Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hmm, Should I try Eve Online?

ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200

I have past experience with many MMO's but no sandbox type MMO's. I've played about 8 years worth of MMO's including EQ1, EQ2, WoW, DAOC, FFXI, AO, AC,CoH, LOTR:O and a few small free ones. I'm playing WoW right now with a few friends from work but its getting dull. Being level 70 and seing the same everything over and over.. it's getting old. I can see the same thing happening with the expansion as soon as people cap levels again.  I'm almost considering EQ2. that seemed to be a really good game when I was playing it. I stopped because I started taking many classes for my GED.. But now that i'm done... Hmm.

Thanks for any suggestions :D

Current MMO: WoW/GW2

Comments

• CamisadoCamisado Member Posts: 98

After this years bundle of MMos I think I should... either that or wothlk

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Eve has a free 14 day trial, so you've got nothing to loose except time I suppose.

It may feel a little overwhelming in Eve unless you know what you want to do once you start playing. Skills train over time, so its up to you if you want to hunt pirate npc's for money, mine asteriods, become a pirate youself and hunt players, and many many more.

Eve is centered around coorporations though, to really get into the game your gonna have to join one your interested in, and get social.

It isn't for everyone though, i love the idea of Eve, however its to much for me personally, specially since I don't usually join guilds in mmo's. Fantastic game however.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

You should certainly try it. Its a free trial, what could it hurt?

• ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200

Well.. I played it once about 2 years ago and it was very confusing, I played for a few days and stopped because I thought the idea of getting abilities while your offline favors veterans too much and gives just about anyone whos already been playing a big advantage over new people?

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Exavus

I have past experience with many MMO's but no sandbox type MMO's. I've played about 8 years worth of MMO's including EQ1, EQ2, WoW, DAOC, FFXI, AO, AC,CoH, LOTR:O and a few small free ones. I'm playing WoW right now with a few friends from work but its getting dull. Being level 70 and seing the same everything over and over.. it's getting old. I can see the same thing happening with the expansion as soon as people cap levels again.  I'm almost considering EQ2. that seemed to be a really good game when I was playing it. I stopped because I started taking many classes for my GED.. But now that i'm done... Hmm.

Sandbox game play is the opposite to all games you have mentioned. Its more like simulation and virtual world than a game, till all games you have played are just predefined games. For sure its nice to try a sandbox game, but there is big chance that you will not like it. Just be prepared for something absolutely different. You have to forget everything you like in the old games you have played and find the world and your role in the new one. Remember that if in other games even alone you still can do something, in sandbox game alone you are nothing, the only thing that have meaning in them is the society you play with. I personally love sandbox games, but in EvE I'm missing the fantasy world. Even that EvE is the best sandbox game up to now.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • hamsternatorhamsternator Member UncommonPosts: 13

A couple of things...

First of all - if you decide to go for the 14 day trial - use the time wisely and invest in the game. Eve IS a complex game, and if you sit down for 30 minutes every once in a while you'll not get properly into it, and will likely leave it in frustration. Longer play sessions are a must imo if you want to try it. The real meat takes a little effort and understanding to get to in Eve, unlike most other MMOs atm that a trained Lemur could pick up in 5 minutes...

Secondly - skills. Yes, veterans have an edge (in what MMO is this not true?), but really there are not THAT many skills to master an area. And that's the important part - you can quickly become pretty adept at one or two areas. You can quickly become a very good miner, refiner/builder, scout, medium attack or support pilot. Obviously the larger ships have prerequisites that mean you need more time to get to them, but every corporation needs people in different roles, and after just a short number of days you can be an asset in PvE or PvP. Don't be discouraged by veterans having better skills - they're generally good at a number of areas, whereas you'll only be good at a select few in the early days. This does NOT make you less useful to corporations or unable to solo PvE. Solo PvP of course is hard to begin with if that's your thing. Try attacking people in other MMOs as a lvl10... same deal :) The major edge veterans have, is that their support skills (faster/better armor/shield regeneration, speed, less power use etc.) are maxed, so they'll have an edge, but a group of new players can take down a veteran if they play well. Goonswarm (google them...) as a shining example of this. You're NOT outside the playing field by any means.

So yeah Eve is complex. You have to make your own decisions as to what you want to do - it's a sandbox after all - and a corporation is a VERY good idea for helpful chat, support and possibility of seing larger operations in PvE or PvP than you could yourself. Invest the time needed to understand the game, and you'll be rewarded with the deepest, most complex and evolving game out there. For some it's too complex and they'd rather have a quest giver with a question mark tell them what they should do next, and have crafting be a simple matter of hitting a rock 10 times and make a sword by clicking on the recipy. I'm not saying that's necessarily bad (I don't have time for Eve atm and thus right now like the brain dead MMOs that I can sit down with for 1 hour and not think). Eve is NOT this kind of game, and you need to understand what you're getting into, and decide if that's what you want.

Any MMO gamer who says that MMOs are too generic and simple HAS to give Eve a proper try imo - it might not be for you, but if you haven't tried it, you can't talk of the MMO genre generally with any authority, because Eve certainly is one of a kind :)

• ExavusExavus Member Posts: 200

Alright. Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure I find time for the trial before I download it. I'm pretty interested now.

• CiredricCiredric Member Posts: 723

Eve is not for instant gratification types, you have to expect it will take time to learn the game.   It is a very complex game.   The best thing to start is to decide what you are going to specialize and train all your skills in that direction.  Specialization puts you right up with the veterans in a couple of months or so.

Good luck to you. 

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Try ryzom first.   there's the whole unlimited free trial right now.   So you can get to whatever level you want, get to the mainland, and just plain old do whatever you want.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

EVE is not the solution to all and as much as love EVE and would love to see the entire planet playing it, the game is not for everyone. Try the 14 day trial and see if it's your type. There's alot of content in EVE and the scale of any activities in EVE are 10 times larger then any other MMO but you're not going to get it on a little plateau with a cute fork and some warning signs saying: "Carefull, coffee is hot"

However, if it's what you're looking for, then you'll love EVE and will probably never want to leave.

EVE is the only game that actually pumps my heart with Adrenaline.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

Dont waste your time with EQ2...If you're getting bored with WoW odds are you'd get bored with EQ2 shortly also.....

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Eve is like stamp collecting, you log on to put your stamps in your book then put your book away until you get more stamps.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Well.. I played it once about 2 years ago and it was very confusing, I played for a few days and stopped because I thought the idea of getting abilities while your offline favors veterans too much and gives just about anyone whos already been playing a big advantage over new people?

sooooooooooooooo, when you play another game, like wow... the fact that some people have been grinding gear nonstop for a couple of years, that doesn't favor the veterans over players who just started and are just now getting a toon to the level cap?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

After googling Goonswarm as you recommended, i think I am going to give this game a try. Where else in the virtual world can such things occur? Amazing stuff!

I am both a sandbox gaming and sci-fi fan. I d/l'd the trial a year or more ago and I didn't have time to give the trial a chance. I probably spent 4-5 hours on it total.

From what I've been reading it seems like I should sit down and give it some time. I want to like this game, the concept blows my mind...it's great.

I'm downloading it now. I'll hit these forums again once I go through the tutorial again. Hahah...

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

You should give it a try. Eve Online is one of the best developed games in the industry. You will love it after the 3 hours Tutorial hahaha. Get on a Corp quickly and u should be fine.

Don't get scared when you first look at the map

GL HF

• Brain-deadBrain-dead Member Posts: 256

EVE is probably the best game I have ever played. But there are two things you need to consider before jumping in:

1) It is the most complex game I have ever played, on any platform. This gives it depth that I have not seen in any other game, but also makes it intimidating to get into. Expect a steep learning curve.

2) It can be time consuming.

If you can accept those two things, you might like it.

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by Darkor_hXc

You should give it a try. Eve Online is one of the best developed games in the industry. You will love it after the 3 hours Tutorial hahaha. Get on a Corp quickly and u should be fine.
    Don't get scared when you first look at the map

GL HF

Hahah. Okay. I've been reading through the guides and whatnot. I will give it a serious shot and report back if I need any advice I can't get answers to. Any corps looking for newb winners? hahha. Experienced gamer, have a feeling for the basics of the game, but am guessing it would be much more enjoyable  being new with a group of people who are there to have fun.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• Storm1tyStorm1ty Member Posts: 1

don't try this game it will eat your entire free time!!!