon, they are too dark and heavy and often you get some making a weird line across. The ones on character models and faces though are horrible too.

This game has a long history of ads not looking at all like what's actually in the game.  One of the senators wrote a very thorough post on the official forums explaining this and asking SOE/LEC to get their act together.  One of the things that stood out in this regard was the picture of one of the iconic classes wearing armour that the game wouldn't actually allow them to wear.  That was just silly.

It's also not new for players to be told that it must be a problem with their system, or to suggest (jokingly or otherwise) that changes were made after the advertisement in response to player feedback. 

It definetly didn't always look the way it does currently, here's some screenshots people posted of it after the release:

I absolutely believe you that it didn't always look the way it does now.  You've always been straight with people, even if we take opposing sides of a debate.  I've always respected that.  What I'm saying is that I doubt SOE made the ship uglier because customers were saying, "hey this ship looks too nice." 

If they did in fact change the appearance of the ship because some focus group said it was too shiny, well then I guess the OP would no longer be considered the target audience for this ingame perk that he paid rl cash for, and tbh that would suck.

The fact remains that the ship in the ads looks amazing, you pay rl cash to get it, and in game it now looks like crap.  Call me crazy (I'm sure others call me worse) but I think that's bad business.

I do agree that it looks pretty bad now, and I started a thread on it a few days ago on the Official forums,

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=752073

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

kinda looks like someone vomited on a turd....

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Wow, your creative use of words is so amazing...

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Wow, your creative use of words is so amazing...

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

ATi 4870X2 2GBGDDR5

I do agree that it looks pretty bad now, and I started a thread on it a few days ago on the Official forums,

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?topic_id=752073

Hey, now that's very cool :)  Nice going Obraik.