Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of failure new low price.

2»

Comments

• arkady09arkady09 Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

Originally posted by Malickie

So what does this say about lotro, they're all but giving their game away for free? 30$ v 10$ hmm I guess AOC is in less trouble than lotro.

WoW is $20. they must be screwd

The money is in the subscriptions - maybe this is why FUNCOM wont publish any numbers!

• ToolfanToolfan Member UncommonPosts: 80

Actually it's $34.99, and great game or not I would never expect anyone outside of being a fan of the conan lore or an mmo fan to bother picking it up. So to me $30-$40 sounds reasonable.

Was WOW offered at a reduced price after a few months into release? I think the game was so popular they actually pulled copies from shelves while they scrambled to get servers up to handle the load! I remember a good friend of mine could not purchase a copy after I suggested it simply because they had stopped selling it while they dealt with expanding server farms!

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Yay another post where AOC Haters are trying to make somthing from nothing..... It happens to every game! 

Who are you tryign to convince anyway, im sure the people still playing the game won't be listening to others that don't play anymore!

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by Malickie

So what does this say about lotro, they're all but giving their game away for free? 30$ v 10$ hmm I guess AOC is in less trouble than lotro.

And it's 10 dollars a month to play.....As for AoC I think almost every game drops in price after it has been out a few months....... Heck you can buy games like EQ with all 14 expansions for like 20 dollars.......

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    It's a big drop and it's early compared to most MMOs. It's not really a surprise though they have to do something. I don't think it will help them much. I'm guessing they didn't anticipate the need for a system to consolidate servers without creating a huge mess either.
    This is a point I should chime in on, sure most MMOs drop in price, after 2 years! Tabula Rasa probably holds the record for fastest price drop after launch, not even 6 weeks after launch it dropped from $39 USD to $9. Around Christmas time it was as low as $4, and collection packs went from $79 to $20. Planetside is another game that dropped in price very rapidly but not as fast as Tabula RAsa did. WoW sold for $29 for at least the first 2 years (in exception of store sales, lowest I've seen on sales were $24). SWG sold for $50-60 depending on store after it launched, I went back to buy another one for another account a year and half later (in 2004) and it still sold for $50.

• ILOVEFUNCOMILOVEFUNCOM Member Posts: 94

All games drop in price after the initial rush games that dont are trying to scam consumers into buying the box but with games like WoW and AoC they can afford to lower the box price once they have enough money because then they make money on subscriptions it is pretty clear you dont know ANYTHING about business.

Originally posted by ILOVEFUNCOM

All games drop in price after the initial rush games that dont are trying to scam consumers into buying the box but with games like WoW and AoC they can afford to lower the box price once they have enough money because then they make money on subscriptions it is pretty clear you dont know ANYTHING about business.

What are you saying about business? Funcom has 23 Million in short term debt, a shrinking customer base, and a loss of like 16m. They said themselves that the 800k boxes sold generated about 8million or 20% of the revenue that went to them from the sale of the boxes.  How they are going to pay this off is beyond me, but obviously you have it all figured out.  If you would admit to being a paid FUNCOM employee it would mean 2 things to me:

1) I now know why AOC is in the shape its in today

2) I could at least respect the paycheck.