Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So we can't talk about stock price anymore?

Comments

• ZigiRageZigiRage Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Opticaleye

Its all irrelevant.
    The market sux right now.My 401k has gone down 50k this year alone.I dont own stock in FC.FC will bounce back given time just like my 401k.

They'll bounce back for sure. Just not to 55. They have plenty of assets to cover their short term liabilities. I don't see a problem with Funcom in next 6 months.

• Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by chillsan

Originally posted by Sovrath

I would hate to see that happen, I would not like this site to become like gamespot where it seems a sponsor has it's deep pockets influence what goes on the site.

The problem is that many players have lost sight of what these forums are for. They aren't fan forums they are private forums that are made available (free I might add) so that players can discuss games. However, it takes money to run them.

So if you want, (and I mean the "royal you") you can start your own site and have your members say whatever they want about any game.

But for a site on this level they need revenue. How do they get that? They sell advertising. And no company is going to advertise on a site where the players are hostile to their product.

To that end, if you had a product you wouldn't advertise on a site that lambasted it.

Now, you might say "but I'd use that as a wake up call to make the product better". True and good for you. However, if you can't make it better over night and you have employees to pay and rent to pay and equipment to maintain and insurance to pay and 401k's to pay into and medical etc, then you are most likely not going to be able to afford to advertise on a site that is hostile to your company.

You stated the obvious but still, this site shouldn't become like the aformentioned. Otherwise people do go to sites where they can discuss things in anyway they wish. That in turn means less visits, which means less revenue. A stock discussion is relevant to a game discussion in that said company is involved in game business. I agree that some posters get outta hand, but what I saw is they kept it in one thread and sorta just want to make themselves feel better about a company they are not happy with. It helps people vent their anger for what they perceive has been done wrong to them in some way. High powered stock brokers are not trolling these threads causing havoc and selloffs, most people who buy and sell make decisions based on financials, these are just gamers wishing to vent and come to place they feel comfortable. If they went and started plastering stock prices on every thread and hijacking other threads then I could the problem.

Well apparently it's not obvious.

It doesn't matter whether or not players would go to this site or not to discuss things freely.

I've seen this on the Lineag 2 boards for years. That board is a forum for the business and for the game. It is not there to foster anything other than discussion of the game and maybe some issues. But in no way, shape or form do players have free reign to discuss whatever they want to their heart's content. No business would allow such a thing unless they could implement whatever fixes that were required lightning fast.

Otherwisse they are essentially offering the players the noose to hang the company by.

So it ist with this site. This is not a fan site and is not paid for by us. It is a site that is paid for by advertising revenue. In some ways it is or can be thought of as a direct extension of the game companies.

it is what it is and offers, like many other sites, quite a lot of information about what's going on. Whether or not people think it's perfect is not the point.

this is not a set of forums by the players and for the players. So we have to live by the rules of these forums or go elsewhere.

There will always be people who will visit this and other forums who absolutely don't post on forums. They just don't. over the years I have been contacted by so many of these players who have questions but just don't post on forums as they don't feel comfortable doing so.

So whether or not playrers feel that they want to take posts elsewhere because they can't post how they like, doesn't really mean anything as there are so many other people who just use these forums as a source of information.

Until you or anyone else starts to pay for these forums I suspect that that is the way it will stay.

And like I said, players can feel free to start their own forums. However, as I've seen, though they might contain a lot of good information and allow a greater breadth of freedom they also lack a bit in moderation and eventually turn into something that most mature players (no matter the age) just won't put up with.

It just is what it is.

Yea but on Lin2 'NCSoft owned' company forums they also delete and curtail too many anti-bot posts, because that also hurts their profits, they are not going to come straight out and say or put it that way though. Even though plenty of posts still sneak through. This is on the other hand is an all around open board for discussion to an extent when people chose to remain civil.

As for the it is not directly paid for by us, our participation viewing and reading things here indirectly results in their being payed. It's all connected.

I also understand what you mean about the lurkers, some people are not able to seperate the facts from the lies and half truths, that's why a discussion like this is important. It's great you help out players in pm who just lurk as this place can certainly be unfriendly at times.

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089

The only reason to deny financial posts here is simply to bow to the fanbois and Funcom.

The only people who don't want to see these posts here are fanbois and Funcom.

Anyone else who doesn't want to see them does what most intelligent people do: they don't read them.

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by WisebutCruel

The only reason to deny financial posts here is simply to bow to the fanbois and Funcom.
    Anyone else who doesn't want to see them does what most intelligent people do: they don't read them.

I agree

Someone at funcom must have caught wind of stock prices being listed and threatened this site to take them down or funcom would discontinue paying for ad space.

When a publisher goes to the extreme of moderating what happens on another web site, even though no apparent rules were broken, the situation for that publisher must be desparate.  The stock prices are public knowledge I guess.  This is a public forum.

I seriously believe funcom has employees patrolling forums sprinkling bits of love and praise for AoC among the heaping mass of hate in a futile attempt to save their rep and the game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by Spiritof55

I agree

Someone at funcom must have caught wind of stock prices being listed and threatened this site to take them down or funcom would discontinue paying for ad space.

When a publisher goes to the extreme of moderating what happens on another web site, even though no apparent rules were broken, the situation for that publisher must be desparate.  The stock prices are public knowledge I guess.  This is a public forum.

I seriously believe funcom has employees patrolling forums sprinkling bits of love and praise for AoC among the heaping mass of hate in a futile attempt to save their rep and the game.

Sigh.

The people who run this site have been accused on numerous occasions of being the back pocket of their advertisers, and this thread is rampant with conspriacy theories yet again.

There are so many hate posts about AOC on this forum a reasonable person can't possibly believe that theres an organized conspiracy to strike this one.

Couple that with the site's managers publically denying on many occasions any changes to their editorial content based on advertiser's pressure.

If you want to believe in black helicopters and wear the tin foll hat, fine go ahead, but then again, there's probably nothing you can ever trust in this world, and certainly not on the Internet.

Me, I'm  more of the opinion that a moderator just got sick of the subject, and felt stock price discussions weren't really in spirit of the web site.

BTW....this is not a public forum...its private.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445

I dont give a damn if a moderator gets tired of a subject, if were still talking about it then they need to leave it alone. I didn't realize this site was made for the enjoyment of moderators.

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Kyleran

I agree

Sigh.

The people who run this site have been accused on numerous occasions of being the back pocket of their advertisers, and this thread is rampant with conspriacy theories yet again.

There are so many hate posts about AOC on this forum a reasonable person can't possibly believe that theres an organized conspiracy to strike this one.

Couple that with the site's managers publically denying on many occasions any changes to their editorial content based on advertiser's pressure.

If you want to believe in black helicopters and wear the tin foll hat, fine go ahead, but then again, there's probably nothing you can ever trust in this world, and certainly not on the Internet.

Me, I'm  more of the opinion that a moderator just got sick of the subject, and felt stock price discussions weren't really in spirit of the web site.

Private as in only a select few can ever join or private as in I need a username and password like all other forum sites that are available to the public?

• Rebn77Rebn77 Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by ranghar

If you invested at or shortly after that volume/price spike to 55 then you deserved to lose every penny. You weren't helping anyone by posting that. It was very pretentious to any real investor reading it. Guy G said it best "Again, this is not a forum for gamer kids who think you belong in a financial setting."

This thread is out of hand and it's almost impossible to explain it all without people being like 'well its cause AOC SUCKS!' Alright, well. I am out for the night. Later.

Gamer kids?

I'm older than both you and Guy G, Hell, you're only 23 .. I'm old enough to be banging your momma. I have far more experience in the MMO genre, dealing with MMO companies, and dealing with finances  than either you or Guy G. But whatever makes you feel superior.

*Edit*

BTW bud, as far as finances go ... I'm financially secure. I don't work, my money does.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by hobo9766

The thread I started on funcom stock falling is locked now and I have gotten a mod warning. I would like someone in charge to comment on this. We are not allowed to discuss the stock prices of game companies anymore?

Because it isn't intresting to read on a gaming forums, we have tons of stock exchange forums, spend your time their, oh wait many of you can't cause then you will meet people who actualy understand it and on gaming forums especialy those kids with their failcom avatar think it might make them look smart when talking stocks when most of them seem to be completly clueless about how it works. Sure some seem to have some knowhow about it, but far from a realistic sense of it. I do have plenty of stocks and ...wel never mind it's the internet, but overall I see no use to discus stocks on forums like this.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

I think you have to question the motives of those who post stock information especially if they don't care for the game or company at all. They turn into flame bait threads. Sure its good to know how a company is doing but 98% of current subscribers only care about whats going on in the game. When you have 15 stock thread posts in a few week spaces from that type of person mentioned above then you have to ask where can people talk about the game itself. As I said i question the motives of those who post stock info, we don't see it in any other game from people who don't play anymore. EA's 52 week low, NCsoft laying off staff and merging etc.
    The forums here I thought are not for a daily report of minute by minute stock concerns. These are not business forums.

This forum is for GENERAL DISCUSSION about Age of Conan.

Funcom is a publicly traded company.  It has no problem taking money from investors so why is it off limits to discuss the stock value?

There is NO violation of terms when discussing Funcom stock prices -- NONE.

Business forum or not, this is GENERAL DISCUSSION.

Tecmo Bowl.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Reklaw

The thread I started on funcom stock falling is locked now and I have gotten a mod warning. I would like someone in charge to comment on this. We are not allowed to discuss the stock prices of game companies anymore?

Because it isn't intresting to read on a gaming forums, we have tons of stock exchange forums, spend your time their, oh wait many of you can't cause then you will meet people who actualy understand it and on gaming forums especialy those kids with their failcom avatar think it might make them look smart when talking stocks when most of them seem to be completly clueless about how it works. Sure some seem to have some knowhow about it, but far from a realistic sense of it. I do have plenty of stocks and ...wel never mind it's the internet, but overall I see no use to discus stocks on forums like this.

YOU may not be interested in discussing the stock performance here but that doesn't make it a violation of the terms of this forum.

As above, this is a GENERAL DISCUSSION of AoC.  The Funcom stock value pertains to Funcom, who makes AoC and directly impacts the present and future of AoC.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that the OP violated any terms of agreement on this forum.

Tecmo Bowl.

• PyrichPyrich Member Posts: 1,040

What about those of us that come here and see it full of brain diarrhea spread out over every forum.

What the should do is make a nerd rage forum so those that have to vent out can without including everyone else.

• rangharranghar Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by Rebn77

Gamer kids?
    I'm older than both you and Guy G, Hell, you're only 23 .. I'm old enough to be banging your momma. I have far more experience in the MMO genre, dealing with MMO companies, and dealing with finances  than either you or Guy G. But whatever makes you feel superior.
     *Edit*
    BTW bud, as far as finances go ... I'm financially secure. I don't work, my money does.

I am pretty sure he was talking about you're attitude not your actual age. Also, by that edit I would assume you read Kiyosaki. Which is a good thing I suppose. You still fail to notice that the basis of your post on those forums were links to gaming forums. I am not going to argue it anymore, the numbers are all I care about. I played AOC for 3 days. I didn't care for it, but it doesn't change that the stock is looking like a decent scalping opportunity in the near future.

On another note "I have far more experience in the MMO genre, dealing with MMO companies, and dealing with finances than either you or Guy G. But whatever makes you feel superior."

Ok, I wasn't trying to 'feel superior'. I am sorry if I came off as being brash. I played UO in beta. I still have the beta cd for both the original UO, and T2A. I also still have an AC Phase 0 Microsoft issued beta cd. Yes, I was young, and yeah I had to use my parents info to get them because of age restriction. I have been around the mmo scene quite some time as well. I never once said AoC was a good game. I play warhammer, and will be playing it tomorrow for headstart. We were talking stocks remember?

As previously stated...you are being pretentious. I never said I was superior to you, and I don't believe I am superior to anyone, but you are acting like a jackass(keyword acting, I am in no way saying you are actually a jackass of any kind).

Ranghar LoD
    Lords of Death

Originally posted by damond5031

Listen to Ranghar up there he knows what hes talking about stock wise. I would def look for a rebound once this stock finds the support level, I certainly wouldn't play it long, I would go short on this and pick up the bounce profits. This particular stock was heavily inflated and I feel quite sorry for anyone that bought in near the top, things will stabilize once funcom's player base steadies and a realistic profit outlook can be obtained going forward :)

Thank you. I mean, I don't mind these stock threads at all as long as its based on solid investing fundamental and not just "I hate funcom cause AoC sucks".

After all no one here can deny that Guitar Hero,World of Warcraft,and Call of Duty 4 were/are all a huge success. Yet ATVI (Activision Blizzard) is below the 52 week range. With a low yesterday of $16.41. The stock depends on more than if the game "is epic fail" or not.

EDIT: I would like to apologize to Rebn77, I shouldn't take part in a "forum fight" of any kind as it just reflects poorly on everyone involved. Let the thread die before the mods come in and slap us around.

Ranghar LoD
    Lords of Death

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

edit - nevermind. 

I miss DAoC

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by Kyleran

I agree

Sigh.

Private as in only a select few can ever join or private as in I need a username and password like all other forum sites that are available to the public?

Private as in those that runs the site can ban you at will.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Learn how stocks work and you will be allowed to post, but actually you're just trolling.

• Hamrtime2Hamrtime2 Member Posts: 360
    Originally posted by Kilmar

Learn how stocks work and you will be allowed to post, but actually you're just trolling.

Thats not true...."Litigator_ab" probably has more experience in the financial institution than all of us (sounds like he does anyway) and they banned him for 3 days for posting factual information on Funcom.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Hamrtime2

Thats not true...."Litigator_ab" probably has more experience in the financial institution than all of us (sounds like he does anyway) and they banned him for 3 days for posting factual information on Funcom.

So why not do it ing General/Off Topic forum?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

Originally posted by Hamrtime2

As long as he presented it in the form of factual information and not in the form of 'F*** YOU SIR I KNOW MY S*** EAT D*** GUY WHO POSTED BELOW ME F***WAD' then this is unfortunate, but you can't really blame them for policing their forums anyway they see fit. We continue to use them regardless

Ranghar LoD
    Lords of Death

• gamer2108gamer2108 Member Posts: 203

The morning stock price fall of Failcom always brightens my day.

Nothing like seeing Funcom down x% with hot cup of coffee in the morning.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Thunderous

Originally posted by Reklaw

YOU may not be interested in discussing the stock performance here but that doesn't make it a violation of the terms of this forum.

As above, this is a GENERAL DISCUSSION of AoC.  The Funcom stock value pertains to Funcom, who makes AoC and directly impacts the present and future of AoC.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that the OP violated any terms of agreement on this forum.

Yes I dislike it, Yes I see no use in it being discussed here which DOES NOT mean peole should not discus it, it just means I don't see the use of it, just like you might see no use in what ever, but really what part made you reply with what you said, did I say he is or was in voilation NO just like you and everyone else I stated my opinion and no were did I say anything about violating anything.

• Rebn77Rebn77 Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by ranghar

EDIT: I would like to apologize to Rebn77, I shouldn't take part in a "forum fight" of any kind as it just reflects poorly on everyone involved. Let the thread die before the mods come in and slap us around.

ranghar, sorry on my part as well. I guess after seeing "Gamer Kid" for the 50th time it set me off lol.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Stock prices will never settle as long as company CEO is selling off his Funcom stock. This is the worst sign that company is in a bad way.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

I would hate to see that happen, I would not like this site to become like gamespot where it seems a sponsor has it's deep pockets influence what goes on the site.

The problem is that many players have lost sight of what these forums are for. They aren't fan forums they are private forums that are made available (free I might add) so that players can discuss games. However, it takes money to run them.

So if you want, (and I mean the "royal you") you can start your own site and have your members say whatever they want about any game.

But for a site on this level they need revenue. How do they get that? They sell advertising. And no company is going to advertise on a site where the players are hostile to their product.

To that end, if you had a product you wouldn't advertise on a site that lambasted it.

Now, you might say "but I'd use that as a wake up call to make the product better". True and good for you. However, if you can't make it better over night and you have employees to pay and rent to pay and equipment to maintain and insurance to pay and 401k's to pay into and medical etc, then you are most likely not going to be able to afford to advertise on a site that is hostile to your company.

You stated the obvious but still, this site shouldn't become like the aformentioned. Otherwise people do go to sites where they can discuss things in anyway they wish. That in turn means less visits, which means less revenue. A stock discussion is relevant to a game discussion in that said company is involved in game business. I agree that some posters get outta hand, but what I saw is they kept it in one thread and sorta just want to make themselves feel better about a company they are not happy with. It helps people vent their anger for what they perceive has been done wrong to them in some way. High powered stock brokers are not trolling these threads causing havoc and selloffs, most people who buy and sell make decisions based on financials, these are just gamers wishing to vent and come to place they feel comfortable. If they went and started plastering stock prices on every thread and hijacking other threads then I could the problem.

Well apparently it's not obvious.

It doesn't matter whether or not players would go to this site or not to discuss things freely.

I've seen this on the Lineag 2 boards for years. That board is a forum for the business and for the game. It is not there to foster anything other than discussion of the game and maybe some issues. But in no way, shape or form do players have free reign to discuss whatever they want to their heart's content. No business would allow such a thing unless they could implement whatever fixes that were required lightning fast.

Otherwisse they are essentially offering the players the noose to hang the company by.

So it ist with this site. This is not a fan site and is not paid for by us. It is a site that is paid for by advertising revenue. In some ways it is or can be thought of as a direct extension of the game companies.

it is what it is and offers, like many other sites, quite a lot of information about what's going on. Whether or not people think it's perfect is not the point.

this is not a set of forums by the players and for the players. So we have to live by the rules of these forums or go elsewhere.

There will always be people who will visit this and other forums who absolutely don't post on forums. They just don't. over the years I have been contacted by so many of these players who have questions but just don't post on forums as they don't feel comfortable doing so.

So whether or not playrers feel that they want to take posts elsewhere because they can't post how they like, doesn't really mean anything as there are so many other people who just use these forums as a source of information.

Until you or anyone else starts to pay for these forums I suspect that that is the way it will stay.

And like I said, players can feel free to start their own forums. However, as I've seen, though they might contain a lot of good information and allow a greater breadth of freedom they also lack a bit in moderation and eventually turn into something that most mature players (no matter the age) just won't put up with.

It just is what it is.

Yea but on Lin2 'NCSoft owned' company forums they also delete and curtail too many anti-bot posts, because that also hurts their profits, they are not going to come straight out and say or put it that way though. Even though plenty of posts still sneak through. This is on the other hand is an all around open board for discussion to an extent when people chose to remain civil.

As for the it is not directly paid for by us, our participation viewing and reading things here indirectly results in their being payed. It's all connected.

I also understand what you mean about the lurkers, some people are not able to seperate the facts from the lies and half truths, that's why a discussion like this is important. It's great you help out players in pm who just lurk as this place can certainly be unfriendly at times.

That is true, we are the people who indirectly pay for the ads. I guess my real point is that websites that rely on advertising need to seem like advertising friendly websites.

So yes, these forums can't become like the L2 official forums because as you pointed out, there will be a chunk of players who won't want to come here because they will feel like it isn't a good forum for discussion.  But they also have to make sure that their advertisers aren't taking a beating either as they will just pull funding.

I suppose this is why the American Newspapers have such a difficult time as we are constantly trying to balance the exact same thing. That is why private news sources are so important.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo