Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crusades MMO - Forward & Prologue

FatalFXFatalFX Vizual F/X Studios Community DirectorMember Posts: 21

Forward

Hello!   I am the Community Director for 'Crusades' currently in development for over a year now by Vizual F/X Studios, LLC.  In response to a recent interview, our company founder and project creator Michael Daniel was asked, ‘what is your inspiration for the game?’

"Playing games and spending years of your own time and money to develop a character only to have a studio change your character, which turns it into something no where near what interested you to play the game in the first place. So we took the type of features that most of our friends and guild mates liked as well as what we enjoyed, and created the 'Crusades Universe.'

Now many of us have seen our share of hype and marketing only to discover at release some amount of disappointment.  I personally believe part of this is attributed to the fact that we all imagine in our minds what a game is going to be like, especially when we have been tracking the press about it, and then the actual product sometimes ends up unlike anything we thought it would be, or as the publishers’ said it would be.   

As an independent developer, we are working to alleviate as much disillusionment as we can from the get go.  Our position with the gaming community is as open door as possible under NDA.  This means that we track what we say we will do in a sincere effort to establish an open relationship with the gaming community.  Our development team backs up that effort with daily participation on our community forum, and is as passionate about their MMO experience as you are. 

Prologue (By Quest Director, John 'EvilBetty' Giles)

A broken alliance sets the precursor to a merciless war, and the near extinction of 8 races of beings from a distant galaxy.  A bold plan for survival by a secret council of the 7 betrayed races, leads to the colonization of a far away planet in an unknown system. Entering Crusades, you represent a descendent of one of the 7 betrayed races.

It has been generations since the war, and the 7 races have adapted to life together on a single planet. With years of inactivity and relative peace, save for the natural dose of crime and interracial struggles, your people are slowly forgetting the events of the past.

It is up to you to choose your own path. Whether you choose to walk the noble path of the Adept seeking spiritual balance and enlightenment, or you simply choose to become a Pirate, building your empire on greed, and conquest; the Future will be dictated by your actions. Align your paths, reveal your destiny, and find the Crusader within you!

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Mate. You want to hype the game ?

Here is how you do it :

The goal of Crusades MMO is to closely recreate what SWG pre NGE has been.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Here is how you do it :

Man this Starwars Pre NGE must of been fucking godlike, i hear about this system all the time but i never expereinced it.  I played swg after nge, didnt liek it,

Somoene needs to explain in detail what made this thing so great.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Sounds interesting.

Good luck with your game

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Here is how you do it :

Man this Starwars Pre NGE must of been fucking godlike, i hear about this system all the time but i never expereinced it.  I played swg after nge, didnt liek it,

go through about the first 5 pages in the SWG Vet refuge forum, youll find atleast 10 threads asking that question you just asked.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by tvalentine

Here is how you do it :

go through about the first 5 pages in the SWG Vet refuge forum, youll find atleast 10 threads asking that question you just asked.

The way this term is being tossed around i expected a quick hotlink wiki or something.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by tvalentine

Here is how you do it :

The way this term is being tossed around i expected a quick hotlink wiki or something.

http://mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/162280/page/2 reply #38 is great, although there is more info if you poke around the rest of the thread.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• AirspellAirspell Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,391

Here is how you do it :

yah fanbois of SWG say it. It was never a very good game.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Here is how you do it :

It was Soooo f*cking awesome SOE trashed it 3 years ago and never looked back.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

hopefully in five years when that game releases it will be good.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• FatalFXFatalFX Vizual F/X Studios Community DirectorMember Posts: 21
    Originally posted by metalhead980

It is going to be a lot sooner than that! 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Been following Crusades progress for a year now and seems to be heading in a good direction ..Good Luck FatalFX.. You guys have some great ideas hopefully it all comes together..

Originally posted by Scorchien

Been following Crusades progress for a year now and seems to be heading in a good direction ..Good Luck FatalFX.. You guys have some great ideas hopefully it all comes together..

Thank you kindly Scorchien!  Have you registered on our forums?  Even our CEO takes the time to answer questions and suggestions.  He is very passionate about the MMO experience.  (It is a nice change from other places I've worked in the past where management never played games).

BTW - We posted some new concept art yesterday. 

Check it out...

Originally posted by FatalFX

It is going to be a lot sooner than that! 

thats good to hear, normally mmo development can stretch to 5+ years this is why i use this number.

If it releases before and you guys hold a open beta or nice two week trial i will totally try it out.

Good luck

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334

I like the concept so far. I'm hoping that the graphics leans more towards realistic than towards WoW or anime. Looking forward to a sandbox style game.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    Originally posted by Airspell

Here is how you do it :

yah fanbois of SWG say it. It was never a very good game.

This

Unless you consider a bug ridden mess to be a great game.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    • "Pay to Play" Standard & Enhanced Subscription Tiers.

Explain.

Originally posted by Zorvan

"Pay to Play" Standard & Enhanced Subscription Tiers.

Explain.

Hi Zorvan,

To answer your question best - I pulled off a snippet from a recent Ten Ton Hammer interview:

Ten Ton Hammer: Can you give us some details on your business model? What are enhanced subscription tiers?

Vizual F/X

: There will be a Free Player Trial that will be on the Free Trial Server, but players choosing to keep their trial player-characters may transfer to the Crusades official unified-server, however they will port over with no credits or gear and only the default jumpsuit.  The second option is an ‘Enhanced Subscription,’ which allows for a player to build out an entire solar system of their own.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Sounds like a great game! Can't wait for it to begin beta testing :)

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

Explain.

Hi Zorvan,

To answer your question best - I pulled off a snippet from a recent Ten Ton Hammer interview:

Ten Ton Hammer: Can you give us some details on your business model? What are enhanced subscription tiers?

Vizual F/X

: There will be a Free Player Trial that will be on the Free Trial Server, but players choosing to keep their trial player-characters may transfer to the Crusades official unified-server, however they will port over with no credits or gear and only the default jumpsuit.  The second option is an ‘Enhanced Subscription,’ which allows for a player to build out an entire solar system of their own.

Okay, let me get this straight.

A person can play the trial to see if they like the game, but if they like the game and sign up, they have to start from scratch.

Interesting model. I can forsee many complaints arising, especially from players who are used to every other trial system out there, take their time with the trial to make sure it's what they want, and then find out they're broke as soon as they pay.

Explain.

Hi Zorvan,

Vizual F/X

I don't know if I like that "enhanced subscription" feature.

Holding back an advance feature like solar system building could drive people away from the game.

What will pricing be like? will the enhanced version be much more expensive?

Why add a trial server? why not just add a trial that lets you continue your characters progress instead of wiping it clean?

Explain.

Hi Zorvan,

Vizual F/X

A person can play the trial to see if they like the game, but if they like the game and sign up, they have to start from scratch.

Interesting model. I can forsee many complaints arising, especially from players who are used to every other trial system out there, take their time with the trial to make sure it's what they want, and then find out they're broke as soon as they pay.

Players won't lose their skills when they port over, just the credits they have earned.  This was a solution that our management thought best for curbing Gold Farming companies.

Hi Zorvan,

Vizual F/X

I don't know if I like that "enhanced subscription" feature.

Holding back an advance feature like solar system building could drive people away from the game.

What will pricing be like? will the enhanced version be much more expensive?

Why add a trial server? why not just add a trial that lets you continue your characters progress instead of wiping it clean?

We feel strongly that some players and potentially large guilds might desire to build such an empire!  Since the Universe is going to be very large - Imagine heading out exploring space and then discovering some advanced player-built civilization in a solar system far far away.

As far as pricing, it has not yet been announced.

The Trial server is free .  Players still get to keep their skill progress - just not the credits. 

Explain.

Hi Zorvan,

Vizual F/X

Players won't lose their skills when they port over, just the credits they have earned.  This was a solution that our management thought best for curbing Gold Farming companies.

Fair enough. I wouldn't have a problem with that.

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Hehe, seems I have seen that Icon before Fatal!

Glad to see you are posting here and talking with the members of this forum.....I don't think I have ever seen a company do that before.

I can't wait for this game!

I was a melee stacker in SWG and that was the most fun I ever had in a game system....until my class was deleted and I was supposed to choose something else, I chose to cancel

I have been looking forward to a game like this for years now.....finally!

• War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941

As an independent developer, we are working to alleviate as much disillusionment as we can from the get go.  Our position with the gaming community is as open door as possible under NDA.  This means that we track what we say we will do in a sincere effort to establish an open relationship with the gaming community.  Our development team backs up that effort with daily participation on our community forum, and is as passionate about their MMO experience as you are.

I like the sound of that. I've seen some dev to commuity relationships become strained to out right nasty from lack of communication and I always felt an attitude like this would have stoped that happening. I'm going to be interested to see how well it does work and hope it goes well for you!