Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's so great about the wilderness?

TussTuss Member Posts: 103

I find that one of the most broght up "problems" with runescape is when they took out the wilderness. I don't PvP, so I wouldn't be able to relate to these people that practicly lived for it. What I want to know is why the wilderness was such a big deal to those who liked it, and why nothing else can compare to it.

I lost all my dignity a long time ago.

Comments

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

What was great about the wilderness was the zoning of it. You  had increased danger as you went deeper into it, it had areas for single pvp same level and then gradually increased in danger. It had multi areas that were done the same way. You could go out there to fight, or to train and then have the monotony of training interrupted by pkrs. Some people like that risk, they don;t want the predictable, they want to be surprised. Your clan could be fighting one clan and then have 2 more show up and mass chaos breaks out. That is excitement that is now lacking from the same ol same ol predictable daily life on runescape.  You could be fighting one person and then 10 more show up.. You never knew what was going to happen. You could hunt other players, or at the same time you are actually being hunted yourself. you could defend territories and resources with clans and add new aspects to the game that are currently mising with it's removal.  You could solo pk an entire clan, or have mass wars with hundreds of people. You could do all of these things at any time you wanted on any given day. There were areas you could tele out of and areas you could not,  There were great risks and great rewards.  If your clan killed another clan you earned their items as a reward, and had the same risk in reverse if you lose. It had the "eye for an eye" feel to it.  It hurt when you lost and felt great when you won, and then you had to still make it out of there with your rewards in order to keep them, so that you felt you truely earned them.  It was up to you to decide what you wanted to do and when you wanted to do it, and none of it was prescripted, predecided, and forced upon you. It truely was an anything goes, anything can happen winner takes all area. That is greatness.

• poqlpoql Member Posts: 9

devil left out something many people are against

luring, there is in wild luring, where u lure someone whos pking, to where ur clan is station. and there is luring where u decieved someone with their items on to come into the wild, where u would kill them and take there items

this is highly controversial, but i loved it.

also,  i liked the ability to pk when u wanted to and leave when u got ur kill,

id gladly take back teletubbies to have the penalty go away,

of course i dont even play with that crappy BH

------------------------------------------------

bh is only the same for medium non members portal, every other portal in memb and non memb is just stupid.
    if u dont realize, u never played old wild, if u still are talking, u sucked at old wild.

Originally posted by poql

devil left out something many people are against
    luring, there is in wild luring, where u lure someone whos pking, to where ur clan is station. and there is luring where u decieved someone with their items on to come into the wild, where u would kill them and take there items
    this is highly controversial, but i loved it.
    also,  i liked the ability to pk when u wanted to and leave when u got ur kill,
    id gladly take back teletubbies to have the penalty go away,
    of course i dont even play with that crappy BH
    ------------------------------------------------

Actually I did make a reference to them, When I went on my Nooblet and solo pked an entire clan, those were specifically "lure" clans. My favorite past time was standing there looking like a stupid noob so that lure clans would jump all over me. Let them think they were going to take me out to the wilderness and grab my gear .... Then I unleashed barrage and dboltz into them all in multi while inhaling sara brews and tuna potatoes . I loved dropping their junk in edge and watch the noobs run around trying to grab it before someone else did. I loved the reaction of the lure punks when they showed back up to edge just in time to see noobs grabbing their gear. That was my favorite thing to do on that game. Those were the days.....

I also loved going out to MB and asking people to teach me how to pk .. it never fails they always say yea "you do it like this! "and they attacked me lmao! It was so easy to get people to skull themselves. lololol

• friidrickfriidrick Member Posts: 33

The wilderness was what made the game fun :)  I loved killing other players and  get their stuff!

but since the wildy is  coming back i might play runescape again :D

Playing: WoW, Eve online, guild wars

Played: Everquest, runescape, archlord,lineage, lotro

Waiting for: Aion

Originally posted by friidrick

The wilderness was what made the game fun :)  I loved killing other players and  get their stuff!
    but since the wildy is  coming back i might play runescape again :D

Hate to break it to you.. it isn't comming back. Yes the PVP worlds sounded great until I started reading the fine print. You do not get their stuff, you will get a monster drop. Yes you will lose all your stuff, but you will not get to get theirs for your efforts.  I am taking the stance of " lets just wait and see."  Until it comes out we will not know if they managed to get this one right.  With  Jagex's history with updates I am not getting my hopes up until I see it to believe it. Let em show us not tell us. If it is good, it will speak for itself.

• friidrickfriidrick Member Posts: 33

That is so lame!!! well of course they will ruin this update like all the others!

Playing: WoW, Eve online, guild wars

Played: Everquest, runescape, archlord,lineage, lotro

Waiting for: Aion

• SimiswimmSimiswimm Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by friidrick

That is so lame!!! well of course they will ruin this update like all the others!

From what they described it as, it looks as though they ruined it before they even started writing the code for it. I'm hoping they'll realize how stupid their idea sounds before they finish making it.

In addition, I'd like to note that people who get lured multiple times are absolute morons. I got lured once by a noob at the rune rocks, to his clan of level 100s. Did I complain? Nope, I just went back with my own clan and owned their asses. Then I went and barraged and DDS'd another clan to kingdom come to get all my cash back. That's how wildy is supposed to be, because it is "wild." Since when is "wild" supposed to mean "1% chance of dying?" When you're in any wilderness, even in real life, that implies a sense of danger.

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515
    Originally posted by Tuss

I find that one of the most broght up "problems" with runescape is when they took out the wilderness. I don't PvP, so I wouldn't be able to relate to these people that practicly lived for it. What I want to know is why the wilderness was such a big deal to those who liked it, and why nothing else can compare to it.

The wilderness, my friend, was the heart of the Rs economy. It was the backbone of runescape and it contained the "unique essence" that makes runescape exciting and fun.  First of all, a lot of money was involved in the wilderness. Ever since 2002 when I started playing, I got my first set of full rune with kite of course, by selling fish to the Pkers.  This was very elastic in the sense of supply and demand, and it led to a very good business back in the day. And of course, Many people found it both appealing and fun. The wilderess was a combination of econimcal factors and risk factors. You could gain FUN and MONEY out of it at the same time. Now tell me, can you do that with the current PvP systems that rs has? Can we gain FUN and MONEY at the same time?  if you look at bh, the answer is probably yes, but does it reach a high importance as the wilderness had? can you even mine rune ores or even skill inside bounty hunter? the answer is no. So my conclusion , in terms of the FUN AND MONEY ratio, is that BH is like a cheap copy of the wilderness, only that its face is messed up. and of course it lacks elasticity.