Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing Video Games Offers Learning Across Life Span, Say Studies

War_EagleWar_Eagle Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 472

Whoa, if WoW can cause that much to go on in a groups brains, then they should have focused on some of the more complex MMO's.  In all honesty, when I play WoW, I feel a bit numb upstairs.  I call it my "drinking game". 

Interesting article though.  I guess if you need a surgeon, ask him if he plays video games.  If so, your chances of survival are greater. 

It also addresses some of the old violence and video games issues.  As well as some of the positive cognitive aspects of non-violent video games on kids.

Playing video games offers learning across life span, say studies

Certain types of video games can have beneficial effects, improving gamers' dexterity as well as their ability to problem-solve – attributes that have proven useful not only to students but to surgeons, according to research discussed Sunday at the Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association.

In one paper, Fordham University psychologist Fran C. Blumberg, PhD, and Sabrina S. Ismailer, MSED, examined 122 fifth-, sixth- and seventh-graders' problem-solving behavior while playing a video game that they had never seen before to show that playing video games can improve cognitive and perceptual skills.

As the children played the game, they were asked to think aloud for 20 minutes. Researchers assessed their problem-solving ability by examining the types of cognitive, goal-oriented, game-oriented, emotional and contextual statements they made.

"Younger children seem more interested in setting short-term goals for their learning in the game compared to older children who are more interested in simply playing and the actions of playing," said Blumberg. "Thus, younger children may show a greater need for focusing on small aspects of a given problem than older children, even in a leisure-based situation such as playing video games."

In a second paper, Iowa State University psychologist Douglas Gentile, PhD, and William Stone, BS, described several studies involving high school and college students and laparoscopic surgeons that looked at their video game usage and its effects.

Findings from the student studies confirmed previous research on effects of playing violent games: Those playing violent games were more hostile, less forgiving and believed violence to be normal compared to those who played nonviolent games. Players of "prosocial" games got into fewer fights in school and were more helpful to other students.

Other studies involving students showed that those who played more entertainment games did poorer in school and were at greater risk for obesity.

A study of 33 laparoscopic surgeons found that those who played video games were 27 percent faster at advanced surgical procedures and made 37 percent fewer errors compared to those who did not play video games, said Gentile.

Advanced video game skill and experience are significant predictors of suturing capabilities, the researchers found, even after controlling for sex, years of medical training and number of laparoscopic surgeries performed.

A second study of 303 laparoscopic surgeons (82 percent men; 18 percent women) also showed that surgeons who played video games requiring spatial skills and hand dexterity and then performed a drill testing these skills were significantly faster at their first attempt and across all 10 trials than the surgeons who did not the play video games first.

"The big picture is that there are several dimensions on which games have effects, including the amount they are played, the content of each game, what you have to pay attention to on the screen, and how you control the motions," said Gentile. "This means that games are not 'good' or 'bad,' but are powerful educational tools and have many effects we might not have expected they could."

In another paper, researchers Constance Steinkuehler, PhD, and Sean Duncan, MA, of the University of Wisconsin at Madison looked at how game-based learning can supplement textbooks and science labs in fostering scientific thinking. They analyzed a random sample of nearly 2,000 discussion posts in November 2006 where participants talked about various game-related topics.

Using codes based on national benchmarks for scientific literacy, discussions of the multiplayer online game World of Warcraft were examined to see what types of conversations took place, such as social bantering versus problem-solving, that classified as scientific reasoning. The game set in a fantasy world had players of various classes hunt, gather, battle and craft in order to strengthen or move their character up in "levels." Characters move faster when they work together.

The codes addressed a different aspect of scientific thinking, including reasoning using systems and models, understanding feedback, predicting and testing and using math to investigate a problem.

Scientific thinking can be learned in virtual worlds, said Duncan. The majority of participants (86 percent) shared their knowledge to solve problems and more than half the participants (58 percent) used systematic and evaluative processes indicative of scientific reasoning.

"These forums illustrate how sophisticated intellectual practices to improve game play mimic actual scientific reasoning," said Duncan. "Gamers are openly discussing their strategies and thinking, creating an environment in which informal scientific reasoning practices are being learned by playing these online video games."

Source: American Psychological Association

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All Rights Reversed

Comments

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

What games are these people playing?  No game I have ever played has required me to think very hard, especially MMOs they are mind numbing busy work.  The only game that has ever taught me anything was Dynasty Warriors, and that was history.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• War_EagleWar_Eagle Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by CactusmanX

What games are these people playing?  No game I have ever played has required me to think very hard, especially MMOs they are mind numbing busy work.  The only game that has ever taught me anything was Dynasty Warriors, and that was history.

Some of the classes in DAoC are pretty complex (or can be).

The Animist for instance.  Ever played him?  He's hard to fit in a group.  When I play mine I usually just solo, which makes it even more intense.

I think people are just kind of stuck in the whole tank/healer/damage dealer rut.  It's hard for developers to get out of that one.

From what I've heard EQ has some pretty complex character development.  Although, I'm sure you can still get caught in the tank/healer/damage dealer trap there too.

Are there any strategy games you've played that make you think?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All Rights Reversed

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

so what another study that puts people on a compy for 20 mins then puts them somewhere else for 10 mins while the after effects are still in place?

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

I agree that playing games isn't that hard usually, but it does require some basic problem solving skills.  MMOs are likely at an all time low in terms of complexity on the user end, but even WoW requires you to think about what you are doing and how to work with others.  It teaches you have to play a role in a group and how to solve very simple quests.

As for the rest I believe games are getting closer to simulators that can be used to practice things like flying, combat, and driving while sitting safely at home.  I used to play more action oriented games when I was younger which required really good reflexes to complete.  No doubt these type of games help to make your reactive skills better.

• ZyllosZyllos Member UncommonPosts: 537

Another thing you might want to think about is that we "gamers" are inside the box and "non-gamers" are outside the box. People outside the box tend to see things very differently than people who are inside the box. So for people who play games, we tend to see things like "WoW sucks!" or "That game requires no effort to play!" while someone does not play says "WoW? Who has the time?" or "Why play video games?"

MMOs Played: I can no longer list them all in the 500 character limit.

• MarleVVLLMarleVVLL Member UncommonPosts: 907

I think using a MMO was only one example of the research. It implied that other games were played as well. Consider games like Age of Empires 2: the Conqueres. That game is massively complex and has many obstacles one must overcome in order to win. MMOs, for the most part, usually do not have that many 'problems' going on at one time.

Blessings,

MMO migrant.