Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So... What's the verdict so far, folks? (Poll)

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Its gonna give Blizzard a run for there money.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • jaycee2006jaycee2006 Member Posts: 466

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Your probably going to get so many people disagreeing with you here, im not one, but there are some hardcore wow fanbois

• sairuscosairusco Member Posts: 133

I guess that's true

Folks can dissagree all they want this is a great game and will take some players from Blizzard.

MAGA
  • xtravertxtravert Member UncommonPosts: 134

I'm really enjoying myself.  The game has enough things to do right off the bat that you can keep hopping between types of game play and still effectively level.  I tried a Black Orc last night and he was a lot of fun.  Looks just like the models from the tabletop game. :)

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796

Actually, WAR has really surprised me. I wasn't following it much until I got an invite for beta.

I'm not a big PvP'er or RvR'r, but for some reason, I'm *loving* it in this game and will definitely be playing it for a long time to come!

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

• BoddeBodde Member Posts: 40

All this conjecture is really starting to get old

---------------------------------------
    Opinions are like assholes - everyone has one and they all stink

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154

Folks can dissagree all they want this is a great game and will take some players from Blizzard.

Seems Blizzard knows this too now that they opened transfers from PvE to PvP servers.  Which they were adamant they would never do by the way.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • jaycee2006jaycee2006 Member Posts: 466

Its because its such a funner game than wow, yeah sure, it may not have as much content, as much polish, but im having more fun in a pre-release game than i had last month in a 4 year old game. Kudos to you mythic.

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Lack of customisation really let me down :( In terms of varied weapons and armour. It makes the classes feel very preset and static, unable to craft them into how you want. Like a witch elf from what I've seen can only use daggers and witch elf armour, which all looks like underwear.

I think Eurogamer's review summed it up pretty well by saying in WAR its almost as if your part of an Army rather than crafting a hero. I guess thats Mythic doing away with the loot heavy dependancy from WoW and other MMO's, and trying to focus more on balance for PvP. But for me its not an appealing feature :(

I'm going to wait a few months and probably pick it up for Xmas or something. Theres way too many other games I have on the horizon, for example Fable 2 and Far Cry 2 out on the same day then Fallout 3 the week after.

• EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204
  • GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I chose "enjoying it" because I've only had limited time inside the beta (I don't actually HAVE a beta key, such tends to limit one) but I did very much enjoy what time I had.  I gotta say, a lot of the stuff people have said against the game are just plain wrong.  Combat isn't slow, though walking IS.  I looked past that because they gave me a nice little run skill I can use with some measure of regularity.  The UI had a very healthy amount of useful innovation. 

I only wish I had gotten to play long enough to taste the PvP a little better.  I'm positive that such would have been the factor between "Enjoying it" and "Having a Blast!".

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

define giving blizzard a run for there money? This game will never and when i say never i mean never kill WoW. This is not it by a long shot. It may have subs but it will never catch up to WoW and with WoW being smart and releasing there Expansion a month or so after this launch. You will see all the WoW fanbois come to WAR then WOTLK comes out then there back to being WoW fanbois yet again. Theres nothing in this game to say hey play me over WoW im sorry. And i dont even play WoW and i know this. I guess the blind hopeful think that this is the game i guess but who cares what wow is doing IMO if in your case WAR is doing good. Why cant there be more then one Greats and then the next mmos will be called the WoW/WAR killers or somthing of that nature. Keep Blizzard and WoW killers out of statments because it makes who ever says they will lose look stupid.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

It's well put together but on the whole rather generic and not very fun IMHO. It'll do reasonably well because it's pretty solid (on the order of LotRO,) but it won't come close to being a 'WoW Killer.'

The combat especially is exceptionally boring on some classes and somewhat fun on others. The PvP is pretty much the same typical stuff you see in other games, though the rewards are nice and the fact that you can lvl and gear up on pvp alone isn't seen much these days.

The graphics.. well they are pretty 2004. But if the gameplay is there it doesn't really matter. Personally, the gameplay just isn't there. Though I did enjoy Public Quests... the first 2 times I did them.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Fion

It's well put together but on the whole rather generic and not very fun IMHO. It'll do reasonably well because it's pretty solid (on the order of LotRO,) but it won't come close to being a 'WoW Killer.'

Yep, I agree ^^^

No one said it was a WoW killer its a well made fun game that will atract alot of players from there.

MAGA
  • aurickaurick Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by JonMichael

Actually, WAR has really surprised me. I wasn't following it much until I got an invite for beta.
    I'm not a big PvP'er or RvR'r, but for some reason, I'm *loving* it in this game and will definitely be playing it for a long time to come!

I'm in the same boat you are.  I hated PvP in WoW and avoided it like the plague.  I think the biggest reason I liked the increased leveling speed that they implemented was so that I was able to completely skip Ganklethorn Vale. 

I've had a lot of fun with PvP in WAR.  I think it's due to the combination of meaningful objectives and bolstering to keep things relatively even.  How cool is it that you can go into a scenario to level 1 and still make a genuine contribution?

WAR includes features that took WoW a year or two to start putting in.  It also includes features that WoW has talked about since right after launch, like siege engines.  Blizzard, with all their budget, can't pull that off?  Come on.  And for me, perhaps the best thing about WAR is that it makes guilds genuinely important -- and for more than just getting enough warm bodies to fill up a raid.

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563

That's what's great about this game. RVR is extremely easy to get into and get absorbed in.. so even someone who's never PVP's in their life can start having fun with it right away.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

define giving blizzard a run for there money? This game will never and when i say never i mean never kill WoW. This is not it by a long shot. It may have subs but it will never catch up to WoW and with WoW being smart and releasing there Expansion a month or so after this launch. You will see all the WoW fanbois come to WAR then WOTLK comes out then there back to being WoW fanbois yet again. Theres nothing in this game to say hey play me over WoW im sorry. And i dont even play WoW and i know this. I guess the blind hopeful think that this is the game i guess but who cares what wow is doing IMO if in your case WAR is doing good. Why cant there be more then one Greats and then the next mmos will be called the WoW/WAR killers or somthing of that nature. Keep Blizzard and WoW killers out of statments because it makes who ever says they will lose look stupid.

Talk about thinking too much...... did I miss the part where Elsabolts said it would kill WoW?

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Disappointed? Yeah, but I'm not throwing in the towel yet. The first real test comes when retail box sales hit, the second after the initial 30 days comes to an end. Rabidly defending a game when it's in beta and free is easy. When Mythic expects people to start paying, that's where the flaws start to become glaringly obvious.

Age of Conan proved that people will not continue to pay for an unfinished, unpolished product, no matter how much marketing hype you wrap it in.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• kingofnothinkingofnothin Member Posts: 112

I put disappointed. It was fun when I first started my first character. But as it kept going on and on, I was getting more and more bored. Yeah there's PQ's, but after a while it got boring to me. In RvR it was fun, but I felt I was getting bored more and more as I played it. When you move to another tier, it's the same really as the previous, just looks different. There's just really no open exploration, which means once you reach the end it's just RvR. Just wasn't my cup of tea, but may be for others.

• EunuchmakerEunuchmaker Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by LordDraekon

Disappointed? Yeah, but I'm not throwing in the towel yet. The first real test comes when retail box sales hit, the second after the initial 30 days comes to an end. Rabidly defending a game when it's in beta and free is easy. When Mythic expects people to start paying, that's where the flaws start to become glaringly obvious.
    Age of Conan proved that people will not continue to pay for an unfinished, unpolished product, no matter how much marketing hype you wrap it in.

This.  Not that I'm dissapointed, but it's easy to defend a game in beta.  Of course, it's just as easy to say it's awful in beta too.

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

After the nightmare we had with GOA ,I was able to log on Wednesday and then....WAAAGH.I knew(expecting) the game was going to be good but I was more than surprised to play a very stable fun game.During the last previous years we have been fed with buggy game but WAR is so fluid and fun.

WAR has some bugs here and there but they are not that game breaking but all these minor issues will be dealt when the game goes live.

The verdict is WAR is a blast

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• fingisfingis Member Posts: 207

WAR will occupy my time for a month or two, hopefully wotlk will be out by then.

Take away WAR's rvr and you have a pretty !@#$&; poor game.

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by Narshe

That's what's great about this game. RVR is extremely easy to get into and get absorbed in.. so even someone who's never PVP's in their life can start having fun with it right away.

To be brutally honest mate the Scenarios in WAR work almost in an identical manner to WoW's Battlegrounds, with a few tweaks. The best tweak being the buff that levels your stats up so you have a fighting chance at lower levels - other MMOs should really use that idea as its a great one. Otherwise its almost the same thing.

I just got in the WOTLK beta this morning so have been reinstalling WoW and doing masses of patching. Its taken all day but im NEARLY there now. Last patch which has about 2 hours left, and finally I'll be able to directly compare the competition and see how its really panning out.