Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Social Contact In WAR Doesn't Exist!

One thing i like about MMO's is the general chat you get going from zone to zone. I've been in WAR for 3 days now, and have yet to see ANY chat in the general chat! Why?

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

cause you got on the sever full of mutes?

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Lupinde3rdLupinde3rd Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by MARTYB2K

One thing i like about MMO's is the general chat you get going from zone to zone. I've been in WAR for 3 days now, and have yet to see ANY chat in the general chat! Why?

Yeah i have noticed the same thing while playing this game. Nothing going on in general chat at all which seems a bit strange.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

There doesn't seem to be much need to chat.  You can join groups without asking.  You can do public quests without talking to others generally.  The game is pretty self explanitory.  Of course the last boss in public quests are usually somewhat difficult due to there being no organization.  No one heals the tanks etc.

• DaxxanDaxxan Member UncommonPosts: 384
    Originally posted by tillamook

I've played this game quite a bit for over  2 months, weeks before the CE beta.  I really enjoy the game but I must admit, the OP is right.  There has never been  a whole lot of talking going on at all.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by tillamook

Even if they're mute they can still type!

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

It's still infinitely better than what /barrens chat was or the trade channel...granted I haven't played in months..but it was always the same. 

• pileopooppileopoop Member Posts: 91

Barrens chat is better than no chat.

Sorry, I stand corrected.  So, what Chuck Norris jokes do you have? Or maybe a new Murloc movie I haven't heard yet?

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Wow, and I thought it was just that everyone had me on ignore.  LOL

But no, seriously...I did notice the same thing.  And while the "Barrens Chat" (which has now become trade channel chat) is woefully bereft of any sort of intelligent lifeform, there are other games, (and even WoW in the middle of the night or early morning) where the chat is very intelligent, friendly, and entertaining even.

I have to say I missed that, because like I said....I didn't see anyone chatting either.  And even asking a question or saying hello in /say.....was usually met with the sound of crickets chirping.......

Very unsettling.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

I agree, and unfortunatley I find it sad at the same time. Mmo's are supposed to bring ppl together for some online gaming fun. However, now, it seems that for whatever reason, ppl would rather solo in every sense of the word, and being anonymous, berate or belittle those around them, Not all mind you, but it seems to be becoming a trend.

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69

Same here been in since Sunday and the only  real social interaction I have had the whole time is one blind guild invite from some people and guild I never heard of and a tell for gold buying/powerleveling services.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Someone did postulate in another thread that perhaps when you get higher up in levels and there are actual keeps to take and defend people would start talking more.  This might be even more true since the renown merchants are in the keeps themselves and you have to own it to buy your renown stuff.  On a third note, I think when the main city siges start people might band together and defend it, but in the end this is all speculation.

I haven't picked the game up yet due to having more important things to spend my money on but when I get around to dealing with it all I'll pick it up and play.  Hopefully by then the game will be further along and people will realize that there are others willing to talk.  If all else fails just have some sort of server where the players choose to be more sociable... if that's even possible... perhaps pick a server and just ask people of like mind to come and join you.  I figure if the entire population or at least the majority of it plays the same there might be hope.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Really?  I haven't picked it up because I swore never to buy an MMO until one month after release unless I'm in the beta.   If so, that would kill it for me.  Even a lousy MMO like TR was fun with the chat.  Silly political discussions, random movie chats, I absolutely love MMO chatting.  I've died more times while chatting, and never regretted it (okay, well maybe for a few minutes). 

I really hope that this is just a one server thing.  I want this game to be good!

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Is that really that unusual, though?

I didn't get broadband until very late last year (still not exactly fast broadband), so I pretty much missed out on MMORPGs, since things like downloading patches were just too painful (if not the lag itself).  (I did play Yserbius ages and and ages ago).

Since then I've tried a bunch of free ones before settling on Sword of the New World. No one talks there. I switched to Lord of the Rings Online. It's a very very quiet game as well, and I play on the 3rd most populated server. Often I go whole sessions without seeing anyone talking in any channel.

I'm really starting to think that MMORPGs really aren't about social interaction with other players, so much as e-peen contests, a way for people to show off how great they are via their characters.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• WRyanWRyan Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by whisperwynd

I agree, and unfortunatley I find it sad at the same time. Mmo's are supposed to bring ppl together for some online gaming fun. However, now, it seems that for whatever reason, ppl would rather solo in every sense of the word, and being anonymous, berate or belittle those around them, Not all mind you, but it seems to be becoming a trend.

Modern MMO's are not meant for this purpose.  I hate to break it to you folks, but MMO's are designed to allow people to keep track of yet another set of meaningless stats.

It's not different than the guys who talk about batting averages and whatnot.  They're more involved with the number crunching than they are actually into the game.  I can sort of relate to this too, though.  I mean, after the second year of SWG, it became more fun to talk crap about it on the forums than it was to play it.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

I thought perhaps the area chats were small or something.  I asked multiple questions, and made multiple other statements and never have I seen anyone say a thing.  I am lv 9 and have still not heard anythign outside of party and once in a scenario.

Originally posted by WRyan

Originally posted by whisperwynd

Modern MMO's are not meant for this purpose.  I hate to break it to you folks, but MMO's are designed to allow people to keep track of yet another set of meaningless stats.

It's not different than the guys who talk about batting averages and whatnot.  They're more involved with the number crunching than they are actually into the game.  I can sort of relate to this too, though.  I mean, after the second year of SWG, it became more fun to talk crap about it on the forums than it was to play it.

I agree, it's no longer aimed at that. More's the pity. When something you've enjoyed for a long time, and trends change it to something you don't like anymore, you don't give up. You evolve, adapt and find new things to like about what's out there.

But don't go assuming you've never felt that about anything in your life, cuz then your credibility with will drop like a stone in a cup of soup. Am I depressed about it? No. Can I go on without my precious memories of days past? lol no shit.

No harm though in sharing an opinion about what you felt has gone, even on an anonymous forum as this...

Believe, when it's all said and done.....no one remembers what was said here. It's just not reality.

• KorbyKorby Member Posts: 499

Community is a highly important factor for me D:

WAR is out of the picture then.

Originally posted by Korby

Community is a highly important factor for me D:

WAR is out of the picture then.

Just to clear something up...and don't worry Korby, I'm not gonna say anything about post.

I never implied, nor meant to imply that WAR has a bad or non existent community. I haven't played yet, so I do not know. I merely stated the numerous threads I've read so far here on Mmorpg. They are not fact to me, nor do I use to emphasize my opinion.

I mentioned them only as a footnote to all the negative threads, and when I mean negative, I mean "This is a bad game" .. "Failcom blah blah blah". People get confused between 'I don't like the game' and 'This game is bad and if you like it, you're a moron'    lol

Just didn't want that stigma attached to me.  :P

• wozzuwozzu Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by pileopoop
    Barrens chat is better than no chat.

QFMFT

I'd kill for a 'where manrik's wife?' riff right about now.

• BladinBladin Member UncommonPosts: 1,089

I have come to the conclusion that it's not that people don't want to talk.  It's that they don't want to talk to you. 

Here's the thing.

What do you want them to say in general?

People don't feel like spamming it, because they are playing the game and having fun.  They don't need to relax their boredom by talking to people in general.

People don't need help finding things for quests, it's all told.

PQ's are made to be mowed through when you get to the area, they aren't designed to be LF2M 325325 PQ PST.

Each individual quest is pretty short, theres no grinding mobs over and over for your quest.

Scenarios actually carry over a "what can i say to make us work better".  I see tons of "barracks inc.  We need to stand on flags" etc etc.

Also a part of it is, people aren't holding the WoW against where you have to complain about everything, be it the twinks etc etc.

Then theres the fact that it's SMOOTH.

You don't see people argueing over general why the game sucks or why its awesome(ala aoc)

You don't see people complaining about bugs and crashes

You don't see people being...retarded.

It's quiet because the game isn't broken, and people don't need to complain and shout.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

Today to get information about scenarios i asked for help in general but no one responded. Then i tried sending tell to atleast 8 people (they were all roaming nearby) which generally starts with 'Hello, how are you today'. Guess what? no one even cares to say hello, forget about help and advice. Lol something is so wrong with social part of this game.

• ShastraShastra Member Posts: 1,061

double post.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593
    Originally posted by Shastra

Today to get information about scenarios i asked for help in general but no one responded. Then i tried sending tell to atleast 8 people (they were all roaming nearby) which generally starts with 'Hello, how are you today'. Guess what? no one even cares to say hello, forget about help and advice. Lol something is so wrong with social part of this game.

I think the problem is twofold:

1) the chat UI is subtly off... there are no buttons to access basic channels, general chat has white letters - just like combat info so it is hard to notice, the letters are too large by default so they generally slide up before you can read em... It should be fixed really soon I concur.

I always take the time to respond to any /tell requests for help, but I'm sure I missed a lot of /1 messages simply because they're being so hard to notice.

2) Everybody is having loads of fun at the moment constantly discovering new things. I have three new members in my guild and I had the time to chat with only one of them - while he was doing Cultivating which is probably the only point in the game you're not actively killing something. It's hard to type while you're fighting and there is A LOT of that in this game.

IMO this game is made for in-game voice chat. Usually I don't like it but I believe it would do loads of good for the social aspect of the game.

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

Maybe the other players are undead zombies that doesn't chat because they have nothing to chat about?

Sorry, just kidding.