Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One word review: Underwhelming

2»

Comments

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by longabow

Originally posted by mrroboto40

I suppose you don't like the very non-linear Public Quests, and Scenarios, as I they completely de-rail your "linear" mindset.
    The fact that you can participate in quests with countless others while still getting rewards, and great experience. While the same goes for PvP, I have never played a game where you can also get mob like EXP for killing other players, while also getting loot from them, and substantial amounts of cash. And you can level up solely off that.

What is it that you find exciting in participating in a grind with N players none of whom give a damn about your presence there? The point is not in having an icon that says you are in group with this or that but actually collaborating in some meaningful way.

The main fallacy of the PQ system seems to be that it will foster group play. Whereas at least in the open beta, it only seems to promote indifference and  reduces meaningful grouping and social aspects.

Also you say that one can level up by redoing PQs over and over again. Is that the non-linear aspect of PQs that you refer to?  Indeed that is non-linear in the sense that running in a circle is non-linear as well.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. Why play MMO's in the first place since the whole idea behind them is that they are a grind. That's how they make their money, by making the player want to play more. Grinding is simply a method to do that. But at least here, the grinding has a purpose. To participate in the PvP, especially in the siege battles which do serve a purpose.

As far as the PQ's, you're speaking from the perspective of an anti-social personality. For me, I actively seek out groups in the PQ that I'm participating in, or start forming my own, as it makes it much easier to complete the PQ. You can level up doing whatever you like. PQ's are a quick way of gaining infamy. The game also leads you down along to find most of the PQ's along the way as well, which you call linear, but I call natural progression. Different words and meanings for the same thing. Linear to me means being pigeonholed to only be able to follow one path, a la Age of Conan. You can't stray from the way it's guiding you. Here, you can. You can go wherever you like, participate in whatever you like. You can move between the different factional areas as you like. While it's not as open as Vanguard, it's still more open than other MMO's out there. And the general consensus is that PQ's are fun and gives even the casual gamer a chance to feel like they contributed and gained something. Which, with your background, I would have thought you'd like.

But apparently you want to buy the best equipment you can and then be that tool who doesn't know how to play their class because they skipped all of their previous levels which were meant to be played so you learn the class. I mean, if you're not going to work for the gear/levels, why do you even play MMO's, whose purpose is that you spend time to gain the levels/items?

• verndvernd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by blueturtle13

You want not linear play EVE or Ryzom...I am playing Ryzom now and I am already having more fun with it then the past few months in WAR. Though I do admire the attention detail from Mythic. The sense of humor is great too.

Ryzom and EVE are fantastic games, but I think one would be doing a disservice to all three titles by comparing them to WAR. Each of these games strive to be something completely different, and in their ways I think each succeed at what the developers have set out to do. WAR still needs some polish and spit-shining, but I think it's definitely on the right track for delivering what the developers are intending. For better or worse though, with WAR that is a PVP/RVR focused game that doesn't really deviate into sandbox territory. Each player will have to decide for themselves if that's something they want.

• longabowlongabow Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Dreadlich

Could it be that you possibly, maybe, perhaps might not fully understand what's going on because it's new to you? It's ok to say you don't know wtf is going on.
    This isn't WOW PvP, teamwork matters and cluelessly running around spamming your abilities at random people will get your side pwned by any group of enemies that halfway know what they're doing.

True. I do not know what is going on. But that could be the game's fault as well. For every flaw in any game one can find an elitist who'll that says it makes perfect sense to them, but that does not change the fact that the game could do a lot better job informing the player.

BTW: Are you trying to say that in other MMOS (i.e. WoW) an organized group will not roll over a pickup group? I think teamwork matters a lot in just about any game.

The hope that somehow WAR PvP will be great once people start to better organize may be overly optimistic. As soon as people start to better undersand the game mechanics and begin to organize they will start picking fights that they are 100% sure that they will win.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• longabowlongabow Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by twhint

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. Why play MMO's in the first place since the whole idea behind them is that they are a grind. That's how they make their money, by making the player want to play more. Grinding is simply a method to do that. But at least here, the grinding has a purpose.

Grind is the term that is used to describe an obviously repetitive task. To me the quests in WAR feel extremely tired, not just because of what they ask you to do, kill this or that, but mainly due to the lack of any  meaningful challenge from the mobs. I was begging them, call for help you big black orc, or try to run away an bring back the whole village (murloc style), try to do something, but no but these dudes just stand there, we hack each other...

You can practically run around in your zone and aggro anything and everything then you'll see that nothing bad will happen, you can just run away. Once this realization happens upon you, the gamey/artificial feeling for the game starts to poke its ugly head.

It would be a whole lot better if there were fewer but far more difficult quests rather than having this nearly identical quests of mind numbing similarity.

The same applies to PQs. There will be no social interactions if doing the quests is trivial. There will be no social interactions if doing the quest is too difficult. This is why I think PQs will ultimately fail, they cannot be properly balanced. Just like the first reviews of AoC were lovefests, the PQ lovefest will soon end.

As for open PvP  I spend more time running around in open world PvP than actually fighting. This is how a typical open PvP fight takes place: 

1. I Start chasing a guy, he's running away, ...
    2. run run run,
    3. whoops he has two friends now, ok, lemme run back home...
    4. run-run-run now they are chasing me ...
    5. I get close to my base, there is a group a four there, whoa, let's kill those mofos that were chasing me,
    6. whaaaat now they are again on the run
    7. run run run
    8. look they are now five but two of ours dropped off somewhere
    9. run back run-run-run (sometimes it is advantageous to get killed as you can travel faster that way)

anyhow, that is my last post on this subject, I tried the game because I saw it hyped a lot. As always, and I should have known better, the hype is not nearly close to the actual value of the product.

• PinkCatPinkCat Member Posts: 218

It fails to excite, stimulate, or impress.
    Starting with an unimpressive PvE with the static mobs that do not pursue or aggro, to a chaotic PvP where there is little indication what happens to your character, I found the game to be unexciting.
    The animations are choppy and uninspired, the effects are lacking, the environments seem flat. The quests are boring. Very,  very boring. Now I know this is supposed to be a PvP game, but as long as one needs to level up, PvE matters.
    As for PvP we have dominated and were dominated in many scenarios, yet I can't pinpoint what was that won or lost each game. I can't tell if someone is attacking me, what class the opponent is etc. Now I admit I can't clearly identify what it is about combat that I don't like. It just does not feel right. The Tome of Knowledge is a huge and messy user manual. We all know how much people like reading manuals.
     Public Quest are an overrated mess. You never know how many people are doing them, there is no sense of accomplishment, no sense of danger or failure, just point and hack-hack-hack. All of the PQs are simply a rehash of the Island of Quel Danas from WoW. My most hated region, grind with lipstick.
     It is a letdown. Nuff said.

I'm the total opposite I find the game refreshing and heart pounding fun. However, I do have good taste in games that could be the difference we have in opinon.

-----------------------
    ...I'm in your panties

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

some ppl just suck at playing mmo, locked.

• jestermejesterme Member Posts: 37

the sparkle is starting to fade, and the dog poo comes.....and its not even out of beta yet, ooohhh wellllll,.......

• iCehiCeh Member UncommonPosts: 884

I Start chasing a guy, he's running away, ...
    run run run,
    whoops he has two friends now, ok, lemme run back home...
    run-run-run now they are chasing me ...
    I get close to my base, there is a group a four there, whoa, let's kill those mofos that were chasing me,
    whaaaat now they are again on the run
    run run run
    look they are now five but two of ours dropped off somewhere
    run back run-run-run (sometimes it is advantageous to get killed as you can travel faster that way)

anyhow, that is my last post on this subject, I tried the game because I saw it hyped a lot. As always, and I should have known better, the hype is not nearly close to the actual value of the product.

Sounds to me like you just need some friends. You should also try fighting against odds, 3v5? Pfft! Fighting against odds can be fun and much more rewarding if you win. If you lose, big deal chances were in their favour anyway.

P.S Can I have your Beta account?

-iCeh

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

Originally posted by Dreadlich

Could it be that you possibly, maybe, perhaps might not fully understand what's going on because it's new to you? It's ok to say you don't know wtf is going on.
    This isn't WOW PvP, teamwork matters and cluelessly running around spamming your abilities at random people will get your side pwned by any group of enemies that halfway know what they're doing.

True. I do not know what is going on. But that could be the game's fault as well. For every flaw in any game one can find an elitist who'll that says it makes perfect sense to them, but that does not change the fact that the game could do a lot better job informing the player.

BTW: Are you trying to say that in other MMOS (i.e. WoW) an organized group will not roll over a pickup group? I think teamwork matters a lot in just about any game.

The hope that somehow WAR PvP will be great once people start to better organize may be overly optimistic. As soon as people start to better undersand the game mechanics and begin to organize they will start picking fights that they are 100% sure that they will win.

Nice how you took out my honest suggestion to reinforce your argument that I was being elitist. If you haven't played this type of game (see my list of played, DAoC is the only one that compares), then it can be confusing. People have heard WAR = WOW so much that they seem to be trying to play it like WOW. It's not just you.

Seriously, take a step back when you see fights going on and see what's happening. If you don't know how things are working or who's who or even who's winning or why then I'm not kidding that you or anyone in your situation should take a step back and figure those things out. That's more important than any contribution anything on your hotbar can make.

It's not just you. There's a lot of people running around in PvP that don't get it. Get a group and a purpose. Solo PvPers are going to be frustrated. It's possible to play solo, but it's not what RvR is made for and it doesn't lend itself well to lone wolves.

It's not as simple as world PvP WOW style. Either people like you will get it and get on board or you'll complain for a time and quit. It's up to you and it's your own taste and opinion.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

• 123123456202123123456202 Member Posts: 272

from all your posts it almost sounds like you were never in beta and just made that up hint hint "Now I know this is supposed to be a PvP game, but as long as one needs to level up, PvE matters."

• UrrellesUrrelles Member Posts: 574

I think the OP (and the people who agree with him) have a point.  My experience from DAOc and looking at the WAR videos, I can see some of this stuff stated.

Right now the enemy NPCs are retards.  PvE looks like asian MMO.  Tons of fodder to grind, and no challenge.  Hopefully they will patch the enemy AI before launch. 

PvP is going to be chaotic.  You will not wkno what hit you especially now because you don't know the classes.  WoW was the same way till the Burning Crusade, when they added a bunch more spell effects for debuffs and buffs.  This game will need lots of time to add in more spell effects so that players will know what is hitting them.

It looks like the combat is a little too slow.  Hopefully this will be sped up also. 

Animations by Mythic are always stiff.  They suck at making humanoid characters apparently. But damn they can model the hell out of a tree; just look at DAOC.

I disagree with character uniqueness.  It is open beta, so players are not focused on customizing their characters.  All armor is dyable.  so if the armo all looks alike, the players can still color it to their liking.  Sa far, each class has a nice progression of armor that is fairly different from the other.  Identifying classes should be easy since all the classes specialize in 1 or 2 weapons and have a distinct look to them.

At worst, this game will be like Guild Wars of CoH.  Both games I don't play much because of boredom, but the time I do play them is awesome. 

My only true concern right now is having a complete feeling smooth game with few bugs.  If the game has few bugs on launch, then that means Mythic can focus on expanding all that content, making new zones, and upgrading enemy AI.  After 6 months the game will be clean and many of the things complained about now will be adressed.  After a year, the game could be as polished as WoW, and just as addicting.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

The funny thing is, most of the post in this thread.  Most of the people commenting here, seem to lack even the slightest bit of maturity.  He gave his opinion of the game, what "HE" thought about it.  No one cares if you think he is wrong.  Whether you agree or disagree with him is irrelevant, and most of the post here.   Just reinforce my opinion that most of you are too <explicit><noun>. 

To the OP.  I agree with your opinion to an extent.  KoS got about 75 Guild Beta keys a while back before the whole launch announcement.  Alot of them found it underwhelming as well.  I myself always regretted giving away the keys I got from the gamework shop event I went to.  After actually playing the game, I wasn't so regretful about it.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Originally posted by Honeymoon69

And some just sucks at being fanboys

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905
    Originally posted by Aguitha

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

And some just sucks at being fanboys

LOCKED, PLEASE

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Starting with an unimpressive PvE with the static mobs that do not pursue or aggro, to a chaotic PvP where there is little indication what happens to your character

I stopped reading after this first sentence because they are all lies.

• verndvernd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Roin

The funny thing is, most of the post in this thread.  Most of the people commenting here, seem to lack even the slightest bit of maturity.  He gave his opinion of the game, what "HE" thought about it.  No one cares if you think he is wrong.  Whether you agree or disagree with him is irrelevant, and most of the post here.   Just reinforce my opinion that most of you are too <explicit><noun>. 
    To the OP.  I agree with your opinion to an extent.

what

no one cares, whether you agree or disagree with him is irrelevant

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Actually, to give a fair and mature response, I too, logging on with all the mad "this is going to be the best game ever" hype in my head, was also somewhat underwhelmed by the game.

However, as I played through it, logged off, logged back on, played some more and begin to explore the game more, I realised that its actually great fun. It cuts out all of the crap people who have played MMOs for 10 years have got bored of (the time sinks, the gear centric, the need to search for people for hours just to do anything etc) and replaces them with some innovative systems that just keep the whole game moving at a fast pace, throwing you straight into any action or story you want to do, and keeping you on a level par with the opposing side.

Have some great fun in there so far, and am now eagerly looking forward to launch day!

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• ProtuniaProtunia Member Posts: 111

Starting with an unimpressive PvE with the static mobs that do not pursue or aggro, to a chaotic PvP where there is little indication what happens to your character, I found the game to be unexciting.
    The animations are choppy and uninspired, the effects are lacking, the environments seem flat. The quests are boring. Very,  very boring. Now I know this is supposed to be a PvP game, but as long as one needs to level up, PvE matters.
    As for PvP we have dominated and were dominated in many scenarios, yet I can't pinpoint what was that won or lost each game. I can't tell if someone is attacking me, what class the opponent is etc. Now I admit I can't clearly identify what it is about combat that I don't like. It just does not feel right. The Tome of Knowledge is a huge and messy user manual. We all know how much people like reading manuals.
     Public Quest are an overrated mess. You never know how many people are doing them, there is no sense of accomplishment, no sense of danger or failure, just point and hack-hack-hack. All of the PQs are simply a rehash of the Island of Quel Danas from WoW. My most hated region, grind with lipstick.
     It is a letdown. Nuff said.

Do you think once the game gets out of BETA and released in a couple weeks it will offer more?