Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you sure?

TussTuss Member Posts: 103

This is one of those questions that rise up in my mind whenever I come here:

Are you sure the players are as young as you say they are? Did you ask them or what? How can you be so sure?

Thanks to anyone who takes time to answer my question.

I lost all my dignity a long time ago.

Comments

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

It doesn't matter how young they are, it's how they act.  They act like a bunch of 10 year old kids, and it is obvious some of them are.

RS is filled with young AND immature people, it doesn't matter which, since the community is horrible. 

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124

Well, I know that runescape is played by a wide variety of people of pretty much all ages except for kids who don't know how to use a computer. After playing for 6 years, I think the majority of players tend to be around the ages of 9-16. But I do know that a lot of college students and adults played as well.

However, recently I think most people will agree that there is a trend happening, mostly in part to Jagex, that the older players are leaving and younger and younger players are playing more. So the community, in my opinion, has been getting more younger players 12- and less 13+. But that's my opinion based on my own and a few of my friend's observations. You can kind of tell by the way most players talk and act now.

Compared to other mmorpgs, runescape has one of the more immature communities, but that's just my opinion.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

when I last logged in, I posed the question to a group of players at willows on w126 I think. I asked what is everyones ages here?  these were the answers i was given:

9, 11, 12, 12, 15, 13, 14, 11 10, 8, and suprisingly a guy said "43" .

then the arguements began...one of the the 12 year olds told the 8 year old he was too young to play this and to go play with his tele tubbies, and then the 8 year old said " noob"   and all hell broke loose. so i said " some things never change .. " and i logged out lol. I had done this the day I posted the " do kids like runescape poll". 

I always always always asked players their age before I added them to friends list, because i did not add minors to my list.  Though when I left 90% of my adult friens left as well, so I do know they lost a great percentage of their adult population with the updates last fall. I am happy to hear about them introducing pvp worlds, that sounds great if implemeted properly... now all they need to do to make it playable again is bring back free trade lol.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by deviliscious

when I last logged in, I posed the question to a group of players at willows on w126 I think. I asked what is everyones ages here?  these were the answers i was given:

The 43 year old probably lied.

• dragonlord27dragonlord27 Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by deviliscious

then the arguements began...one of the the 12 year olds told the 8 year old he was too young to play this and to go play with his tele tubbies, and then the 8 year old said " noob"   and all hell broke loose. so i said " some things never change .. " and i logged out lol. I had done this the day I posted the " do kids like runescape poll". 
    I always always always asked players their age before I added them to friends list, because i did not add minors to my list.  Though when I left 90% of my adult friens left as well, so I do know they lost a great percentage of their adult population with the updates last fall. I am happy to hear about them introducing pvp worlds, that sounds great if implemeted properly... now all they need to do to make it playable again is bring back free trade lol.

its funny cause jagex would probably ban you for asking for age. thats how shit their reporting system is as well.

Originally posted by dragonlord27

its funny cause jagex would probably ban you for asking for age. thats how shit their reporting system is as well.

Yea, no kidding. Even though it clearly states in the rules what personal information is and isn't there are so many random noobs that never bother to read that and report anyone who asks them a question lmao!  Then it goes to Jagex and they do not bother reviewing them and just ban people.  You are allowed to ask someones first name, where they are from and how old they are. You are not allowed to ask for somones full name, telepohone number and  address. But you have all these paranoid people that have no clue out there and think if you ask them where they are from they panic.  It is a bit ridiculous lol.  So, if someone says," Hi, I am Amy, and you are?" or " I am from texas where are you from?" or "How old are you?" there is no reason to panic lmao that is how normal people interact with each other.  It is sad how many people on there are lacking common sense and social skills.

• plqxplqx Member Posts: 15

Well, I know that runescape is played by a wide variety of people of pretty much all ages except for kids who don't know how to use a computer. After playing for 6 years, I think the majority of players tend to be around the ages of 9-16. But I do know that a lot of college students and adults played as well.

I would agree with this – but I wouldn’t accept your claim that the community is getting younger – it is more the case that you are getting older. A lot of my good friends started rs aged 10-14 between 3 and 5 years ago.

"I always always always asked players their age before I added them to friends list, because i did not add minors to my list."

I judge people more on their levels of maturity than the age they claim to be.

"The 43 year old probably lied"

My aunt is 49 years old and plays RuneScape. Older players do exist. I would say that it is more likely than not that the person is telling the truth.

WBMs reporting people who haven’t done anything wrong is a problem – if only because it wastes Jagex’s time... Other than educating people about the rules, though, there isn’t much that can be done about that, without damaging the reporting system.

Originally posted by plqx

I would agree with this – but I wouldn’t accept your claim that the community is getting younger – it is more the case that you are getting older. A lot of my good friends started rs aged 10-14 between 3 and 5 years ago.
    Yes, but most of the mature players quit after that long. I played longer than that before i quit. Jagex focuses on getting new players, not keeping them. ANd their focus now is gearing up the game for the childrens market. Since they lifted the 13+ age restriction last june They had a 40% increase in new subscriptions of younger players. The whole reason they are currently focusing the target audience to the under 13 crowd at this time is the sheer number of young kids that play the game. So they figured if they can't beat them .. join them. LOL
    "I always always always asked players their age before I added them to friends list, because i did not add minors to my list."
    I judge people more on their levels of maturity than the age they claim to be.
    Our guild on runescape was 18+ age limit and had around 600 members. We did interviews via web cam so it is preety easy to tell how old they "claimed "to be.  Though almost all of those members quit runescape last fall, so I know they lost many mature players in recent times.
    "The 43 year old probably lied"
    My aunt is 49 years old and plays RuneScape. Older players do exist. I would say that it is more likely than not that the person is telling the truth.
    I too knew mature players on that game as well, but they are few and far between. He could have lied, but usually when people lie about their age on there they say they are"18", "21","99" or 1,000 years old... so Yea I think he was probably telling the truth lol.
    WBMs reporting people who haven’t done anything wrong is a problem – if only because it wastes Jagex’s time... Other than educating people about the rules, though, there isn’t much that can be done about that, without damaging the reporting system.
    Yea there are things that could be done to help this, but it takes time and effort by the developers to actually research the accusations rather than just banning people without further investigation. I  have known many good players over the years that were wrongfully banned, so yes it is possible for anyone to lose their account at any time. I guess that is something players have to decide if it is a risk they feel is worth taking. You can spend years on an account to suddenly log in and have no recourse of ever getting it back, when you did not even break the rule.That is just how it works with Jagex. They claim they investigate every report, but we vets know better than that.  The way Jagex treats their players is a abig part of the problem here, those that know how to abuse the system and get away with it do, and the game loses many good players because of this.

• Jalice888Jalice888 Member CommonPosts: 113

I had a good mix of fellow adults aswell as nice behaved kids on my friends list, the best child is a friend of my nephews and at 10 he always proved even to adults to be more mature and sensible than even them, I had to insist to so many he wasn't an old adult since too many people don't have an open mind to realise that many kids are decent and mature while many adults should get off the game and take a look at themselves for their childish behaviour. Adults looking for online relationships outside their marriage seemed common while the worst I found was a guy that abused kids to make them cry while even using his wifes friends list to find more woman to womanise (I credit him only that he wasn't a juvenial sex offender which surprised me). it's a big world that we live in and people need to accept everyone for what they are and whether adults or kids just report the immature annoying fools & deviants!

If you work things out you find a lot like Zezima started when they were in their mid teenage years and now they are all in the stage of life where they have to go to Varsity and excell to succeed so have stopped playing online games so much.

• mif12mif12 Member Posts: 8

Jagex are retards I'm sorry but they are all they worry about is getting more and more and more and more and more little kiddy players i actually know a lvl 35 thats 6 years old i personally have played 4 or 5 years now... I like the game and it is the first of what could have been a great line of games but JAGEX ruined that posiblity I MEAN SERIOUSLY YOU CAN DO ANYTHING IN THAT GAME!!! go fishing chop wood start fires mine for metals forge your own armour become a farmer slay monsters summon creaters STEAL STUFF and theres 200 some quests that are AWSOME and there is a lot of free content!! but jagex ruined it by the 100 little restrictions like the trade thing they ruined my favorite game... AND  I PAID GOOD MONEY BUILDING MY ACCOUNT.

if not for the fact that they made a serious breakthrough in modern gaming by allowing you to have 30+ differant skills I WOULD HATE THEM

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by mif12

Jagex are retards I'm sorry but they are all they worry about is getting more and more and more and more and more little kiddy players i actually know a lvl 35 thats 6 years old i personally have played 4 or 5 years now... I like the game and it is the first of what could have been a great line of games but JAGEX ruined that posiblity I MEAN SERIOUSLY YOU CAN DO ANYTHING IN THAT GAME!!! go fishing chop wood start fires mine for metals forge your own armour become a farmer slay monsters summon creaters STEAL STUFF and theres 200 some quests that are AWSOME and there is a lot of free content!! but jagex ruined it by the 100 little restrictions like the trade thing they ruined my favorite game... AND  I PAID GOOD MONEY BUILDING MY ACCOUNT.
    if not for the fact that they made a serious breakthrough in modern gaming by allowing you to have 30+ differant skills I WOULD HATE THEM

Jagex are freakin retards. So stupid for making the game for little kids. Not that I have anything against little kids, its just that mmos are supposed to be for older more mature audiences. Think of all the trouble its going to cause them having little kids in the game. With all the predators on the internet Jagex is just asking for trouble. Why Jagex??

• SimiswimmSimiswimm Member Posts: 127

I think that kind of says it all.