Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve=Boring

124»

Comments

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

Two weeks ??
    I played it two hours and realized it sucked, what took you so long?

Probably the fact that his IQ is a couple points closer to the triple digits than yours.

• shamaishamai Member Posts: 29

Some people find it too brutal, maybe freeform PVP is not what you were looking for.

Its understandable, not everyone is cut out for it.

• saint4Godsaint4God Member Posts: 699

I was surprised to find out today just how massively huge the universe is in EVE.  I've been playing for a little while, but this puts it into a greater perspective: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/ombey/Eve_Regions.pdf .

• StarbaseStarbase Member Posts: 1

There are about 40k people on at peek time. So you will always find someone to kill.

Lag is a huge problem in EVE. All around it is a very good game. Downside is the metagaming and the scandals that rank around some CCP Members. They "spawned" T2 BPOs and still work at CCP and play the game.

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Well lag is an issue for sure but only really in the major systems or in major battles. Fleets of around 20 on both sides seem to play very smooth. Jita during peak time is a nightmare, battles or not.

As for the scandal stuff, CCP to a step that have never been done before. they let the players create a player controlled oversight committee that is there to handle just such issues when the needs arise.

EVE seems to have a different setup regarding socializing.  In the beginning of many games like World of Warcraft or RF online, you start in a populated newbie area like a town or the yard outside of a town.  There usually is a ton of spam, goldselling, dancers, and other 'look at me' kind of people.  EVE places you almost in the middle of nowhere from a population standpoint.  From there you have to go and find the high density systems (if that's what you seek) and corporations.  Being a bit of a solo-ist, it has a greater appeal to me than one who wants to be surrounded by a crew.  On the other hand, I did seek out a good roleplay corporation and talk with them daily on the channel.  That's a good fit in my book, and tend to play all games this way.

• PixistixPixistix Member Posts: 4

Played it for a trial once. Took me about 2 full weeks to fully see how much you can do. It's not an ordinary type MMO but it really have much to offer in lots of ways. I like the way it goes with researching all kinds of things although i get it must be though to wait so long at the end. I don't acctually know how far all the researches go since all i tries to do in the 2 weeks was trying to get big damn ship .

Game looks very nice. And i think if the trial wasnt based somewhere in a country i am not from, i would have tried it for another 2 weeks.

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Eve is opened in the EXTREME! The tech tree is deep enough that in five years of play I do not think anyone has yet maxed it out, ie taken all skills to max.

• AtomyAtomy Member UncommonPosts: 76

If i'd be honest, i would probably still play EVE in 10 years from now. Since you can casually play this game very nicely. While i do that, i just play those games that stay fun for a few weeks/months, WoW, Lotro,Tibia, soon Aion etc etc. I mean..EVE is the only game where i can be a trader, the open market is uncompareable in the mmo sector. Just for an example, ive only been a trader for a year. Never bored me, since i got my instant action from mmo's. Just get the best out of two worlds.

• BinkoBinko Member Posts: 267

I been trying EvE 4 or 5 times. All the time I end up with this "wtf?". I'm so lost in that game.

The game have a lot of maps, buttons etc and I have no freaking idea what to do with them.

And the skill system kills me. You buy a skill and starts to train... and it say 1day or more? How fun is that?

I don't know, I bet the game is fun if you have been playing for about 5 years or something and have a large ship and all that.

But the start of the game is way too slow for me.

Maybe when they make "walk with your character" then I might find something fun to do in EvE when I wait for my skills to get done...

Played:
    From Earth & Beyond, Anarchy Online, Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa (Beta), EvE Online, City of Villians, Atlantica Online, Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Pirates of the Burning Sea, PlanetSide, RF Online, Second Life, Fallen Earth.

• airstrikeairstrike Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Originally posted by Binko

I been trying EvE 4 or 5 times. All the time I end up with this "wtf?". I'm so lost in that game.
    The game have a lot of maps, buttons etc and I have no freaking idea what to do with them.
    And the skill system kills me. You buy a skill and starts to train... and it say 1day or more? How fun is that?
    I don't know, I bet the game is fun if you have been playing for about 5 years or something and have a large ship and all that.
    Maybe when they make "walk with your character" then I might find something fun to do in EvE when I wait for my skills to get done...

Realy just stay in WoW and keep getting spoon fed,that's just soo fun.EVE isnt for everyone,and it certantly isnt for people wich have trouble thinking and need directions at every step.

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

Binko sez:  "Maybe when they make "walk with your character" then I might find something fun to do in EvE when I wait for my skills to get done..."

Why on earth would you wait for skills to get done?  What's wrong with doing what you can with the skills you have?  That's what I did from day one, use what you got and plan for the future.

Yep, there's a lot to learn about the game, but that's why it has an appeal.  Most people find MMORPG's to be too simple and are looking for something complicated.  It's not a 'pop in and blow things up' kind of game, but there's plenty to explore and does require patience.  After doing these things...then you get to blow stuff up.  It's more strategic than tactical.

Originally posted by airstrike

Realy just stay in WoW and keep getting spoon fed,that's just soo fun.EVE isnt for everyone,and it certantly isnt for people wich have trouble thinking and need directions at every step.

I play both World of Warcraft and EVE.  My hope was that the EVE community would be more resposible than to give petty elitist-attitude replies...but I guess gamers are gamers whether they're on EVE or World of Warcraft.  Kudos for showing everyone is the same no matter what game they play.

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Jasz

OMG...Of all the arguments you may have, you say the PVP is bland. I'd really love to see your idea of exciting then. EVE has (By a landslide) the best PVP I've ever seen.
    Did you even play this game before starting this thread?
    Wow...I guess to each his own (But seriously, someone tell me a game with better PVP)

Easy really

DAOC

AoC

Warhammer Online

enough for you ?

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by summitus

Originally posted by Jasz

OMG...Of all the arguments you may have, you say the PVP is bland. I'd really love to see your idea of exciting then. EVE has (By a landslide) the best PVP I've ever seen.
    Did you even play this game before starting this thread?
    Wow...I guess to each his own (But seriously, someone tell me a game with better PVP)

Easy really

DAOC

AoC

Warhammer Online

enough for you ?

Not everyone is going to like Eves ship combat, its on the slow side so I could understand why you prefer DAoC and WAR.

those games really have no risk in there pvp so they aren't my thing really.

I like having a semi heart attack when I pvp not dying and respawning in 30 seconds over and over.

I don't mind the WAR and DAoC they are both good games, but adding in AoC is just crazy that game is terrible and pvp is broken.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

I understand, EVE is a bit of a challenge, and if you'll ignore all the folks who told you to go back to WOW, I can help.  But it will require a bit of work on your part to prepare properly.

First, make sure you create a viable PVP or PVE character right off the bat.  For new players I recommend a PVE build first, but not to worry, you can always change your focus later and become a PVP killer. Its just PVE builds make ISK faster in the beginning, which is the real grind you need to master.

Start by creating your character based on the advise found on this website.

wiki.goonfleet.com/index.php

Next, you need to find yourself a good new player guide. Battleclinic has one of the best out there, so be sure to read this before doing the trial again.

www.battleclinic.com/forum/index.php/topic,3510.msg14690.html

Now its all a matter of how you like to make ISK. Me, I hate mining, and recommend mission running for new players.  Its the quickest in the short run, (especially if you followed the above guidelines) and more fun than watching rocks pop.  If you decide to take this route, make note of these two sites:

eve-survival.org/wikka.php

EVE-Survival will make sure you know the best way to outfit your ship before a mission starts and what triggers to avoid to ensure your success.

eve-agents.com/

Eve-Agents will help you find level appropriate agents for any corporation in the game, and help you advance to higher level agents more quickly, to further your advancement and income.

OK, maybe you do want to be a miner. Some folks do, just not me.  But in case you do, here's all you'll ever need to know about mining in one easy guide.

myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp

Finally, you need to find yourself a good corporation to join, even while you're still just a trial account.  I recommend you consider EVE University, they exist just to help new players get into the game and you are under no obligation to stay.  After you figure out what role you want to play in EVE, feel free to find a corp more suitable to your needs.

If you decide to stay on past the trial, there's dozen's of good corps that will take you, just check out the recruiting pages.  Or toss me an PM, my corp is always willing to help new players who've made the commitment to stick around.

Oh yes, almost forgot.... read this one page guide about EVE, will save you a lot of headaches in the future.

And finally, as every veteran will tell you, "DO THE TUTORIAL".  Yes, its long and tendious, but it really will teach you what you need to know to get started.

Good luck and I hope to see you in EVE.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

This game freaks me out so much. The concept and everything is very attractive and it looks so awesome. But then I hear from people about how boring and crappy it is all over the place. Then there are those who love the game and flame those who don't with elitist rhetoric. Thos who are actualy helpful give lists on how to be sucessful to start out and there's like a half dozen manuals you should read and absrob before you are competant to play the game. Just doesn't sound enjoyable. I really would love to play a Sci-FI MMO and SWG just crushed me because it was so awesome and wonderful and they turned it into a giant scavanger hunt with boring repetative grinding for badges. Ugh it's very conflicting and frustrating.

• LirananLiranan Member Posts: 126

I play EVE (ingame name is same as this forum name) and have played other games and still do. I will readily admit I have played WOW as I see nothing wrong with it, just as I will readily admit I have played Lineage, MU, KO, etc. I recently left WOW because I got fed up with the imbalance which everyone just takes for granted and prays for Blizzard to do something (which they, of course won't). But I still play other MMO's from time to time for fun and change.

Most people who say EVE is bland are after instant gratification. I, for one, am after achievement and raiding for 6 hours just to get one silly little piece of equipment, get shouted at because I've never been to the raid before and then get kicked because my soulstone wasn't ready as it was still cooling down. Then get told I am not good enough to go to the dungeon/raid because I'm not online 26 hours a day and have a life other than games. That is why I never raided in WOW. That, to me, is a bunch of noobs who think they are something because they have a few pieces of equipment.

I have found that I never get the same attitude from people in EVE. There're always people willing to help as EVE is the only game that I know of that has a help channel, dedicated to helping new players as well as talk about beer, women and everything and anything while the channel is unmonitored. Those who know what I'm talking about are probably either nodding or smiling because of all the massive arguments we sometimes have in the help channel. It's absolutely fantastic. One could say that the reason why EVE needs a help channel is because it's so hard and that's true. EVE is a hard game, nobody will ever lie about that.

EVE is not a nice place. Nobody will hold your hand and it's not fluffy as CCP have said themselves. WOW is fluffy and cute. Bright colours and friendly looking monsters. Imagine getting podded without an updated clone. I can't even begin to imagine how I would feel if I lost all of my 40m SP and went down to 1m again. I am so scared of that that I have saved up money just to buy a new character if that ever happened. Would I quit EVE, no, i would go after the people who did that to me though.

In the end most people will dislike EVE and that's no problem. I hope you find the game that you do like OP and if it's WOW or even Hello Kitty then so be it, as long as you're having fun.

I forgot to say that every game will have its fanboi's and the EVE fannoobs are just as stupid as the Apple fannoobs.

• ElsaElsa Member Posts: 1

Liranan,

Eve was my first MMorpg, after my litlte brothers SNES many years ago, I thought the 5000 planetary systems was awe inspiring, the races, the story all wonderful and attractive, not to mention everyone sharing the same server. (im a closet sci-fi fan).

The complexities I could grapple with, but for new players it can be tedious, I tried completeing missions until the story I was on; gave me a mission that required me to have a ship far larger than I could afford. Im not sure if it was a glitch in system but that gave me the only option of mining to earn hundreds of thousands in a Rookie ship, to buy that larger ship, spend days training up my characters required skills to (who incidently was weak in pioloting and stronger in engineering).

A lot of people were not all that helpful, perhaps my problem was to severe for them to bother. I did however meet someone who was increadably helpfull he spent a good while trying to help me solve the issue, but that was after  awhile trying.

Instant gratification no, but a degree of gratification would have been welcome. I don't want to spend more than an hour every couple of days, just to relax, have a little fun.

Incidently;

Fanbois are annoying everywhere; I use Macs because like many creative industries, their far more popular amongst my collegues and friends. I find PC Fanbois just as annoying when I or another mac user use open sites to ask for help.

Elsa 

• meatburgermeatburger Member Posts: 7

Ive only just started playing eve. I must admit i didn't play it earlier because i thought it would be hard to understand. After about 1-2 weeks of playing eve i feel like i totally get what is going on. I still have a lot to learn but its not intimidating in the slightest. I dont know how a game being a tiny bit complicated is a bad thing.

I actually find that its a chilled out game. People talk about eves grind but i dont have a problem at the moment. You dont have to grind for skills, they just work away by themselves. I like that there is no fast track. If you see someone flying a dreadnaught you know he has worked a long time to get into it.

Mining is booring i think. I would mine if i had a hulk but i cant be screwed training it for 80 days. My corp mines a lot though and they just chat away and have a great time while they do it.

Our corp does pvp ops too where they give you frigates / cruisers and we fly around and blow each other up. The winner gets a nice shiny prize.

Overall i think EVE is one of the most chilled out and mature mmo's ive played