Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOL @ BadgerSmaker

Comments

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by Tzimiscechi

Geez - reading the mean, antisocial responses to a simple comment makes me even happier I don't play SWG anymore.

In all honesty that is another of the reasons that I don't return.  It's definitely not all current players, as I've said, some of my friends still play, and they're just about the nicest people you could ever meet.  They still run a guild on Ahazi.  Just amazing people.  We share a guild forum too, where we get honest and respectful updates about the game, and have a friendly dialogue.  Unfortunately, many of the outspoken SOE defenders are extremely hostile and derogatory in my experience.  These seem to be the people that most often tell me how and why I should return to the game, and how much of a whining idiot I am if I don't.  Really, that's not very inviting.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by Gutboy

Originally posted by sookster54

Originally posted by WhiskeyRiver

Let's not forget how he got Smuggler turned into Pistoleer when the expertise came out screwing over Smugglers who didn't use pistols. Pretty much changed the Smuggler community at that point from a group focused on getting smuggling into the game to a group of Pistoleers focused on Smuggler combat abilities that continues to this day.
    Yeah and he even once said "pistols is better than ever!" after the smuggler revamp a few months ago, omg the current smuggler pistol abilities don't even compare to pre-CU/CU pistoleer/smuggler/BH pistol abilities, back then I was able to do as much damage as a rifleman could thanks to pistoleer higher damage modifier (pistoleer was 5x while rifleman was like 2.5x) but now it takes too long to kill something with a pistol! How I so miss my old Krayted 700 dmg sliced DE-10, the P-8 is the best gun now and is still a joke.

Also yeah I LOL about Badgers no longer being a GPD senate, good for him.

ROFL, you have zero concept of the smuggler in the game today. A smuggler today can destroy another player in 4 to 5 seconds. With a pistol. And that was before GU5 which made all player crafted weapons so far superior to any looted weapon.

We have a smuggler in my guild who "hunts" bounty hunters. He has a large bounty on himself and he waits at different starports for a bounty hunter to shuttle in, does a bounty check on himself to see if that bounty hunter has his mission. If the BH does have his mission he uses the new shoot first expertise and within a few seconds the BH is dead.

Smuggler is now like spy a alpha strike machine, huge spike damage.

Again, it just shows how much the emphasis of the game has shifted with the NGE.  For the most part, combat used to be a big event.  You could use an awful lot of strategy if you wanted to.  You had time to think about your moves, and then watch the extremely cool graphic animations.  This really appealed to me.  When they tried to transform combat into StarWars Battlefront, they really lost me.  PvP battles that used to be 5 minute battles of wits, were now 5 second point and clicks.  I was like, what, it's over already? 

I used to like thinking about foods, drinks, spice, states, armour, different weapon stats etc..  All of that turns into "point, click, dead" with most of the graphics still missing.  It just turned into another game.  One I already had (Battlefront), but my console game actually worked properly.

• TzimiscechiTzimiscechi Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by ArcAngel3

Geez - reading the mean, antisocial responses to a simple comment makes me even happier I don't play SWG anymore.

In all honesty that is another of the reasons that I don't return.  It's definitely not all current players, as I've said, some of my friends still play, and they're just about the nicest people you could ever meet.  They still run a guild on Ahazi.  Just amazing people.  We share a guild forum too, where we get honest and respectful updates about the game, and have a friendly dialogue.  Unfortunately, many of the outspoken SOE defenders are extremely hostile and derogatory in my experience.  These seem to be the people that most often tell me how and why I should return to the game, and how much of a whining idiot I am if I don't.  Really, that's not very inviting.

I have to say, I was a little shocked when I read the Sony board. Back when I played, I remember most of the posts similar to the ones I read were pulled almost as soon as they went up.

• WhiskeyRiverWhiskeyRiver Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Hozloff

Originally posted by Kazara

Originally posted by Suvroc

Anyone know how long he's been a correspondent/senator, and when exactly he left the senate?

He was replaced a couple of weeks back by the old Commando Senator, MasterCosmos. Badger's term was up and the powers-that-be chose not to let him continue with another term, although he explicitly made it clear that he wanted to. While the position of Senator is made up mostly of Yes-Men eager to spout the company line, Badger's position as senator was essentially self-serving and allowed him to push his own agenda over all others. $OE was wise to dump this chump.

I am curious why he did not even get the "blue glowie" status former senators do.

MasterCosmo is just as bad in my opinion, he will preach SOE's lies to no end if he can. He is just not as experienced as Badgerbanger, but give him time.

Agreed.  Cosmo is a yes-man, too.  He was another one pushing how pistols weren't underpowered in the NGE, and this was BEFORE the devs revamped Smuggler expertise because of how crappy pistols are.  The entire Senate concept has always been a joke since none of them are chosen by the constiuencies they represent.  It's nothing more than another way to promote elitism and fracture the player base by SOE.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Anyone know how long he's been a correspondent/senator, and when exactly he left the senate?

He was replaced a couple of weeks back by the old Commando Senator, MasterCosmos. Badger's term was up and the powers-that-be chose not to let him continue with another term, although he explicitly made it clear that he wanted to. While the position of Senator is made up mostly of Yes-Men eager to spout the company line, Badger's position as senator was essentially self-serving and allowed him to push his own agenda over all others. $OE was wise to dump this chump.

I found it interesting that within the last month Obraik's tone seems to have changed as well. He seems much more "bitter" towards vets these days.

I can't help but wonder if it is related to Badger no longer being a senator as they seemed to be quite friendly towards on another.

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629

Hey all,

On server transfers, I think that free transfers will just cause more problems for servers with low population as there will always be people that don't want to move, that means full mergers would be needed as in the case of the Japanese Server mergers and that really didn't go very well, very few Japanese players took the option to transfer, they just stopped playing.

We've got DevH working on what I assume is some form of Cross-Server instancing and improvments to the paid character transfer service to support more items so that should help with this issue.

I don't think I ever alluded to the fact that I thought the enhanced player search tool would completely solve this issue, I initially pushed for it to encourage grouping for experience gain, I have heard from players that have found it very useful and have used it myself on low population servers to set up full groups for experience gain and to find guilds to join, so it can be useful in that regard.

The fight against unattended play continues, we've got some fixes coming up to discourage AFKing and I've been spreading the word on some Simple solutions for unattended macroing.

For Suvroc, I was appointed as the Pistoleer Correspondent in the Combat Upgrade and spent three years as an SWG community leader, I was very happy to be replaced as Game Play Senator by MasterCosmo who will be excellent for the job. 

I asked Valara, the Community manager, to return me to normal player status, I was made a Blue Glowie after they removed my Pistoleer profession with the NGE and it has bad memories associated with that forum title. ;)

I still continue to push for better Game Play in SWG but without the ties to the Senate I can speak more freely which is very useful.  Over the years I've built up a lot of influence and communication links that I can use to help players get their bugs and issues resolved and I'll still be using them.

Smuggler does indeed rock now, credit there goes to the Smuggler Community and Hanse for hooking up some cool new abilities, most of what I did for Smuggler was earlier on, after the NGE when it was a really broken profession. 

Sookster54, Smuggler excels in bypassing defensive combat rolls like block by using skills such as Off the Cuff, False Hope and Pistol Whip which all give the target zero chance of rolling anything defensive.

And to ArcAngel3, Smuggler is the profession that requires the most timing and tactics of all professions in SWG, it's a lot of fun to play.

Hope that addresses some of your questions, let me know if there is anything I can help with.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925
    Originally posted by BadgerSmaker

Hey all,
    On server transfers, I think that free transfers will just cause more problems for servers with low population as there will always be people that don't want to move, that means full mergers would be needed as in the case of the Japanese Server mergers and that really didn't go very well, very few Japanese players took the option to transfer, they just stopped playing.
    We've got DevH working on what I assume is some form of Cross-Server instancing and improvments to the paid character transfer service to support more items so that should help with this issue.

<snipped remaining self ego stroking blather>

There were very few Japanese players to begin with let alone once EA dropped out of their hosting role.   The mergers did not go well because SOE did a half-assed effort to make it work properly.

Paid character transfers and cross server instancing does NOTHING to fix the population issue. 

I should not have to pay to remove myself from Kauri to have the same playing experience as someone who was lucky enough to choose a server that still has a somewhat reasonable playing population.  SOE made the foolish changes to the game which drove the people away.   Even the current high pop servers are low in comparison to what they were before the CU/NGE.  

Enhanced character transfers probably will = enhanced transfers fees...

Pathetic.

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker Member Posts: 629
    Originally posted by Valeran

I should not have to pay to remove myself from Kauri to have the same playing experience as someone who was lucky enough to choose a server that still has a somewhat reasonable playing population. 

You're right, hopefully the population of Kauri can be rebuilt, if all else fails and DevH's secret project doesn't help then I'll be asking for free mergers too.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

You're right, hopefully the population of Kauri can be rebuilt, if all else fails and DevH's secret project doesn't help then I'll be asking for free mergers too.

They are way beyond babysteps for a solution to this problem.

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

Smugglers still can't smuggle...and now they're forced to use pistols at range.  How was this an improvement for Smugglers?

Hey all,

I would have thought that AoC's heavy use of instancing was what turned a lot of people of it, and now it's a solution to low pop servers in SWG?

And secondly I find it absolutely insulting that the other solution is for me to pay for a service, that should be complimentory IMO, because SoE cannot find a solution themselves!

If this is the best solution SoE can offer then this is really quite sad IMO.

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

I have to say, I was a little shocked when I read the Sony board. Back when I played, I remember most of the posts similar to the ones I read were pulled almost as soon as they went up.

Yeah, they actually encourage nasty behavior over there. If someone posts a complaint, they will allow ten pages of attacks against that person. "can I have your stuff?" "shut up whiner" "CMN" and other personal attacks are not only allowed, they are encouraged.

Dare breathe a word in response to such attacks and you are threatened or banned. Thus, the official SWG boards have become the nastiest, most vicious, most downright inhospitable place on the internet, other than the Huffington Post, of course.

It is one more reason no one wants to play that game.

Originally posted by Fishermage

Yeah, they actually encourage nasty behavior over there. If someone posts a complaint, they will allow ten pages of attacks against that person. "can I have your stuff?" "shut up whiner" "CMN" and other personal attacks are not only allowed, they are encouraged.

Dare breathe a word in response to such attacks and you are threatened or banned. Thus, the official SWG boards have become the nastiest, most vicious, most downright inhospitable place on the internet, other than the Huffington Post, of course.

Amen to that.  A wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Originally posted by WhiskeyRiver
    Originally posted by Fishermage  

Amen to that.  A wretched hive of scum and villainy.

heh. The interesting things is that the other wretched hive of scum and villainy got that way due to lawlessness. The SWG Official Boards are the way they are not because of lawlessness, but because of the way the laws are enforced due to the corruption of the enforcers.

• MikeMBMikeMB Member Posts: 272

Hey all,

I would have thought that AoC's heavy use of instancing was what turned a lot of people of it, and now it's a solution to low pop servers in SWG?

And secondly I find it absolutely insulting that the other solution is for me to pay for a service, that should be complimentory IMO, because SoE cannot find a solution themselves!

With AoC that's not the case infact the instancing comes in very handy sometimes when you really don't feel like dealing with the gankers.

What's kinda ruined AoC is well a few things... Funcom really doesn't talk to the Players all the much, I've heard people state that they would rather deal with SOE who does at times talk to the Player Base. The support staff sucks big time, I could go off on how bad it is with something going on with my main toon that has made him unplayable for the last few weeks on AoC but there's no point. I will say that it took Funcom over a week to get back to me on what was happening to me and all they said is "We cannot help you."

Items are messed up, my main is level 68 and I'm still wearing boots and gloves that I got at level 30 as those level 30 items are "better". The Player Base is well... I'm just going to say one of the biggest guilds on the server I play on are well known for exploiting and griefing. This guild has stated when the new PvP stuff comes in that everyone is a target and that they will grief away.

And that's only some of the stuff with AoC I will get into. Instancing isn't the fault with the game, the fault is Funcom acts like they have no long term goal with the game. The game is still broken after launch, I mean UO and SWG ran better for me after launch. AoC? I still get a BSoD if I turn the shaders up to 3.0 note that AoC is the only game that does this too me. I've run Crysis on the highest settings without any crashes, AoC tends to crash once every two hours or so.

Originally posted by MikeMB

Hey all,

With AoC that's not the case infact the instancing comes in very handy sometimes when you really don't feel like dealing with the gankers.

What's kinda ruined AoC is well a few things... Funcom really doesn't talk to the Players all the much, I've heard people state that they would rather deal with SOE who does at times talk to the Player Base. The support staff sucks big time, I could go off on how bad it is with something going on with my main toon that has made him unplayable for the last few weeks on AoC but there's no point. I will say that it took Funcom over a week to get back to me on what was happening to me and all they said is "We cannot help you."

Items are messed up, my main is level 68 and I'm still wearing boots and gloves that I got at level 30 as those level 30 items are "better". The Player Base is well... I'm just going to say one of the biggest guilds on the server I play on are well known for exploiting and griefing. This guild has stated when the new PvP stuff comes in that everyone is a target and that they will grief away.

And that's only some of the stuff with AoC I will get into. Instancing isn't the fault with the game, the fault is Funcom acts like they have no long term goal with the game. The game is still broken after launch, I mean UO and SWG ran better for me after launch. AoC? I still get a BSoD if I turn the shaders up to 3.0 note that AoC is the only game that does this too me. I've run Crysis on the highest settings without any crashes, AoC tends to crash once every two hours or so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure some people don't mind instancing. But I do remember reading quite a few compliants about it's heavy use of instancing. I'm sure it's not the only reason people are dissatisfied with AoC, but it's certainly a big one for a lot of people - including me.

But still, instancing to solve SWG's low pop servers doesn't infact help with the server community (i.e. player cities, guilds, etc.). People on those servers are getting the short end of the stick and I think they really deserve a much better solution then what is proposed.

SoE just needs to make some hard decisions and get it done.

The only way to solve server population problems WOULD HAVE BEEN honesty over time, from the debacle of the NGE forward. Now, it's too late for that.

Told them I did. Listen they did not. Now, matters are worse.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568

Hey all,

I don't think I ever alluded to the fact that I thought the enhanced player search tool would completely solve this issue, I initially pushed for it to encourage grouping for experience gain, I have heard from players that have found it very useful and have used it myself on low population servers to set up full groups for experience gain and to find guilds to join, so it can be useful in that regard.
    The fight against unattended play continues, we've got some fixes coming up to discourage AFKing and I've been spreading the word on some Simple solutions for unattended macroing.

For Suvroc, I was appointed as the Pistoleer Correspondent in the Combat Upgrade and spent three years as an SWG community leader, I was very happy to be replaced as Game Play Senator by MasterCosmo who will be excellent for the job. 
    I asked Valara, the Community manager, to return me to normal player status, I was made a Blue Glowie after they removed my Pistoleer profession with the NGE and it has bad memories associated with that forum title. ;)
    I still continue to push for better Game Play in SWG but without the ties to the Senate I can speak more freely which is very useful.  Over the years I've built up a lot of influence and communication links that I can use to help players get their bugs and issues resolved and I'll still be using them.
    Smuggler does indeed rock now, credit there goes to the Smuggler Community and Hanse for hooking up some cool new abilities, most of what I did for Smuggler was earlier on, after the NGE when it was a really broken profession. 
    Sookster54, Smuggler excels in bypassing defensive combat rolls like block by using skills such as Off the Cuff, False Hope and Pistol Whip which all give the target zero chance of rolling anything defensive.
    And to ArcAngel3, Smuggler is the profession that requires the most timing and tactics of all professions in SWG, it's a lot of fun to play.
    Hope that addresses some of your questions, let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Hello there, Badger, me again.

1. Server Merges will cause even more to leave.  Free transfers, while not a great solution, might be a better place to start than mergers.  However, SOE is not going to do either 1.  They are too interested in that 50.00 per toon.  I paid 200 to get off Kauri last Dec. as your well aware.

2.  Dev H's project is probably the "instance" solution as discussed many times on SOE forums.  And that will really help crafters and people looking for thriving cities, etc., wouldn't it?  But again, this is typical SOE, design and throw it to TC without any public convo on the subject.  And we all know once it hits TC, it's going live, like it or not.  More CHANGES.

3.  On the 3 hour MSN pm we had, you stated your "grouping" system would save the day, so to speak.  I told you then it would have NO effect and that's exactly what it did.  It's STILL not that people on low pop servers can't find each other, it's there IS no others.  Your campaign to "save Kauri" with haveing existing players re-roll on Kauri had about the same effect as your "grouping" system.  Kauri was NEVER a large pop sever and both Fisher and I told you and SOE at the inception of the C6 Combat Downgrade that to CHANGE the game to a "group" system would have that effect on the low pop servers.  It did. Your precious CHANGE had the same effect as all the other CHANGES have had.  Lost subs, lower populations, and more problems.

4.  Your little "fight against unattended play" is the straw that broke the camels back on your senate re-run.   And your still going to go on with this personal crusade?  Well, at least now, it will be your personal crusade not wrapped up in "it's what the players want that I represent".

It was high time the senate got "some" fresh blood.  Some where along the way, it became what SOE Austin was going to do, (with or without you or the entire playerbase for that matter), and whatever your personal wish list was became your priority.  You totally forgot about what the playerbase wanted and your representation took a back seat.  Stealth nerfs, by your own admission that you started, are representative of that fact.

Lets hope that Cosmo can keep that straight.  In his acceptance post, he says he will.

• fordzillafordzilla Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 100

Hey all,

can i buy some pot from you?

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by fordzilla

Hey all,

can i buy some pot from you?

You're going to need something much stronger...

• fordzillafordzilla Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 100

I found it interesting that within the last month Obraik's tone seems to have changed as well. He seems much more "bitter" towards vets these days.

I can't help but wonder if it is related to Badger no longer being a senator as they seemed to be quite friendly towards on another.

alot of the fanbois are going nuts lately. it's because they finally see the end coming.

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793
    Originally posted by fordzilla

alot of the fanbois are going nuts lately. it's because they finally see the end coming.

Exactly. They blame it on us "true" vets ... simply for showing everyone the truth... that they have been lied to.. that they are still being lied to... that the game is dying.

So funny... "No our game isn't dying come and see!" .. pathetic...

Can't wait for them to finally pull the plug... if they had just listened to us and did a roll back way back when... they could have avoided this..

ah well *shrug*

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

What "fanbois" are going "nuts"? Obraik starts being a little snippy with you, and that's the conclusion you draw?

Maybe Obraik's tired of being treated like crap by you people.

"Going nuts"? Wishing something were happening does not make it so.

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by kobie173

What "fanbois" are going "nuts"? Obraik starts being a little snippy with you, and that's the conclusion you draw?

I think it has more to do with the recent influx of current players posting things like 'Get over it, it's been three years' and 'Shut up, nobody cares'  as opposed to the previous influx of 'The game is great and everyone should play it' and 'The game is good again so resubscribe' posts that the previous current player invasions have entailed.  The recent invasion seems to be more concerned with being angry than they do with trying to trick folks into trying their horribly unfun game.  Obriak, who has been a consistently clam vioce in favor of the game, also seems a bit more on edge since the semi-official revelation that BioWare's MMO is based on Star Wars.

It seems like more than a few folks have seen the end of the road and are lashing out.  BioWare's MMO is going to be bad for SWG, and some folks are a bit upset by that fact.

• kobie173kobie173 Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Obee

Originally posted by kobie173

I think it has more to do with the recent influx of current players posting things like 'Get over it, it's been three years' and 'Shut up, nobody cares'  as opposed to the previous influx of 'The game is great and everyone should play it' and 'The game is good again so resubscribe' posts that the previous current player invasions have entailed.  The recent invasion seems to be more concerned with being angry than they do with trying to trick folks into trying their horribly unfun game.  Obriak, who has been a consistently clam vioce in favor of the game, also seems a bit more on edge since the semi-official revelation that BioWare's MMO is based on Star Wars.

It seems like more than a few folks have seen the end of the road and are lashing out.  BioWare's MMO is going to be bad for SWG, and some folks are a bit upset by that fact.

I understand what you're saying, I just am not seeing any "influx." Those voices have always been there.

Ever think that you're noticing them more because you're actively LOOKING for them, since the "fanbois going nuts" was the predicted (and desired) reaction around here once the inevitable Bioware project was made public?

So I started to walk into the water. I won't lie to you boys...I was terrified. But I pressed on, and as I made my way past the breakers, a strange calm came over me. I don't know if it was divine intervention or the kinship of all living things, but I tell you, Jerry, at that moment ... I was a marine biologist.