Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth waiting to see if SWG will get better?

panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397

Something seems very wrong to me about SWG....

The way a melee guy with a pizza cutter or length of drain pipe can pve better than guy with rifle,carbine or pistol. Is it me that thinks it looks bloody silly to see a guy with a huge gun go toe to toe with a creature...they should give ranged guys a "rifle butt" attack option...it would prolly do more damage :P

Grouping experience in SWG is poor..."solo group" anyone?

Combat revamp....do SOE have any firm ideas what this will be?...an attempt to add stratedgy to combat or even give ranged combat a use....or just a series of nerfs swapping melee to ranged as the best combat class?

JTL....for what many players are holding on to their accounts for....can it live up to everyones expectations??

I have rarely logged on in the past 3 weeks, preferring to dabble with EVE. Something is missing from SWG and i wish i could put my finger on it..

What do you guys think?

What keeps you guys playing?

Pan

Pan

Comments

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

Starting from combat revamp: Yes, Yes, No, Not everyone's expectations that's impossible, It's been getting better and better in my opinion, it's fun that's why I play.

Didn't mean to be breif, but I'm almost to my warp destination in eve. image

(I'm giving EVE a 3rd shot because it had promise before when I played it but it just wasn't me.)

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.

• captenjonnycaptenjonny Member Posts: 2

SWG tries to be all things to all players. It wants to me MMOG but let you solo. It wants to be a shooter but let you craft. It has so much detail (crap loot drops) that it's filling up its database.

In business they tell you to specialize and in going against that axiom SOE bit off more than it can chew.

That said, I think SWG will continuee to improve, I've been on for 6 months and I thikn it has gotten beter. My big complaint is the amount of waiting that anyone has to do. There are so many steps to do the simplest of things that it really is not a game for the casual player. You CAN NOT sit down for anything less than 2 hours and get any marked progress.

We'll see what will happen after JTL.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by captenjonny
    There are so many steps to do the simplest of things that it really is not a game for the casual player. You CAN NOT sit down for anything less than 2 hours and get any marked progress.

This is absolutely true. Even a simple harvester run can take up to 2 hours.

• Red_RiderRed_Rider Member Posts: 261

If you are not happy and not playing, stop paying and leave a last post explaining why (intelligent post, not a rant). SWG has always given me the impression that Lucasarts took bids and gave the game to the lowest bidder. Right now I think they are being forced by a money hungry Lucasarts to bring out an expansion which the base game is not ready to recieve.

I think that if they can get through the JTL launch without totally ruining the game, after that things will start getting better (unless JTL sucks, and causes massive cancellations).

Personnally I was not happy and resigned my 2 accounts, hopefully they will convince me to try again before my characters hit the 6 month purge, because if I lose my characters, I definatly will never be back.

• Originally posted by Jodokai

Originally posted by captenjonny
    There are so many steps to do the simplest of things that it really is not a game for the casual player. You CAN NOT sit down for anything less than 2 hours and get any marked progress.

This is absolutely true. Even a simple harvester run can take up to 2 hours.

LOL! then buy or make or get a speeder bike! Also use your freekin burst run LOL!

I have an Elite Miner character on one server and I have never ever had to spend 2 hours getting to a harvester. You are over exaggerating. The cities on every planet are spread out enough that you can take a planetary shuttle to near any point on the planet. At the most it will take 30 mins to run to a harvester. 1 hour tops if the intelligent monster AI blocks your way with the random spawns.

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========

MMORPG games I've played:
    ---------------------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

DAoC (coming soon)
    ---------------------------

• MinimumMinimum Member UncommonPosts: 236

Originally posted by Red_Rider

If you are not happy and not playing, stop paying and leave a last post explaining why (intelligent post, not a rant). SWG has always given me the impression that Lucasarts took bids and gave the game to the lowest bidder. Right now I think they are being forced by a money hungry Lucasarts to bring out an expansion which the base game is not ready to recieve.
    I think that if they can get through the JTL launch without totally ruining the game, after that things will start getting better (unless JTL sucks, and causes massive cancellations).
    Personnally I was not happy and resigned my 2 accounts, hopefully they will convince me to try again before my characters hit the 6 month purge, because if I lose my characters, I definatly will never be back.

SOE, being some of the biggest money whores in the industry certainly doesn't need any push from LucasArts about the expansion.  Just look at EQ and how they have handled the expansions there.

Ulitmately about waiting, if your not happy, you shouldn't be paying.  It's just a game, walk away for 6 months then come back and try again.  Of course their latest push to stop people from doing that is the character wipes.  Gotta hand it to them.  They're trying to cover all the angles.

Your just jealous because the voices only speak to me.

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I'm in the same boat as you panache. I've not been playing much and I don't feel motivated to do so. I've already pressed the cancel button and packed up my stuff. I do have a Jedi but I don't really care to play that character either. The game just doesn't do it for me. I'm not sure when the excitement died for me, but it clearly has. The announcements about JTL don't make me feel any better about the game either.

I've been doing a lot of looking into other MMO's lately because I do enjoy playing online with other folks, but SWG is no longer fun. As soon as my effective date hits, I'll be uninstalling it.

Screenshots and videos are necessary for first impressions, but what you can't see in them are the things that matter the most.

so...