Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for new game is LotRO what I want?

I don't want you to make up my mind for me but I would like some information.

I posted in the LFG forum and while I appreciate the 2 response I got. Well I only got to response for games that are still in development.

I am looking for a game that doesn't require much button mashing and moving around during combat especially PvP. What I have seen of the combat I like but how do it work in grouping and raiding with many characters on the screen? Also I would like an MMO that is not gearcentric.

I have started the free trial and really haven't done much so far because of work but what little I have looks good but I was wondering about further up the line what the game is like.

I tried Ryzom and think it is a great game but I am an old grognard and really couldn't get into the world or story. I prefer the more medieval look and feel, a more traditional fantasy. I suppose you would be hard pressed to find a more traditional world then LotR. That being said how does the crafting and gear situation compare to Ryzom? Can you mosey thru the game smelling the roses or do you have to race in order to compete with other players?

Thank you for any info.

Comments

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Its hard to say.. If you want a pure PvP game then LotrO doesnt have much to offer, even if PvMP can be alot fun! When you reach level 10 on a character you can create a level 50 monster character and see how it works! As a monster player you dont even have any gear so its not gear dependant... Even while playing as the good guys the gear doesnt matter that much!

Hope you enjoy the game!

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806
    Originally posted by Twohededboy

I don't want you to make up my mind for me but I would like some information.
    I posted in the LFG forum and while I appreciate the 2 response I got. Well I only got to response for games that are still in development.
    I am looking for a game that doesn't require much button mashing and moving around during combat especially PvP. What I have seen of the combat I like but how do it work in grouping and raiding with many characters on the screen? Also I would like an MMO that is not gearcentric.
    Well, Lotro has your standard combat system with normal amount of button mashing. As for movement during combat there is two aspects; movement in PvE and PvP. PvE require minimal movement, but PvP requires alot. (no auto-turning is really annoying) If you dont like alot of moving around, I recommend hunter for PvP.
    One thing I like about Lotro is that is not item centric at all. Sure, spitzy gear can be good, but not required to do well in PvP and PvE. Have to give turbine credit for this, because this is a common aspect for all turbine games, with the exception of DDO.  
    I have started the free trial and really haven't done much so far because of work but what little I have looks good but I was wondering about further up the line what the game is like.
    I tried Ryzom and think it is a great game but I am an old grognard and really couldn't get into the world or story. I prefer the more medieval look and feel, a more traditional fantasy. I suppose you would be hard pressed to find a more traditional world then LotR. That being said how does the crafting and gear situation compare to Ryzom? Can you mosey thru the game smelling the roses or do you have to race in order to compete with other players?
    Only tried Ryzom on a free trial, so dont know about their crafting. But I have a Grandmaster Armourer, Scholer and a couple of Grandmaster Havesting skills, and I say this, there is no rush to Grandmaster title. Take your time and read up on your chosen craft profession to find out which ingredients you need to collect from loots. Crafting in Lotro can be very rewarding no matter what you current crafting skill is...
    Thank you for any info.

Good Luck

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

it is a free trial try it. Will I like oranges if I have never had one?

I miss DAoC

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Well, my opinion of LOTRO is that its basicly   the gameplay of WoW with better graphics and the LOTR lore. Well basicly any MMO released in the past 4 years really has the same feel as gameplay goes.

It was a fun game but I just didn't like the way PvP was handled, but the PvE is great. In any MMO I never move in combat while PvE  unless im about to die or running backwards while shooting a bow.  PvP on the other hand its always good to be on the move in combat.  Just not bunnyhopping and crap like in WoW.

• TwohededboyTwohededboy Member Posts: 200
    Originally posted by Jackdog

I appreciate your input. This has really opened my eyes to the error my post . In future I will take your post to heart before I request any information on a MMO.

Unfortunately I will no be able to avail myself to your future pearls of wisdom because I am fucking blocking you.

• DarkhosisDarkhosis Member Posts: 33

LOTRO is very solid MMO and will keep you entertained far beyond what it costs.  Pretty cheap just 19.99 for the full game via digital download.  Then 15 bucks a month or you can buy a lifetime for 299$ but they have a special sometimes its only 199.

If you like questing it's a great game.  You don't have to be hardcore to enjoy this game at all.

Very well polished game about to get even more polished with an upcoming expansion.  But already the UI system, crafting system, just about everything else are top notch.

The areas are beautiful, spooky, to sinister.  If you like nice scenery you'll constantly be going "That is really kick ass!" your entire journey to 50 and beyond.

Plenty of group content and plenty of solo content.  Pick your poison.

It's true it isn't a PVP oriented game but the PVP that is to be had is very fun.

Lots of events and festivals throughout the year.

There's also options that can make your combat even easier.  Like one is auto-move to target you can turn it on.  When it is on you'll automatically walk to and face whatever you attack.  Plethora of quickslots, macros, etc... You can set.

If you guys want total ease of combat buy yourself a G15 Logitech keyboard.  You can program an entire fight or whatever to just 1 key.

Anyways hope the info helps.

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331

I appreciate your input. This has really opened my eyes to the error my post . In future I will take your post to heart before I request any information on a MMO.

Unfortunately I will no be able to avail myself to your future pearls of wisdom because I am fucking blocking you.

Get used to that attitude Twohededboy, because if you start playing this game more than half the people you meet are going to be snobby douchebags, don't be persauded by the "LoTRO has the best community" praise because it's a bunch of BS. Enjoy.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Yeah, I hate to say it (since I got a lifetime sub about 2 weeks after I started playing), but most the long time LOTRO players in the game are rather stuck up and snobby. Which is still better than most MMORPG communities, but not what it's made out to be...

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• blindside044blindside044 Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by logicbox9

Get used to that attitude Twohededboy, because if you start playing this game more than half the people you meet are going to be snobby douchebags, don't be persauded by the "LoTRO has the best community" praise because it's a bunch of BS. Enjoy.

LOL!! Oh no, a games praises itself as having the best community, so if you run across any assholes then it must not be true! OH NOEZ!!! ...I don't think so. The percentage of people playing to those that are stuck up douchebags is low, almost miniature compared to almost every other MMO. Yes, this game probably has the best community (from what I have played... and I have played a lot of MMOs) but also, yes, this game also has its assholes, as does every game... so yea....   :)

• BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806

If Jackdogs reply is considered a "snobby douchbags' reply", then I guess you are little bit too touchy. 

I dont see anything wrong with his reply. If an OP askes questions about any game, which provides a free trial, you will with 100% certainty can a free trial type answer. Its not snobby, its the norm!

To the OP: Blocking a dude something as trivial as this? I guess I will beware next time I try to answer your questions   

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Im sorry but I take real offence at this comment. On the 3 servers I have been on I have never once seen any imature behaviour, and the way your post is written says it all. You probably did not fit in for a reason!

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I have been playing LOTRO for a while now and I find it to be a fun game.  I haven't tried the PVMP combat but find the PVE to be a lot of fun.  The world is beautiful and it is really fun to run across something I recognize from the books.  The crafting system is fun also and my roommate and I have been able to keep our characters nicely equipped.  I'm looking forward to the upcoming expansion to expand the game.  The legendary weapon system sounds like it will be good addition and something to work toward.

I have only played on one server but the community on it has been a pleasant experience.  Except for Breeland chat, between the gold spammers and just plain idiots Breeland is a place to turn off broadcast.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

I have tried trial of LotRO and can say that the game have great feeeling. Quests looks very WoW like but much better in the same time. Lore is great. The only problem is that there is no standard PvP, but if its not problem for you just go and try the game.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757

I think you completely misunderstood what he meant (but gave fuel to the usual hater trolls btw).

Let me rephrase this, and I do mean no offense! The best advice you can ever get is to do the trial. It is free, and it gives you a good insight of the game. If you come here saying that you have played to level 15 (20, whatever) in the free trial, and you are interested in how the game goes later on, we can help you a lot better. Explaining something to someone who has not even had a glimpse on it (even though it's free) is not easy by any means. It is like you're asking us to somehow figure out what your personal taste is, and tell you that LOTRO is suited for that or not. I understand where you're coming from, but really, why do this "hit-or-miss" thingy when you can actually really try it for FREE (can't emphasize much more).

It is YOU who will decide if you like it, not us. Here is where the point says. Even if you thought that Jackdog's reply was arrogant or anything, your response was... well, check it again. Unnecessarily violent, to say the least. And also, troll-fodder.

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by trancejeremy

Yeah, I hate to say it (since I got a lifetime sub about 2 weeks after I started playing), but most the long time LOTRO players in the game are rather stuck up and snobby. Which is still better than most MMORPG communities, but not what it's made out to be...

Glad to see someone knows "most" long time LOTRO players :)

I'm only playing it since CB, and I have totally different experiences. I really hope you don't feel bad because you think you jumped in the lifetime sub and now you regret it.... or do you?

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.