Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I respect Fallen Earth as an acual "New" MMO and not some kind of copy off.

KailashKailash Member UncommonPosts: 301

SWG pre-cu was one of the greatest games ever made, it was challenging, TONS of features, WAY ahead of its time, and had good graphic's (at the time). You were completely free to do whatever you wanted to do. You can play the game in many different ways. Just think about it... The newer MMO players are amazed at having some horse as a mount while in SWG it had freakin spaceships and land vehicles that can carry 30 people but not only that they were COMPLETELY customizable.

It pisses me off that all these other developers out there dont start off the road that SWG fell off of. I know HUNDREDS of people that would to this day still be playing SWG if they didnt fuck it up. It pains me that Devs dont seem to use the technology thats available to them and just plainly stick to the lazy ass way of making MMO's...copying games like WoW ><.

Im really glad that fallen earth is taking there OWN route and learning from the games that they should be learning from not the ones that just got lucky. (WoW)

Comments

• madmunkmadmunk Member Posts: 17

I think Fallen Earth will be (or can be) the successor to many of the old pre-CU vets floating around still

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

The loss of features from MMOs the last four years should never had happend! I dont know were it went wrong.  The last MMO that even tryed to add something was Vangurd (big company).

Now its up to small Indie developers to do all the work the big companys should do. And thats not fair.

So im also happy that Fallen Earth is claiming back many features from the good old days.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

As much as I am looking forward to the this game and have generally approved of how the devs have run their ship, Icarus disappointed a great many of the longtime FE community members with how alpha invites were handled and executed.

Hopefully, they will do better in the future....

• HazmalHazmal Member CommonPosts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Burntvet

As much as I am looking forward to the this game and have generally approved of how the devs have run their ship, Icarus disappointed a great many of the longtime FE community members with how alpha invites were handled and executed.

They don't owe you anything.  Just because you read some blogs and questions of the week on the game doesn't entitle you to an invite.  I was dissapointed that I didn't get one, but I'm not blaming the devs because I have some sense of entitlement to Alpha test a game. 

------------------
    Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Hazmal

They don't owe you anything.  Just because you read some blogs and questions of the week on the game doesn't entitle you to an invite.  I was dissapointed that I didn't get one, but I'm not blaming the devs because I have some sense of entitlement to Alpha test a game. 

Did I say they owed me one? Did I say I felt cheated or PO'd I didn't get one? No.

But, people in the FE community do a lot through the main site, and the alpha deal should have been done through the main site, at least initially, and not on a 3rd party site, and not in a 3 hour window, in the middle of the day, that people that had a job had no chance of getting in on.

And how do you know that some members of the community haven't done more than "read some blogs and questions of the week on the game" ? The devs, to their credit, have taken a lot of input from members on the official site, some folks posting as long as a year and a half ago, and who knows what some folks have done for Icarus? 

Most probably are not allowed to say.....

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Did I say they owed me one? Did I say I felt cheated or PO'd I didn't get one? No.
    But, people in the FE community do a lot through the main site, and the alpha deal should have been done through the main site, at least initially, and not on a 3rd party site, and not in a 3 hour window, in the middle of the day, that people that had a job had no chance of getting in on.
    And how do you know that some members of the community haven't done more than "read some blogs and questions of the week on the game" ? The devs, to their credit, have taken a lot of input from members on the official site, some folks posting as long as a year and a half ago, and who knows what some folks have done for Icarus? 

As I said in another thread, unless someone was directly promised something then they shouldn't expect anything more than appreciation for their dedication to the game. And since none of us know who, if anyone, has done more than post regularly on the forums and simply offer their feedback/opinions whenever possible, then we really don't know who, if anyone, was promised diddley squat.

Was the way they went about beta selections the best way? Depending on how you look at it, probably not. But at the end of the day Icarus Studios is a business, and they did what they felt was best for business by using a site with a userbase such as Gamespot to garner attention and a lot of new followers, while at the same time drawing a variety of testers with different views on the project. I'm sure they were aware that a few long-time fans would be butthurt over it, but at the same time, they probably felt most of these fans would be mature enough to realize that it's a game and they would put their disappointment aside for something as trivial as a first round alpha invite.

In regards to the actual topic, I would think that Icarus knows full well they're not competing with WoW because not only is that hole overflowing, but is well beyond their capabilities financially. FE will probably be more of a niche game in the market, and while there is some mainstream success to be had depending on how things go, what they're aiming for seems to be aimed towards that niche as opposed to trying to cater to everyone and their grandmother. That's a very good thing from where I sit.

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

Yes, the first wave of alpha-invites was really done in a very odd way.

I hope/guess that they have learned from the debacle and will send out future invites based on the emails they already gathered from the applicants.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Teiraa

Yes, the first wave of alpha-invites was really done in a very odd way.
    I hope/guess that they have learned from the debacle and will send out future invites based on the emails they already gathered from the applicants.

Yes, they said anyone who signed up for the alpha but wasn't chosen is in the pool to be picked from in the next waves. As to when those are planned, I don't know.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

fallen earth has pre-cu written all over it. and that is awesome.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Oh noooz....SWG vets.........you guys are like the kiss of death to a game. Everything you people start praising turns to ash!

Seriously though, SWG pre NGE wasn't all that, it had more issues then you could shake a stick at. Things always appear much better as time distances you from reality. (especially when you are looking through rose colored glasses)

SWG in a nutshell - Crafters fueled the Bol grinders as they tried to unlock Jedi. People decorated Houses on the side. Space flopped because it had no real free roaming, exploration element and was nothing more then "bol" grinding in space. People had a warm and fuzzy over the fact that NPC's didn't drag you by the nose from point "A" to point "B" but they  did..........mission terminals, the MOST GENERIC MMO kill task generator in the creation of the genre, lite the way....and that convoluted PVP system that failed to capture any sense of the SW universe....The only thing SWG had going for it was its profession system but even that was so many issues with broken skills and balance it wasn't even funny. Add in that uber profession, Jedi, and it was just a mess. 

I'm hoping that Fallen Earth, which is looking like an excellent sandbox game with a lot of unique features, doesn't stumble into the same blunders SWG did at every phase of its life.

• madmunkmadmunk Member Posts: 17

oh snap great post

I think people miss the great community that SWG had above all else.

the game was flawed but at least they felt like they were apart of it along with all their friends and guild members.

The game now (with NGE and all the fixes since) is probably more technically sound, but the population is lacking... the magic is gone for the most part.

That's what people are craving... not any specific features that pre-CU had.

• Ya i have to agree with you.  One reason im not likeing WAR that much right now is because of the lack of community.  The people are their, but no one talks.  The most i can ever get ouf of them is a "Hi" and then they run off.  I might go back to Ryzom becuase of how great the community was, but i only did the noob island in that game.

• UnSubUnSub Member Posts: 252

Actually, we won't know what input has been taken in at all until FE launches or has an open beta.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418
    Originally posted by daarco

The loss of features from MMOs the last four years should never had happend! I dont know were it went wrong.  The last MMO that even tryed to add something was Vangurd (big company).
    Now its up to small Indie developers to do all the work the big companys should do. And thats not fair.
    So im also happy that Fallen Earth is claiming back many features from the good old days.

what went wrong was, blizzard released a shallow mmoprg and it was very successful.

• KailashKailash Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by ronan32

Originally posted by daarco

what went wrong was, blizzard released a shallow mmoprg and it was very successful.

Spot on

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    Originally posted by madmunk

I think Fallen Earth will be (or can be) the successor to many of the old pre-CU vets floating around still

it will be for me   

• KailashKailash Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by needalife214

Originally posted by madmunk

it will be for me   

Same here obviously hehe

• ketrineketrine Member Posts: 285

One of the best things in SWG was not the combat or quests, but the extra bits.  Great crafting, variety in professions, clothes, social professions, free for all housing, exploring, and a dynamic player driven world and economy.  That is what I miss about SWG, not the kill quests.

Fallen Earth seems to be headed in a wonderful direction - that of a vast open player driven world with endless possibilities.  This is going to be a great game.

• pamkhatpamkhat Lord of the Rings Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 39

I think the most refreshing thing about FE so far is the overall concept.  Something so simple and iconic as the apocalypse with a backdrop of the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon is just fun.  It helps that there's word that you can literally see for "miles."  I think we're all going to feel very there if that makes sense in some existential way.

I'm sure there's more to why I'm so excited for FE, but I'm sleepy...

I write things for the Examiner as the MMO Examiner.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

I also respect Fallen Earth for trying something new in the MMORPG genre.    There could be some potential in the post-apocalyse genre that hasn't been explored in a decent manner in MMORPGs. 

Originally posted by Torak

Oh noooz....SWG vets.........you guys are like the kiss of death to a game. Everything you people start praising turns to ash!
    Seriously though, SWG pre NGE wasn't all that, it had more issues then you could shake a stick at. Things always appear much better as time distances you from reality. (especially when you are looking through rose colored glasses)
    I'm hoping that Fallen Earth, which is looking like an excellent sandbox game with a lot of unique features, doesn't stumble into the same blunders SWG did at every phase of its life. 

Good to see a post by someone who looks to the past with clearer eyes 

SWG had its chance to attract large number of players pre-NGE.   It didn't.    Afterall wasn't that the whole reason evil Sony decided to implement the NGE in the first place?    If SWG had been drawing in decent numbers, even Sony would have known enough to leave it alone.

Sure people will claim it was getting 'decent' numbers.   Decent for previous generation MMORPGs perhaps.   We're in a new era for MMORPGs.  They're finally being measured against other video games like FPS, RTS and single player RPGs.   Games that have been attracting millions of players for decades not just appealing to tiny niche markets.  

For a whole decade, MMORPG mechanics never managed to attract large numbers of gamers.   SWG was a prime example how even an IP that had an incredible nerd-factor could not draw in gamers because of mechanics that most refused to tolerate.

SWG had it's flaws, I don't want to see any new MMORPG duplicate them.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

hmmmm  yeah  alright  it may just be me but i remember very high pop servers for SWG (at one point im pretty sure it held the highest ammount subs for an online game) a lot of people played it....a lot mind you.....my firm belif is that SONY saw WoW and its like 7 million subs at the time and blew $hit everywhere and said "i want that ...i want that" and they tried and failed...

i played Pre-NGE and stuck out the CU  till i was used to it.......i was told the NGE would be better for the game.........Even the DEvs now see it as a mistake....Pre NGE was still the best game i have ever played..

if fallen earth just copy pasted the code from a week before NGE  i would still pay them my 15  a month

flaws yeah it had some   but they people that played didn't mind so much

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord

I also respect Fallen Earth for trying something new in the MMORPG genre.    There could be some potential in the post-apocalyse genre that hasn't been explored in a decent manner in MMORPGs. 
    Originally posted by Torak

Good to see a post by someone who looks to the past with clearer eyes 

SWG had its chance to attract large number of players pre-NGE.   It didn't.    Afterall wasn't that the whole reason evil Sony decided to implement the NGE in the first place?    If SWG had been drawing in decent numbers, even Sony would have known enough to leave it alone.

Sure people will claim it was getting 'decent' numbers.   Decent for previous generation MMORPGs perhaps.   We're in a new era for MMORPGs.  They're finally being measured against other video games like FPS, RTS and single player RPGs.   Games that have been attracting millions of players for decades not just appealing to tiny niche markets.  

For a whole decade, MMORPG mechanics never managed to attract large numbers of gamers.   SWG was a prime example how even an IP that had an incredible nerd-factor could not draw in gamers because of mechanics that most refused to tolerate.

SWG had it's flaws, I don't want to see any new MMORPG duplicate them.

Are you kidding me? They had 200-300k subscriptions for it's whole life pre-NGE. And your telling me those are crappy numbers? Not only do I have to remind you that those were fantastic numbers before WoW came out, but they still would be great numbers even today. Yes, I said 200k-300k subscriptions is a great number today. How many games can you name with that amount or more that are pay to play that aren't WoW? Yeah, only a couple. I'm honestly amazed at how dense people can be when it comes to subscriptions numbers and what is "successful". Anything now on par with WoW is a "failure" which means every other game is a failure.

SOE didn't change the game because it wasn't paying the bills, because if that was the case the NGE would have changed again long ago. They changed the game because of GREED, plain and simple. They saw what WoW had accomplished, and the genius that is smed thought that if they dumbed the game down enough, they could rake in those numbers too. Big mistake.

BTW, SWG did have it's flaws, and I don't want to see any MMORPG duplicate them either. But the good parts of SWG were simply amazing, way ahead of it's time, and any brain dead monkey would attempt to duplicate them in their own game. The fact that many of these features haven't been seen since SWG says alot about the people making MMOs these days.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• ounumenounumen Member Posts: 129

I was under the impression it wasnt so mu SOE but more Lucas arts trying to drum up more hype for the shittastic movies being released.

"Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". No one can stop anyone from pursuing happiness, but life and liberty are said to only exist if they are deliberately sought and paid for".

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by Kailash

SWG pre cu was one of the greatest games ever made, it was challenging, TONS of features, WAY ahead of its time, and had good graphic's (at the time). You were completly free to do whatever you wanted to do in that you can play the game in Many, MANY different ways. Just think about it... The newer MMO players are amazed at having some horse as a mount while in SWG it had freakin spaceships and land vehicles that can freakin carry 30 people but not only that they were COMPLETLY customizable.
    It pisses me off that all these other developers out there dont start off the road that SWG fell off of. I know HUNDREDS of people that would to this day still be playing SWG if they didnt fuck it up. It pains me that Devs dont seem to use the technology thats available to them and just plainly stick to the lazy ass way of making MMO's...copying games like WoW ><.

Im really glad that fallen earth is taking there OWN route and learning from the games that they should be learning from not the ones that just got lucky. (WoW)

Its for its simpleness and copy of eq formula still a very polished game for casual carebear game, i dont like the game at all wow is just to much themepark and grind.

Fallen earth seems to be fresh i realy hope they can pull this off its always good that others try going there own way instead of following wow.

But future will tell at least a few mmo's now in development that try to be totally different from what eq and companys are:)

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• madjimbobmadjimbob Member Posts: 49

SWG was great (despite its quirks) before it got nerfed by a 15ft dildo up the ass called NGE at the hands of SOE, and totally killed the game off. That aside this does look and sound like a cheep, and from what I’ve seen in the screen shoot, nasty looking nock off of Fallout.

No offence this game could be good, but it looks like Second Life with a bad Mad Max crafter gone to town. I was half expecting to see a poorly modelled Mel Gibson flying in the background with his foot stuck in a poorly clipped building. Then I thought I should really watch a vid of this and when I saw that this game has been on the drawing board since at least 2005 I knew why it looked so dated. Now graphics are not everything no...but they do help set the mood and immerse you into the game, this game tries to look real but lacks the quality to pull it off so it just looks well cheep and nasty.

As to bringing something fresh and new to the MMORPG world you MMORPG virgins probably don’t know about Neocron then. As that was a truly awesome post apocalyptic MMORPG and in my view any new MMORPG in the genera is going to have to measure up to. Now I’m not talking about Necoron in its current state, but back in its day before it got old and the forgotten and then someone tied to bring it back to life in 2.2 or where ever they call it now.

Neocron has to be my first real MMORPG I played. Lot of grinding and learning to get up to higher lvls and then into some of the best PvP faction based player driven PvP combat / campaigns I’ve ever witnessed till Eve Online. None of this ball shit linier WoW or Guild Wars crap. True player driven PvP, the only way Neocron could have been better is if you could have made you own instillation like in SWG rather than fighting over pre placed ones.

To be honest I’ll most likely give this game a miss and hold my breath for FOOL (Fallout Online) which will hopefully be 100 time better and more in depth than this cheep and nasty looking knock off. But the more I reflect on this rant and look at this game and the hype... the more I find I might be eating my words... only times gona tell on that one.

Eve rocks! If you don't like it your a a 12 year old, or have the mental age of one, with the attention span of a goldfish! We are so glad your not screwing up the greatest MMORPG to date! Or of course you just might not like this kind of game ;D ...weirdo’s!