Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone gotten there key yet to get in the Close Beta?

twistedvenomtwistedvenom Member Posts: 118

I was just wondering if anyone has been emailed thier Beta key yet or has started playing the game or started to download the client yet?

Thanks

Comments

• Rebn77Rebn77 Member Posts: 321

I got mine!

Downloading the client right now.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Not yet I guess I didn't make the first wave of testing.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

i also didnt get one

but they said they will send more keys later so maybe we gonna be lucky next time

• xcursedmoonxxcursedmoonx Member Posts: 22

This from their forum:

Auhron: moderator

Hello everyone,

first of all, i owe you some excuses, that we kept you in the dark for quite some time. As some of you might already thought, we have much work today as the preparation of the closed beta takes quite some time.

I can assure you, that we are working hard to get the closed beta up and running for the first testers.

The closed beta is still going to start today, on 28th of August. So you please just need to stay calm for a bit longer. We all know you are waiting for the keys and the launch of the beta and like i said, our team is working on it, as fast as possible.

So, just watch some GC Videos, game videos, interviews and think about what class combination you'll start with and try not to make to much threads about asking "when the beta will start". We'll inform you as soon as we got new informations ready!

so be patient guys it will be there soon!

I'm still downloading the client .

I'm on an 8 MB cable connection and usually can DL 3GB in no time ... but this is SLOW! I'm bouncing between 20KB/s and 250KB/s, with hovering between 75KB/s and 100KB/s.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Rebn77

I'm still downloading the client .
    I'm on an 8 MB cable connection and usually can DL 3GB in no time ... but this is SLOW! I'm bouncing between 20KB/s and 250KB/s, with hovering between 75KB/s and 100KB/s.

what kind of downloading system are they using? just a normal one, or torrent?

Torrent.

Have you guys been on the official forums in the past hour or so? The community is getting really ugly. It's almost as bad as the official Age of conan forums .

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

ive downloaded the client, and all of the .fdb files are giving me problems when extracting. It took me almost a whole day to dowload with 25mb of download speed...

• donoakdonoak Member UncommonPosts: 37

I got my beta key, but today there is no link to download the client, must be a problem LOL

• allanoreallanore Member Posts: 20

It seems they weren't prepared for the mass of requests for keys and client downloads in closed beta.

From what I am reading they're rolling out beta keys in waves. If they stopped rolling out beta keys that means some of us might not get a chance to play or participate until a later time when they plan to roll out the open beta.

Makes me wonder what kind of quality game this is going be? Retracting my hype score and making it lower due to apparent lack of preparedness on their part.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* HP m9250f (Intel Quad Core 6700 / 4 Gig RAM / Nvidia 8600GT / Vista 64 Bit)

• archisisarchisis Member UncommonPosts: 58

I dont recommend anyone try getting in this beta right now. There is so much chaos within the community.

I am appauled at how the moderators are not  moderating and not giving feedback on the progress of the beta. I think they are slightly overwhelmed by the community's reaction.

Some of the players that were given access to the beta are cruel and already using exploits to grief players. They are pking rampantly and we arent sure if anything is being done about that.

Go read the forums and get some insight before you decide to play. :)

http://forum.runesofmagic.com/index.php

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Sadly i agree..

They waited untill like 14 hours into the 28th to even mention the status of closed beta (was scheduled to open the 28th)

What this has lead to, as you can expect, is some discontent on the games official forums.  Hundreds of kids waiting for open beta to start with almost no information from the staff can be fustrating.  Hell i still cant figure out where to download the client from.

The sent out "waves" of beta invites, but havent really explained how many or how they went about choosing how the invites where sent. Or really any information other than apologizing from the lack of communication with their players and the promise to be patient and wait for more invites to be sent out.  Rumor had it that more invites would be sent out sep1st but i have yet to find the offical announcment about it.  So right now its just a bunch of people waiting on the forums for any type of information regarding when invites will be sent.

So right now, its starting to look like the company releasing the game is either really new to doing this, or really half assing it.  could go either way.  just hope that the game is good enough to warrent such a unprofessional approach to beta testing.

Also i should add, with these small problems the community is already tearing itself apart, before the game has even really started.  The usual, people complain about whats going on, then others cry and whine that those people are complaining, in the end you got half the people stressing thir grief and the other half starting fights and telling people to gtfo and stop whining...

Originally posted by crunchyblack

Sadly i agree..
    They waited untill like 14 hours into the 28th to even mention the status of closed beta (was scheduled to open the 28th)
    What this has lead to, as you can expect, is some discontent on the games official forums.  Hundreds of kids waiting for open beta to start with almost no information from the staff can be fustrating.  Hell i still cant figure out where to download the client from.
    The sent out "waves" of beta invites, but havent really explained how many or how they went about choosing how the invites where sent. Or really any information other than apologizing from the lack of communication with their players and the promise to be patient and wait for more invites to be sent out.  Rumor had it that more invites would be sent out sep1st but i have yet to find the offical announcment about it.  So right now its just a bunch of people waiting on the forums for any type of information regarding when invites will be sent.
    So right now, its starting to look like the company releasing the game is either really new to doing this, or really half assing it.  could go either way.  just hope that the game is good enough to warrent such a unprofessional approach to beta testing.
    Also i should add, with these small problems the community is already tearing itself apart, before the game has even really started.  The usual, people complain about whats going on, then others cry and whine that those people are complaining, in the end you got half the people stressing thir grief and the other half starting fights and telling people to gtfo and stop whining...

Here is the link to the client

http://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?p=96689#post96689

This is a link to the apology letter from Frogster that gives you info on how they issued beta access

http://forum.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=3935

• PiasekPiasek Member Posts: 318

Theres no such thing like key..if u get an invite ur beta account is activated and they will send you confirm on mail. No key, trust me i know

Originally posted by petersand

Theres no such thing like key..if u get an invite ur beta account is activated and they will send you confirm on mail. No key, trust me i know

You are correct. There is no key. They activate your account so you can have access when you log in.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

Frogster is not a big publisher.  They are not able to deal with this title right now. Only time will tell if they are capable of dealing with a big title. They bought this game in English and German, with the hopes of selling off the English rights, to pay for the german version. Now that this hasnt happened, they are stuck with a big game, that they cant support, without spending a lot of money on....

It will be interesting to see how they recover from this, as they have to deal with TCOS soon as well (even though they offloaded the english version to Acclaim, and in doing so go the german ver for free).

• DasadorahDasadorah Member Posts: 38

I got a key and the game is freaking awsome. :) I got in the second day 1st wave.

-GUILDMASTER OF WICKED RED-

• valdexvaldex Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Dasadorah

I got a key and the game is freaking awsome. :) I got in the second day 1st wave.

way to break the NDA

• draguleadragulea Member Posts: 249

These are the facts:
    1. the game went pretty much under the radar for months; it managed to attract a handful of ppl and build a friendly communuty.
    2. a few days before and after the CB started, chaos was brought to RoM in the shape of 20.000 or more new accounts and hordes of impatient individuals crying for "CB keys".
    3. after the first waves of invites were sent, many ppl got pissed off for not being accepted for CB so they started to trash the game and spread bad publicity about it.
    4. these childish actions were fueled by some idiotic' "statements" of ppl that pretended to be CB testers and bad mouthed the game, only because they obvioulsy have no clue what a CB is all about and what their job as CB testers is.
    5. the community is not torn apart: the ppl that impatiently rushed in to cry for CB access got tired of waiting and decided to move along. The initial crowd is still there.
    6. yes, Frogster (the publisher) went until now pretty silent about the CB, but my guess is they didn't expect the RoM CB to be so popular so they're a bit understaffed and hence decided to pull all their resources to the CB. This might have been interpreted as lack of interest from their part towards the new members of the community, but they're not a big name and RoM is their first game, so...
    7. Frogster said they continue to send CB invites. Be patient, you might soon get CB access - just be sure you'll do your part when that happens ;)

Im really not a fan of the way they went about handing out closed beta keys.

At first this idea that the keys would be handed out in waves, so that eventually everyone could play, sounded like a good idea.

Now, however, it seems to be dragging on, as people wait for the next wave, unknowing if they will get an invite this week or in a month.

They should have just sent them all out, so those who have not been selected could move on unitll open beta.

It just seems to be fustrating lots of people, who signed up early, participated in the forums, and now have to wait, week by week, to find out if they will be able to play.  You can imagine how fustrating that coul be.  Luckily im not one of these people, i regesterd late and kind of expect no key now.

• draguleadragulea Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by crunchyblackIt just seems to be fustrating lots of people, who signed up early, participated in the forums, and now have to wait, week by week, to find out if they will be able to play.

Just because ppl say they've joined the CB enrolling early and were active forum members doesn't mean it's also true.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

I just did the MMOSite contest and got an account from that but i guess im waiting for an email.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• SyriSyri Member UncommonPosts: 230

At first this idea that the keys would be handed out in waves, so that eventually everyone could play, sounded like a good idea.
    Now, however, it seems to be dragging on, as people wait for the next wave, unknowing if they will get an invite this week or in a month.
    They should have just sent them all out, so those who have not been selected could move on unitll open beta.
    It just seems to be fustrating lots of people, who signed up early, participated in the forums, and now have to wait, week by week, to find out if they will be able to play.  You can imagine how fustrating that coul be.  Luckily im not one of these people, i regesterd late and kind of expect no key now.

if you were writing an mmo, you'd not had more people test it than you had staff members so far, and were about to open it up to some public testers, what would you do?

would you hand out a pass to everyone that wanted one, not knowing if the server could take it or not, and then just watch it melt down under the load?

or would you get a group at a time, build it up, find what the ideal number is, and work around that?

I know which option I'd choose... and it wouldn't be an overloaded server

------------------------------
    Currently playing: Rift

former player of: DAoC, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, SWG (pre-NGE), WoW, Warhammer online, LotR:O

Originally posted by Syri

if you were writing an mmo, you'd not had more people test it than you had staff members so far, and were about to open it up to some public testers, what would you do?

would you hand out a pass to everyone that wanted one, not knowing if the server could take it or not, and then just watch it melt down under the load?

or would you get a group at a time, build it up, find what the ideal number is, and work around that?

I know which option I'd choose... and it wouldn't be an overloaded server

Yeah i would open the flood gates, you cant stress test without reaching the failure point, otherwise you really wont know how exactly the server is going to preform or how heavy a load it can handle.

• DasadorahDasadorah Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by valdex

Originally posted by Dasadorah

way to break the NDA

How is that breaking the NDA? Are you stupid or something? I didnt say anything about whats in the game. What are you going to do report me? Might as well ... I mean I did break the NDA by just saying its an awsome game.

-GUILDMASTER OF WICKED RED-