Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favorite/Least favorite campaign?

Fatal_ReduxFatal_Redux Member Posts: 23

I have wanted to know this for some time now, I have always wanted to know what others have thought of the other GW campaigns, so I will ask it now. What is your favorite and least favorite GW campaign and why?

Favorite: Prophecies, because it is just the start of it all and to me, it still has the charm of being much slower paced and deliberate, rather than Factions. Although they changed some of the skills and the player base has moved on to other things from Prophecies, it still keeps most of the reasons why I like it intact, and that is the fact that there are harder missions in Prophecies (at least I think, but not too frustrating) and that there is a lot of area to cover. Rather than what Factions felt like (monastery, city, Luxon place, Kurzick place, end-game), Prophecies had distinct enemies and everything that went along with it (like differing weapons and outposts), instead of cookie-cutter NPCs and all that. Plus, the quests in Prophecies weren't random, they felt like they had a purpose (unlike Factions, which is all about the paltry reward)

Least favorite: Yes, I have been ragging on about it for some time, and yes it is Factions. I don't like Factions because it isn't hardcore, it's just short and bad (the story is remotely interesting, however). Yes, new classes are introduced (I hate Assassins, even though I've played them, and I have yet to try a Rit) and there are all these new skills and things introduced, but it just has none of the feel of Prophecies. I created a new character a couple of days ago and he is already level 20 with loads of platinum. That doesn't mean anything as everyone is level 20 anyways. The game is terribly short (as I breezed through it without much failure) and I know that I am talking about my new character, but it didn't take much to find my way around even though I started with Factions (and then got Prophecies and saw how much better it was). I don't like nor hate the new Kurzick/Luxon war introduced in the game, but I hate the faction grinding and alliance battles, not because I can't do them, but because the whole concept of getting a title that I think is pointless (Defender/Savior of _____) and the bad rewards you get for grinding the faction in the first place is stupid, in my opinion.

I have yet to try Nightfall, because I don't own it, but what are your opinions?

Comments

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Nightfall got the best storyline, environment, professions and it introduces heroes too. I personally consider it to be the by far funniest and best campaign so far. My least favorite campaign isn't really as easy to determine since I don't like really like or dislike neither Prophecies nor Factions and can't therefore really decide one.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

proph is the best

it had the real feel of an MMORPG

the other two are fast paced

however, NF should be more of an expansion like eotn rather than a separate camapaign altogether

• NartholdNarthold Member Posts: 21

Proph is my favorite. In my opinion it has the best environment, and best story.

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Prophecies has a special place in my heart (was there from launch), but I felt Nightfall is better laid out, and is more entertaining with more to do.

Eye of the North is probably the most challenging piece to date (and the story helps tie up looses ends), even if it is not a campaign.

But, I think we can all see a consensus. Factions is not a good campaign in my opinion. I have yet to go back and finish it as it just seems so bland. Not many others voting it up either.

Cheers

• zonzaizonzai Member Posts: 358

Favorite = Prophecies

Least Favorite = Factions

• TayukeTayuke Member Posts: 11

a

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

My faves Factions...  Basically because without it, I'd have quit Guild Wars for something else

After a year and a half, I was bored of Prophecies

imageimage

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

My favourite is Prophecies and my worst is Factions, though the latter isn't really bad per se', just didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoy the others. Alliance Battles are very fun though which wouldn't be there had it not been for Factions.

• DanBurkeDanBurke Member Posts: 11

I would have to say that my fave of all three would have to be prophecies, not just the fact that is was the first one i ever bought, but because i love the stroy line and the fact you have pre searing, where you have to complete a mission before you leave the place. Also the fact if you get to lvl 20 bfore you leave you get a kool title.

My least favourite would have to be Factions, not that i dont like it, i love them all but i just like Prophecies and Nightfall better than this one. i think its because Factions is a bit too fast paced for me and the whole game takes two seconds to complete (not literally of course).

I havent tried the new add on yet, (EOTN). Anyone like to tell me how good it is?

Playing: GuildWars
    Contemplating: Silkroad, WoW
    Waiting: GuildWars 2, Stargate Worlds

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

Eye of the North rocks for me... then Nightfall, factions and last one prophecies...

• CroixeCroixe Member Posts: 5

I like Factions above the rest of the campaigns. Up to now I still spend most of my time enjoying the gameplay.

Nighfall has been my worst... eherm... least favorite campaigne but just for the fact that my pc seems to be aggressively slow and buggy. My display warps every now and then with no help from my manufacturer at all. (DELL).

That being said and done, my preferences won't change until I get a new rig,

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by DanBurke

I would have to say that my fave of all three would have to be prophecies, not just the fact that is was the first one i ever bought, but because i love the stroy line and the fact you have pre searing, where you have to complete a mission before you leave the place. Also the fact if you get to lvl 20 bfore you leave you get a kool title.

My least favourite would have to be Factions, not that i dont like it, i love them all but i just like Prophecies and Nightfall better than this one. i think its because Factions is a bit too fast paced for me and the whole game takes two seconds to complete (not literally of course).

I havent tried the new add on yet, (EOTN). Anyone like to tell me how good it is?

EoTN is incredibly good, incredibly hard, incredibly fun, incredibly gorgeous to look at.

The options of the new Heroes and new armor and of course the Hall of Monuments all adds to it. If you own at least two campaigns, you owe it to yourself to get EoTN. And if you are a Prophecies fanatic, the closure for Gwen is worth every penny.

Cheers

Originally posted by openedge1
    Originally posted by DanBurke I would have to say that my fave of all three would have to be prophecies, not just the fact that is was the first one i ever bought, but because i love the stroy line and the fact you have pre searing, where you have to complete a mission before you leave the place. Also the fact if you get to lvl 20 bfore you leave you get a kool title.

EoTN is incredibly good, incredibly hard, incredibly fun, incredibly gorgeous to look at.
    The options of the new Heroes and new armor and of course the Hall of Monuments all adds to it. If you own at least two campaigns, you owe it to yourself to get EoTN. And if you are a Prophecies fanatic, the closure for Gwen is worth every penny.
    Cheers

I find it to be at the best decent and usually it feels like it's just the same shit over and over again when you go through all those stupid dungeons. I agree on the hard part too. The thing is that EoTN really has to be bought if you're a true GW player, but not for the content but because of Hall of Monuments and all the PvE skills introduced in it.

• DanBurkeDanBurke Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Godliest

Originally posted by openedge1

Originally posted by DanBurke

Cheers

I find it to be at the best decent and usually it feels like it's just the same shit over and over again when you go through all those stupid dungeons. I agree on the hard part too. The thing is that EoTN really has to be bought if you're a true GW player, but not for the content but because of Hall of Monuments and all the PvE skills introduced in it.

Cheers Guys, i am a huge GW fanatic, and i am definately going to buy EotN. Mainly to find out about Gwen. thanks again!!!

Playing: GuildWars
    Contemplating: Silkroad, WoW
    Waiting: GuildWars 2, Stargate Worlds

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

I'm going to go with the huge minority speaking so far and say my fav is factions and my least fave is Nightfall.  I played prophecies for a little over a year i think it was (forget exact times here, been a while) and factions storyline seemed to be so much better in my opinion.  And I remember the first time i did the mission where people from Prophecies meet people from Factions (Damned if i can remember the name, has the Local and Foreign Quarter... sorry been a while since i've played) and you got 16 people and like 40 mobs and it's just this huge 56 man battle royale and it has this controlled chaos feel to it.  Then you have the diverging factions of the Kurzick and Luxon and fighting against them until you combine with them again for another 16 man battle royale with a bunch of monsters.  To me Nightfall failed to really draw me in and to this day (nearly 2 years sincei've had it i think?) i've not finished it as i just never felt drawn in.

Could this just be my personal tastes? Quite definately as by the time i finished factions about the 6th time i started playing FInal Fantasy XI and got caught up in it and spent less time on Guild Wars.  I've not played EotN outside of the trial so I cant give an accurate review of it and Prophecies is #2 because it's Prophecies. It's where we all started with our 4 character limits lol.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

Originally posted by Suplyndmnd
    I'm going to go with the huge minority speaking so far and say my fav is factions and my least fave is Nightfall.  I played prophecies for a little over a year i think it was (forget exact times here, been a while) and factions storyline seemed to be so much better in my opinion.  And I remember the first time i did the mission where people from Prophecies meet people from Factions (Damned if i can remember the name, has the Local and Foreign Quarter... sorry been a while since i've played) and you got 16 people and like 40 mobs and it's just this huge 56 man battle royale and it has this controlled chaos feel to it.  Then you have the diverging factions of the Kurzick and Luxon and fighting against them until you combine with them again for another 16 man battle royale with a bunch of monsters.  To me Nightfall failed to really draw me in and to this day (nearly 2 years sincei've had it i think?) i've not finished it as i just never felt drawn in.

The mission would be Vizunah Square, which got two different outposts - Vizunah Square (Foreign Quarter and Vizunah Sqaure (Local Quarter) - depending on if you're from Factions or another campaign.

Other than that it seems to me like the campaigns that made each separate person start playing GW seriously was the ones of your preference; the earlier guys that've played longest think Prophecies because it was the one that pulled them in, while some got truly pulled in only when Factions came, and some late guys - me - didn't really start enjoying it until Nightfall. Probably not a big surprise but probably proves that there really is no "worst" or "best" campaign - only campaigns that made you get addicted or campaigns that didn't.

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by Godliest

Originally posted by Suplyndmnd

The mission would be Vizunah Square, which got two different outposts - Vizunah Square (Foreign Quarter and Vizunah Sqaure (Local Quarter) - depending on if you're from Factions or another campaign.

Other than that it seems to me like the campaigns that made each separate person start playing GW seriously was the ones of your preference; the earlier guys that've played longest think Prophecies because it was the one that pulled them in, while some got truly pulled in only when Factions came, and some late guys - me - didn't really start enjoying it until Nightfall. Probably not a big surprise but probably proves that there really is no "worst" or "best" campaign - only campaigns that made you get addicted or campaigns that didn't.

Thanks for te correction on the Vizunah Square. For the life of me i couldn't remember the name.  However, i started with Prophecies and was playing that for a long time before Factions was even released.  I was back in the day when you got 4 characters. You couldn't buy slots and etc lol.  However, I think the best thing about Guild Wars is, even the one campaign/expansion that is your least favorite you still like.  That is how it was pretty much with me.  Even Nightfall with me, though i got kinda bored with it (Again, it was mostly due to just getting into another game more probably) it's still kinda fun and I do get on still and go do a mission or two on it.  Speaks volumes to the franchies that is Guild Wars i think.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• Kane4002Kane4002 Member Posts: 36

Every campaign has its' strengths and weaknesses.

Prophecies has alot of depth in my opinion pve-wise and is just the best game to start with.

Factions has less depth but adds the whole Alliance battle system which is a fun low-end PvP system

Nightfall is simply a necessity for the fact that you can have heroes who you customize (assign skill bar etc.) which makes henchmen look like noobs. (assuming you skill your heroes well :P)

If you do decide to play the PvP part of the game (which I reccomend because GW is PvP oriented), owning all campaigns (incl. EotN) is probably a must because you need access ro all skills (alternatively you can purchase pvp-packs which unlocks the skills for pvp only)

• hXcFecalhXcFecal Member Posts: 39

Factions is the best one hands down. prophecies was the worst to me. NF was pretty good

Playing:WoW,Guild Wars
    Used to play: Vanguard, Anarchy Online (got to lvl 6 and quit :p)
    Waiting for: Warhammer, Aion

• SerlingSerling Member Posts: 662

I like them all, but if i had to pick a favorite, it'd be Prophecies.

Least favorite is EoTN (I know, not a campaign, but still my least favorite).

Now, each has parts that make them all special to me:

Nothing beats pre-searing Prophecies.  By far, one of the most beautiful, relaxing places to spend time in an on-line game.  It's why I have 23 characters on 2 accounts.  The music is stirring, the graphics stunning, and the storyline second-to-none.  It alone is why I prefer Prophecies.

I love factions for Rits and Sins: have 3 sins and 2 rits.  Add to that the very fast pace of levelling and play, and Factions gets my vote for most fun.

Nightfall is great because of heroes.  Best thing they could have brought to the game., IMHO, as I play almost exclusively with all hero/henchie teams.

EoTN: hate it.  Nothing but grinding for anything you want to get out of it.  I hate grinding.

• ZerazorZerazor Member Posts: 3

i dont like prophecies because its really annoying when it takes rly long to lvl up

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Originally posted by Zerazor

i dont like prophecies because its really annoying when it takes rly long to lvl up

Why is that an issue? I would understand if you needed to level up to PvP or something along the likes, but you can create PvP characters from the start. What is the difference between playing through the campaign as a max level char or playing as a non-max level char? There isn't one. You may as well not be playing the game as the entire point of PvE is the storyline, which has nothing to do with your level. 

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Tied Between Proph and NF

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Prophecies has the slowest pacing which allows you to learn to use your abilities over time. Factions has the fastest increase in power but also has the shortest campaign

• deftskulkdeftskulk Member CommonPosts: 67

My fave would be Nightfall.

I wish I could take my heroes into other games.