Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A real effort to write a positive review.

Platon2xPlaton2x Member UncommonPosts: 61

I've tried a few professions and what I can say combat is broken and boring. The game lags so much that the realtime combat efforts have failed miserably. However as Im not an expert on the system yet I'll give it a few more tries.

What kinda shocked me, cause I've hoped the game would die and close since the introduction of CU and after that the NGE, is that the game really are barren. Before I was hoping the game was barren and the server were empty, but I didnt believe it. However yesterday I logged into Chimaera and thought, wow where are all the people? Did travel around I saw 1 person in bestine 10+ in Theed, maybe 3 in Coronet etc.. even Dantooine was empty, so was Endor. I visited my old city and home on Rori, didnt see any people, but I noticed the lag so I guess there are people in Restuss (?)

Ok to the point why I was shocked, I loged out and decided I wanted to try to roll a toon on Bria, I saw Bria load was heavy and though that would give a good indication of the population, then I discovered that Chimaera was listed as heavy aswell (only two btw, Bria and Chimaera). WTF!!! If Chimaera was heavy Im Donald Duck or the game now are so poorly coded that it is really heavy, which in PreCU would be considered  Very Light.

However I tried out some crafting and I must say, the game probabably has the best crafting seen in an mmo, but what does that help when its more or less pointless as you won't get returning customers due to no Decay and better loot

This game I agree is probably one of the best out there, but think about the potential, when the game fail on so many levels. And alot of the decissions is just not logical. Just WTF!!!

I'll keep on trying to enjoy the game, but...

Comments

• SmurfMagicSmurfMagic Member Posts: 664

I will write the review for you.

SWG Online Review, by SmurfMagic.

After a long rest, Smurfmagic logs onto SWG for a fresh look at the game. Logging in and following the newbie arrows and doing the basic missions took all but a couple of hours to complete. I was rewarded with new skills and gear. I went to the most populated server and visited the most populated cities.

I will sum up my 14 day trial with the following pictures based on how the game made me feel from start to finish of my trial:

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Platon2x

I've tried a few professions and what I can say combat is broken and boring. The game lags so much that the realtime combat efforts have failed miserably. However as Im not an expert on the system yet I'll give it a few more tries.  Combat system worked quite well in pvp, not so good pve.  But pvp has also been damaged by gcw grind and heroics attachements.
    What kinda shocked me, cause I've hoped the game would die and close since the introduction of CU and after that the NGE, is that the game really are barren. Before I was hoping the game was barren and the server were empty, but I didnt believe it. However yesterday I logged into Chimaera and thought, wow where are all the people? Did travel around I saw 1 person in bestine 10+ in Theed, maybe 3 in Coronet etc.. even Dantooine was empty, so was Endor. I visited my old city and home on Rori, didnt see any people, but I noticed the lag so I guess there are people in Restuss (?) Restuss is the only pvp spot left due to the gcw grind so there are usually some ppl there.  The lack of population gives u an indicator as to the state of the game:(
    Ok to the point why I was shocked, I loged out and decided I wanted to try to roll a toon on Bria, I saw Bria load was heavy and though that would give a good indication of the population, then I discovered that Chimaera was listed as heavy aswell (only two btw, Bria and Chimaera). WTF!!! If Chimaera was heavy Im Donald Duck or the game now are so poorly coded that it is really heavy, which in PreCU would be considered  Very Light.  I never  played pre cu but even I would say its not the game it used to be.
    However I tried out some crafting and I must say, the game probabably has the best crafting seen in an mmo, but what does that help when its more or less pointless as you won't get returning customers due to no Decay and better loot  I agree with this completely the crafting has been the 1 consistent good thing mentioned in all the reviews i've read so of course SOE are now messing with it.  And yes the lack of consumables and the amount of free items makes it pretty pointless.
    This game I agree is probably one of the best out there, but think about the potential, when the game fail on so many levels. And alot of the decissions is just not logical. Just WTF!!!  I've tried a lot of MMOs and don't agree this is the best 1 out there, but i will say it has the best potential, unfortunately SOE seems in no-way to want to use any of that potential.  I would also say swg had the best community i ever came across but have been told this is also going down hill now:(
    I'll keep on trying to enjoy the game, but...  Good luck.  I hope that if u do find something to enjoy SOE doesn't try to 'improve' it for u

• Platon2xPlaton2x Member UncommonPosts: 61

Played  littlebit to day aswell and I tried to socialize and were looking for People. Most of the major cities were empty, but sometimes I ran into people at airports etc... What stroke me were that no one were talking, not even when I talked to them. They seemed busy and totally ignored whatever came their way. After 12-13 hours of play time, mostly traveling to the major cities Ive not seen any PvP, no advertising, not even conversations between players etc... hm... I know SWG has become a game where You most of the time can go by Your own business, cause there aint really a need for any interaction with other players as Your self sufficient. SWG has more or less turned into a singel player game and for the guilds I think You'd would got the same staisfaction running the game at Your yearly LAN.

There aint any interactions, no community whatsoever. There may be many reasons for this ex; the game has been dumbed down and most features can be handled by 1 class henche no need for interaction etc.. but the major reason is that there just aint anyone playing (?) On Bria I saw 5+ people in Theed and 1 in Bestine WTF!!!!!?

• GutboyGutboy Member Posts: 630

As far as people not chatting in spatial, please note that the recent update made voice chat free for all ingame, so those people were chatting just not in spatial.

And the places that people gather shifts as time goes on, being able to use your starship to go from any starport to any starport makes places like Theed and Coronet not popular anymore.

And finally the game is radically different for people in a good guild as opposed to single players "doing the trial". Most of the recent content added to the game requires full groups of eight players to enjoy.

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341

I've tried a few professions and what I can say combat is broken and boring. The game lags so much that the realtime combat efforts have failed miserably. However as Im not an expert on the system yet I'll give it a few more tries.
    What kinda shocked me, cause I've hoped the game would die and close since the introduction of CU and after that the NGE, is that the game really are barren. Before I was hoping the game was barren and the server were empty, but I didnt believe it. However yesterday I logged into Chimaera and thought, wow where are all the people? Did travel around I saw 1 person in bestine 10+ in Theed, maybe 3 in Coronet etc.. even Dantooine was empty, so was Endor. I visited my old city and home on Rori, didnt see any people, but I noticed the lag so I guess there are people in Restuss (?)
    Ok to the point why I was shocked, I loged out and decided I wanted to try to roll a toon on Bria, I saw Bria load was heavy and though that would give a good indication of the population, then I discovered that Chimaera was listed as heavy aswell (only two btw, Bria and Chimaera). WTF!!! If Chimaera was heavy Im Donald Duck or the game now are so poorly coded that it is really heavy, which in PreCU would be considered  Very Light.
    However I tried out some crafting and I must say, the game probabably has the best crafting seen in an mmo, but what does that help when its more or less pointless as you won't get returning customers due to no Decay and better loot
    This game I agree is probably one of the best out there, but think about the potential, when the game fail on so many levels. And alot of the decissions is just not logical. Just WTF!!!

I do not know about your home server,but Bria and Bloodfin are loaded with players. I returned 2 months ago and personally I am having more fun now than I did when I played Pre-Cu.I miss some of the aspects that Pre-Cu had to offer,but right now this game is not bad at all,it has some issues yes,but its fun to me nonetheless. I wonder if you are checking the right places for people to be hanging out at,because all the old hang outs like Dantooine and Correllia are gone. People hang out at Mos Eisley mostly these days and are spread out all over the game thx to the Legacy quests.I do not know where all these posts are coming from saying there are no people ,It must be other servers and I just lucked out and ended up on 2 good servers. After the last 2 months I have found more staying power with swg than WoW,Conan or just about any other mmo out there right now. Anyway its all up to you I hope you stay long enough to enjoy yourself the crafting is the best of any mmo and they are making it better. I am having a great time in SWG for now and could care less if they flame me for liking it or not. I liked SWG Pre-Cu,I liked it in its CU form and now after 2 years the NGE is not as bad as it was and I am liking it too:P

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

You've just exposed yourself for the troll you are in your second paragraph. Shall I quote you?

“I've hoped the game would die and close since the introduction of CU”

Need I say more? Yet another disgruntled player stuck two years in the past with the NGE then rather than what it is now. You're just trying to do a negative troll against SOE and SWG in an attempt to put off new players wishing to try it.

Originally posted by IAmMMO

You've just exposed yourself for the troll you are in your second paragraph. Shall I quote you?

“I've hoped the game would die and close since the introduction of CU”

Need I say more? Yet another disgruntled player stuck two years in the past with the NGE then rather than what it is now. You're just trying to do a negative troll against SOE and SWG in an attempt to put off new players wishing to try it.

Its indeed a real effort to meet the game I once loved with open eyes and I didnt try to hide where I'm comming from. You bet Im a disgruntled vet and the reason I'm back trying the game is that I tried out the EMU alpha and realized I miss the game and I will try to still get back and hopegully liking it.

WTF stuck 2 years back in time, what didnt You understand with me saying I currently play it and base my experience with the game as it is NOW.

Sorry for hurting your feelings, Smed

You can look me up on one of thiese toons.

Uurukay - Bria

Nataz or Siriwan - Chimaera

Nicolaz - Wanderhome

Ok I've had another day in Galaxies and I must say I do enjoy it, but its not even 10% of the joy I had in PreCU

The game has indeed severe problems with lag and I crash to desktop approx every 2 hour, usually while fighting.

There are somethings that are superior to PreCU(!!!) that is the mob difficulty, atleast as of now, as Im not expert, but doing well with my Jedi.

I have a setup not to different form what I had in PreCU.

• HastorHadronHastorHadron Member Posts: 187

I am not overly thrilled with some of the decisions the development team has made lately. But I must say that the munitions update was great. I am really enjoying running around with my viable big honking rifle again!

I really think this game probably should just stop trying to fiddle with things like combat professions (I doubt they will ever get that right) and focus on things that allow the playerbase to customize their characters.

A classic server would be a great start :)

They should also really try to focus on things that let the players immerse themselves visually and not be so cookie cutter. As much as I hated everyone running around in comp armor pre-cu --- the jedi running around with the potato sacks on is equally annoying. I would love to see an appearance tab similar to LOTR implemented.

They should also address other non-combat issues that have been neglected since the train wreck of the NGE. Player cities were a great idea. Removing decay was a terrible decision. And I say bring back citywarn!

It is your city, if you do not like the look of someone, I think you should be able to flag them and let the militia "handle" it.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by HastorHadron

I am not overly thrilled with some of the decisions the development team has made lately. But I must say that the munitions update was great. I am really enjoying running around with my viable big honking rifle again!

I really think this game probably should just stop trying to fiddle with things like combat professions (I doubt they will ever get that right) and focus on things that allow the playerbase to customize their characters.

They should also really try to focus on things that let the players immerse themselves visually and not be so cookie cutter. As much as I hated everyone running around in comp armor pre-cu --- the jedi running around with the potato sacks on is equally annoying. I would love to see an appearance tab similar to LOTR implemented.
    They should also address other non-combat issues that have been neglected since the train wreck of the NGE. Player cities were a great idea. Removing decay was a terrible decision. And I say bring back citywarn!
    It is your city, if you do not like the look of someone, I think you should be able to flag them and let the militia "handle" it.

This is probably the major malfunction with the entire game.  The constant "messing around" with the combat system/professions.  Every attempt costs SOE Austin more subs.  Every attempt costs players something that they had before.  But, this is really to be expected.  Blix cut his teeth, so to speak, on the NGE and believes that MMOs have to be "constantly CHANGEING".

"Classic servers" are probably the only way, now, for SWG to make any type of comeback.

• shohadabanshohadaban Member Posts: 36

Ok I've had another day in Galaxies and I must say I do enjoy it, but its not even 10% of the joy I had in PreCU
    The game has indeed severe problems with lag and I crash to desktop approx every 2 hour, usually while fighting.
    There are somethings that are superior to PreCU(!!!) that is the mob difficulty, atleast as of now, as Im not expert, but doing well with my Jedi.
    I have a setup not to different form what I had in PreCU.

I must say, your issues with lag, and crashing are on your side somehow as this game runs smooth and stable for me. I have been dropped from server ONCE in the 2 months I been back.

Even being afk macroing for days I still don't drop or leak memory. The game runs MUCH better then when NGE first hit it.

I'm an old vet myself, although there are things I don't like, I am having fun.

For people who wish to try this game, I say go for it. This forum is not the place to be asking about SWG though, as there are some really pissed off people here.

I was one of them.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Esquire1980

This is probably the major malfunction with the entire game.  The constant "messing around" with the combat system/professions.  Every attempt costs SOE Austin more subs.  Every attempt costs players something that they had before.  But, this is really to be expected.  Blix cut his teeth, so to speak, on the NGE and believes that MMOs have to be "constantly CHANGEING".

"Classic servers" are probably the only way, now, for SWG to make any type of comeback.

I completely agree and this is the main reason i couldn't recommend this game to anyone, even if they are doing something there they find fun its likely to be gone in a couple of months and replaced with a grind of some kind. 

and FYI most people lag playing SWG, its a 5 year old game u need a high end comp to run rofl,  its down to what SOE have done and NOT on the part of any player. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by HastorHadron I am not overly thrilled with some of the decisions the development team has made lately. But I must say that the munitions update was great. I am really enjoying running around with my viable big honking rifle again!

This is what's happening in Tabula Rasa right now, devs are constantly messing with each of the class abilities and each new patch results in fewer players. Endgame content is what the players want, devs hasn't even addressed that yet.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Karahandras

and FYI most people lag playing SWG, its a 5 year old game u need a high end comp to run rofl,  its down to what SOE have done and NOT on the part of any player. 

I had an AMD Duron 900 with 512MB ram and an ATI X700Pro 256M card when I got SWG back in June 2003, upgraded to a Tbird 1.2G not long after and the game ran great. Now I currently have an AMD X2 6000 with 4GB ram and an 8800GT 512M card, and last time I played SWG, I had lag in Eisley, Theed, Dant MO, Restuss and several player cities (empty ones too), lots of it. I was told "get a better computer" often, but I'm not the only one that experienced that lag with an up to date system.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Played  littlebit to day aswell and I tried to socialize and were looking for People. Most of the major cities were empty, but sometimes I ran into people at airports etc... What stroke me were that no one were talking, not even when I talked to them. They seemed busy and totally ignored whatever came their way. After 12-13 hours of play time, mostly traveling to the major cities Ive not seen any PvP, no advertising, not even conversations between players etc... hm... I know SWG has become a game where You most of the time can go by Your own business, cause there aint really a need for any interaction with other players as Your self sufficient. SWG has more or less turned into a singel player game and for the guilds I think You'd would got the same staisfaction running the game at Your yearly LAN.

There aint any interactions, no community whatsoever. There may be many reasons for this ex; the game has been dumbed down and most features can be handled by 1 class henche no need for interaction etc.. but the major reason is that there just aint anyone playing (?) On Bria I saw 5+ people in Theed and 1 in Bestine WTF!!!!!?

Let me stroll down memory lane as I am an old school SWG player.  I can remember being in coronet when the game was under 1 year of release and standing with literally hundreds of other players waiting for shuttles.  People talked, laughed, fought, and then there would be people (entertainers) doing dances and playing music.   It really was one of the funnest communities I ever experienced.  I remember loading into Naboo or Coronet as an overt pvper with friends and expecting a war to erupt, and many times it did.  This game is nothing but a shell of what it once was and what it could have been.  Alas, I have never found that same experience since this game, and I'm hoping to some day find it again.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

It is my contention that while not 100% confirmed yet the new Bioware MMO is indeed the new Star Wars MMO and Lucas Arts will not allow SOE to open the classic servers because they do not want to have two competing MMO's of the same type.  When the date is firmly set for the release of a new Star Wars MMO the SOE version will have the plug pulled.  It is also my opinion that since LA receives a small portion of the profit from SWG they will wait to kill SWG until the last possible moment.  It is my sincere hope that Bioware will announce for good the development of the MMO.  I will then pee my pants and preorder at the first possible opportunity. lol

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

NGE is like a cold, you just want to kill it.

Besides, I don't understand people still defend it, let both sides have their opinions...

{ Mod Edit } 

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.