Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Square's new MMO

Shin-RaShin-Ra Member Posts: 82

Hey guys,

Just thought it would be interesting to see what  your thinking about the next MMO by square-enix. They are definatly gonna make one due to the huge success of FFXI, plus for us loyal fans hehe, and it may already be in the pipeline. 

What do you guys think there gonna do? Or what would you like to see?

I would like to see a PC release only and not for consoles as i feel they limit the games abilities, also would like to see a bit more pvp action in the new one, although i love leveling in parties hehe. Naturally i want to keep it true to final fantasy such as them cute little moogles and chocobos, I would love to see an evil moogle lol.

Comments

• ipod80gbipod80gb Member Posts: 90

Its called "Rapture", u can read about it in Wiki. Square has not confirmed it will be a sequel to FFXi, but it didnt deny it either.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

FFXI hasn't been far from a huge success. There are a lot of things SE did wrong with FFXI and we are seeing that they are fixing some of them. We can only hope the rest of those sins are fixed with the new MMO. For what it is, it is a solid game and i enjoy it very much, but it could have been better.

The new MMO is going to be developed for the PS3 and Windows Vista they have already come out and said it. Honestly I think developing for Vista is something that could hold the next one back. What could happen (and would ultimately lead to the game being very bad) is they could also decide to develop it for the 360. Honestly what the PS3 can do is far better than what the 360 can do. Games are starting to show that and the gap is only going to get larger.

One of the best (and frankly most damning) things that SE did with FFXI was give it a common denominator.  It is great (and royaly sucks) that they deicded to make the game to the PS2 standards so that everyone can expereince the same game. The only reason this is bad is because the 360 and PC is so much stronger that they game could be that much better if the PS2 was eliminated from the equation -- this is where your argument for the one platform release comes from. Honestly the thing I really sucks is they also made the game to run off a dial up connection. You can run FFXI with (and with pretty good performace) on a 56k modem. The thing I hate about it is that my cable and DSL connections going into FFXI almost bottleneck so I get the same lag when I am around 100+ people as someone n dial up would get. It is annoying to say the least, but it does level the playing field which i have to commend SE for doing. ... now develop a game that uses at least a DSL connection plz.

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by ic0n67

FFXI hasn't been far from a huge success. There are a lot of things SE did wrong with FFXI and we are seeing that they are fixing some of them. We can only hope the rest of those sins are fixed with the new MMO. For what it is, it is a solid game and i enjoy it very much, but it could have been better.
    The new MMO is going to be developed for the PS3 and Windows Vista they have already come out and said it. Honestly I think developing for Vista is something that could hold the next one back. What could happen (and would ultimately lead to the game being very bad) is they could also decide to develop it for the 360. Honestly what the PS3 can do is far better than what the 360 can do. Games are starting to show that and the gap is only going to get larger.
    One of the best (and frankly most damning) things that SE did with FFXI was give it a common denominator.  It is great (and royaly sucks) that they deicded to make the game to the PS2 standards so that everyone can expereince the same game. The only reason this is bad is because the 360 and PC is so much stronger that they game could be that much better if the PS2 was eliminated from the equation -- this is where your argument for the one platform release comes from. Honestly the thing I really sucks is they also made the game to run off a dial up connection. You can run FFXI with (and with pretty good performace) on a 56k modem. The thing I hate about it is that my cable and DSL connections going into FFXI almost bottleneck so I get the same lag when I am around 100+ people as someone n dial up would get. It is annoying to say the least, but it does level the playing field which i have to commend SE for doing. ... now develop a game that uses at least a DSL connection plz.

You do know that they developed it on the PS2 for the Japanese Market? There are MILLIONS of Japanese PS2 owners, and SE had a huge hit when it released in Japan in 2002. I doubt they regret it one bit. It was ported over to the NA market AFTER Japan.

• DiamedesDiamedes Member Posts: 70

And you need to get your facts straight about the 360 and PS3, 360 has a better graphics card made by ATI than the PS3's Nvidia chip which anyone who knows anything about computers will tell you is the most important part of a system. They also have the same amount of RAM but the PS3's is split between graphics and the CPU so its a little harder to work with.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

One of the best (and frankly most damning) things that SE did with FFXI was give it a common denominator.  It is great (and royaly sucks) that they deicded to make the game to the PS2 standards so that everyone can expereince the same game.

I'll respect your opinion but..

I played FFXI when it first launched in the US aka was made into a PC version.

I found the game to be one of the better made on the market.

It looked good and had the best control system imho I've ever seen in an MMO.  In fact I wish I could use a PC gamepad in more MMO's.

The only reason I quit or complaint I might have had was... the boring ass grind to do anything.  Also when I joined the game we were on a pre-existing server and most people either didn't or refused to speak english so it was very hard to start groups for a while.

When they offered us a split the people I knew moved to a new server and things were easier.

The main weakness imho of FFXI is the core game play was built on something the asian market enjoys... aka co-operative game play.  When they tried to sell it in the west... aka the US etc.. This clashed with the American anti co-operative play style (on average that is the western market... more competitive than co-op).

Anyway that's my opinion...

• SquirlmasterSquirlmaster Member Posts: 57

I really did hate the fact that they made the game for the PS2, which limited the FPS on my PC so it couldn't reach it's full potential. But, the positives for Square far outweighed that annoying problem. What I would really like to see in their next MMO is the uniqueness that FFXI brought tot he MMORPG genre. You can look at other popular games such as WoW / LOTRO / WAR and see the many similarities the share(not a bad thing). But when you look at a screenshot of FFXI you can instantly tell it's something different. The gameplay was completely unique and required a different touch then other MMOs. I really felt this game grabbed me by being more of a "thinking" game then a hack and slash button spammer. Thats just my two cents and I hope Square's next MMO willl be at least as successful and fun as FFXI. Also, I hope they don't cater to the western style of gameplay(the only reason would be for the money) as I'm sure myself and others enjoy the way the japanese portray their games. Thats why millions of people have played games from the Final Fantasy series over the years. Square targetted Japanese and got western players that enjoyed the same genre as a by-product.

currently playing: FFXI
    Waiting for FFXIV to be updated more.

• mezlabormezlabor Member Posts: 133

I hope its a new FF mmo. and I hope its not as tedious, frustrating and grindy as ffxi. I playd ffxi for a bit but the game was just so frustrating. I woudl love to play another FF mmo tho that remedied some of the intensly frustrating aspets of ffxi.

FFXI had some great ideas. I still think the job class system was the best class system ever in an mmo,

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563

FF14, one can only hope.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by mezlabor

FFXI had some great ideas. I still think the job class system was the best class system ever in an mmo,

It does, I'll agree, but the one major thing that kept me away from this, and makes me consider it a bad MMO is the sheer grind behind it all. Hell, the fact that they develop bosses to last 18 hours on purpose is something that screams one thing to me, "Asians only". Not to be stereotypical or racist, but every case of death by gaming I've heard comes straight from there, and honestly, I cant see how anyone sane can last even a couple of hours fighting the same thing with no change, just boggles the mind for me.

If this next MMO they make isnt the king, or prince, or servant, or jester, or surfs of grinding, and has no insanely long bossfights, I'll be happy. Considering their major base lies in Japan though, I doubt it.

• ErhunErhun Member Posts: 170

They have released a lot about the new mmo.

Here is what I read in one of the articles! I do not have the link for it there are a few other threads one of which has many links to many articles about this game which is where I got this.

They will most likely not release on PS3. They are releasing for PC and 360. PS3 was to much work so they said.

And either way I would get it for PC. Who plays MMO's on a console? really?

• gelarobgelarob Member Posts: 5

I'm really looking forward to a new MMO coming from SE. I sure hope it exceeds my expectations.

• curiindicuriindi Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

Originally posted by mezlabor

It does, I'll agree, but the one major thing that kept me away from this, and makes me consider it a bad MMO is the sheer grind behind it all. Hell, the fact that they develop bosses to last 18 hours on purpose is something that screams one thing to me, "Asians only". Not to be stereotypical or racist, but every case of death by gaming I've heard comes straight from there, and honestly, I cant see how anyone sane can last even a couple of hours fighting the same thing with no change, just boggles the mind for me.

If this next MMO they make isnt the king, or prince, or servant, or jester, or surfs of grinding, and has no insanely long bossfights, I'll be happy. Considering their major base lies in Japan though, I doubt it.

FFXI to me does have a grind to it, but it's the type that I like more than in L2 for example. Personally, I find more similarities between FFXI and EQ than FFXI and other "Asian" MMOs. Could it be possible that the 18-hour boss fight was due to tenacious players not able to kill the boss and not willing to call it a night?

I don't think I'll find much sense of accomplishment in the next MMO if it's grind-free and has only bosses that die quickly. If their next MMO meets your boss/grind expectations, how long do you think you'll subscribe to it?

• segynsegyn Member Posts: 234

it isn't a ffxii game i listen to one mog podcast and they saw some of what they have for the game it is going to be a diffrent IP and it looks a lot like the consol final fantasy games. Where you can't see the mobs and you walk around and than you just appear in battle. That is all the info mog podcast gave on the new se mmo. 

Originally posted by segyn

it isn't a ffxii game i listen to one mog podcast and they saw some of what they have for the game it is going to be a diffrent IP and it looks a lot like the consol final fantasy games. Where you can't see the mobs and you walk around and than you just appear in battle. That is all the info mog podcast gave on the new se mmo. 

I think what you're referring to is Concerto Gate.

Originally posted by curiindi

Originally posted by segyn

I think what you're referring to is Concerto Gate.

i think so too. Theres a very high chance Rapture is going to be Final Fantasy based. FFXI has alrdy 4 expansions, and SE is focusing on how to improve the game as a whole - Level Syncing coming soon.

• sa1yamansa1yaman Member Posts: 272

IMO they can't afford to NOT set it in Final Fantasy universe. Final Fantasy in name will alone draw attention (as with FFXI). That said, gameplay may be completely different from FFXI. SE claimed they want it to co-exist with FFXI and too similar game would be competing with it instead.

I have high hopes for it, because FFXi was quite good as first SE attempt on MMO.

Anyway  we just have to wait and see.

Taken from Wiki:

Rapture (?????, Rapture?) is the code name of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) currently in development by Square Enix with a tentative release date of Q4 2009.

• letum6030letum6030 Member Posts: 206

I think their best bet for a new MMO would be to use the world of Secret of Mana.  There would be the 8 different magic classes, 8 different weapon specializations, flying mounts, and a beautiful world.  It could be set during the Mana War when the Mana Fortress was being constructed.  The Mana Sword wouldn't be obtainable because the Gema Knight had it in his posession and was using it to destroy the Mana Fortress.  There would be several playable races.  Players could be human, sprites, dwarves or werewolves.  The combat would have to be something other than the current MMO style combat to fit the style of the game.

Originally posted by letum6030

I think their best bet for a new MMO would be to use the world of Secret of Mana.  There would be the 8 different magic classes, 8 different weapon specializations, flying mounts, and a beautiful world.  It could be set during the Mana War when the Mana Fortress was being constructed.  The Mana Sword wouldn't be obtainable because the Gema Knight had it in his posession and was using it to destroy the Mana Fortress.  There would be several playable races.  Players could be human, sprites, dwarves or werewolves.  The combat would have to be something other than the current MMO style combat to fit the style of the game.

I thought about this for a while, but it seems like recent Mana titles have not been too successful. Secret of Mana was great, though!

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

the game came out 7 years ago...graphics are amazing for a 7 year old game.

and it has 500k active subs....how is that a flop?

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• johnnyboy666johnnyboy666 Member Posts: 80

"the game came out 7 years ago...graphics are amazing for a 7 year old game.

and it has 500k active subs....how is that a flop?"

I have to agree with this. C'mon, why mess up with a formula that still works? 

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Subjectively to you, perhaps, it's not a success.

However, if you want to speak objectively, then FFXI has been a success. 500-600k players consistently for years running despite the competition and the ever more finicky nature of MMO players. It is, population-wise, one of the most successful MMOs out there - especially given its age. Last I heard, it was #4 most popular MMO out there... again, in terms of population.

500-600k players multiplied by at least $13/mnth translates into a lot of money. At the low end, they're bringing in 6.5 million a *month* in sub fees alone.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

I have been dying for info on this new MMO. I played FFXI for 4 years and loved it while I did but moved on. Been playing WoW but its getting stale to me and I don't think WoTLK will be the fresh air I need to keep interest in it. FFXI is such a deep mmo you feel a real connection to the world and community, I havn't gotten in any mmo since I quit. I don't want to restart FFXI from square 1 this late in the games life, and after having played WoW and a lot of other mmos, the responsiveness and controls in XI leaves a lot to be desired. I really think square is the only company not afraid to not make a WoW clone. The whole genre right now seems a bit stale. AoC was crap and WAR to me is ok, but it seems kind of shallow like WoW, to me anyway. Nothing has matched XIs depth. Aion seems interesting enough but we'll see.

I hope in the new MMO they make it challenging like FFXI and able to switch classes on the same character, I always loved that. I'm sure Square will have learned from their mistakes from XI, and I think their new one will end up being a real contender and be second only to WoW. I wish they just not keep us in the dark about it, although I don't remember ever hearing about FFXI till it was actually out, thought at the time I didn't even know what an mmorpg was heh. This new one they been working on since 2005 I believe it was? Hopefully when we do hear some info and demo videos/screenshots it won't be to far off.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Square has too many things going on ,making games for every platform[mobiles] under the sun .They also spent a lot of resources making The Last Remnant,since they purchsed the unreal3 Engine.

My take is that FFXI will have to show signs of dying and or they have exhausted there other platform efforts,before they go full swing on another MMORPG.

The little i have read on a new MMO over the last several years is not much.Some interviews asked about it and how it would coincide with FFXI.They basically said they did not want to alienate players from either game and that they might branch into each other.This may mean you might be taking some of your FFXI game/players with you into a new game,IDK and i don't think they know yet either.

The other part i heard about this game is on the engine.This part i didn't like what i saw in the interviews.They basically said the new game would still utilize the old engine because they understood it and it was easy to use and add things into there game.The problem i have is it's VERY limited.

I think Square is being very cautious on this one as we have seen many games struggle,especially since WOW owns what is it?60-65% of the entire market share.It is not a good time for games to compete for the remaining 40%,Square are probably waiting for both FFXI and WOW to slow down.

The bigger WOW gets ,the more NOOBS to the MMORPG genre will follow it.The new players just want to feel like there part of the biggest,most like to brag a lot ,so what better a stage than the biggest right?Since Blizzard and there VERY sneaky sub numbers are now invading other countries, i don't see it slowing down for at least a couple years.

I wouldn't expect Square to compete in this market with another MMORPG until at least 2-3 years,it just wouldn't make good economical sense.Even worse for us FFXI fans is that WOW is trying to invade Japan full swing offering free game discs..bah.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.