Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Signs of Life

RenessaRenessa Member Posts: 79

To my great surprise, I stumbled over a report about Hero's Journey in a German onlinegames magazine today. Obviously Simutronics introduced Hero's Journey and also Hero's Engine to the journalists at the Game Convention 08 in Leipzig.

The reporter was very impressed with the engine and the game. He found it innovative and liked the focus on story and individuality.

However, he also claimed, that Simutronics are planning to launch the game in 2 years time!

Anyway, here is a link to a short video they showed during their introduction:

trailer.onlinewelten.com/videos,id4617,heros_journey_gameplayszenen.html

Comments

• ValendrosValendros Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 123

While I do believe HJ will come out (hopefully in my lifetime), I really don't pay ANY heed to schedules given by Simutronics.

At least they're getting better at shutting up, that's one very good thing.

It will release, and I will play it if there's air in my lungs when it does. Until then, I'm bored...

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by Renessa

To my great surprise, I stumbled over a report about Hero's Journey in a German onlinegames magazine today. Obviously Simutronics introduced Hero's Journey and also Hero's Engine to the journalists at the Game Convention 08 in Leipzig.
    The reporter was very impressed with the engine and the game. He found it innovative and liked the focus on story and individuality.
    However, he also claimed, that Simutronics are planning to launch the game in 2 years time!
    Anyway, here is a link to a short video they showed during their introduction:
    trailer.onlinewelten.com/videos,id4617,heros_journey_gameplayszenen.html

It may release before but I guyess there intention to have this like a MUD so they will be massing vast ammounts of content. And I mean vast, also anything they develop with respect to the Hero Engine also adds value... to the engine side of the business.

• Gel214thGel214th Member UncommonPosts: 188

I think Heroe's Journey is Vaporware. Either that or it will be launched too late to really matter and grab proper market share.

This must be the MMORPG that has the longest development time, and if after all that it really DOES launch it would be a first.

It is very disappointing, since the views of the development team and focus of the game greatly appealed to me.

Originally posted by Gel214th

I think Heroe's Journey is Vaporware. Either that or it will be launched too late to really matter and grab proper market share.

This must be the MMORPG that has the longest development time, and if after all that it really DOES launch it would be a first.

It is very disappointing, since the views of the development team and focus of the game greatly appealed to me.

What a lesser human being you are and how little you know. This is another game that doesn't pander to pathetic troll sites like this.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

HJ is a demo game to sell their engine............and it works.

Bioware bought their engine for their next MMO, so the guys are doing good :)

ROFL!

Isane , oh..please do enlighten us all, great one.

us trollsies supplicate ourselves and await edification...

roar.

As for it being a Technology Demo, I think that's a cruel trick to play on past customers, and would be customers of Hero's Journey.

Originally posted by ste2000

HJ is a demo game to sell their engine............and it works.

Bioware bought their engine for their next MMO, so the guys are doing good :)

Again like the other troll in this thread you are wrong. They are still developing World areas and concept art for HJ, now why would they do that.

They use the HJ gameworld they are developing to sell the engine, and is there anything wrong with that? No i dont think so they are a business and need revenue.

Originally posted by Isane
    They use the HJ gameworld they are developing to sell the engine

I'm not going to argue with you, it's clear from your bellicose manner that you have issues.

However I would point out, that what you just described is exactly what a Tech Demo IS. ;-)

And as time goes on some businesses find it simply more profitable to service the engine and sell licenses than to actually complete their own game.

As you said, it's a business.

Originally posted by Gel214th

Originally posted by Isane

They use the HJ gameworld they are developing to sell the engine

I'm not going to argue with you, it's clear from your bellicose manner that you have issues.

However I would point out, that what you just described is exactly what a Tech Demo IS. ;-)

And as time goes on some businesses find it simply more profitable to service the engine and sell licenses than to actually complete their own game.

As you said, it's a business.

Take the whole text in  context not just one sentence and don't be so pathetic.

Why would they continue to produce concept art , and develop content if they already have a demo to sell the engine. Your logic is flawed (well if there was any logic). Simmutronics are not just some business, I like the sweeping statements with nothing to back them up.

Please go troll somewhere else , the game is being developed by the developers a stated if you could be bothered to go look so not sure what you're problem is unless you're just here to make out the actual HJ MMO will not release.

Bellicose manner you are funny ... definitly a proff... troll

Hee hee hee :-)

We'll see how it turns out, won't we.

i hope it is released, since as I said, I really like their concepts.

However, it seems to be on a very slow development schedule, doesn't it.

• KenorvKenorv Member Posts: 112

Even if the game does come out in 2 years or when ever, what does that really say about the game engine? One of the selling points about the engine was how much development time was reduced compared to other engines. So if it's still taking so long to develop an MMORPG with this engine then either A) the engine isn't as good as they say it is, or B) Simu didn't have and still doesn't have the resources to undertake a project like this.

I'm leaning towards B only because I don't believe a company like Bioware would want a license for this engine if it really didn't cut down on development time. So that means that Simu just doesn't have the people or the money to finish this project. If that's the case then fine. At least they made an effort to produce a game like this. I applaud them for that. But they need to stop fooling everyone by saying the game is in development because very few people believe that any more.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe it will come out but if it ever does then I'm afraid that it won't get the player base it needs to support all the work that has gone into and will continue to go into the game to keep it alive.

• senadinsenadin Member UncommonPosts: 247

Pretty pathetic that there`s at least2 other game made by smaller or same size a team as Simu and both are closer to release than this so called MMO.

Darkfall who clearly has a lesser team and a lesser budget is closer than they are.

Fallen Earth, is in the same boat. Smaller team and yet they are in Alpha stage.

All those 3 games have been in development for roughly the same time. How serious is the dev team about releasing a game?

Dont get me wrong, i am looking forward to this game but they really dont have much to show after being in dev for so long.

PS; yaya i know they restarted the project, so they say...

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

I must be one of those very rare ppl that is happy to wait until it's out, there are plenty of other games out there to keep me entertained in the meantime while HJ is developed.

• syllvenwoodsyllvenwood Member Posts: 118

I hope they take forever to get it out, thatjust means it will be that much better. Simu never is known for rushing things out. They are also working on constantly revamping and anding content to 2 massive Muds allreayd and developing another in addition to this MMO. And no those other developers have WAY more people to work than Simu atm. Simu maintains a small but highly skilled and very dedicated workforce that works on multiple projects spanning 5 games simulatiously. That being said HJ is moving aloong at its pace and it will be done when its done, though the current mainstream wont like it cause it wont be a simple game like wow, it will be in depth and challanging something most current gamers hate. "You mean we have to work for this????"

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by syllvenwood

I hope they take forever to get it out, thatjust means it will be that much better. 

I respectfully disagree here. Only because the game has shown nothing over the past year. 

Darkfall even showed more than this game. I am in the camp with the feeling that the game engine is the real focus, not the MMO Hero's Journey.  

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556
    Originally posted by syllvenwood

I hope they take forever to get it out, thatjust means it will be that much better. Simu never is known for rushing things out. They are also working on constantly revamping and anding content to 2 massive Muds allreayd and developing another in addition to this MMO. And no those other developers have WAY more people to work than Simu atm. Simu maintains a small but highly skilled and very dedicated workforce that works on multiple projects spanning 5 games simulatiously. That being said HJ is moving aloong at its pace and it will be done when its done, though the current mainstream wont like it cause it wont be a simple game like wow, it will be in depth and challanging something most current gamers hate. "You mean we have to work for this????"

I've been a fan of Gemstone for years and years.  I like what Simu is capable of.

However, I'd like to point out that your entire post is composed of nothing but opinion with no fact behind it, and is in effect worthless.

Simu may release a game, or may not, but I'm not about to sit here and make up facts to either support them or jeer at them.

• syllvenwoodsyllvenwood Member Posts: 118

Or actually its not, i still play dragonrealms on and off and i attend every class meeting i can and alot of the GMs working on cconstantly updating their class or assigned system are also working on HJ and some are working on the new Gemstone. And the one thing they always remind us of when we ask how much longer till we see this how much longer till we see this or that come out is the same thing. We each have our own area of the game to work on and we also have duties in other games and other projects but we are working as fast and hard as we can.  Ans they are updating constantyl gemstone 3, dragonrealms, modus operandi, and alliance of heroes, while also developing Gemstone 4 and HJ. So no what i am talking about is not made up.

And i love how people are whining now that its taking along time and a year ago you were all whining that games were coming out needed at least a year more of work. The reality is no matter what developers do none of you will be satisfied and none of you even comprehend what goes inot developing these games.

• calmyroncalmyron Member Posts: 46

Just a FYI for those interested in Hero's Journey.

While they do own the Hero's Engine that they use for creating the game and it's strength is in being able to build worlds fast, the actual game is being staffed by unpaid volunteers.

Now, don't doubt the dedication of the volunteers, but when you have to code in your free time and you can't dedicate the kind of budget for full-time builders like BioWare, it's going to take quite a long time to actually put out the game. This has been the major stumbling block in my estimation. In fact, a few of them have even applied to work at some of the studios that have bought the rights to the Hero Engine. Seeing that they have a certain amount of experience that no one else does, this might take away even more talent from Hero's Journey.

Some say HJ will never see the light of day. Personally, I believe it will be here one day, but when is the key. Simutronics has always been cryptic when it came to release dates, and rightfully so. They got burned a few times when they gave a date under pressure from fans of their games and when it slipped, they paid for it. So they have never repeated that situation and they are staying true to form here with Hero's Journey.

My best advice is to keep an eye out for the game to be released within the next two years, hopefully, but don't be surprised if BioWare and other licensees of the Hero's Engine get their game out before Simutronics. They have the budget that Simutronics lacks.