Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Animations: Make or break?

Warhammer Online looks good aestethically, the PQs+RvR is good clean fun, etc., but I find the animations overrall to be REALLY poor and stiff. To me that is a HUGE turn-off and quite possibly a make or break. I expected more to be honest. Yes, it's Open Beta and as much as I'd like this game to succeed (already bought the Pre-Order + Collector's Ed.) I doubt that they will go through every animation in the game and make it look like...well...actual movement. Will there be a major patch coming up shortly that will fix this or is this pretty much a case of "what-you-see-is-what-you-get"? What do you guys think? (x.O)

EDIT: A majority of the 3D models look like they were rendered, taken a screenshot of and then saved to a GIF-anim. It's that bad. Is it really too much to ask that they would put more effort into it? Oh, and I'm not trying to troll in any way, these are just my personal opinions.

Comments

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Thorsnes

Warhammer Online looks good aestethically, the PQs+RvR is good clean fun, etc., but I find the animations overrall to be REALLY poor and stiff. To me that is a HUGE turn-off and quite possibly a make or break. I expected more to be honest. Yes, it's Open Beta and as much as I'd like this game to succeed (already bought the Pre-Order + Collector's Ed.) I doubt that they will go through every animation in the game and make it look like...well...actual movement. Will there be a major patch coming up shortly that will fix this or is this pretty much a case of "what-you-see-is-what-you-get"? What do you guys think? (x.O)

i think that some people have strange priorities

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452

So maybe I'm picky. Or am I? Anyway, I find it hard to immerse myself into something that has animations similar to a GIF-anim consisting of 5 images. The whole thing just feels a lot less responsive. Open any 3D character from [insert drumroll here] World of Warcraft in WoW Model Viewer, pick an animation and scroll through the frame-slider. It's a friggin' ballet! I don't need fancy state-of-the-art graphics (Which WAR doesn't have anyway), but I do want gameplay that works AND animations that look smooth. If they (the graphics artists) can make decent animations on an 8-bit console, the animators should be able to make 3D models look A LOT better.

• NogginNoggin Member Posts: 808
    Originally posted by Thorsnes

I find it hard to immerse myself into something that has animations similar to a GIF-anim consisting of 5 images.

Are we playing the same game?

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

The whole 5 images bit is a rather large exaggeration. Yes animations could use some refining but they are no where near as borked as you claim.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I agree with OP that the animations are really really really bad.

• EgroEgro Member Posts: 45

OR AMI I??  Dun Dun dunnnnnnnnnn

• ChainmailChainmail Member Posts: 173

I also agree that while the graphics are decent and I am happy with them, the animations are terrible. I have played crappy asian f2p games with better animation. Especially the ranged bow, gun, and spell attacks....absolutely terrible. I originally was planning on playing a shadow warrior but couldnt stand the arrow animations for more than a few minutes.

I guess my main will be a melee character in hopes they fix the ranged animations soon after release.

Also OP whats up with the neon yellow text? It hurts my eyes.

Originally posted by Egro

OR AMI I??  Dun Dun dunnnnnnnnnn

[insert prairie dog video clip here]

Originally posted by Chainmail

Also OP whats up with the neon yellow text? It hurts my eyes.

Sorry, old habit. Think I used bright yellow to track my posts in some big thread and ended up using the same color in every post after.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Holy exaggeration batman.

Some of the animations aren't very good, others are fine, a lot of them are just personal taste.

I mean a lot of people hate the sorceress animations and other than the 3 sec cast one I like those.

I will say that there was an animation feedback topic for every race in the beta so they did get a lot of feedback about it. They have updated some animations over the past month. Are they done updating them? Dunno.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

the problem is that WAR employs an animation erm... frame/quality thingy... like LOTRO so when action gets a bit busy the client reduces the number of animation frame, skipping some frames so it can keep to speed (so yes it will at times look like a 5 frame anim-gif).  This looks ugly and I wirnessed it alot during WAR OB.. even with the frame slider at max. and only about 20-30 ppl on screen.

Now I hate to bring it up, but WoW does not do this even when the action gets busy such as in aV so I dont know why WAR does.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Many people talk about how bad the aminations are, but I don't see it, perhaps I'm just dumb. 

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243

Animations can be changed, graphics can be updated, gear can be made more impressive / better looking.

Gameplay is pretty much set.  As long as the game plays well and is fun it's worth playing to me.

• vala2008vala2008 Member Posts: 229

The animation and some of the graphics effects (in paticular some of the snare that cause a purple/black swirl around the opponent) look like they are from Heros of Might and Magic III.

The animations look rigid and unreal. Also the look in landscape and models (more order than chaos that looks fairly good) is not so great

but the gameplay is great and the whole pvp (RvR) is amaizing. in the whole week of open beta and in numerious high effect battles (the archmages have really nice special effects) i got no lag..high fps and was totally impressed.

The game didnt freeze like i had with AoC, nor did i get DCed so its a thumbs up and lets just hope their next venture ....(40k mmo please!) will look better.

• link35link35 Member Posts: 133

the graphics arent that bad but the animations are, everytime I shoot a bullet with my witch hunter or an arrow with my SW or even a spell with my magus it just makes me want to stop playing because it is just such an immersion killer, ranged animations are just the worst i've seen in any mmo to be honest, I still think its a pretty fun game and will probably end up buying it but i just hope they fix ranged animations