Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Dream MMO: Gundam Universe

I was wondering how many people would be interested in a game like this:

- WASD movement and mouse aiming.  3rd person or 1st person view like that of Hellgate.

- Giant 3D persistent world with multiple planets and real time traveling.

- All sorts of vehicles and craft including but not limited to: transport vehicles for individual players, multiple players and multiple mechs, tanks, starships, jet fighters, booster rocket attachments for leaving planets' atmospheres,  and of course mechs.

- No classes.  The skills, attributes, and technology you use would progress.  Piloting transport would level up your transporting, using gun turrets would level up your gunning, Piloting mechs would level your piloting, fixing everything would level your engineering, etc.  Maybe even a more specific system to level up different weapon types and status attributes such as swords and strength.  A system similar to elder scrolls oblivion.

- All out war.  Guilds or clans would fight for control of cities and resources (satellites, mines, water, etc).  Guilds or clans could expand a few pre-existing main cities or build their own on territories they control.  Player built cities could be destroyed and the expansions on the main pre-existing territories could be destroyed.  More cities and resources would get your guild or clan more currency.   Guilds or clans could level up and unlock more starships.  (starships could transport and house the mechs as well as battle)

- You have to buy everything for everything.  Vehicles, parts, weapons, ammo, fuel, it would all cost something.  You would have to buy turrets, armor, main cannons and boosters for starships (you would need an individual player to control one turret on the starship which could have several turrets).  Bigger more expensive starships would obviously hold more mechs.

It seems that games today either have awesome combat with limited content or a good amount of great content with crappy combat.  I would love to see a game similar to what I have described even if it was completely different with a fantasy theme.  I could go on and on about features I would like to see in a game but you guys should get the picture by now.  Who would be interested in a game like this?  Or better yet, who wouldn't?  Would it be possible to produce?  What do you think?

Comments

• ForcanForcan Member UncommonPosts: 700
    Originally posted by Arbadacarba

I was wondering how many people would be interested in a game like this:

- WASD movement and mouse aiming.  3rd person or 1st person view like that of Hellgate.
    Not that I diss WASD or defend click-to-move, but this is more of a preferences in the west, so... But not a bad preference though.  I would like WASD for moving as well (too used to it... ) Mouse aiming is a bit harder to do when you have melee vs range... it works for range, but melee will be a bit different... just something to think about...
    - Giant 3D persistent world with multiple planets and real time traveling.

Real time traveling isn't necessary bad, but there has to be a point... if I have to fly for 2+ hours in space with nothing but spaces to look at, then it's crap...

- All sorts of vehicles and craft including but not limited to: transport vehicles for individual players, multiple players and multiple mechs, tanks, starships, jet fighters, booster rocket attachments for leaving planets' atmospheres,  and of course mechs.
    Based on your title "Gundam", yeh, this is the point... but question... can everyone own a gundam?  And what timeline you using?  UC or the newer ones?

- No classes.  The skills, attributes, and technology you use would progress.  Piloting transport would level up your transporting, using gun turrets would level up your gunning, Piloting mechs would level your piloting, fixing everything would level your engineering, etc.  Maybe even a more specific system to level up different weapon types and status attributes such as swords and strength.  A system similar to elder scrolls oblivion.
    Pros and Cons on this... level up by using can sometimes be mundane...

- All out war.  Guilds or clans would fight for control of cities and resources (satellites, mines, water, etc).  Guilds or clans could expand a few pre-existing main cities or build their own on territories they control.  Player built cities could be destroyed and the expansions on the main pre-existing territories could be destroyed.  More cities and resources would get your guild or clan more currency.   Guilds or clans could level up and unlock more starships.  (starships could transport and house the mechs as well as battle)
    This goes to the timeline/series issue.  If you pick UC, then no...  Mostly only two sides (Fed vs Zeon), although Guilds can be used as the different divisions/task forces of the two sides...  If you pick the newer ones, it would be better...   Or re-design something based on Gundam but add more to it... (I would suggest Super Robot War/Super Robot Taisen for MMO, but the massive issues due to IP would kill someone...)

- You have to buy everything for everything.  Vehicles, parts, weapons, ammo, fuel, it would all cost something.  You would have to buy turrets, armor, main cannons and boosters for starships (you would need an individual player to control one turret on the starship which could have several turrets).  Bigger more expensive starships would obviously hold more mechs.
    Buying is one thing, what about making?

It seems that games today either have awesome combat with limited content or a good amount of great content with crappy combat.  I would love to see a game similar to what I have described even if it was completely different with a fantasy theme.  I could go on and on about features I would like to see in a game but you guys should get the picture by now.  Who would be interested in a game like this?  Or better yet, who wouldn't?  Would it be possible to produce?  What do you think?

Based on your title of "Gundam Universe", I answer some stuffs with that in mind...

Time line is important, specifically for Gundam... SRW would be better if you are to loosely based on that idea...  Or if you just want mech games, then the story/design is totally open to anything really...

Current MMO: FFXIV:ARR

Past MMO: Way too many (P2P and F2P)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

6 years ago, a Gundam Online mmo was announced

www.mmorpgdot.com/index.php

but it was cancelled

later,

a Japan version was offered similar to UO

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Century_Gundam_Online

but they stopped service Dec 2007

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Now they got an SD Gundam mmo style game like Exteel!

I will find the link, but you could prolly just google it and find it.. I Love Gundam even if its SD (although full size would have SUPERB) .. Especially with the combat of Exteel (Which really SHOULD have been a gundam game) fast paced and skill based.. outta be fun..

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606

Excluding the gundam part, I would say it would be a very good mmo.

Actually probably the best mmo out atm.......

Thats exactly what i want..... (your game is alot like 10six which is my fav mmo ever from 1999)

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• ArbadacarbaArbadacarba Member Posts: 304

To Forcan:

I have never heard of SRW and I've only watched the UC gundam series a long time ago.  I've been playing exteel and I was wondering what it would be like with a giant persistent universe and it made me think of Gundam.  I guess I want a game with combat and content similar to exteel, BF2, and elder scrolls oblivion all mixed together (with a persistent universe and cities players can build or destroy).  I don't hold a particular preference for the UC timeline and I have not watched the new series, but I presume what you are referring to would be better.

Mouse aiming is not a problem for melee, it's usually the movement that hinders their abilities to catch up with rangers. 

Albeit the real time traveling could be tedious, it would be needed to simulate the war.  Imagine a whole fleet of enemies spawning right outside your city.  If there was teleporting, the spawns would have to be a good distance away from important locations anyway.  Faster transporting boosters or something could be the key.

Everyone can own a gundam if they can afford it, just the clans/guilds would have battleships.  The battleships would have engineers using all the turrets until a damaged mech comes in for them to fix.  Maybe two different engineer classes:  one for repairing and the other a crafter.

To Nadia:

I saw that mmo on youtube awhile ago and it looked like it had combat that cures insomnia.  We need a MMOFPSRPG with up-to-date MMO technology.

To Vyeth:

I think you might be talking about rising force online?  Was it point-and-click movement?  Well, since you've played exteel, image the same exact combat with a persistent universe or even just one planet.

• ChamuelChamuel Member Posts: 27

Gundam for an MMO.. that will be a great idea... i wonder  the politics in the anime will be perfect for a possible in-game manifestation.

• ForcanForcan Member UncommonPosts: 700
    Originally posted by Arbadacarba

To Forcan:
      I have never heard of SRW and I've only watched the UC gundam series a long time ago.  I've been playing exteel and I was wondering what it would be like with a giant persistent universe and it made me think of Gundam.  I guess I want a game with combat and content similar to exteel, BF2, and elder scrolls oblivion all mixed together (with a persistent universe and cities players can build or destroy).  I don't hold a particular preference for the UC timeline and I have not watched the new series, but I presume what you are referring to would be better.
    SRW/SRT: This is a series of turn-based strategy game that focus not only on the gundam series but also the giant robot series (and in the game there are two type of robot - giant robot and real robot.  Giant robot consiste of Mazinger, Getta Robot, Big O, and other similar themed robots.  Real Robot are the gundam series, Macross, and etc...)  Very fun to play if you are a mecha anime lover.  
    Personally Exteel-type game is interesting, but for MMO, it may prove to be something in the next few decades.
      Mouse aiming is not a problem for melee, it's usually the movement that hinders their abilities to catch up with rangers. 
    With the lag still be an issue, and that for mouse aiming melee will take longer time to learn than point-n-click range attacks, it's not as much an issue over the course of the game if you can balance the special skills in the game.

Albeit the real time traveling could be tedious, it would be needed to simulate the war.  Imagine a whole fleet of enemies spawning right outside your city.  If there was teleporting, the spawns would have to be a good distance away from important locations anyway.  Faster transporting boosters or something could be the key.
    Then it loses a lot of the simulated world feel... You are only focus on one type of battle, what about non-combat situations or other types? (transporting of troops, moving from one strategic location to another without detection?  Ambush?)

Everyone can own a gundam if they can afford it, just the clans/guilds would have battleships.  The battleships would have engineers using all the turrets until a damaged mech comes in for them to fix.  Maybe two different engineer classes:  one for repairing and the other a crafter.
    If everyone can own a gundam, then it becomes cheap.  The only UC series that gundam are more massively produced is MS 08 Team, all other are gundams prototypes, and the massively produced gundam are significantly weaker than the prototypes (due to cost and resources)

Haven't check this thread in a while, so just found this and realize I should say something about the reply toward me...

Current MMO: FFXIV:ARR

Past MMO: Way too many (P2P and F2P)