Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just want to have fun again!

jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

I had fun in SWG, I had fun in COH, I had fun in WoW.

After that I just cant have fun anymore, i had a little bit of fun in AOC, but it wasnt enough, not to keep me going more than a month.

MMO's need to be open worlds, worlds where you can play and have fun again!

-Jive

Comments

• TheGridTheGrid Member Posts: 61

Many of them are, but too many of them share such close similarities that they're borderline if not entirely identical to previous games.

You're bored because you've come from years of WoW straight into a WoW clone.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by TheGrid

Many of them are, but too many of them share such close similarities that they're borderline if not entirely identical to previous games.

You're bored because you've come from years of WoW straight into a WoW clone.

This man speaks the truth!

-Jive

• ZANGFEIZANGFEI Member Posts: 439

Hi:

Did you not know that MOST people that play MMO games need pointers to show the way.

Hell now all you have to do is click a button and  it takes you where you want to go and back as well.

The one that just Flores me is the one that you can program your Toon to just hunt and loot, talk about your presetup bot system.

Whatever happened to a game that "Thought" was needed. Online gaming is becoming to simplified

and not allowing the player to think at all.

Be safe.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Play ES: Oblivion and hope the next Elder Scrolls has online capability :)

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

Originally posted by sanders01

It's a long shot. Beth have never made an online capable ES game and have said they're more interested in making a top quality single player game than diversify their resources into an experience that does everything, but with mediocre results.

• ObenOben Member Posts: 40

This thread is true, I haven't had real fun in an mmorpg since shadowbane, but once my server was wiped, population loss, and just not enough updates, it's just not fun anymore.  All the new games now have no skill involved, no complex template, new mmos have eliminated the need for intelligence to make a character.  Just look at WoW and mostly all of the F2P games, they have stats, but they are pre-assigned when you level up... they have specific skills, but most of the skills you have are essential to your character... it's all cookie cutter, theres no originality...

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357
    Originally posted by TheGrid

Originally posted by sanders01

It's a long shot. Beth have never made an online capable ES game and have said they're more interested in making a top quality single player game than diversify their resources into an experience that does everything, but with mediocre results.

Edit: Hm whoops, that wasnt Oblivion :) My bad

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by jiveturkey12

I had fun in SWG, I had fun in COH, I had fun in WoW.

After that I just cant have fun anymore, i had a little bit of fun in AOC, but it wasnt enough, not to keep me going more than a month.

MMO's need to be open worlds, worlds where you can play and have fun again!

-Jive

If you can hack it go play a MUD for a month , try the Simmu ones Gemstone or DragonRealms either will give you some great fun for at least a month. And it is real fun if you liuke a challenge, no graphics though.

It will get your brain working again though.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

I think MMO's at this point are at the mid way point, I think with WoW we saw mainstream sucess of MMO's and we have a king of the genre that needs to get taken down.

Once one game goes over WoW's head Im sure others will follow.

-Jive

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

The sad thing is that I'm even starting to lose interest in following the development of new games nowadays.  Each new release ends up being disappointing.  Fool me once, shame on you.  fool me a dozen times, shame on me.

• JustBeJustBe Member Posts: 495

Yeh and the ones that are good end up beign ruined like PS, SWG, WOW and EQ oh and UO apparently... though to me that game was always shit.

----------------------------------------
    Talking about SWG much?

Originally posted by Zindaihas

The sad thing is that I'm even starting to lose interest in following the development of new games nowadays.  Each new release ends up being disappointing.  Fool me once, shame on you.  fool me a dozen times, shame on me.

I've been doing that for the past couple years. If a game is good enough to force  its way into my field of vision with no effort on my part, THEN I show interest.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508
    Originally posted by Zindaihas

Its funny because its true  

I used to ridicule people who wait in anticipation of such non-games as Mourning, Dark'n'Light or Darkfall. Such fools placing their faith in the "potential" of these games. And then they inevitably see the light. I saw the light too......when I realized I was no different than they are. Not waiting for a specific game, but waiting for the entire genre.

What's even more funnier is I bet we're all ex SOE players...

PS

EQ

SWG

We still can't find anything to replace our fave mmorpgs since they ruined them lol.

Talking about SWG much?

Originally posted by JustBe

What's even more funnier is I bet we're all ex SOE players...

PS

EQ

SWG

We still can't find anything to replace our fave mmorpgs since they ruined them lol.

*raises hand*

SWG and PS for me. PS didn't change much in any sense I disapproved of, I liked big ass robots, but the playerbase died.

As for SWG. Just.....just no.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Try Ryzom when it relaunches shortly it is unique enough that it should give you a new experience ...

• AuzzWizAuzzWiz Member UncommonPosts: 13

I am totally burnt out on mmo's as a whole now.  I seem to have more fun surfing youtube than gaming.  Totally guessing here but fantasy mmo's seem to have nothing for me, and all the sci fi mmo's end up as nerf fodder.  What I would really like to see is a seriously great cyberpunk mmo, until then I think I'll go play Zelda.

• MarleVVLLMarleVVLL Member UncommonPosts: 907

Y'know, I've been pondering the same concept lately. I remember my first game, which was EQ1, and I remember going a week or so without even fighting just to talk to friends, hang out in the main city areas, help others (or they help me) and realizing that most my friends have out leveled me! I remember when grinding (I didn't learn that term til after EQ1) was not the only thing to do to have fun. Today, things are totally different, so it seems.

However, here are three games that have broken the mold for me that gave me that 'fun' feeling back.

Wurm Online: Yeah, it has an unconsistant art style, poor animations and low population (1k paying subscribers), but the game is total freedom. Do what you want, when you want. I had no idea that a MMO could host such a simulation concept. Terraform land, make mines in the earth, place a house here, there, and everywhere, build boats, craft armor.. craft anything (that the game allows). Every item in the world (well, ~99%) is player crafted. You can farm serveral different types of crops, etc etc. The list goes on. I recently went back to the game and started building a house. It brought back funky memories. Get the hatchet to cut down the tree, once the tree fell, take the hatchet to chop it up into little logs. Once there, get the saw to make planks. Then go into a mine (which was player made) and find an iron vein, take the pick-ax and get some raw iron ore. Then from the wood scrap from making planks, use the saw again to make kindling. Access a forge (which was player made), and with flint and steel + kindling, light it. Put the ore into the forge, and feed the forge with the wood scrap. Wait til the iron heats up and grab a small iron anvil (which was player made) and make large nails. I now have the two materials needed to make walls, windows, or doors. That is the current process to make a house (then you have to make flooring too, then place furnature in it). For some, it is overwhelming, but I enjoy it. The people are great, ususally.

Ryzom: I'm super happy it is coming back. Although you cannot build what you want, when you want, you can learn any skill and master it if you wish. The crafting system is the most extensive one I've ever seen. You can make your own skills as well with stanzas. I did not get very far in this game til it closed down, but it is for sure a diamond in the rough.

Atlantica Online: Now, on the surface, this game looks like a generic Asian MMO. If anyone knows me, I cannot stand generic MMOs. I was bored one day and just happened to see that they had a closed beta going on and those subscribed to FilePlanet could get keys. I called up my brother and asked if I could get on his account (he is a subscriber) and I got my key. I quickly accessed their download page and when it was ready, I fired up the install and waited very patiently to see what this game would bring me.

Once patched, I logged into my account. Character creation was not impressive, but once I entered the game world, I did not want to leave. Graphics weren't great, but the concept behind the game was. The combat is turned based, which requires strategy. That means that EVERY battle is different. Unlike WoW where you grind the same mob the same way for a period of time, in AtO, you may fight the same type of mob yet still experience new combat every time you encounter them! Plus, guilds can create nations and guilds can control cities, etc etc. Too much to say, really. I cannot wait til the game gets into CB-2 so I can test again (Yes test, not 'play'). I encourage all to check it out.

Blessings,

MMO migrant.

yeh mmorpg forums I spend more time on than mmorpgs...... I go to work and come on mmorpg.com then I get home and come on mmorpg.com lol.

Talking about SWG much?

• VistaakahVistaakah Member Posts: 176

I've been looking for something new and innovative for years. WOW wasn't new or innovative. It took the bad parts of some very successful games , fixed them and implemented then in to their game. It was a cool game but far from new in any way.

It wasn't better then games like DAOC or EQ just newer and ALOT easier to level. When you look at games new games be it single player online or MMO games there are clones in one way of another. If you have to grind to level they are the same reguardless of how difficult the grind.  Or its quest/quest/quest. Again its the same. Every game out there is a clone in the MMO market pretty much.

I've seen some very cool games come out over my lengthy gaming career but much like modern day movies are remakes of oldies but goodies the same goes for MMO's. I just want a game that gives me a new experience in every way but so far no luck.

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

I agree you with you Marle. Atlantica was suprisingly good. The most entertainment I have had in an mmo in literally years. I keep checking their website everyday to see when the next beta phase will begin. Only things I have to look forward to in the near future....Warhammer Open Beta, and Atlantica Online. At least I already know Atlanitca wont dissapoint.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

I firmly believe bioware should take over the elder scrolls ip... we all know they are the leading designers in single player rpgs.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• HardwareGuyHardwareGuy Member UncommonPosts: 64

It's amazing how much people really don't know the human mind.  Online games are never going to be enough for people for very long.

The difference between online "mmo-rpg?"  or whatever you want to call it, and normal console games is the fact that you can only put so much dynamic content... the rest has to be static for the next guy to experience the same crap you just did.

It will never change until developers start hiring people to play NPCs...  or other gamers..  I could be wrong but thats my opinion on it...

Playing: Nothing
    Retired:Too many to list.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444
    Originally posted by HardwareGuy

It's amazing how much people really don't know the human mind.  Online games are never going to be enough for people for very long.
    The difference between online "mmo-rpg?"  or whatever you want to call it, and normal console games is the fact that you can only put so much dynamic content... the rest has to be static for the next guy to experience the same crap you just did.
    It will never change until developers start hiring people to play NPCs...  or other gamers..  I could be wrong but thats my opinion on it...

I would venture to say that that isn't far from the truth for some people. I want a game that is heavily player driven. Enough static content added to get players started and to provide a little story, but also a lot of player created stuff and player interactions. Honestly, and I really hate to say this, but I liked how Entropia did it. Except having useful stats and skills.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Oben

This thread is true, I haven't had real fun in an mmorpg since shadowbane, but once my server was wiped, population loss, and just not enough updates, it's just not fun anymore.  All the new games now have no skill involved, no complex template, new mmos have eliminated the need for intelligence to make a character.  Just look at WoW and mostly all of the F2P games, they have stats, but they are pre-assigned when you level up... they have specific skills, but most of the skills you have are essential to your character... it's all cookie cutter, theres no originality...

I agree with you here,but lets not forget the incredible amounts of money it takes to develop good mmos.WoW has proven something that will pretty much ruin the complex mmo's of the past.They proved by making things simple and deliver a polished game you can make alot back. Most complex mmos,and sandbox mmo's never made the money wow has made this is why out type of gaming is probably now dead from here on out. I play what ever suits my fancy these days out of pure boredom,sometimes I find a little enjoyment and sometimes I do not. Lets face it the people you play with,guild etc. Also makes or breaks the game experience too.