Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review: Meh.

Comments

• Amy571Amy571 Member Posts: 59

I pretty much agree with the OP. My boyfriend and I were in the last bit of closed beta and upon playing it also cancelled our preorders. No, it is not a terrible game, and we did not experience any game breaking bugs or glitches, but the combat was indeed very clunky and quite boring. It had a rather slow pacing to me. I also didn't really feel any kind of immersion into the world. Yea it was warhammer, but it didn't feel any different than any other fantasy game. For us it just did not have the depth that they made it out to have and it felt like playing pretty much any other MMO thats out on the market.

• YeehawYeehaw Member Posts: 49

OP - good review.

My feelings are very similary. The combat is uninspiring and I constantly have the feeling that  I have already played this game and seen everything (in a better game to boot)

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

A review of 6 or 7? Not even Vanguard scored that low. WAR is a 9.0. I'd say its just as good as WoW. They both get boring after awhile, imo. I have a few gripes of my own about WAR, but honestly I say the same thing about all MMOs. Its certainly not a return to DAoC glory days (too bad), but its better than anything out there.

• onlinenow225onlinenow225 Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by gorecki

Originally posted by Cereo

RvR, scenarios:  Lets be honest, these are battlegrounds.  Take the first one i did as Chaos, Nordenwatch (sp?)  Might as well call it AB, with 3 bases and a shorter resource timer.  My understanding is that this type of thing is the major focus of endgame...if so, I wll pass, as I have spent more time in AV than any human should and can't realy take any more of that kind of thing.

Hopefully people read what I summarized for them before they read all your depressing garbage. If I had a depression gauge to 10, you made it go from a 1 to a 4 just from reading what you wrote, don't know why, you just sound... depressed and unhappy.

You are burned out of MMOing, I can see that. Sorry to hear it man, move on. Try a new hobby, it sounds like you need to give video games a break for a little while.

Nah, i love MMOs.  I'm burnt out of endless battleground-style PVP:  same scenarios x 100, 200, etc.

Amazing how some people get so worked up about opinion, as if i personally came to their house and insulted their mother or something.  If you have anything constructive to add here, please feel free.  Otherwise.../yawn.

No they are not worked up.   They are telling you that this game is based on RvR.   The biggest feature being World PvP, and City Sieges.

Scenarios are way more fun than BG's everyone in a scenario is from YOUR server.  Along with that you can que it while just trying to level or unlocking tomb stuff.

PQ's need to stay around were they are at.   The gear and money you get for them is sufficent for the difficulty they are at.  This game is NOT a PvE game.  So hard PvE would take away from the entire RvR experiance.

Off Topic Stuff:

You need to take a different look at MMO's because you just judge everything by "WoW/EQ/Vanguard" clones or similarites.

If you hype something too much you are only going to be disapointed.  I learned that from when i hyped the hell out of SSBB.  I will NEVER hype up a game again it ruins it.  

You need to be OPEN about your gaming experiances.  Do you play RPGs?  I could tell you that every RPG FPS, RTS is exactly the same as the one before it.  Whats the difference?  The feel of the game.

Games are good based on how they FEEL.  It has nothing to do with mechaniques and combat and what not.  Counter Strike Source and Counter Strike 1.6 Feel completely different.  Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3 dont feel exactly like each other and they sure dont feel like your playing Counter Strike.  And Call of Duty 4 doesnt feel like your playing any of the Halos or Counter Strike.   Get my point?

People need to stop looking at inovations.  Inovations are very limiting when it comes to MMO's.  If you make a combat system like AoC's you get a game were you are clicking alot your entire gaming experiance.  To some that's fun.  Others their hands get tired and it starts to annoy them.  With a game that revolves around so many people its very hard to make an inovative balanced combat system.

There needs to be some simplicity when any game starts.  Having a complex beginning and a complex end only makes it that much more work for someone to enjoy.  This about your first MMO, was it extremely complex when you started?  Think about your first video game you ever played.  Was the learning curve so high that you have absolutly no idea what to do?

For me the answer is no.  The basics were easy to grasp but everything after that was hard to master.   Thats what makes things fun.   Easy basics then the added complexity.

Think of it like this.  Sports they are easy to start playing.  You may completely suck but you can just pick them up and try.  When you get into the sport it becomes harder and harder to become better and better because there are so many little things that you didnt even think about when you first started.

In then end people such as your self need to stop looking at games with a "is this game a clone" type of mentality.  If you look at it like that you will see it as that.  If if it is miles away from a "clone."  

You all need to ask your selfs this:

Is the game Fun?

No Then don't play it. 

• kaydinvkaydinv Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by onlinenow225

Scenarios are way more fun than BG's everyone in a scenario is from YOUR server.  Along with that you can que it while just trying to level or unlocking tomb stuff.

Hey...that sounds just like BG's when they came out...

• oblivionateoblivionate Member Posts: 224
    Originally posted by kaydinv

I wouldn't compare it to a BG, as they are really just more fun in general versus your standard - do this, do that.

For example, I have never played an instanced PVP area as fun as Khaine's Embrace was the first time I tried it. You get both choke points, and a huge explosion covers the map doing 20K damage to anything it touches; playing with my guild, I'm sure you can imagine the hectic fun we were having.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Currently Waiting For: Nothing, found my addiction for awhile

Currently Playing: Warhammer Online - Oblivion, Warrior Priest, Averheim; Team Fortress 2

• onlinenow225onlinenow225 Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by kaydinv

No, you had to go to town then click on a npc then wait.

In WAR you can click on it while doing anything.   You dont have to go to an NPC.

And did you even read the rest of my post? thats the only thing you could pick out of it? lmfao pathetic.

• goreckigorecki Member Posts: 45

Games are good based on how they FEEL.  It has nothing to do with mechaniques and combat and what not.  Counter Strike Source and Counter Strike 1.6 Feel completely different.  Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3 dont feel exactly like each other and they sure dont feel like your playing Counter Strike.  And Call of Duty 4 doesnt feel like your playing any of the Halos or Counter Strike.   Get my point?

Now THAT is exactly what I'm getting at.

To me, the feel is all wrong.  Like I said, it's a generally good-looking, stable game with an authentic artistic style and alot of proven elements from many other MMOs.  But it FEELS wrong...and it feels wrong within the few few minutes of gameplay. 

Over many years i've played everything there is to play on the market, past and present, with the exception of some of the freebie asian-grinder clones out there.  I mention the "big name" MMOs (VG, EQ2, etc.) not because I bend my thinking around them, but because they each have some quality that fits in the context of comparison.  In fact, i don't even particularly like either!  And these days, WoW is the de-facto standard...for better or worse.

Is WAR fun, for me?  Does it have that "hook"?

No.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Now THAT is exactly what I'm getting at.
    To me, the feel is all wrong.  Like I said, it's a generally good-looking, stable game with an authentic artistic style and alot of proven elements from many other MMOs.  But it FEELS wrong...and it feels wrong within the few few minutes of gameplay. 
    Over many years i've played everything there is to play on the market, past and present, with the exception of some of the freebie asian-grinder clones out there.  I mention the "big name" MMOs (VG, EQ2, etc.) not because I bend my thinking around them, but because they each have some quality that fits in the context of comparison.  In fact, i don't even particularly like either!  And these days, WoW is the de-facto standard...for better or worse.
    Is WAR fun, for me?  Does it have that "hook"?
    No.

So what game had the hook? Just curious because it is different for everyone. UO was a terrible game that a large number of players think is the best MMORPG ever. Unless you give details on what you actually like it is hard to understand where you are coming from.

WAR feels right to me. Every time I start a new character it becomes my new main. I enjoy almost everything about it (almost, dont' get me wrong it has some flaws too!). I loved EQ, didn't like UO, I liked DAOC, didnt' like SB. I loved WoW, hated AOC. I love WAR so far. That is where I am coming from, I'd assume people with similar likes/dislikes will share my views somewhat.

That brings me to City of Heroes. I absolutely loved the comic book settings, the character creation system etc. The game had so much going for it. But I think it probably had the worst gameplay of any MMORPG I've ever played, just such a terrible game. Yet plenty of people love it... to understand someones opinion of a MMO you really have to understand their tastes in the genre.

• KaltesHerzKaltesHerz Member Posts: 237

If a game isn't good in the first few levels, I will NOT stick around past those first few levels.

I don't give a shit about t2, t3, or t12 content when the game fucking sucks at t1.

It's the first few levels that make or break a game for the majority of potential players.

WAR is ok, but not worth me playing past lvl 8, nothing to grab hold and tell me "you want to see what happens next!".

Want a taste of religion? Lick a witch.

Originally posted by KaltesHerz
    If a game isn't good in the first few levels, I will NOT stick around past those first few levels.

I don't give a shit about t2, t3, or t12 content when the game fucking sucks at t1.

It's the first few levels that make or break a game for the majority of potential players.

WAR is ok, but not worth me playing past lvl 8, nothing to grab hold and tell me "you want to see what happens next!".

That is a very valid opinion(well actually it really isn't since this is open beta and you have plenty of time to try more thna 8 ranks but I'll go along with you) but why didnt' it grab you? Did you not like the RvR, did you not like the scenarios, did you not like the quests, did you not the PQs... etc? What failed to draw you in for the first 8 levels.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Then show us an MMO that has done that? It certainly wasn't WoW.  Kill 8 boars! Kill 8 imps! Kill the Orcs!

I have yet to find an MMO that has the "What will happen next?" you are talking about. MMORPG's are about starting off insignificant and building up to epic.

• biggerplanetbiggerplanet Member Posts: 30

Totally agree with OP.

• KaltesHerzKaltesHerz Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by Ender4

That is a very valid opinion(well actually it really isn't since this is open beta and you have plenty of time to try more thna 8 ranks but I'll go along with you) but why didnt' it grab you?Actually it is a valid opinion regardless of whether it's beta or not. Did you not like the RvR, did you not like the scenarios, did you not like the quests, did you not the PQs... etc? What failed to draw you in for the first 8 levels.

What I didn't like, the pve aspects of the game was just like every other game. Nothing new, nothing innovative. I hear people whine about how everyone regurgitates that line, but if everyone is saying it then that should tell you something.

RvR is very unbalanced. There will always be a rock-paper-scissors, or at least should be in every game, but when there are certain classes that totally dominate early on the average player will either reroll that class thinking they're leetness, or quit out of boredom. RvR is also nothing new, it was just a BG, just with different textures. Yes I compared it to a BG, because that's what it is, just with different textures.

The tome of knowledge, wow I'm so impressed. So after killing 25 orcs I get an entry in the book which gives me a few xp.

As a game developer myself, and having worked for 2 major development firms I am full aware of the implications of what beta means. I am also full aware that what we see now, may or may not be what we see in 2 weeks.

A couple of examples, I played the AoC beta for a good while and I liked the game well enough. However after it launched I didn't like it anymore. (gank fests, bugs that should've been fixed, but weren't, ad-infinitum)

I was in the WoW beta and found it to be shit, it took me over a year before I could get myself to go back to it and then I find all it's borkedness fixed and to be polished. (still boring as shit though)

So why don't I like WAR?

Despite how much you kid yourself, it's nothing new. The only thing new is the textures and storyline.

Oh you must not of played it, you don't know what you're talking about, you admit you only played it to lvl 8 so STFU noob.

No you STFU noob, I, as with you most likely, can tell if I'm going to like a game pretty quickly. So get the hell over it.

As with every game, I'll wait 6 months or a year and give it another shot. As it stands now though, it brings nothing new to the table. It's all regurgitated and recolored ideas from something else vaguely camouflaged to keep the dense from seeing what it truly is.

Yes, I called you dense.

And you

And you

But not you

just you

Want a taste of religion? Lick a witch.

• biggerplanetbiggerplanet Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Distaste

Then show us an MMO that has done that? It certainly wasn't WoW.  Kill 8 boars! Kill 8 imps! Kill the Orcs!

I have yet to find an MMO that has the "What will happen next?" you are talking about. MMORPG's are about starting off insignificant and building up to epic.

You see, when you play WAR, you already know that at lvl40 combat will still be clunky, classes will not require more skill to play, and RvR will be the same zergfest it is now.

[quote]Originally posted by KaltesHerz

What I didn't like, the pve aspects of the game was just like every other game. Nothing new, nothing innovative. I hear people whine about how everyone regurgitates that line, but if everyone is saying it then that should tell you something.

RvR is very unbalanced. There will always be a rock-paper-scissors, or at least should be in every game, but when there are certain classes that totally dominate early on the average player will either reroll that class thinking they're leetness, or quit out of boredom. RvR is also nothing new, it was just a BG, just with different textures. Yes I compared it to a BG, because that's what it is, just with different textures.

The tome of knowledge, wow I'm so impressed. So after killing 25 orcs I get an entry in the book which gives me a few xp.

As a game developer myself, and having worked for 2 major development firms I am full aware of the implications of what beta means. I am also full aware that what we see now, may or may not be what we see in 2 weeks.

A couple of examples, I played the AoC beta for a good while and I liked the game well enough. However after it launched I didn't like it anymore. (gank fests, bugs that should've been fixed, but weren't, ad-infinitum)

I was in the WoW beta and found it to be shit, it took me over a year before I could get myself to go back to it and then I find all it's borkedness fixed and to be polished. (still boring as shit though)

So why don't I like WAR?
    Despite how much you kid yourself, it's nothing new. The only thing new is the textures and storyline.
    Oh you must not of played it, you don't know what you're talking about, you admit you only played it to lvl 8 so STFU noob.

No you STFU noob, I, as with you most likely, can tell if I'm going to like a game pretty quickly. So get the hell over it.
    As with every game, I'll wait 6 months or a year and give it another shot. As it stands now though, it brings nothing new to the table. It's all regurgitated and recolored ideas from something else vaguely camouflaged to keep the dense from seeing what it truly is.

Yes, I called you dense.
    And you
    And you
    But not you
    just you

yeah right, you are a game designer and you are in an open beta where you can play for free (that was my point btw)for as long as you want and you played until rank 8 in 1 day and decided the game stunk. That is so absurd that no way in heck anyone believes you unless this is your first MMORPG. You then go on to list a couple popular MMO saying they sucked too without listing what you like at all to give people an idea. Sorry I just don't buy your post at all. It feels more like a I want to rip on WAR post more than a legit dislike of the game after trying it.

What MMO have you liked in the past 5 years, what MMO is doing things correctly? Without that type of information your post doesn't really do any good for anyone.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

[quote]Originally posted by KaltesHerz

So why don't I like WAR?

Yes, I called you dense.

And you

And you

But not you

just you

yeah right, you are a game designer and you are in an open beta where you can play for free (that was my point btw)for as long as you want and you played until rank 8 in 1 day and decided the game stunk. That is so absurd that no way in heck anyone believes you unless this is your first MMORPG. You then go on to list a couple popular MMO saying they sucked too without listing what you like at all to give people an idea. Sorry I just don't buy your post at all. It feels more like a I want to rip on WAR post more than a legit dislike of the game after trying it.

What MMO have you liked in the past 5 years, what MMO is doing things correctly? Without that type of information your post doesn't really do any good for anyone.

He's post is good for a laugh, but that's it.

It's ok to not like a game, but please, no more bs like "As a game developer myself, and having worked for 2 major development firms", Kaltes. You're just embarassing yourself, only complete morons will believe such lies.

• TniceTnice Member Posts: 563

I can understand the OP's opinion but disagree.  Sure some mechanics are the same as other games.  They are in the same genre so that is to be expected.  What I like about WAR is that I never have to LFG or solo grind.  I find the public quests and RvR tons of fun.  Whether that has been done in other games or not I really don't care.  Maybe it is because I have not played a MMORPG in a long time and am not burned out but I am loving this game.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

So why don't I like WAR?

Yes, I called you dense.

And you

And you

But not you

just you

Just curious what two major development firms you have worked for. You claim that and then talk about beta testing WoW and AoC but fail to mention who you worked for.

Also call me dense because I like the game and see alittle inovation in the game. I call you ignorant for refusing to admit there are inovative things in the game, though not many. Not enjoying the game is fine. But to attack anyone who does and doesnt mind pointing out parts they do is acting like a 5yr old and doesnt say much about you.

• airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718

If it's released essentially bug-free, then I will try it out. Since wow and eq2, the only other mmo released clean has been lotro (which i played a while as well).

If there is interesting content (pve and pvp) then I might play a long time (6 months even)... but most of these games get kind of bleh around 2-3 months anyway. Personally I think that the expectation of a game keeping someone totally immersed for over 6 months is ludicrous. Sure, play and make some friends, and keep em, and play other games or do other stuff with them... why click the same 3 buttons over and over forever? kinda crazy if you think about it...

But sounds like WAR, even with some stodgy animations would be worth a 2-3 month play, if it's clean, (which it sounds pretty clean from what i've read so far)....

• Paki1701Paki1701 Member Posts: 6

To me this game feels like a lot more improved version of wow. I am currently so bored of wow, its pve grind and the same 4 BG maps that I am willing to give any decent mmo a chance.

So far war has impressed me. From the less twitchy gameplay, better pve, intresting classes and fun scenarios I am all sold on it. My wow subs ends on friday and I really dont intend to renew it again.

• archer75archer75 Member UncommonPosts: 157

I would call PvE new and innovative. The public quests alone prove that. And how everything is integrated into a great storyline with the tome of knowledge. How PvE affects PvP and realm control. I don't know of a game that has better or more meaningful PvE.

Tribes 2 is back!!!! http://www.tribesnext.com/
    And from the makers of tribes: Fallen Empire: Legions http://www.instantaction.com/

• nellsonnellson Member Posts: 81

That is a very valid opinion(well actually it really isn't since this is open beta and you have plenty of time to try more thna 8 ranks but I'll go along with you) but why didnt' it grab you?Actually it is a valid opinion regardless of whether it's beta or not. Did you not like the RvR, did you not like the scenarios, did you not like the quests, did you not the PQs... etc? What failed to draw you in for the first 8 levels.

So why don't I like WAR?

Yes, I called you dense.

And you

And you

But not you

just you

This person speaks in a manner fit for a seven year old...He says he worked for two major developers...LIE...He speaks as if hes uneducated,uses LEET SPEEKZ and then calls people names....

Please,go away and stop with the lies...People see right thru you...And this will be the first person i ever put on ignore in these forums...

• kaydinvkaydinv Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by nellson

So why don't I like WAR?

Yes, I called you dense.

And you

And you

But not you

just you

This person speaks in a manner fit for a seven year old...He says he worked for two major developers...LIE...He speaks as if hes uneducated,uses LEET SPEEKZ and then calls people names....

Please,go away and stop with the lies...People see right thru you...And this will be the first person i ever put on ignore in these forums...

Brazen and presumptuous...The hallmark of the WAR community is to discredit opinions and facts presented by non sequitur forum members out of spite.

Bravo.

• smashasmasha Member Posts: 9

Does anyone know what the deal is with the textures and things in the distance ect? There are no graphical options to improve it atm, but I'm really hoping its stuck on medium or medium low settings atm because frankly it looks terrible.