Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Ryzom fans out there?

arkady09arkady09 Member Posts: 245

I just started playing Ryzom a couple weeks ago.  I am still on the newbie island although close to getting off of it.  So far it seems pretty cool. 

The crafting is dependent on the mats and allows you to add whatever extra thing you want to.  So the items are more unique. 

The people seem pretty mature.

It seems possible to make money pretty readily.

There is housing.

It is free.

On the con side, I die alot but that's probly because I picked crafting, not fighting or magic.  And I hear that changes as you progress.

Any thoughts from people who are farther along in the game than I am?

Comments

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

Hello and welcome to Atys.

Consider looking the Ryzom forum section where you can find many posts from the community.

Anyway, choosing only crafting is a tough choice in Ryzom. The planet is much more dangerous than the starting island so, if you don't plan to work on your fight/magic skills, you'll need a lot of effort.

It's still doable, but without skill points from the combat skills you will be using the same points from crafting to get stats upgrades, so it's easy to imagine that it will be a hard work.

Consider also that, despite you can buy the mats for crafting from merchants and players, it will cost you a lot of money, so normally crafters are also harvesters.

Anyway if you rely with friends, and if you like a real challenge, you can do it.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• arkady09arkady09 Member Posts: 245

Hmm, I don't see a Ryzom forum section here in MMORPG.  Where is it?  I posted on MMORPG in part to make people aware of Ryzom.  There have been an influx of former Conanites who are disgusted with the game join Ryzom, but just figured I'd let others know if they are out there.

In terms of thoughts, I meant pros and cons of Ryzom.

Ohhhh it's THE SAGA of Ryzom...doh!

• SasiSasi Member Posts: 144

Originally posted by arkady09
    I just started playing Ryzom a couple weeks ago.  I am still on the newbie island although close to getting off of it.  So far it seems pretty cool. 
    The crafting is dependent on the mats and allows you to add whatever extra thing you want to.  So the items are more unique. 
    The people seem pretty mature.
    It seems possible to make money pretty readily.
    There is housing.
    It is free.
    On the con side, I die alot but that's probly because I picked crafting, not fighting or magic.  And I hear that changes as you progress.
    Any thoughts from people who are farther along in the game than I am?

Hi! Welcome to our planet. :)

I had a few thoughts to share. (having just started playing a couple years ago)

Enjoy your time on Silan, it's a nice little micro-sample of the lands and challenges found on the mainland. I'd recommend hanging out there until you have gotten the chance to hunt the big Kirosta in the jungle and craft some nice gear to leave behind you on the vendors for others coming along behind.

Crafting is pretty awesome. Although the appearance of items is not terribly customizable, the wide array of item stats you can affect by including different combinations of materials is pretty much endless. Master crafters jealously guard the recipes they have discovered that produce really awesome stats. This is a player skill, not a character skill you can buy or earn, and you'll want to learn as an apprentice to a master to really discover the depth of crafting in Ryzom.

Most of the community is quite mature and helpful, but watch out for the trolls and grumpy people that sometimes pop up in Universe chat. Don't get the idea that people are actually like that all over Atys. They're not. That random blue dot on your compass is someone you can call on for help, almost always. Be hospitable and say hello to the people you see in the wilds. They will be rezzing you in a few minutes. :)

Making money is easy for crafters. Too easy, actually. On the mainland you'll quickly have more money than you could spend on anything you actually need. Most of the trade between players is barter, not money.

The housing is scenic and great for storage, but that's really all it's good for. For socializing use the many buildings and rooms in the cities, as people can't go in each others' apartments. (at least the way it is right now, it's a longstanding feature request)

The "free" isn't going to last much longer. A month, maybe a little more. The current situation is sort of a beta for the real re-launch, and billing will begin again. See more on that in the official game forums, a new post today about it. I hope many of the great new people we've met since the servers came back up will stay and be part of our community, even when they must pay for it. I and many others consider it well worth a few cents a day.

Starting as a crafter just means you got a little extra head start on crafting skills and a little less head start on fighting skills. The difference beyond your first 10 levels is nil. Dying often is just part of the learning process. (I guess I'm still learning, I still die a lot, too.)

It sounds to me like you have a great attitude and will really enjoy the game. Pleased to have you with us!

===============================
    Sasi
    Guild Leader of Pegasus Foundation
    in Ryzom

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

Welcome to the giant rootball then.

(The Saga of) Ryzom is a Game that definetly does not carter to the "normal player" you´ll find in most other games out there. To appreciate Ryzom you´ll have to be a person who enjoys to find his/her own way around things. You´ll have to be ready to learn from and for the game yourself, you won´t get things served on the proverbial silver plate.

No animal is going to run around with a sword stuck in its rear end, only for you to find it, or with the recipe for a healthy broth from its own intestines. As you allready discovered yourself crafting has actual meaning in this game and while the true and factual process of getting things done naturaly involves a good amount of what many people will call "grind", it does a pretty good job of "hiding the fact", by allowing you to team up in a unique system with others, even if they´re "older" than you in game terms.

The Game does have its faults of course, due to lack of development in the last few years many features that were promiosed at release aren´t finished yet, or haven´t even been implemented up until today. *sigh*

But, whomever is behind the mysterious new owners, does seem to have quite a good view on things and does seem to do quite a good job at "getting things done properly." They don´t pretend to have everything under control yet and they do admit to not being able to grant every wish that ever came up on the boards, but they do seem to be truly senciere in their willingness to realy "ressurect" Ryzom and not to only turn it into an empty husk, suspended in a zombie-like state of disrepair and underdevelopment.

If these guys manage to get the cart out of the mud, so to say, clean it, pimp it up a bit and get some extras on board, I´m pretty sure they will turn the almost dead wreck into a fine midle class sedan with good millage and even some good horespower under the hood.

It´ll never be a Porsche or Ferrari, but it will always be a good alternative for those people who look for more than just speed and a streamlined frame

To use another allegory: Ryzom is a raw diamond, that now finaly and hopefuly will get the cut and polish it needs to realy shine!

CU

MaDSaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?

Thanks to Gilgamesh, Sasi and Madsam for some good insight.  I really appreciate it.

I want to get to the mainland and see what the vast majority of the game will be like b4 I decide whether to pay or not.  Hopefully will have time for that before they implement pay to play.  Unfortunately in Conan I bought a six month sub and I haven't played since the end of month 3.  I am overly cautious on games now as a result.

I agree though, like $10 a month is only a very small amount per day, well worth it.

• SherkalynSherkalyn Member Posts: 105

But Conan made you pay for the CD, the early access (which they didn't have enough of for all those who also paid for the pre-order) and makes people pay to download their "free" trial... They even made people pay for Open BETA access.

While in Ryzom, you only pay for the subscribtion and only once billing actually resumes. I don't know if it's going to remain that way, but I sure hope so.

---------
    Sherkalyn
    Crazy Marshmallow Lady
    Guild Leader of The Exodus Syndicate in Ryzom
    "Experience Perfection :: Unharness Your Power"
    www.exodusgs.com

Ah good point!

• tikboitikboi Member Posts: 243

i am a fan of this game, well, WAS a fan of this game. after the incident here in my country where internet cafes started to uninstall this game day by day, no one played this game anymore, which makes me quit as same as them.

• MachieltjeMachieltje Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Originally posted by tikboi

i am a fan of this game, well, WAS a fan of this game. after the incident here in my country where internet cafes started to uninstall this game day by day, no one played this game anymore, which makes me quit as same as them.

You do realize that most people that play MMO's have them installed on their own PC?

(At least in western countries...)