Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeremiah

ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

Anyone watch this show? Its a pretty good post apocalyptic series.

And to relate it to Fallen earth. I wonder if any factions wil start out in an underground bomb shelter like they do on the show.

Comments

• bobajangobobajango Member Posts: 43

if im not mistaken the new vid is of the tutorial and it look like it was in an underground bunker to me.

im sure its in one of these threads but im waaaay to lazy to find it.

• bstuartbstuart Member UncommonPosts: 135

jerehiah was a great show too bad it only lasted 2 seasons

as for fallen earth everyone will start out in the underground hover dam complex the story line is every one is a clone brought back to life by the remnants of the corp that owned the complex

but there are military factions such as the enforcers and the techs that most likely will have underground bunkers

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by bstuart

as for fallen earth everyone will start out in the underground hover dam complex the story line is every one is a clone brought back to life by the remnants of the corp that owned the complex
    but there are military factions such as the enforcers and the techs that most likely will have underground bunkers

You're mixing up the story line of Fallen Earth with Earthrise. Fallen Earth is the survivors left after the Chinese virus and nuclear war, while Earthrise has the storyline of everyone being a clone brought back by a miltary style corporation after a war/disaster.

As for Jeremiah, I caught a four episode marathon they had on last week and thought it was pretty well done. Especially nice that they try to tell a story without relying on gimmicky special effects.

• HazmalHazmal Member CommonPosts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Zorvan

You're mixing up the story line of Fallen Earth with Earthrise. Fallen Earth is the survivors left after the Chinese virus and nuclear war, while Earthrise has the storyline of everyone being a clone brought back by a miltary style corporation after a war/disaster.

As for Jeremiah, I caught a four episode marathon they had on last week and thought it was pretty well done. Especially nice that they try to tell a story without relying on gimmicky special effects.

If you read on the FE story line, the disease was believed to have originated in Asia, there was a nuclear holocaust as an attempt to stop the spread of the disease and as retaliation towards the countries believed to be responsible.  Also, everyone in FE is brought back as a clone in the Hoover Dam facility; which was controlled by  GlobalTech before the fall of humanity. 

Seems like you are mixing things up, or they are pretty similar...

------------------
    Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

Originally posted by Hazmal

If you read on the FE story line, the disease was believed to have originated in Asia, there was a nuclear holocaust as an attempt to stop the spread of the disease and as retaliation towards the countries believed to be responsible.  Also, everyone in FE is brought back as a clone in the Hoover Dam facility; which was controlled by  GlobalTech before the fall of humanity. 

Seems like you are mixing things up, or they are pretty similar...

Fallen Earth story:

The enemy that brought about the Fall didn't wear a uniform. It didn't speak of jihads or crusades. It didn't rally extremists to the cause.

Immune to metal detectors, oblivious to terror status rankings, Shiva moved without sound and without fury.

The microscopic virus originated in southern Asia, somewhere between India and Pakistan. It manifested first as a deadly flu epidemic, but how it came about isn't entirely clear. Was it just a quirk of biology? A secret government project gone awry? A purposefully targeted biological weapon? No one ever found out for sure, and with the heightened tensions of the region, few wasted time looking for an answer.

Pakistani radicals almost immediately assumed it was a weaponized virus unleashed by India and retaliated with a nuclear bomb that sparked a devastating exchange between both countries that left hundreds of thousands dead within just a few hours.

Neither fire nor radiation brought humanity low, however. The blasts flung irradiated dust laced with the Shiva virus into the atmosphere, where it mutated into a new and more potent form.

Shiva 2 descended on Asia, spreading rapidly and sparking further nuclear exchanges between ancient enemies. As chaos overwhelmed the world, major cities in Europe and North America, including cities in the United States, fell prey to similar attacks. Civilization collapsed within a few weeks, leaving only a handful of sheltered areas habitable.

The Shiva virus mutated again and again, and stymied scientists who struggled to find a cure. Eventually, the virus reached its final incarnation: Shiva 7. Although it exhibited symptoms similar to those of its predecessors, Shiva 7 was non-lethal. Once the illness ran its course, the virus fell dormant within its host. But by the time Shiva 7 became the dominant strain of the virus, more than 90 percent of the world's population was gone. Nearly all of the survivors were infected with Shiva 7, but its effects seemed minimal for decades.

In subsequent generations, however, hidden effects of Shiva 7 became apparent. The virus caused mutations - some benign, some malignant, and some...quite strange, giving a few people the ability to manipulate the world around them. The virus had altered the fundamental genetic makeup of humanity.

Now, in the year 2154, you find yourself in the Grand Canyon Province, isolated from the rest of the fallen world. Hoover Dam, the last bastion of civilization in the region, has fallen to the Children of the Apocalypse and their allies after decades of conflict. The Enforcers and Techs, once servants of the reviled ruler of Hoover Dam, Alec Masters, now search for a new place in the world. In one of the last habitable regions on earth, humanity struggles to hold on to the last scraps of the old world. The savage Children of the Apocalypse, the wily Travelers, the militaristic Enforcers, the technology-friendly Techs, the nature-loving Vistas, and the mystical and altruistic Lightbearers all struggle for dominance.

They'll become your allies or enemies as you explore, share the adventure, and shape the future of Fallen Earth™.

---------

Earthrise story:

At the end of the 21st century, the continuing exhaustion of Earth's resources sparked a furious struggle for dominance, ultimately leading to all-out conflict. Billions perished as the Third World War raged across the globe.

As nations crumbled and civil society was in its death throes, a group of cooperative leaders and scientists began work on the "Continoma Project" - a massive, self-sufficient DNA database capable of storing the genetic information of every living thing on the Earth, including humans. Members of the Project considered themselves the world’s stewards, and began taking liberties within the database, removing the genetic code of the people responsible for the war's most heinous crimes against humanity. However, many of those war criminals exploited certain Project members' greed and bought their way into the project, guaranteeing themselves perpetual life.

Humanity outside the Continoma Project all but destroyed itself - the great societies that once warred between themselves were reduced to nomadic tribes and eventually mutated or died out, long before the irradiated world could become habitable again.

After a few hundred years passed, Continoma scientists started to clone the first wave of survivors, called the Pioneers. Faced with mutated man-eating plants and animals, as well as aggressive descendents from the last naturally-born humans, the Pioneers were only able to carve out a living on the island of Enterra. It was here that they founded Sal Vitas, City of Salvation, where the Continoma leaders formed a new government, an engineered social and political regime of utopian proportions that promised to erase the painful memory of the past.

During the first twenty years, the city's construction required a huge workforce. As more people were cloned, society divided in groups and factions, each with their own agenda and goals. Some of them revisited the darker side of the human nature, exploiting fellow citizens much the same as before the death of civilization. Continoma created a draconian police force to fight crime, which kept much of the citizenry safe but did little to eradicate the growing criminal underworld.

In the wake of Continoma's harsh reaction to the increase in crime, young intellectuals and students formed a loose organization originally intended to keep Continoma in check through civil action. It was not long until the informal organization took on a new role – armed resistance - and a new name: Noir.

The Noir resistance began with a massacre. Shortly after its conception, seven of Noir’s founding members were captured by the Continoma police force. Their DNA was pulled from the cloning database, sentencing them to a death humanity was no longer supposed to experience. The remaining six members were driven from the city. Luckily for Noir, a scientist within Continoma, a follower of the group's ideals, managed to save the founders' DNA and deliver it to those who fled Sal Vitas. The restored leadership began a guerilla war against Continoma.

In the midst of the growing insurgency, a number of high-ranked bureaucrats within Continoma mounted a coup and seized control over the cloning technology. The new autocrats immediately began threatening Noir’s supporters within the populace with removal of their genetic code from the database.

Noir continued the fight, its numbers increased by the dictatorial new regime’s policies, but without cloning technology, defeat seemed certain. Only a counter-coup, led by Synthia Harvington, saved Noir. Harvington negotiated an agreement with Noir that exchanged cloning technology for their assistance in her counter-coup. When Harvington restored the government, Noir and Continoma found a temporary and uneasy peace.

Continoma and Noir continue to share the island of Enterra today. Continoma spreads its control across the island and boosts its industrial power by exploiting the island's natural resources. Noir exists in an underground network and works to disrupt the current regime’s plans. The ceasefire is already breaking.

Mutants still abound on the island, but most of them have gathered around and inside the Old City, the remains of a community that thrived before war. Intelligence reports on both sides of the political battle claim the mutants are growing … something … inside Old City's sewers. The zone is currently under quarantine until Continoma can make a better-informed decision about how to proceed, and Noir operatives are discouraged from entering the area.

---------

As you'll note from the green highlighted text, I am correct.

• HazmalHazmal Member CommonPosts: 1,013

Have to read beyond the background info to see what I was talking about in FE; the clones and the Corporation,  the nukes and the virus etc..

We are both right in a sense, I don't read up on Earthrise much because the more I look into it the more I don't think it will be something I will like.  The way you described Earthrise though is much like FE once you go through all of the released background materials.

Next time you want to prove a point, you don't have to past the entire text page, just a link would be fine; kills the work screen =D

------------------
    Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

Have to read beyond the background info to see what I was talking about in FE; the clones and the Corporation,  the nukes and the virus etc..
    We are both right in a sense, I don't read up on Earthrise much because the more I look into it the more I don't think it will be something I will like.  The way you described Earthrise though is much like FE once you go through all of the released background materials.
    Next time you want to prove a point, you don't have to past the entire text page, just a link would be fine; kills the work screen =D

Heheh, sorry.

If you get a chance, maybe link to where the "clone" part of FE is at. I must have missed it somehow.

• fordzillafordzilla Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 100

Heheh, sorry.

If you get a chance, maybe link to where the "clone" part of FE is at. I must have missed it somehow.

everyone in fe is a clone. when killed you respawn at a cloning center.

Originally posted by fordzilla

Heheh, sorry.

everyone in fe is a clone. when killed you respawn at a cloning center.

Okay, now that part I understand. It's the whole clone from the beginning part I'm trying to figure out. From what I understood, we would all be the survivors and then start cloning ourselves as we go out in the world.

So if we're all clones from the beginning, then yeah I missed that. And it means Earthrise is basically copying every step of Fallen Earth.

• bstuartbstuart Member UncommonPosts: 135

being cloans from the begining is also how they describe the pvp portion of the game when you are first cloaned a restraining coller is placed on your neck so you cant attack other players except in those areas where the " signal" is blocked

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Jeremiah was a great series if you could get past the lame acting.  It's about a world where everyone before the age of innocence (pre-puberty) survives the Big Death (a virus if i remember correctly), and they start rebuilding their new world again.  It's not like mad maxx or futuristic or anything, but it takes a more realistic and plausible approach.

I'll have to read Fallen Earth's story when i have time, it's also interesting.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Hmm..Jericho, wasn't that also something like that.

Never seen the Jeremiah series thou, will look into it.