Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have a question about american highways

SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Two people I know (I use the term lightly) are having a discussion about american highways. Now, you have to understand, this is a discussion of very profound impact, they are arguing if there is a regulations that makes it mandatory for highways to have lighting in their entire length.

So, if someone can enlighten me (or point me in the right direction) so I can put this to rest, and see who loses the bet, that's always fun.

Comments

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Do any highways in the US have lighting over their entire length? I sure as hell haven't seen one.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

I live in texas and I have never seen a highway with lighting the entire length.. I rarely see a highway lighted at all. LMAO! Street lighting I do believe is totally at the discretion of the city.

• unknown22unknown22 Member Posts: 159

well, as far as i know.. interstate highways do have lighting the entire length which could possibly a federally regulated thing. however, i've never driven very long on any interstate, so i don't really know. otherwise for individual state and county highways.. its up to each state or county to decide how and where they want to light up their highways. and i do know the state where i reside it is not a required thing to have lighting the entire length of a highway.

war is peace
    freedom is slavery
    ignorance is strength

big brother is watching you

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    Originally posted by unknown22

well, as far as i know.. interstate highways do have lighting the entire length which could possibly a federally regulated thing. however, i've never driven very long on any interstate, so i don't really know. otherwise for individual state and county highways.. its up to each state or county to decide how and where they want to light up their highways. and i do know the state where i reside it is not a required thing to have lighting the entire length of a highway.

Maybe that's what they were talking about. So what about interstate roads?

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

I have never seen a fully lit highway and the only time I've been on an interstate was in the middle of larger cities to stay on 4 lane roads.

As for any highway being fully lit I don't see that being remotely reasonable, the united states isn't remotely small enough for that.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702

so.

do highways kill more people than guns each year in america?

or is it the vehicles that kill more americans each year?

or is it the person driving the vehicle that is to blame?

big cities have lights on the freeways.

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

It wouldn't be economically feasible to light all of Americas highway, Interstate Highways alone:   The entire system, as of 2004, had a total length of 46,837 miles (75,376 km),[1] making it both the largest highway system in the world and the largest public works project in history.[2]

Throw in the other US highway systems US1 to US 830 and other State highway systems you are talking Hundred of thousands miles of roadway

The United States has over 2,425,000 miles (3.9 million kilometers) of paved roads, more than any other country in the world.

• VegettaVegetta Member Posts: 438

American interstate highways are not light up

usually in busy areas they have lights around exits/on ramps

• They certainly don't have lights their entire length. That would be logistically difficult and unneccessary. There may be rules about having lights and on/off ramps at particular population densities, but I've certainly been down enough unlit exits in my time.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

So, it actually is ridiculous to assume all those roads are lit up. Thanks for all the replies.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Originally posted by SonofSeth

Originally posted by unknown22

Maybe that's what they were talking about. So what about interstate roads?

That's a negative. Many Interstate roads do have some lighting but not the whole length....just enar toll booths, emergy phones, and exits. I used to live near Interstate 95 (runs from Main to Florida) and I can tell you for a fact they dont have lights all the way down the road.

These pics are all of I-95. One of the busiest interstates on the country. The first couple are actually in or near our Nation's Capitol. No lights ;)

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

In urban areas, a lot of roads, not just interstates, are lit.  But once you leave major metropolitan areas, they're most often not.

And I've driven across the continent three times.

I know of no federal regulation that requires lighting.  I do know that any overpasses of an interstate highway must be of a specific height to allow military missile carriers to pass beneath them as it's the National Interstate and Defense highway system, which was inspired by the Autobahns of Germany.  President Eisenhower initiated the system.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• FaxxerFaxxer Member Posts: 3,247

It'd be cool if we developed a type of light beaming tech similar to some of the sci-fi books where they use big mirrors in orbit to light up the country side at night.....  Oh sorry I was dreaming.

faxx

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

If they put up lights along every stretch of rural highway that would be some fine target shootin'.  Drive along almost any stretch of highway in a rural area (streches of highway that don't get really heavy traffic) and you'll see bullet holes or dents in some of the road signs.  I have to admit I even did that a few times myself in my younger days.

It's not such a big deal with signs but think what a pain in the butt it would be to have to constantly replace lights.