Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The culture problem. (rudeness towards players, etc)

Comments

• pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233

If they're repeating themselves, it might be because they don't think they're being heard, or because they believe strongly in their opinions.

• apsendplayerapsendplayer Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by pstruth

Plenty of times on this forum, I've claimed that there's a culture problem among the developers of PS.  At the least, it's a rudeness problem.  At the most, it's dissent among the ranks.  The leadership (Xillix, for example) has really cleaned their act up.  While I'm not happy with everything that happens, they're being much better models for those who they have supervision over.  They've made a serious attempt to improve relations between the developers and the Planeshift community, as well as the player communities outside of Planeshift such as those of us on mmorpg.com.
    But they're still not there yet.  Not until the rest of the team falls in line.  PS developers:  Please, if you don't know the right thing to say in a given situation, at least exercises enough self-control to be quiet and let your bosses say what needs to be said.
    Plenty of times I've claimed that there's a problem.  Plenty of times, people have denied that any problem exists.  At one point, I went to the official PS forum and dug up many quotes of developers being unduly rude and inappropriate.  Recently, I chanced to find another whooper.
    A player gave a critique of the game.  This is a series of replies that followed:
    Xillix: "We have heard all of this before, join the team, break the cycle."
    A player's response (Mathy): "If you have heard it all before isn't your job to break the cycle Xillix? Or a better question should be if you have heard it all before why haven't you done anything about it?"
    A settings dev responded, quoting in his post only the last 7 words of Mathy's post.
    Settings dev:  "This makes me want to go right to your house and slap you in the face. You have NO idea what Xillix has done in the last two years. None. Xillix himself has turned the rusty and empty Settings Department into a working machine. He has helped push forward features that players have been asking for for years. He is the only reason I and most others in Settings are on the team. He is the reason there are close to 300 quests in the game, the BF area exists, more rewards are given in quests and for loot, more Settings themed events go on on a large scale, more books are ingame (and MANY more on the way), and many many more things I don't know about.

In just how many places do you feel justified bashing the Dev team of PS? 

For those who don't go through forums but follow links...  Here:

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/166175/page/7

and

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/173971

and let's not forget....

Originally posted by pstruth at: www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2256586#2256586

"There are drama queens on both sides imo."

I think you just answered your own question. :)

I think you just answered your own question. :)

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/2259726/thread/166175#2259726

So who exactly is offending whom?

I would not want to refer to anyone as being slight hypocritical in their words so I won't say that at all, but perhaps you should be looking at your own actions before you go claiming that the Devs at PS are this or that.

What is it your own actions are saying about you sir?

You've already answered your own question, so why are you asking it again? :)

Well played then 'M'.  Well played.

You did what you set out to do very well.  I applaud you and your efforts.

• AraroyigeAraroyige Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by apsendplayer

Well played then 'M'.  Well played.

You did what you set out to do very well.  I applaud you and your efforts.

All that PStruth has done is acting like a stubborn little kid.  Is that what he set out to do?

Personal attacks and sweeping generalizations are classy. :)

• AraroyigeAraroyige Member Posts: 17

You're right, I should be above that.  I'm sorry,  Hope you aren't offended.

• homikhomik Member Posts: 2

Dear lords, do you people even listen (read, in this case) to yourselves? Your conversations take me back to the days of children squabling on the school yard. The only difference is you have access to "bigger words."  Everything is along the lines of "person x told me person y was mean to me", where person y then responds "but person x is an idiot."

I honestly don't know who to blame, but to be perfectly honest, i don't care. Everyone at some level is at fault.

So maybe some devs were moody and had a shorter fuse than normal, but hey, shit happens.

And maybe thats not the case. Maybe in fact person y was a phenominal moron that couldn't wipe his own ass for his life. What i don't see is why they must round a muck in these forums crying about how someone didn't want to play patty cake with them. This is by no means constructive, and frankly it ruins everything for current and prospective players.

As for those prospective players, don't pay attention to any of these threads. As far as i can tell its just a bunch of babies having a hissy fight. Let them duke it out and perhaps it will blow over. If you're looking for a good time and have the brain capacity to beat a chimp at a chess game, then this game certainly fits that bill. If you don't and you are currently living in a cage then perhaps this is not for you, or atleast learn to read so you can read the rules, which are posted just about everywhere and you would have to be blind not to find them. Reading these magical rules prevent unnecisary confrontations such as this and make for an extremely pleasant game experience, and *gasp* you might actually get along with the devs!

As for the rest of you. Christ all mighty, get a grip! ok, we get it, sosomeone was mean to you. whether you deserved it or not, it doesn't matter. DO NOT RUIN IT FOR OTHER PEOPLE. PERIOD.

It's funny that you're telling others to learn how to read, when you don't even understand the thread you're posting in.  This is what happened:

Person P:  Person U was wrong to be mean to person M.

Person U:  Person M deserved it for X reasons!

Person A:  Person U speaks da truth.

Person P:  I don't see the proof.

Person M has not posted on this forum, ever, to my knowledge.

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99

*shrugs*

You want proof? I'll send you the IRC logs in a few days when I have the time. Of course, you will no doubt question the validity of the logs, hell bent as you are on proving yourself right at all costs. But if you do, you would be calling me a liar, and your opinion will mean nothing to myself or anyone who knows me. I'll also link you to her 'woe is me' posts, since you missed them. I don't know if any of 'M's (to go with the flow) posts were deleted on the forum, but I would not doubt it.

A thought for you consideration: A lot of Devs are rude because of you directly. Your posts are so full of assumed bull that I have seen more than one Dev just write players off completely after reading a few. You have personally helped make the situation worse. That does not apply to me, as you can see by all of my other posts on the PS forum (none of which have been deleted). I have no rudeness problem. 'M' was a special case, and I do not take back or apologize. My father taught me to be honest in all things, including never saying you are sorry if you do not mean it. That, also, is a lie.

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.

Originally posted by UtMoon

*shrugs*
    You want proof? I'll send you the IRC logs in a few days when I have the time.

UtMoon, you don't have to.  I'm sure 'M' already has them (all that person has to do is figure out how to get to them.)

(This post was edited to correct the spelling in UtMoon's name.  Sry bout that.)

Actually, I wouldn't question the validity of the log, if what I think is so important to you.

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99

pstruth is not Mathy. His writing is too intelligent and he is not self-depreciating enough. If he was, these conversations would go more like:

"Look at all the problems the devs cause and nobody listens to me. The Devs are so mean."

<ensuing argument>

"Please stop talking about it now. I did not mean to cause any trouble. It is all my fault. I am sorry everyone hates me. I can see I am not wanted here."

-In PMs after that to all the people that argued with her:

"I am older than you and by default that makes me more mature. You need to treat me with more respect and listen to what I say because I have earned it. If you do not agree with me, it is because you hate me."

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.

Originally posted by UtMoon

pstruth is not Mathy. His writing is too intelligent and he is not self-depreciating enough. If he was, these conversations would go more like:(...)

Yeah I'm not so sure...  they sure do sound alike.  If it's not Mathy, then why did he/she post the link to this site?  You gotta wonder.

I actually have logs of Mathy chatting quite intelligently; actually quite like pstruth here...  He/she definitely  knows how to "play" the woe is me card as pstruth is now starting to do with the whole, "let's have a do over" thing.

(Excuse me pstruth, I'm sorry, you called it a forum wipe er...  I mean...  forum flush...  I stand corrected.)

It wouldn't be a do over.  I don't expect you to ever forgive me.

It wouldn't be a do over.  I don't expect you to ever forgive me.

yeah...  your right UtMoon, too intelligent to be Mathy.  (no I'm not being sarcastic).

pstruth redirects too well and can pick up on this too quickly.  He's way too eager to put the blame on the person he was trying to protect in another thread.

I'll let you handle him/her.  I'm out.

I'm not mathy.  I'm spelly.

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

I've found UtM and the other devs and members of the community to be extremely nice, though stressed. Give them a freaking break.

• NagorlNagorl Member Posts: 7

Yeah, the Devs are pretty nice, especially the gms. I love the cool events, a friend of mine has three staves and a holy helmet, that looks so cool. The devs do a lot, especially to fix all those annoying bugs -.-.

• MathyMathy Member Posts: 2

After reading this thread many times, I concluded that since my posts and thread contributions to the PlaneShift's forum are the main excuse to bring up the so called “culture problem”, I’m entitled to say a few words to all of you:

I understand that many of my posts on the PS forums did not fall on good soil… I don’t apologize for those… But it could be wiser to send me a PM about it. Perhaps spending fewer of your sacred minutes to let me know if I’m annoying or if in your opinion my comments, posts, threads or contributions are out of context, dramatic, useless... or simply flat stupid.

I can hardly believe all the effort to build this thread by responding to each other about something most have no clue about. Yes, you speculate! About many things! But in this case, it’s not only about how you all think the PS staff carries on the situations, or how things should be run or managed, or what kind of cliché is in place to answer politely. It’s also about how I feel when I get responses both here and there.

Well, here it goes: Yes, you have the right to use my public posts on your public forum. No, you’re not entitled to put any words in my mouth or any implicit idea of how I feel when I get such responses. I’ve never looked at them on that perspective, but now that you’ve enlightened my sight, I’m awake enough to tell you all that it could have been rush, defiant,  or perhaps even degrading. But you should ask yourself if you know so much about how I felt, Why does this thread made me feel worse than all the answers and critic posts I’ve got in PS forums altogether?

If you had the time and courage to do all this, go ahead and seek for my first reaction to this thread. Hint: It’s on the PS forums. You know them very well as even I can tell!.

I simply can’t understand how is it possible that the way I post reveals the quality of player I am on PlaneShift. I still consider myself an average player... You guys just completed the sentence: I’m an average player and a stupid poster. So stupid, that you all felt comfortable echoing things I’ve never said, feelings I truly never sensed, then put them aside and continue with your rusted confrontation.

Some of you have evolved to become polite or the opposite to “Vocal, loud, and self-righteous players…” But if this thread is the result of it, I rather stay in my cave. I used to think that credibility emanated from words, not from faces. You just made me feel absolutely sure of it!. Seems that I have to qualify as the average player of your taste so my sayings be considered as useful.

I’ve been reading other threads in here. It seems that you’ve been having the hell of a ride with each other. I just wish to ask you to let me out of it. I don’t know how to ask for this (and I truly don’t want to), but if any of you have a clue of how I feel, or is wise enough to judge my “averaginess”, or simply understand that this thread really adds nothing constructive at all, please delete it or ask someone who can to do it!

The tongue has no bones, but it can break bones.

Mathy, your first response has always been to play the wounded character which you do so well because it's exactly how you've responded to suggestions and critiques in the past.  People give you praise with a hint of a suggestion and your first response is that they hate you and you run and hide.

Trying to play that game here and now won't prove to anyone who has the IRC logs, or can search the posts, or talk to the people you've recently dealt with. 

Even your own words from the message above:

Quoted from Mathy above:

"I can hardly believe all the effort to build this thread by responding to each other about something most have no clue about. Yes, you speculate! About many things! But in this case, it’s not only about how you all think the PS staff carries on the situations, or how things should be run or managed, or what kind of cliché is in place to answer politely. It’s also about how I feel when I get responses both here and there."

End quote:

You just proved my point in that one paragraph.  You even go so far as to attack back, but then withdraw as if you've already been hurt by a response.

And yet you continue your vanity thinking this post is about you!!!  You were only the subject of the real issue which is the way in which the psdevs supposedly maltreat people (which is the farthest thing from the truth).

Yes we strayed from that at the end...  for that I am sorry.  We Digressed.  We are as human and frail as you are.  Get over it.

Go back to your hovel and play the wounded character.  Don't think about how you've TREATED people or MISREAD what someone else has posted or how you have MISREPRESENTED what someone else was thinking or feeling.  STOP BEING A GOD-DAMNED HYPOCRIT.

While we're at it, why did you even post the link in the PS Forums if you didn't want the attention drawn to you.  You do these things on purpose Mathy.  You want the attention on you so you can play the wounded soul and get pity from everyone else.  Please don't tell us otherwise.  You've done it before, and you'll do it again no matter which new name you chose for yourself.  It's your nature.

The final proof is the way in which you posted that last message here.  In fact, its that you even made that post to begin with. You worded it so that we'd have to respond when we found your post.  It's what you do.. It's typical Mathy.

And why make it so hard to read Mathy?  You could have stayed with the normal font and color, but instead you purposly chose to use an obscure color and font so that others would have to really really look at your post to be able to read it.

Well Kiddo, (and I understand you are no kid in real life) ya done good!  You got what you wanted.  You set yourself up for yet another major downfall.  Let's hope you enjoy this one as much as you do the other.

• MathyMathy Member Posts: 2

This is what this reminds me of:

Little Joey and Little Mikey go the playground. At first they play together on the swings together happliy. Then they get bored so they find a ball to play with. Then Mikey throws the ball to Joey and he misses it. After running to get it to throw it back to Joey, Joey says, "No don't throw it like that. That is how a girl does it." This hurts Mikey's feeling so he hits Joey saying, "I am not a girl." Then the fight begins until one little boy calls out, "Mommy!" The mommies come around and ask what happened. Both little boys say, "He hit me!" The mommies smile at each other knowing a nice day at the playground has just ended.

So before I take my ball and go home, I have something to say. When I first start playing in this playground of Planeshift I loved it. There were so many people who befriended me. As time went by I noticed how many of my friends had left and it did sadden me. So there I was looking out over the playground only seeing new people. I thought to explore as to why so many left. Maybe it was just me thinking things had changed enough to make people leave. Slowly I came to realize that it was not just me. Many people were getting discouraged and they were taking their balls home to play. Again maybe it was a crusade of mine to find why our little playground was not good enough for all my friends and many others as well.

This so-called 'crusade' to maybe make things better got me in hot water, shall we say. Many did not like what I had to say. So the insults started to fly my way. I thought I was doing a good thing. Instead it made what I doing seem wrong. Many of my friends supported me in what I was trying to do so the insults did not stop me. Now I must stand back and reconsider my stand. This was a great place to play until Joey and Mikey started to fight and had to go home.

So Mom is calling me. "Mathy were are you? This is not a nice place to play anymore." I just look up at Mom and say, "Why?"

The tongue has no bones, but it can break bones.

Originally posted by Mathy

This is what this reminds me of:

Little Joey and Little Mikey go the playground. At first they play together on the swings together happliy. Then they get bored so they find a ball to play with. Then Mikey throws the ball to Joey and he misses it. After running to get it to throw it back to Joey, Joey says, "No don't throw it like that. That is how a girl does it." This hurts Mikey's feeling so he hits Joey saying, "I am not a girl." Then the fight begins until one little boy calls out, "Mommy!" The mommies come around and ask what happened. Both little boys say, "He hit me!" The mommies smile at each other knowing a nice day at the playground has just ended.

So before I take my ball and go home, I have something to say. When I first start playing in this playground of Planeshift I loved it. There were so many people who befriended me. As time went by I noticed how many of my friends had left and it did sadden me. So there I was looking out over the playground only seeing new people. I thought to explore as to why so many left. Maybe it was just me thinking things had changed enough to make people leave. Slowly I came to realize that it was not just me. Many people were getting discouraged and they were taking their balls home to play. Again maybe it was a crusade of mine to find why our little playground was not good enough for all my friends and many others as well.

This so-called 'crusade' to maybe make things better got me in hot water, shall we say. Many did not like what I had to say. So the insults started to fly my way. I thought I was doing a good thing. Instead it made what I doing seem wrong. Many of my friends supported me in what I was trying to do so the insults did not stop me. Now I must stand back and reconsider my stand. This was a great place to play until Joey and Mikey started to fight and had to go home.

So Mom is calling me. "Mathy were are you? This is not a nice place to play anymore." I just look up at Mom and say, "Why?"

I rest my case.  You have presented it for me without even realizing it I'm sure.

Your vanity and hypocrisy run deep as does your martyr complex, but what most people don't realize is how controlling that is.  You often turn things around, as you've done above, so that you feel in total control.  You were in control when you posted the link to these forums, you were in control when you pushed people's feelings aside for your own, and you are trying to take control now by avoiding the real issue of the Mods supposed maltreatment of people.  Heck, you didn't even acknowledge the apology from my post.  That only goes to prove your particular brand of shallowness. (Notice I didn't say you had to accept, but you completely ignored it as if it didn't exist.  It's psychological trait that only people like you exhibit.)

You need to look seriously in the mirror sir/miss/whatever or find some professional help.  There are many out there who can assist you and take low income assistance.  I've recently been given some e-mails that really tell your story well, especially how quickly you can turn on someone.  The odd thing is that person still thinks they did you a great disservice.   I don't know why that person insists on treating you fairly and I am really tempted to show that person some of the irc logs from some of your 'chats' or show them just how low you can stoop. 

But that's not why I am here. And I apologize for letting you take me there.

All I have to say on this subject is...  Get over yourself please!!!! and let this thread die!

However, I know you will post again, and keep it up, and keep this thing going and going and going.

Good luck with your life or what ever you have left of it.  If you are this way in real life, then I truly pity you.  You must be a miserable person to be around.

Oh...  and this thread was never a nice place for you to play and you knew that before you even posted.  This thread was bashing you to begin with so why post?  Could it be part of that Woe-Is-Me syndrome?  hmmmm....  Go back to Mommy.  Perhaps she can show you where you should be playing.

I will not be back Mathy, so you want the last word (woe-is-me, poor-me)...  Go for it.