Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks Like We are Getting Our Sandbox Back

ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

Go check out the Darkfall forums.  As shocking as it is they have released an extensive gameplay video and are accepting Beta signups as of today.  The graphics are DECENT,  not great, but the gameplay is incredible.

Don't forget that Darkfall is even more wide open and sandboxy than Pre-CU SWG was.  It is 100% skill-based.  Go check out the Darkfall forums and watch the videos.

Tecmo Bowl.

Comments

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

I've purposely stayed away from paying any attention to Darkfall because I didn't want to fall into any hype. But I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the videos - particularily the cavalry charge in the last portion (part 6 on youtube). I really like the "gritty" feel of this game, however I would have liked to have seen more insight into the UI and any non-combat related roles.

This video certainly piqued my interest.

• newmoon002newmoon002 Member Posts: 50

There it goes, it's not starwars but it's the best we are gonna have to deal with I guess.  Thank god 2 no more of this Cookie Cutter BS! 

• Dark_Lord_13Dark_Lord_13 Member Posts: 248

Yea I've been looking at it since yesterday and been being filled in by a couple of friends of mine who are also former SWGers and it sounds as good as it may get.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

sounds good but its still not Star Wars :(

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

what the hell does darkfall have to do with swg and its sandbox feel? nice way to lure people into your post. good job on subterfuge.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

Im still DLing the vid but if you want a sandbox skill based Sci fi themed game check out Ryzom Honestly the game is great well atleast till Darkfall releases :)

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by nakuma

what the hell does darkfall have to do with swg and its sandbox feel? nice way to lure people into your post. good job on subterfuge.

Wow, you're a smart one!

Darkfall is a skill-based sandbox game.  Since the only other sandbox out right now is EVE Online, and it is 100% ship-based, Darkfall appears to be a nice option for sandbox fans.

Pre-CU SWG was a sandbox and is no more...

Are you able to put 2+2 together yet?  Sandboxes?  You know, as in this is going to be a sandbox game? 

Go troll somebody elses thread.  You certainly aren't intelligent enough to railroad mine.

Tecmo Bowl.

• HastorHadronHastorHadron Member Posts: 187
    Originally posted by Thunderous

Originally posted by nakuma

Wow, you're a smart one!

Darkfall is a skill-based sandbox game.  Since the only other sandbox out right now is EVE Online, and it is 100% ship-based, Darkfall appears to be a nice option for sandbox fans.

Pre-CU SWG was a sandbox and is no more...

Are you able to put 2+2 together yet?  Sandboxes?  You know, as in this is going to be a sandbox game? 

Go troll somebody elses thread.  You certainly aren't intelligent enough to railroad mine.

I also think this thread is perfectly appropriate for the vet boards. Many miss the sandbox element from the game that was more than anything else, and a game that offers that same amount of freedom is something lots of vets would be interested in reading about.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I've seen videos of Darkfall, even gameplay ones, not that impressive, combat seems a bit worse than AoC and it's yet another fantasy game.

But those who definitely want the sandbox, probably will go there, regardless of what genre it is.

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

having a skill based system is just a part of what a sandbox is, and just a fraction of what made preCU so great.

can it boast anything else?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by PreCU

having a skill based system is just a part of what a sandbox is, and just a fraction of what made preCU so great.

Well, FFA PVP, with full loot comes to mind.  Ability to build your own houses, guild citiies etc, and destroy others.  Reported to have deep crafting (haven't seen much on that yet),

Players belong to various factions, there is ship to ship, ship to shore combat including boarding, city bombardment, mounted combat, vehicle combat, Keep attacks, defenses, player reknown (or villiany) etc etc.

If DF delivers what they promised, it will be the best sandbox game to come out in a long time.

But no, it will not ever be SWG Pre-Cu...that game's gone, time to consider looking forward to a new game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

Looks like it might actually be real, just a shame it's got 2 things going against it, 1) It's yet another tired old orcs vs dwarves vs elves vs human, mage vs warrior vs hunter etc, crap.... and 2) from the video it looks complete garbage.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• PapaLazarouPapaLazarou Member Posts: 502

Just saw the Darkfall trailer and it looks shit.

The graphics are like Everquest with poor animations low polygon models and nasty textures and the game has no visual flare, just very generic. Also I never saw any proof of any gameplay mechanics working, just aload of smoke screens because what they showed was just characters in a world and you can stage a PVP fight and make it look like something its not. For example they showed a keep PVP type thing but tbh they could have just had a PVP fight in a random building which has no impact on the world and they're making out its more than it is.

All the time I was watching it I thought...

Dark and Light 2

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by PreCU having a skill based system is just a part of what a sandbox is, and just a fraction of what made preCU so great.

Well, FFA PVP, with full loot comes to mind. Ability to build your own houses, guild citiies etc, and destroy others. Reported to have deep crafting (haven't seen much on that yet),
    Players belong to various factions, there is ship to ship, ship to shore combat including boarding, city bombardment, mounted combat, vehicle combat, Keep attacks, defenses, player reknown (or villiany) etc etc.
    If DF delivers what they promised, it will be the best sandbox game to come out in a long time.
    But no, it will not ever be SWG Pre-Cu...that game's gone, time to consider looking forward to a new game.

a lot of it depends on the details. How much can players really effect their environment? That's the question.

I played a facsimile of precu just the other day.

• SnipanSnipan Member CommonPosts: 184

I loved SWG for its atmosphere, non-combat game play (all of it, not just crafting), character development & customization, the community and because i could live out some kind of childhood dream and "live" in the Star Wars universe. I don´t see these components in Darkfall.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

Even tho i dislike fantasy, after reading this post i looked into it,i may just give it a try, something i had not considered before. Good job OP.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Go check out the Darkfall forums.  As shocking as it is they have released an extensive gameplay video and are accepting Beta signups as of today.  The graphics are DECENT,  not great, but the gameplay is incredible.
    Don't forget that Darkfall is even more wide open and sandboxy than Pre-CU SWG was.  It is 100% skill-based.  Go check out the Darkfall forums and watch the videos.

Currently not playing SWG, but I did a year ago and the game still felt more sandbox then any other MMO that came after SWG atleast MMO that looked appealing to ME.

A sandbox MMO to me is a game where you are able to creat your own content, SWG atleast when I returned last year for about 8 months still had these options, you where not forced into one role, which most games only have the combat role, but then again greed is what hurts this genre. And skill-based can be a sandbox feature but isn't a demanding feature for a game to be a sandbox, player created content is and I have not looked into darkfall to know if it has player created content, if it has then yeah I might consider it a sandbox, shame it's not appealing to me due to the way it looks.

And sorry if people feel SWG isn't a sandbox game then big change is that they never will understand sandbox games. I don't care about the bugs or broken things (afcourse I do care but not in the way I feel the game is still a sandbox) one thing stands and SWG is or was for me the most sandbox experiance from all MMORPG I have played, and yes pre-cu SWG was supiriour to what I felt when I returned but that doesn't trow out the fact that the game still had all means to creat player made content.

Originally posted by Reklaw

Currently not playing SWG, but I did a year ago and the game still felt more sandbox then any other MMO that came after SWG atleast MMO that looked appealing to ME.

A sandbox MMO to me is a game where you are able to creat your own content, SWG atleast when I returned last year for about 8 months still had these options, you where not forced into one role, which most games only have the combat role, but then again greed is what hurts this genre. And skill-based can be a sandbox feature but isn't a demanding feature for a game to be a sandbox, player created content is and I have not looked into darkfall to know if it has player created content, if it has then yeah I might consider it a sandbox, shame it's not appealing to me due to the way it looks.

And sorry if people feel SWG isn't a sandbox game then big change is that they never will understand sandbox games. I don't care about the bugs or broken things (afcourse I do care but not in the way I feel the game is still a sandbox) one thing stands and SWG is or was for me the most sandbox experiance from all MMORPG I have played, and yes pre-cu SWG was supiriour to what I felt when I returned but that doesn't trow out the fact that the game still had all means to creat player made content.

What are you talking about?  SWG NGE is a linear-based game, it is nothing of a sandbox.  Player-created content?  The story-teller is about it, and it is very limited and generic.  How are you not forced into roles?  The SWG classes are some of the most restrictive in any online game I have ever played...

The SWG sandbox died when you lost the skill-based system and classless gameplay.  You just flat don't understand what a sandbox is, that much is obvious.

As for Darkfall, it is 100% skill-based and has a 100% player-driven economy, you don't have to be a class at all, you can do anything you want.  You have player-built cities, housing, and vendors.  There are no PvP limitations at all.

It is 100% open and player-driven.  Calling the NGE a sandbox is comical and you lose all credibility with your motives.  The NGE is restrictive in almost every way.  The elements remaining from the Sandbox like the economy are dumbed-down.  You are forced to choose a class and a profession.

Seriously, SWG is so far from a sandbox game it's absurd to even confuse it with one.

Tecmo Bowl.

What are you talking about?  SWG NGE is a linear-based game, in your opion, it isn´t mine, I know you are a person who simply dislike it when someone tells you something different, and you already have proven to have a very narrowminded way of thinking so no worry´s
     it is nothing of a sandbox.  Player-created content?  The story-teller is about it, and it is very limited and generic.  How are you not forced into roles?  The SWG classes are some of the most restrictive in any online game I have ever played... the reason is your very limited view upon these type of games.
    The SWG sandbox died when you lost the skill-based system and classless gameplay.  You just flat don't understand what a sandbox is, that much is obvious. haha sure what ever you say man
    As for Darkfall, it is 100% skill-based and has a 100% player-driven economy, you don't have to be a class at all, you can do anything you want.  You have player-built cities, housing, and vendors.  There are no PvP limitations at all. Hope you are right and I will definitly play it, but I alreayd know the name will soon change into Darkfail, definitly not by me but if the game is really what you say it we already know it will not be a large succes and we will see bash after bash at the game. Player driven economy, seriously people don´t have the patient to sit that one out, I do have hte patient, but I already know we will see topics saying player driven economy sucks we will see this within weeks of the game released due to the many unexperiance people.
    It is 100% open and player-driven.  Calling the NGE a sandbox is comical and you lose all credibility with your motives.  The NGE is restrictive in almost every way.  The elements remaining from the Sandbox like the economy are dumbed-down.  You are forced to choose a class and a profession. Yeah yeah by now most people already have seen your limited scope on things, no need to continue ot proof that scope.
    Seriously, SWG is so far from a sandbox game it's absurd to even confuse it with one. The way you might have played the game might have been a linear experiance, I for one don´t need my handhold.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Time to throw my 2 cents in, SWG as of now is much much less of a sandbox as it was 3 years ago, loot is dominating the game and economy over crafted stuff. Back then the loot-craft stuff were rarer and expensive (DXR-6 rifle, scythe & sonic blaster) but now almost everything involved in the game is loot-craft and player crafted items are a bit less in quality.

The sandbox I remember back then was when a smuggler stood in Coronet selling service to slicing armor/weapons or opening locked containers, doctors buffing, merchants selling weapons/armor with varied stats (instead of the cookie cutter easy to cap stats) which created market competition (and this was a good thing). Someone crafted 65% resist composite sold the suit for 120K which was good for budget buyers, someone else with more experience and more quality resources crafted 72% composite suits for 600K-800K were for the richer folks and more potential of reaching cap through smuggler slice (90% special)- but now someone with a character a week old can make a cap 7500+ armor and sell it for 1.2 mil credits just as easily as someone that's been an armorsmith for 5 years.

Originally posted by sookster54

Time to throw my 2 cents in, SWG as of now is much much less of a sandbox as it was 3 years ago, loot is dominating the game and economy over crafted stuff. Back then the loot-craft stuff were rarer and expensive (DXR-6 rifle, scythe & sonic blaster) but now almost everything involved in the game is loot-craft and player crafted items are a bit less in quality.
    Agree. Already said it but differently as I said pre-cu SWG felt Superior to the current game, kinda means the same, yet Thunder needed to twist that post of mine into something else.

The sandbox I remember back then was when a smuggler stood in Coronet selling service to slicing armor/weapons or opening locked containers, doctors buffing, merchants selling weapons/armor with varied stats (instead of the cookie cutter easy to cap stats) which created market competition (and this was a good thing). Someone crafted 65% resist composite sold the suit for 120K which was good for budget buyers, someone else with more experience and more quality resources crafted 72% composite suits for 600K-800K were for the richer folks and more potential of reaching cap through smuggler slice (90% special)- but now someone with a character a week old can make a cap 7500+ armor and sell it for 1.2 mil credits just as easily as someone that's been an armorsmith for 5 years.
    Same memory's, very very good times, in fact the best of times I ever had in a MMORPG where with pre-cu SWG, no doubt about that

What are you talking about?  SWG NGE is a linear-based game, in your opion, it isn´t mine, I know you are a person who simply dislike it when someone tells you something different, and you already have proven to have a very narrowminded way of thinking so no worry´s
     it is nothing of a sandbox.  Player-created content?  The story-teller is about it, and it is very limited and generic.  How are you not forced into roles?  The SWG classes are some of the most restrictive in any online game I have ever played... the reason is your very limited view upon these type of games.
    The SWG sandbox died when you lost the skill-based system and classless gameplay.  You just flat don't understand what a sandbox is, that much is obvious. haha sure what ever you say man
    As for Darkfall, it is 100% skill-based and has a 100% player-driven economy, you don't have to be a class at all, you can do anything you want.  You have player-built cities, housing, and vendors.  There are no PvP limitations at all. Hope you are right and I will definitly play it, but I alreayd know the name will soon change into Darkfail, definitly not by me but if the game is really what you say it we already know it will not be a large succes and we will see bash after bash at the game. Player driven economy, seriously people don´t have the patient to sit that one out, I do have hte patient, but I already know we will see topics saying player driven economy sucks we will see this within weeks of the game released due to the many unexperiance people.
    It is 100% open and player-driven.  Calling the NGE a sandbox is comical and you lose all credibility with your motives.  The NGE is restrictive in almost every way.  The elements remaining from the Sandbox like the economy are dumbed-down.  You are forced to choose a class and a profession. Yeah yeah by now most people already have seen your limited scope on things, no need to continue ot proof that scope.
    Seriously, SWG is so far from a sandbox game it's absurd to even confuse it with one. The way you might have played the game might have been a linear experiance, I for one don´t need my handhold.

So you are going to come on here and tell us that SWG as it is today is NOT a linear game?  Do you understand what the term "linear" actually means?

Linear:  Relating to or resembling a line.  Straight.  Having 1 dimension.

SWG is a level-based game, meaning you level up in succession inside a profession.  Your progression is linear, it is a straight line to a higher number within that profession.  It is a typical linear-based game.

That isn't my opinion, it's FACT.

Some things are up for debate and some things are purely based on opinion, this is not one of those.  It may be your opinion that SWG is fun and my opinion that it is not, but it is simply FACT that the game is linear-based progression.

SWG Pre-CU was not.  You could use skills in a 2nd dimension and were not restricted to a profession.  You could do pretty much anything as long as a skill was present.

Darkfall is said to have far more skills than Pre-CU SWG.  It has a skill-system like Pre-CU SWG.  It is not linear.  SWG NGE is linear.

While you may like this game and most of us do not, you clearly cannot describe it as anything other than a linear-based game.

Tecmo Bowl.

So you are going to come on here and tell us that SWG as it is today is NOT a linear game?  Do you understand what the term "linear" actually means? No I am NOT, I am saying I don't play it linear there for it doesn't feel linear to me, see what I mean with narrowminded views, you seem not to get what I am saying. sorry man.

SWG is a level-based game, meaning you level up in succession inside a profession.  Your progression is linear, it is a straight line to a higher number within that profession.  It is a typical linear-based game.

Some things are up for debate and some things are purely based on opinion, this is not one of those.  It may be your opinion that SWG is fun and my opinion that it is not, but it is simply FACT that the game is linear-based progression. Have I said otherwise .......NO I didn't talk about the progression.

SWG Pre-CU was not.  You could use skills in a 2nd dimension and were not restricted to a profession.  You could do pretty much anything as long as a skill was present.

Darkfall is said to have far more skills than Pre-CU SWG.  It has a skill-system like Pre-CU SWG.  It is not linear.  SWG NGE is linear.

While you may like this game and most of us do not, you clearly cannot describe it as anything other than a linear-based game.

If I liked this game wouldn't I be playing it, guess you are talking about SWG? wel once again i will tell you I AM NOT PLAYING CURRENT SWG IF I FELT THE GAME WAS GREAT I WOULD BE PLAYING IT would I not? Hope it now gets thru to you. And sorry for being this way but geez man you seem to be really thikheaded.

To make it clear your first reply to me was at the post that started with:

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

So you are going to come on here and tell us that SWG as it is today is NOT a linear game?  Do you understand what the term "linear" actually means? No I am NOT, I am saying I don't play it linear there for it doesn't feel linear to me, see what I mean with narrowminded views, you seem not to get what I am saying. sorry man.

Some things are up for debate and some things are purely based on opinion, this is not one of those.  It may be your opinion that SWG is fun and my opinion that it is not, but it is simply FACT that the game is linear-based progression. Have I said otherwise .......NO I didn't talk about the progression.

If I liked this game wouldn't I be playing it, guess you are talking about SWG? wel once again i will tell you I AM NOT PLAYING CURRENT SWG IF I FELT THE GAME WAS GREAT I WOULD BE PLAYING IT would I not? Hope it now gets thru to you. And sorry for being this way but geez man you seem to be really thikheaded.

To make it clear your first reply to me was at the post that started with:

don't mean to butt into your argument , but if it helps any, a year ago SWG was still more sandbox than most other MMOs all-be-it in a more limited capacity than you were probably used to.  But it is definitely linear now.

• WharfRatWharfRat Member Posts: 32

darkfall has promise if it can deliver. I was disapointed somewhat with the movie as another post said it seemed more like a smoke screen it really showed none of the sub systems. Crafting,ui,pve ai which they've bosted about, char. creation especialy since what i saw as far a toons go all looked the same.The graphics aren't very good but they were never meant to be. The game is based on pvp geared towards large scale battles you cant have both.

some of the swg qualities it has are

open world you can do what you want  FREEDOM

no class restrictions (want to heal and tank you can)

almost everything is player crafted with decay its not about who loots the epic weapon bs                                 crafted goods >than looted goods 

resources play apart and to get the resources you need to control the land the resouces are on

The devs are blowing it with there hush, hush attitude especialy with warhammer comin out because one thing thats more important than the game are the people you play it with and the group ive played with (about 25peeps) since early pre-cu is going for war because of this no info crap the devs are doin.As it stands now Darkfall is at the level of Dnl in my view sure there is a game but who the hell knows how it plays or if it plays.