Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many times does this game have to be rereleased under a different name?

tokarustokarus Member Posts: 43

I dont know if any of you have played any previous releases of the game ACE online. it had as far as i know two other names. i dont  really remember the first one but the last one i played on it was called air combat. its a solid game with different take on the mmo aspect of gaming, and yet it cant seem to stay with a publisher, or a name apparently. the hours i did spend playing the game were enjoyable, and it kind of brought me back to the days of good ol starfox with an online community you could play against in a fairly open instanced area with quests and everything. so why does this game keep getting dropped?

Comments

• Ammoth01Ammoth01 Member Posts: 23

if im right then the first version of this game was called space cowboy and was made by gPotatoe. Im almost 100%sure because it is the same diolouge and ships, items, and characters

• tokarustokarus Member Posts: 43

yup now that i think back your right. i still cant figure out why its bieng tossed around like a hacky sack tho. kinda lame

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353
    Originally posted by tokarus

yup now that i think back your right. i still cant figure out why its bieng tossed around like a hacky sack tho. kinda lame

Not sure why it matters....I'm not trying to flame you at all I just don't know what you are driving at.

If it's the 'same' game, is there a problem?

In today's business world, companies are bought and sold every day. Most times with no change to anything other than it belonging to a new name but with all the same features and functionality.

its a pain in the ass to play a game have it dissapear and then have it reappear under a new  name every 6 months. redownloading the client and starting over completely is kinda a pain. the player accounts arent kept. and neither is the items you spent money one if you used the item mall thingy. im not really mad or anything about it. its just frustrating. if wow or any mainstream game did that, im guessing tons of people would be irate . lol

• ArKaneArKane Member UncommonPosts: 54

Its all about the money. IIRC, Space Cowboy got dropped because the asian company that owned the rights got bought, and the new owners basically said '**** you' to gPotato. Then, surprise surprise, here comes Ace online Int'l, AirRivals EU, and now Ace NA....all for nice juicy licensing fees I'm sure. Why honor your original deal with gPotato when you can split it into as many pieces as you can and maximize profit?

that makes sense. especially in this corporate world. lol

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

im confused...how is this a mmoRPG?

also i should add...gpotato doesnt make games, they just distribute them. So the question you want to ask is...why do distributors keep dropping and renaming the game?  Might have some underlying issues with getting subscribers i think.

well how isnt it a mmorpg? you level theres armor and different weapons and skills that are stronger as you level, you have to quest and do pvp to level and get items.  theres a story behind the game, characters and different factions. and sure theres the shooter aspect of the game thats not really mmorpg, but in almost all aspects its an instance based mmorpg. the instance style is almost like age of conan on a much smaller scale and your flying. if that makes any sense. im really tired if you cant tell by my horrible sentance and paragraph structure.

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

well how isnt it a mmorpg? you level theres armor and different weapons and skills that are stronger as you level, you have to quest and do pvp to level and get items.  theres a story behind the game, characters and different factions. and sure theres the shooter aspect of the game thats not really mmorpg, but in almost all aspects its an instance based mmorpg. the instance style is almost like age of conan on a much smaller scale and your flying. if that makes any sense. im really tired if you cant tell by my horrible sentance and paragraph structure.

Okay, so a game with levels, armor, different weapons, skills that get stronger the higher lvl you are, quests, pvp and items is a mmorpg?

Nonono.

MMOG maybe.

But.. RPG = Role Playing Game. <--- You have to PLAY a ROLE. Hence the name. You could call it acting, if you want.

So please, don't say a game with levels and whatever else you mentioned is a mmorpg. It doesn't have to be just because of this.

Eve Online is a mmorpg, and doesn't have levels. (:

A shooter aspect of a game can easily be a part of an mmorpg.

Unfortunately, what you said has become true - since most "mmorpgs" are hack/slash now a'days.

But take a look at D&D (No, not D&DO. D&D, the P&P version) and play some of that with your friends. If you find a good D/GM, you'll end up with practically no hack/slash and a lot of roleplaying.

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:

why dont you try the game and see iif your character is playing a role in the game. as far as im concerned the characters are. you dont jsut pick a new character or aircraft every time you play,

btw i havent slept in a few days so im really tired. lol so if my point isnt well explained im sorry. its kinda hard when your brains not working full capacity

• jdm12983jdm12983 Member UncommonPosts: 46

This info may help some people out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Online

• Each gears play a role, whether or not that is defined as "roleplaying" is up to the person. Technically, the game is classified as a MMOFPS, although it's technically defaulted into third person INSTEAD of first, but you can change it to first if you want (don't :D), so I classify it as a MMOTPS xD

Also, there have been no character losses as far as I know since Space Cowboy in the popular versions of this game (AirRivals and ACE Online). All it is is the company splitting it into more localized versions, which is nice because it reduces lag :D

• AeroRebornAeroReborn Member Posts: 3

SCO was cancelled because of renewal issues. However, the company that owns the license says that they would have transferred the characters if gpotato didn't have that crazy happy hour. Blame Gpotato for that.

Yes however, this is Space Cowboy (of sorts). Many updates have changed the game greatly, but the concept is still similar. The new things you have gotten will make any regrind you have be great.

• GeneralnitroGeneralnitro Member Posts: 5

This game only got shutdown once when it was Space Cowboy, the game you referred to as ''Air Combat'' is actually named Air Rivals and is still up and running, Ace Online International, also known as GAO - Global Ace, is a ghost town and a failed project from Massang/Yedang, Ace Online NA opened it's CB at August 18, went to OB a week later and is now live including the since Space Cowboy awaited Episode 3 update.

I don't know where the heck people get the idea this game get's closed and sold every 6 months.

• xLsupportxLsupport Member Posts: 5

Only SCO was shut down to my knowledge, and that was license issues. 

As for the same game cropping up. Air Rivals is localized for European players, and is run independantly.

Ace Online has the Korean, Global (Also in Korea thought) and the North American.

Each game is localized for a certain area. That is why it seems to be released with different names. 

This is like SCO, but things have changed since then. There are more features. The NA version now has Ep3 so new bosses, mobs, maps, and missions, and items.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

13.5 times should do it.

• Originally posted by Deathstrike2

13.5 times should do it.

^Obviously didn't read the thread.

• 0803008030 Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by kattehus

Okay, so a game with levels, armor, different weapons, skills that get stronger the higher lvl you are, quests, pvp and items is a mmorpg?

Nonono.

MMOG maybe.

But.. RPG = Role Playing Game. <--- You have to PLAY a ROLE. Hence the name. You could call it acting, if you want.

So please, don't say a game with levels and whatever else you mentioned is a mmorpg. It doesn't have to be just because of this.

Unfortunately, what you said has become true - since most "mmorpgs" are hack/slash now a'days.

But take a look at D&D (No, not D&DO. D&D, the P&P version) and play some of that with your friends. If you find a good D/GM, you'll end up with practically no hack/slash and a lot of roleplaying.

When I play I am very much Role Playing the part of an Igear Pilot. Just because your character is in a fighter, bomber, tank or support air craft does not mean that there is not Role Playing involved.

you mention characters having to play a role.Well In Ace Online our characters and the respective Gears that they Pilot have to play a Role as well. failing to play that role results in dire consequences not only for that player but ofent at times for that players chosen nation as well.

Not every mmorpg needs to have sword and sorcery and high fantasy to be a mmorpg, and some mmorpgs like ace online can infact focus more on the pvp aspect and still maintain the role play aspect. If you fail in the ability to Role Play in this game that failure is yours alone as the others who are currently playing seem to be doing just fine.

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by 08030

Nonono.

MMOG maybe.

When I play I am very much Role Playing the part of an Igear Pilot. Just because your character is in a fighter, bomber, tank or support air craft does not mean that there is not Role Playing involved.

you mention characters having to play a role.Well In Ace Online our characters and the respective Gears that they Pilot have to play a Role as well. failing to play that role results in dire consequences not only for that player but ofent at times for that players chosen nation as well.

Not every mmorpg needs to have sword and sorcery and high fantasy to be a mmorpg, and some mmorpgs like ace online can infact focus more on the pvp aspect and still maintain the role play aspect. If you fail in the ability to Role Play in this game that failure is yours alone as the others who are currently playing seem to be doing just fine.

As such, you play a role - but do you think 'in character' when you play? Or do you think "I need to level up to get better loot to level up to get epic loot?" or something in the lines of that? Do you sit down and develop a character?

I have played AO, and, still, I wouldn't call it an RPG. If you go around and kill NPCs for your entire gaming experience, does this result in dire consequences? Do you have a reason to kill said NPCs, besides "he's the enemy"? Does pairing up with the opposing faction result in dire consequences? I'd not say so.

I havn't said an rpg needs swords, sorcery and high fantasy. I just pointed out the failure of his argument. -Pvp is an excellent way of doing some roleplaying, but it is limited how much you roleplay as you are killing some other guy. Aren't you basically thinking "He drops some nice loot, I just need to make sure I don't die, so I lose my *hard earned* equipment"?

Read his post again.

"well how isnt it a mmorpg? you level theres armor and different weapons and skills that are stronger as you level, you have to quest and do pvp to level and get items. theres a story behind the game, characters and different factions."

Is this the guideline for an mmorpg? 

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • 0803008030 Member Posts: 97

Originally posted by 08030

Nonono.

MMOG maybe.

As such, you play a role - but do you think 'in character' when you play? Or do you think "I need to level up to get better loot to level up to get epic loot?" or something in the lines of that? Do you sit down and develop a character?

I have played AO, and, still, I wouldn't call it an RPG. If you go around and kill NPCs for your entire gaming experience, does this result in dire consequences? Do you have a reason to kill said NPCs, besides "he's the enemy"? Does pairing up with the opposing faction result in dire consequences? I'd not say so.

I havn't said an rpg needs swords, sorcery and high fantasy. I just pointed out the failure of his argument. -Pvp is an excellent way of doing some roleplaying, but it is limited how much you roleplay as you are killing some other guy. Aren't you basically thinking "He drops some nice loot, I just need to make sure I don't die, so I lose my *hard earned* equipment"?

Read his post again.

"well how isnt it a mmorpg? you level theres armor and different weapons and skills that are stronger as you level, you have to quest and do pvp to level and get items. theres a story behind the game, characters and different factions."

Is this the guideline for an mmorpg? 

Eh I kinda get what you saying but I dont agree

Also to clarify is this reply about ACE online or are you just generalizing? Cause alot of what you had to say is just like WTF game is this guy talking about?

Other players do not drop loot, you do infact develop a character, you arrange your skill points how you see fit and work torwards the build you want. If you die in ACE you do not drop or lose equipment, so I can say that thought never crosses my mind. you give up what is called a kill mark the player who shot your gear down earns that kill mark and 1 point of fame

I kill other players in ACE online because as I have said I am roll playing the part of a BCU I gear pilot and ANI are the rebel scum I must destroy to ensure that the government I swore myself to protect survives.

Does ace online need to be like the old pnp D&D to considered for role playing? Not in my opinion, I am happy with what it has, it has the pvp and role playability that I was looking for untill AION comes along.

I still maintain that it is a mmo, but obviously neither of us are going to agree all we are going to accomplish is the hijacking of the thread.

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

i cant do quotes (never learned it yeah just laugh but my speach here is better>:)) so here it is

As such, you play a role - but do you think 'in character' when you play? Or do you think "I need to level up to get better loot to level up to get epic loot?" or something in the lines of that? Do you sit down and develop a character?

yes we have to lvl up and loot or else we fall behind everybody else and then we cant catch up and everybody pwns you no i dont mean players yet you barely meet them before lvl 25 in pvp first you meet a whole lotta monsters that are evil and hard as heck... thats why i like eve:P no lvls just skills the skills system is kinda like lvling but it doesnt matter as mutch as a lvl does one skill added or devided doesnt matter but one lvlv added or devided makes the whole difference. ofcourse there isnt mutch space for "developing character" in games with lvls but those that manages that (this doesnt include wow at all because wow is all predetermined how your character looks and all. so all you wow fans please cry)  those are fantastic. this game was cool:) back in space cowboys days;P until i was left behind by my friends and then i couldnt do anything alone when you get to a point in this game you need state of the art weaponaries and alot of friends else you will fall behind and then roleplay doesnt work anymore then its all about lvls to keep up with you friends and to get lvls then you need to loot and to loot better stuff you need to buy and to get money you must loot. so in the end no game (yet) has managed to get a lvl system where lvls doesnt matter mutch... actually lvls are however you see them a stopper for most games... but in return for lvls they put in fancy armors and weapons so people believe they can customize their stuff...

dont take this wrong but this is my opinion my full honest opinion so i am awaiting your response and also i recommend this game IF you have friends to play with if not you are screwed after lvl 25. but if you manage to get all the aspects that is needed then you can begin some healthy PvP'ing:) the pvp in this game is ACTUALLY pretty good:) there is a fault here too but just pvp in normal if both players have the same weapons and lvls its just like if it were real:D but if there is a slight difference that one wins:( probably.

ohh and please correct any faults you think i have in my speach:D

• I feel that someone who would say "You need friends in order to play this game" is someone who didn't try to join a brigade ("guild") or were very outgoing to start with. PvP really doesn't start I'd say until level 50 (which doesn't take all that much time to get to). Before then, you're going to die a LOT more than you kill, which makes perfect sense. You're up against a bunch of high level players who have put their time and effort into this game in order to become great at it. And let's be sure to note, equipment is not the be all end all in PvP. I've fought many people with "hax equips" and easily beaten them because they don't know how to actually FIGHT, they depend solely on their equipment to get their kills. If you're smart and know the game, you can beat them (I beat a level 72+ at 58 with no problem in a 1v1).

This game has a really good community for the most part (there are always exceptions), and if you take a look around, you're more than likely going to find a brigade that suits you and helps you out. I'll agree that at low levels you can't do much PvP on your own (nor should you really, there's plenty of 75-80 level players who like to roam the Battle Zones for nubbles, so stay in safe channels), but as you level and get good, you can do pretty much whatever you want. Since level 64 (granted everyone was lower than), I've done solo raids and whatnot, and usually never call on friends unless I'm outnumbered 2 or 3:1, if you're good you simply don't need to. Friends aren't required to play the game, but they do make it a whole lot better.

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

kinda like that:) i once took down a lvl 30 something with a lvl 25:) but it was hard:( and i had some lesser lvls as distraction:) (my friends) so friends are the only thing that can help you until you get good enough:O