Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new eq2 expansion the shadow odyssey

boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

Looks very nice as an expansion, somewhere theres dungeon videos, but i cant find them atm, looks doomier and darker than previos expansions, i cant frikking wait , as an avid eq2 fan this is something i am anticipationg, heres a link to the page for the expansion, if i remember where the hell the videos are ill link those as well.  http://everquest2.station.sony.com/expansions.vm      enjoy.

playing eq2 and two worlds

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

To me is the usual re-heated soup.

The new dungeon system comes straight from EQ (LDoN), everything else follow the same pattern of other expansions (2 Million new boring zones + increase lvl cap + increase AA cap)

There is not enough interesting content which will convince me to buy this expansion this time around.

I remember I gave up on EQ1 more or less at the same point, which means when they released LDoN (with the new dungeon system), due to the fact the game was getting too easy and there were too many zones.

So I don't see myself buying this, since I saw this movie before...........

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by ste2000

Welcome to MMO's.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

The new dungeon system comes straight from EQ (LDoN), everything else follow the same pattern of other expansions (2 Million new boring zones + increase lvl cap + increase AA cap)

There is not enough interesting content which will convince me to buy this expansion this time around.

I remember I gave up on EQ1 more or less at the same point, which means when they released LDoN (with the new dungeon system), due to the fact the game was getting too easy and there were too many zones.

Why would you even consider buying the expansion at all? Every chance you get you put down EQ2 and say you no longer play and will never go back. You always talk about how bad EQ2 is in your opinion. What I wonder is why you care so much to post in the EQ2 forums on a game you obviously do not like and never plan on playing again. There must be something in EQ2 you liked to still want to talk about it.  

I never played EQ1 so the new expansion is not reheated soup to me. It actually looks really cool. The trailer I saw was exciting and looked great. You know every mmo I have ever played (just a few EVE, WoW, EQ2, AC!, AC2, SWG, LOTRO, Runescape, UO, D&D and a few more) an expansion has been; more levels, raised caps, increases AA (skills), new zones, etc. That is what an expasion is. Sounds like you want a completely new game. Good luck with that. SWG tried that with NGE look how that turned out.

As a note ste200 you have been here on these forums a long time and I do think many of your posts I have read are smart and correct. I do respect your opinions. However I do not understand you constant attacks on EQ2. With your experience I would think you would realize EQ2 is a pretty good game just not for you. Some of your post on EQ2 seem almost like you have something personnel agaist EQ2. I am asuming it never lived up to your expectation as an EQ player. I maybe wrong but I play EQ2 for what it is. EQ2 is not for everyone but it is much better then you claim in this forum.

Originally posted by eccoton

Why would you even consider buying the expansion at all? Every chance you get you put down EQ2 and say you no longer play and will never go back. You always talk about how bad EQ2 is in your opinion. What I wonder is why you care so much to post in the EQ2 forums on a game you obviously do not like and never plan on playing again. There must be something in EQ2 you liked to still want to talk about it.  

I never played EQ1 so the new expansion is not reheated soup to me. It actually looks really cool. The trailer I saw was exciting and looked great. You know every mmo I have ever played (just a few EVE, WoW, EQ2, AC!, AC2, SWG, LOTRO, Runescape, UO, D&D and a few more) an expansion has been; more levels, raised caps, increases AA (skills), new zones, etc. That is what an expasion is. Sounds like you want a completely new game. Good luck with that. SWG tried that with NGE look how that turned out.

As a note ste200 you have been here on these forums a long time and I do think many of your posts I have read are smart and correct. I do respect your opinions. However I do not understand you constant attacks on EQ2. With your experience I would think you would realize EQ2 is a pretty good game just not for you. Some of your post on EQ2 seem almost like you have something personnel agaist EQ2. I am asuming it never lived up to your expectation as an EQ player. I maybe wrong but I play EQ2 for what it is. EQ2 is not for everyone but it is much better then you claim in this forum.

Thank you for saying that.

I really don't understand people whose whole purpose is just to come in and bash a game they don't like unless they're here to cause trouble.

I mean seriously... I loath WoW with a passion, but I don't go into the WoW section just to bash everything about it.

Originally posted by Moirae

I really don't understand people whose whole purpose is just to come in and bash a game they don't like unless they're here to cause trouble.

I mean seriously... I loath WoW with a passion, but I don't go into the WoW section just to bash everything about it.

So people understand I read ste200's post he is a good writer and has many smart well reasoned ideas. However when it comes to SOE and in particular EQ2 he seems to have an almost personnel problem with the game.

I comment on his post because he is so well written and thoughtful. This suggest someone who would not go out of their way to attack a game on only his opinion but on fact. However in the case of EQ2 he presents his reasoning as fact, This is why i post in oposition because I want potential players to have fun with EQ2 not run away based on bias misleading posts presented as facts.

I want to present a more rounded view of the game. EQ2 is far from perfect but it is a game worth the time invested and is not dead as ste2000 has claim over and over. I found it interesting that the eq2 correspondent mentions ste2000 in his latest article. I am not the only one who view his ideas on EQ2 come as a "hater". ste2000 gave a great response to the article but even reading that I still get the feeling, since he thinks eq2 is bad then everyone else should. Reguardless of what anyone else posts about the game. Many people come here to post with a great deal of passion but at time that passion sometimes gets lost along the way and turns to "hater" mentality. As much as ste2000 puts down eq2 I will support the game and encourage others to give it a try.

• lillinlillin Member Posts: 207

What facts would you like?

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Its the current trend with people who do not like a certain MMO. Go to Age of Conan. Its horrible over there.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Actually is quite easy to understand.

I played this game for almost 4 years.

First 2 years the game was awesome, then the game started to become a different game, more casual, and with lot of similarities with WoW, in particular the last expansion RoK.

Since I was planning to keep playing the game for years to come, those radical changes prevented me to do so, and I felt like I wasted years of my time developing characters that, because of SoE changes, I won't be able to  play anymore.

So since I feel robbed, the least I can do is to bother SoE by warning people the way they manage their games.

I don't do this with every MMO or developer, but only with SoE which is the only developer that changes radically the mechanics of their games betraying their current customers in the hope of getting a slice of the WoW market slice.

If SoE was more coherent, and they would have said about their intention to water down the game, I would never have started playing, and I would have spent my money/time somewhere else.

With SoE one day you have apples, the next day oranges.

Little they care if you actually like the oranges or not, they still shove it down your throat whether you like it or not.

They did it with EQ1, SWG and now EQ2, it is not the first time and it won't be the last.

This is how SoE behave towards their customers, and I will remind people as much as I can, until they start changing their policies and take their customers more into consideration.

PS: I don't feel EQ2 is crap, I think it was way better before, and I think that now WoW is better than EQ2, which wasn't the case before.

I am sure some people might like the game as it is, but be aware that what you like today, SoE might turn it to something different tomorrow.

That's the message.

Actually is quite easy to understand.

I played this game for almost 4 years.

First 2 years the game was awesome, then the game started to become a different game, more casual, and with lot of similarities with WoW, in particular the last expansion RoK.

Since I was planning to keep playing the game for years to come, those radical changes prevented me to do so, and I felt like I wasted years of my time developing characters that, because of SoE changes, I won't be able to  play anymore.

So since I feel robbed, the least I can do is to bother SoE by warning people the way they manage their games.

I don't do this with every MMO or developer, but only with SoE which is the only developer that changes radically the mechanics of their games betraying their current customers in the hope of getting a slice of the WoW market slice.

If SoE was more coherent, and they would have said about their intention to water down the game, I would never have started playing, and I would have spent my money/time somewhere else.

With SoE one day you have apples, the next day oranges.

Little they care if you actually like the oranges or not, they still shove it down your throat whether you like it or not.

They did it with EQ1, SWG and now EQ2, it is not the first time and it won't be the last.

This is how SoE behave towards their customers, and I will remind people as much as I can, until they start changing their policies and take their customers more into consideration.

PS: I don't feel EQ2 is crap, I think it was way better before, and I think that now WoW is better than EQ2, which wasn't the case before.

I am sure some people might like the game as it is, but be aware that what you like today, SoE might turn it to something different tomorrow.

That's the message.

Trying to save the masses again from the evil SOE. Are you really that self centered to believe you have some kind of special insight and know better then the people who actually made the game? They own the game not you. They put in years of developement not you. They are the creative force that allows you to enjoy games in the first place not you.

Because you play a game and pay for it does not mean you own the game. You got burned by SOE as many including me did. The difference is I understand one fundamental thing you seem to miss. They are just games. No one shoved anything down your throat you choose to play the game. You hate the changes stop paying to play it. It is that easy. If you believe the time you spent in a game was some sort of investment then you need to stop playing game especially mmos. This is not real life. I love mmos but they are still only games.

You do not like what a developer does then use your rights as a consumer and stop playing their game.  You will even post off topic here at mmorpg.com to let us all know how much you hate SOE. No one really cares especially the developers. This includes your beloved Blizzard as well. Developers are in buisness this is not a charity just set up for your entertainment.

SOE did to swg what they thought would be smart buisness it totally back fired. You know what I did? I simply stopped playing SWG. When there is a topic on this line I will explain why I left the game but believe me I do not lose sleep over it. You know why? IT IS JUST A GAME! Why not take your passion that you use to attack SOE and do something productive with it, maybe in your community to help make peoples lives really better. SOE just makes games. Instead of reminding people how bad SOE is to their customers why not remind them that these are just GAMES!

*standing ovation for ecoton* EXACTLY.

Its business. Don't like the game, don't buy it, don't take part in it, but stop harping on it with every breath. The adult thing to do is move on.

I loath WoW with a passion never seen before or since. I played that game three weeks and couldn't take it anymore. Its MMO's lite for the lazy.

Yet, I did the adult thing... I moved on. Its just business. The game isn't for me and thats it, thats all, nothing more to it than that.

Its like any other product, if you don't like the product, move on.

• TimeferretTimeferret Member Posts: 17

I do hope that SOE will rectify the "Application ran out of memory while requesting _____ bytes" problem in the next expansion, for all those who have a higher spec PC's,

Originally posted by Timeferret

I do hope that SOE will rectify the "Application ran out of memory while requesting _____ bytes" problem in the next expansion, for all those who have a higher spec PC's,

Yea I hope so to. While I do not have a problem with it anymore, I did have that error for a few months when I first got this PC (Higher end box). As much as I will defend EQ2 and recommend it, SOE customers service is really lacking. I talked to their techs on the phone about the issue and their stance was it was a problem with my PC and not on their end. We all know that is bull. EQ2 is the best show in town in my opinion but I will be first to admit, it has a lot of coding issues. It can be a struggle for many players to get running right. EQ2 could learn a lot from WoW and LoTRO in terms of stability. When you have it running right with graphic maxed it is a real treat. I feel is well worth the effort.

Trying to save the masses again from the evil SOE. Are you really that self centered to believe you have some kind of special insight and know better then the people who actually made the game? They own the game not you. They put in years of developement not you. They are the creative force that allows you to enjoy games in the first place not you.

And I am the one who played it for almost 4 years, not them (I am sure they don't even play their game).

I am the one who paid the subscription, not them.

And I am the one who took it in that place when they decided to turn this game into WoW, not them.........

So if they are allowed to do whatever they want with their games without taking their customers in consideration,  I am allowed to have my say and warn people of how SoE does business.

People then can decide if they want to listen to me or play the SoE games.

That's really simple.

If you don't like people saying bad things about SoE and EQ2  you can go to the official website where everyone agree with your view (or else they will be banned for life).

I don't tell you not to post your positive feedback here, so I would appreciate if you do the same.

In here, there are both the positive and the negative posts, and I believe people have the brains to make their own decisions by reading both the positive and negative feedbacks.

PS: Stop the shit about moving on if you don't like a game.

I played AoC, didn't like it and I am not in the AoC forum destroying Funcom.

I played WaR beta for 1 year, I didn't like it and I am not gonna buy the game. But I am not in the WAR forum making crusades against Mythyc.

But with those 2 games I didn't waste 4 years of my play time like I did with EQ2 and previously with EQ1 and SWG, so I am not gonna bother, I am gonna move on, like I did with many other MMO.

But for SoE and its games it's another matter, I am gonna stay around until they stop changing the concept of their games halfway thorugh their life time.

They need to learn to be consistent, it's the only game company I know that does this kind of things.

Surely by myself I am not gonna do much damage.

Luckily I am not alone, there is an army of disgrunted ex customers all over the net badmouthing SoE, and all this hate has been created only because SoE faults, and can only be stopped by SoE if they start  treating their customers with more respect.

It's an easy formula, it always works in business, but they don't get it, and they will keep bleeding customers right and left for this reason.

And I am the one who played it for almost 4 years, not them (I am sure they don't even play their game).

And I am the one who took it in that place when they decided to turn this game into WoW, not them.........

So if they are allowed to do whatever they want with their games without taking their customers in consideration,  I am allowed to have my say and warn people of how SoE does business.

That's really simple.

If you don't like people saying bad things about SoE and EQ2  you can go to the official website where everyone agree with your view (or else they will be banned for life).

I don't tell you not to post your positive feedback here, so I would appreciate if you do the same.

In here, there are both the positive and the negative posts, and I believe people have the brains to make their own decisions by reading both the positive and negative feedbacks.

I played WaR beta for 1 year, I didn't like it and I am not gonna buy the game. But I am not in the WAR forum making crusades against Mythyc.

But with those 2 games I didn't waste 4 years of my play time like I did with EQ2 and previously with EQ1 and SWG, so I am not gonna bother, I am gonna move on, like I did with many other MMO.

But for SoE and its games it's another matter, I am gonna stay around until they stop changing the concept of their games halfway thorugh their life time.

They need to learn to be consistent, it's the only game company I know that does this kind of things.

Luckily I am not alone, there is an army of disgrunted ex customers all over the net badmouthing SoE, and all this hate has been created only because SoE faults, and can only be stopped by SoE if they start  treating their customers with more respect.

It's an easy formula, it always works in business, but they don't get it, and they will keep bleeding customers right and left for this reason.

I have posted a number of response to your posts. Since when it comes to EQ2 I totally disagree with you. However not once have I ever suggested you stop, as you claim above. Not once have I said you did not have a right to post. Check all my posts. You have just as much right to post here as I do. Never have I ever suggested you did not. Only thing I have said was I disagree with you strongly about EQ2 and that in my opinion you are totally wasting your time. Post away. 

Oh by the way Shadow Odyssey looks great I can not wait for it to go live.

• PapaLazarouPapaLazarou Member Posts: 502

EQ2 free browser based game.

Do it SOE because EQ2 was only fun in beta when there was 6 versions of the common lands and I could easily find a group and cities were busy with lots of people talking.

Now it's like where is everyone?

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003
    Originally posted by PapaLazarou

Theey've all buggered off becuase the free time ran out ;)

• fozzie22fozzie22 Member Posts: 1,003

That's really simple.

I think you make some sound points here tbh

In this forum there has,sadly an almost rabid fanboy mentality going on,which i find sad and frankly why i hardly bother to post here anymore

EQ2 is the best (IMO) MMO on the market,there yet again i've said it..but it has problems like all other MMO,its not perfect by a long shot as some here would have you believe

ROK introduced an expansion so unbalanced  SOE are (more or less) having to push a group based expansion to even things up and its this utter lack of consistency that gets vets like me at least down,maybe when they've got this one out the way and find (hopefully) a course of action they can stick to the game will rise again,but it does need a steady hand on the tiller steering the ship through these rough waters that are approaching (WAR and the WOW xpac) becuase the game will bleede subscribers for awhile and SOE need just to keep thier heads..but the question is will they?

• PapaLazarouPapaLazarou Member Posts: 502
    Originally posted by fozzie22

Originally posted by PapaLazarou

Theey've all buggered off becuase the free time ran out ;)

The free time can't even get me to play SOE's games because they just arn't fun. I don't understand why you'd play a game just because its free because if you liked it then you would subscribe to it and so I reckon the free time doesn't do much for the population.

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265

I think in general the population has gone up though, Im still not sure what to make of the upcoming expansion.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

This game needs a kick in the butt.....An LDoN type expansion is exactly what it needs.....Hardly anyone groups in the game anymore and an LDoN type expansion would give players reasons to start grouping again......It sounds like they are using WoWs easy mode methods with EQ1's expansions......

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

*standing ovation for ecoton* EXACTLY.
    Its business. Don't like the game, don't buy it, don't take part in it, but stop harping on it with every breath. The adult thing to do is move on.
    I loath WoW with a passion never seen before or since. I played that game three weeks and couldn't take it anymore. Its MMO's lite for the lazy.
    Yet, I did the adult thing... I moved on. Its just business. The game isn't for me and thats it, thats all, nothing more to it than that.
    Its like any other product, if you don't like the product, move on.

That is some very strange advice you are handing out.

I guess it is ok to do the same thing as long as do your harping in a discussion forum that isn't about the game you are harping on? 

At least the OP is posting their opinions in the right spot.

• jaXesjaXes Member Posts: 1

In my humble opinion, all those changes SOE did to EQ2 made the game MUCH better than it was originally.

Looking forward to Shadow Odyssey...

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

It seems that SOE, or any mmo company is constantly caught in a conundrum when it comes to expansions.  Update the gameplay and content to appeal to a broader range of customers, or...appeal to the die hard fans, usualy at the expense of new customers.

If they keep the game as is, the verterans may be pleased for now, but will soon be complaining about lack of content and becoming bored, rightfully so.  If they decide to add more content (aside from a new map/ area only) People will complain about changing the game too much and be angry...rightfully so. 

So this is what happens, you add a new class and it ruins old classes that it may compete with or touch on the same role as an old class.  You add new areas where diffrent gameplay is required and it ruins the gameplay for veterans, you do nothing and it makes the game become stale (with complaints about the developers letting the game die)

Its like a developer has no choice but to piss off the gaming community.

So yeah, i think everyone should just play the game and try to enjoy it, its not like they are adding content that limits your play right.

Eq2 is a good game, one of the best pve games, even if you hate it, im sure you can name about 15-20 games that are way worse.  Sure its not the holy grail of mmo's, wow was for a while but that game is easy mode and doent appeal to me, i like a game with more challange like eq2.  Sure if could be more challanging, but make it too difficult and youll have trouble getting new players to make it past the 14 day trial without quitting, thats just how these things work.

As was said before in this thread...if you really dont like the direction the game is going in, voice your opinion where it will be heard (Eq2 official forums) drop a post here about what you dont like, then move on.  One posts by many people voicing discontent is far stronger than a few people posting many discontent threads.

Remember you cant make everyone happy...

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

I still enjoy EQ II, I can understand why some choose to move on, but I don’t understand the personal Vendetta, nor do I understand the Mods allowing this when we all know that if it was someone bashing oh say WoW or EvE they would be looking at the Business end of the ban hammer.

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

not sure yet what to think about the expansion. i like that there is no level cap increase, just more aa. i also like that its more focused on dungeons. but i'm not sure yet on that ldon system and the amount of content they add. 20 new zones (1 overland, 4 raidzones, + rest dungeons and instances), i guess it will all depoend how big these dungeons/instances are. Also 4 raidzones sounds a bit low amount especially cause they said one of these will be small (probably a only 1 boss zone), guess it will depend how big the others are and how hard its to progress in them, but on other side eof also only had 4 raidzones and one of these was small too. 

as i said at start i am still unsure about the expansion after the announcement, i will hope to get into beta or wait till they lift nda and we heaar from players about the expansion before i will decide if its a good one or not.