Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Midgard" MMO - anyone remembers?

I've been feeling like posting about this game for a while, but never did because I really doubt I'll get any positive replies. Anyway..

Some years ago there was this MMO in development called simply "Midgard": the website was something like www.midgard.com or www.midgardonline.com, I'm not entirely sure.

It was the game that gave me more excitement during all my gaming years.. The game was supposed to be very realistic, offering no NPCs at all and no cities: the players would use their skills to create and build small villages and then protect and expand it. That is, if my memory isn't fooling me.

Their idea was to make it very accomplishing to build villages and such: they would take a lot of time to be build (weeks, months?) and the cities would take even longer.

I don't even remember how PvP/ PvE was supposed to be, I guess I don't even remember they saying that there would be monsters in the game. Maybe the project was so new that they hadn't decided yet.. All I know is that this project caught me like.. I can't describe. There was little information about their objectives, but I kept checking their webpage every single day hoping for news. Suddenly one day I saw a developer post saying that they were letting the project on-hold because of economical problems, but they wouldn't give up on it completely. Nowadays I don't think the website even exists anymore, or at least I can't find it..

Does anyone remember this game? If so, is the website really down? What were your feelings regarding it?

Cheers.

EDIT: Decided to attach an URL of an older post about that game. Contains some information too: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/162046

EDIT2: More URL's I found after a better search

www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl

pc.ign.com/objects/016/016557.html

www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php

www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/midgard/index.html

www.eurogamer.net/article.php

Also game's website was worldofmidgard.com

Ultima Online 98~04
Dark Age of Camelot 03~07
Final Fantasy XI 04~06
Guild Wars 05~08
World of Warcraft 04~05
Unsuccessful Tries: DFO/EQ2/DRaja/Rag/Req/RYL/9D/Cabal/KO/PSU/RF/GE/TO/TR/DDO/EVE/LoTRO/L2/RZ/SWG/VG

Comments

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

oooh its developed by FC, get rdy for the flames. TBH i wouldnt be surprised if they scrapped it and put all their efort into AOC.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• HensenLirosHensenLiros Member Posts: 461
    Originally posted by tvalentine

oooh its developed by FC, get rdy for the flames. TBH i wouldnt be surprised if they scrapped it and put all their efort into AOC.

Well I as said on my post... it was already scrapped years ago. Actually 7 years ago if I'm not mistaken.

Ultima Online 98~04
    Final Fantasy XI 04~06
    Guild Wars 05~08
    World of Warcraft 04~05
    Unsuccessful Tries: DFO/EQ2/DRaja/Rag/Req/RYL/9D/Cabal/KO/PSU/RF/GE/TO/TR/DDO/EVE/LoTRO/L2/RZ/SWG/VG

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by HensenLiros

Well I as said on my post... it was already scrapped years ago. Actually 7 years ago if I'm not mistaken.

ah i missed that part. But i dont think that its ever going to be made now, i dont think FC has the money, AOC didnt make as much as they expected.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• HensenLirosHensenLiros Member Posts: 461

Originally posted by HensenLiros

ah i missed that part. But i dont think that its ever going to be made now, i dont think FC has the money, AOC didnt make as much as they expected.

Yeah I agree. I stopped keeping my hopes up after they closed their website, but it still gives me a feeling of nostalgia. It had a nice comcept and nice ideas for a game, probably would be more sucessful than AoC.

Ultima Online 98~04
    Final Fantasy XI 04~06
    Guild Wars 05~08
    World of Warcraft 04~05

• ghostinfinitghostinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 552

Midgard as in the setting of FFVII?

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Oh the game got canceled after the Dev company realized that they've been talking to a 12 year old.  Basically they really really jumped the gun with anoucements since they didn't even meet the designer before anoucing it.

I'm actually messing with you but one of the kids on the wurmonline forum was working on a design by that same  name and concept.   If it was from a major developer company it obviously wasn't his work.   Speaking of which you could glance it WurmOnline since it's the same thing except Indy and eventually darkfall.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.