Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ideas for a different D&D based mmo.

Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

Right, it's late, I'm drunk and just got kicked out of my local (The Dogturd and Daffodil).

As I was staggering back from this ubiquitous establishment mere minutes ago, I had this grand idea for a d&d based mmo.

My premise, if you will, is that this virtual world that is solely based around the Blood War between the lawful evil  devils, lead by archdevil Asmodeus and the chaotic evil demons lead by Demogorgon.

Rather than levels you start out as some minor evil spirit such as a mane and gradually "evolve" into higher forms from the various lore books and monster manuals.

Just imagine the possibilities, pve would be based around corrupting humanity and the goodly races and manipulating all of the iconic evil races to do your bidding. Carving out personal territories ala Eve style, only rather than building space stations you develop bastions and private fortresses.

Pvp would take you and your private army when you reach the higher forms such as Balor or Gelugon to the abyss or the 9 layers of hell.

Maybe even introduce a third faction such as the neutral evil yugoloths, to field mercenaries to either side or  set out to further ones own selfish needs.

There ya go, a sandbox mmo where everyone can be evil, roleplaying without orcs or elves (only to torture mutilate and subjugate as you see fit).

Feel free to add your own ideas to this thread, and *hic* have a nice weekend ;0)

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

The ideas sound interesting, but I find the 3rd edition D&D rules don't work very well in computer games.  I'm not sure if you are taking from fourth edition (which hasn't been implemented into a computer game yet) or not.  Neverwinter Nights is pretty bad IMO in terms of gameplay and combat.  The last D&D games I really enjoyed for the PC date way back to 2nd edition D&D.  Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate series, and Icewind Dale series.

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

I'm thinking maybe a long time into the future before stuff like this could be made into something cool.

A few years back i read a series of books caled Otherland, by Tad Williams, all set around 70 years in the future and based on a kind of VR version of the internet (not as far fetched as iot sounds). One of the "virtual settings" in this work of fiction was an obvious d&d setting of the future called of all things "the middle realms".

When you read it, the game realm has all the hallmarks of a game like everquest and UO intertwined. It's a gamers wet dream come true.

I'm just having a Jules Verne moment of our time really, hence my original post.

In all truth we are a hell of a long way from what most of us truly desire in virtual entertainment and in reality will either be dead and buried before this kind of stuff hits the masses, or our distopean future will stifle further developments:/

Edit: I really am wasted nn :)

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

One thing I liked doing in D&D is creating a new balanced class.  I think this is a possibility by applying skill based mmo concepts and balance to a class based mmo.  Once you achieved a certain  feat in the game you can create your own class that you have to re-level and is available for others to choose.  When you create it, it starts as a gimp.  To put it in D&D terms, they have 1d2 Hit Dice and all stats 3.  From there you pump thier natural abilities like making them exceptional at combat, magic, stealth, or taking hits.  Then you can give them certain negative attributes to gain other positive attributes.  Like you can have severe negatives (i.e. combustive), then use it to get severe positives.