Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

dose this really count as an mmo?

CoronthCoronth Member Posts: 5

srsly

Comments

• anigousanigous Member UncommonPosts: 113

A rather pathetic question. Yes, you play with various people around the world. Party and quest, not to mention a grind. No storyline or filling gameplay. Now it's my turn are you qualified to even be called a gamer?

"i have a lvl 26 maplestory warrior lvl 9 asda story archer and a adventure quest mage lvl 15 and my xfire is my bro's"

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124

Umm yes MapleStory is a mmo.

Seriously. Do you know what mmo stands for? But yeah last time I checked MapleStory is an Online Multiplayer game that is fairly large. It does have several servers with quite a few players. So yeah it does qualify as a MMO, even though it is 2D. I actually think the 2D aspect makes the game somewhat unique and the characters are so cute.

• VampyrHeartVampyrHeart Member CommonPosts: 30

MMO = Massive Multiplayer online.......

It all applies to MapleStory.

I'm so sorry to inform you but Maple does count as an MMO........ (Srsly)

• Wildman2121Wildman2121 Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Coronth

srsly

Hmmm...MMO = A game which is played online with other players. A game which you have a account too where you typically "level up" skills or combat. Which means...MapleStory *gasp* is a MMO! Wow..and learn to spell please...if thats "seriously" I would take look at that..

• zadakzadak Member Posts: 4

yes its an mmorpg why shoudn't it be ?

• FaituFaitu Member Posts: 90

Yes it is a MMO, no it is NOT a MMORPG. Just take a look at the game, from the "RPG" it just borrowed the most basic engines. The quests and NPCs don't make you feel like you're actually playing a character. They have no depth, the game has no solid background story, even because none of these aspects is interesting for Nexon to gain money. Actually this is pretty much a chat room disguised as a RPG just like most of the other "MMORPGs" that are being launched lately. If a RPG for you is just about hacking and slashing to level up, you really need to review this concept.

In the end, it is just an endless ridiculous race to reach the highest level and look cool just to show off to your friends and laugh at lower leveled people. Buying their items makes your life easier, that's how they steal money from your pockets. They make playing this game and growing in it a need for their players, not an accessory.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Seriously are you really asking this question? obviously its a MMO, look at the website your on MMOrpg.com...

• tikboitikboi Member Posts: 243

of course! do u even know what MMO means?

• xDaexDae Member Posts: 7

Some people just shouldnt have access to the internet....

• MptrMptr Member Posts: 20

Maybe I'm wrong(which I probably am), but I think he's refering to MapleStory being way to instanced to be refered as an mmo(like Guild Wars sometimes is).

• Talon27Talon27 Member Posts: 24

It is totally an MMO.  A fun one too. 

I'm waiting on 3D version but still an MMO right now.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

It is not a MMO. It is a MOG (Multiplayer Online Game).

It is to frikkin small to be considered Massive!

• tastethegoldtastethegold Member Posts: 53

it is a mmo and a mmorpg. nobody anywhere is able to say otherwise, they are simply not qualified (including this site).

aside from the op lacking the intelligence of a gnat, they were probably referring to the fact that THE GAME IS LISTED ON MMORPG.COM! 

if its online its a mmorpg, there is no distinction to be made and this site is by no means an authority on anything except possibly trolling. cod4=role soldier, UNREAL=role combatant, MADDEN=role football player,  WWII online=role soldier, SAMP=role thug, i can do this all day. the acronym was stupid the second it was conceived, this site capitalized on the stupidity and continues to to this very day. as evident in this very thread.

• tastethegoldtastethegold Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by majinant

Originally posted by tastethegold

it is a mmo and a mmorpg. nobody anywhere is able to say otherwise, they are simply not qualified (including this site).
    aside from the op lacking the intelligence of a gnat, they were probably referring to the fact that THE GAME IS LISTED ON MMORPG.COM! 
    if its online its a mmorpg, there is no distinction to be made and this site is by no means an authority on anything except possibly trolling. cod4=role soldier, UNREAL=role combatant, MADDEN=role football player,  WWII online=role soldier, SAMP=role thug, i can do this all day. the acronym was stupid the second it was conceived, this site capitalized on the stupidity and continues to to this very day. as evident in this very thread.

{ Mod Delete }

massively= gotta break it down, starting word is massive which =having mass. do all those zeroes and ones actually possess mass? i think not, the only way the word makes sense is in terms of distribution and the fact that it is outside the basement i suppose it could be said that most games are massively distributed since they are on more than 2-3 machines.

multiplayer= doesnt make much sense to have an online single player game now does it?

online= connects through the internet....brilliant

role=ill just use a source older than the internet and steal their definition: 1 a (1): a character assigned or assumed <had to take on the role of both father and mother> (2): a socially expected behavior pattern usually determined by an individual's status in a particular society b: a part played by an actor or singer2: a function or part performed especially in a particular operation or process <played a major role in the negotiations>       

so yea if i pretend im i am a base ball player every time i take a dump i AM in fact role playing.

playing=pairs with role, suppose it means you are not dead serious about the role.

game= pretty much amounts to toy.

{ Mod Edit }

• crystalforcecrystalforce Member Posts: 2

another brainless thread.

• xXHuBBaZXxxXHuBBaZXx Member Posts: 21

YES it's a mass multiplayer Online Game ,

it's a MMO 

may be it's not MMORPG 

Cuz really maple won't count as a role playing game

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by tastethegold

Also means you aren't qualified to make your assumption.

if its online its a mmorpg, there is no distinction to be made and this site is by no means an authority on anything except possibly trolling.
    If it's online it's a mmorpg? Damn, never knew Counter Strike was a mmorpg.

• cerebrixcerebrix Member UncommonPosts: 566

dose this count as an mmo?  srsly....

ok let me put this in terms you can understand.

lol ur a nub

Games i'm playing right now...

"In short, I thought NGE was a very bad idea" - Raph Koster talking about NGE on his blog at raphkoster.com

• VolstagVolstag Member Posts: 25

yep it does.

You can play with thousands of other players simultaneously cant you?

Playing

uhhh... dang.

• Computer1337Computer1337 Member Posts: 45

Ofcourse its a MMO.. Its just like any other MMO only with 2d graphics.. smart one.

Currently Playing: MapleStory
    Have Played: RuneScape, Guild Wars, WoW.
    Waiting For: Guild Wars 2

• ahmetjeahmetje Member Posts: 5

duuhh.. Sure it is.

NoobsUnited & OVP
    WANTS YOU !

• shhwolf17shhwolf17 Member Posts: 146

pretty much no..its like this arcade that you see in old restaurants..thats about it

• Kowboy_KittyKowboy_Kitty Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by shhwolf17

pretty much no..its like this arcade that you see in old restaurants..thats about it

agree

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by Faitu

Yes it is a MMO, no it is NOT a MMORPG. Just take a look at the game, from the "RPG" it just borrowed the most basic engines. The quests and NPCs don't make you feel like you're actually playing a character. They have no depth, the game has no solid background story, even because none of these aspects is interesting for Nexon to gain money. Actually this is pretty much a chat room disguised as a RPG just like most of the other "MMORPGs" that are being launched lately. If a RPG for you is just about hacking and slashing to level up, you really need to review this concept.
    In the end, it is just an endless ridiculous race to reach the highest level and look cool just to show off to your friends and laugh at lower leveled people. Buying their items makes your life easier, that's how they steal money from your pockets. They make playing this game and growing in it a need for their players, not an accessory.

I disagree, MapleStory might not be a very good mmorpg but it is one. 

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Sarbocabras

I disagree, MapleStory might not be a very good mmorpg but it is one. 

I would agree that that statement.  I think if they actually had a server designed for a p2p pay model it would be very interesting to see how well it would do.