Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buzzz kill

BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-oe-meyerhoff30-2008jul30,0,2821586.story

Why do humans think they need to poison everything, let me give a few examples,

When i was a child in Wisconsin i used to love going to my Grand parents home,they had the sunk in windows in there basement with the corrugated metal around them and many frogs toads and salamanders would become trapped in them. A treasure trove of interesting animals for us kids, after several years they slowly disappeared and i asked my Grandfather about it he said they started disapearing after his neighbor started using herbicides and peticides to control his yard so he could have a perfectly manicured yard.

When i lived in Texas you could not eat the fish from the river because of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlordane a pesticide banned except for termite control. Well with 32 inches of rain a year and houses close to the river the excess would run right off into the river.

It makes me sick to see pallets of poisons sitting in homedepot, to be used on peoples yards in order to kill weeds and bugs,like the bugs the birds eat.

What the fuck is wrong with this society.  Is a perfect yard or golfcourse really that important? And are people that stupid to not realize it will just come around to bite them in the ass later?

I swear greed and stupidity will be the death of us all.

Comments

• ghostofspudsghostofspuds Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by BushMonkey

I swear greed and stupidity will be the death of us all.

Especially considering the staggering ratio of greedy stupid people to those who are less avaricous and superficial. There are so many people so wrapped up in their own pathetic lives that they cant wake up and realize the effect the have on the world around them. This will likely only continue until drastic changes occur in the world. A salamander disapeering  act on a whole new scale. When the shit hits the fan i will thankfully be dead... But thinking of my potential offspring well for that I am truely disheartening. To think that each generation will have it worse and worse is terrifying. I thought the standard of living in this world was supposed to be increasing on the average. Apperntly we hit the top of the curve and now things can only get worse. Why can people not wake up and realize, we only have one chance as a global society and so far i would say we are managing to fuck it up pretty well. Although on the brightside evolution is incredible, maybe we will be able to all become aquatic and utilize the toxins that will eventually pervade our entire existence. Then again ive never been much of an optimist.