Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Correspondent - The PvP System

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com Age of Conan Correspondent Chris Carlis files this report on the upcoming PvP system for Age of Conan.

When we all saw the videos for Age of Conan, we were all motivated by the decapitations and fatalities that we saw. Then we saw all of the different siege warfare scenes that really got our blood flowing. And I know I’m not alone when I say that I was hell of excited about it. Age of Conan promised us lots of blood, gore and an active, fun playing system. Well it delivered most of all of it. Currently there are still some problems with the siege system, and there are some small imbalances in the classes. But in the coming weeks and months we expect to see huge game improvements including the PvP levels being enabled and the murder system. In this article I will briefly go over these new enhancements and what I think that they mean to players.

First, we will be covering the new PvP system. This is a system that was active in beta, but was not turned on when the game was released. Since then, the players have been begging and pleading with the developers to turn it on to give us some sort of content besides raiding at the end game and now, it seems like these changes are finally coming.

Read the whole article here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• RegnorokRegnorok Member UncommonPosts: 129

lol no matter how bad a game is, the editors of this site never gives a negative review.

As it stands, That new pvp system is more carebearish than WoW. Atleast in WoW people

dont get penalised for pvp and ganking.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by Stradden

MMORPG.com Age of Conan Correspondent Chris Carlis files this report on the upcoming PvP system for Age of Conan.

When we all saw the videos for Age of Conan, we were all motivated by the decapitations and fatalities that we saw. Then we saw all of the different siege warfare scenes that really got our blood flowing. And I know I’m not alone when I say that I was hell of excited about it. Age of Conan promised us lots of blood, gore and an active, fun playing system. Well it delivered most of all of it. Currently there are still some problems with the siege system, and there are some small imbalances in the classes. But in the coming weeks and months we expect to see huge game improvements including the PvP levels being enabled and the murder system. In this article I will briefly go over these new enhancements and what I think that they mean to players.
    First, we will be covering the new PvP system. This is a system that was active in beta, but was not turned on when the game was released. Since then, the players have been begging and pleading with the developers to turn it on to give us some sort of content besides raiding at the end game and now, it seems like these changes are finally coming.

Right.

This review should come with a disclaimer: Please note we are receiving tons of advertisement money from Funcom so this is not completely objective.

Could mmorpg.com write scathing reviews (if deserved, which it is) about AoC? Sure, but they would lose money, so in effect, no they can't. So why even write reviews if the outcome is fixed?

It makes no sense..

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Regnorok

lol no matter how bad a game is, the editors of this site never gives a negative review.
    As it stands, That new pvp system is more carebearish than WoW. Atleast in WoW people
    dont get penalised for pvp and ganking.

What part of this article did you think was a review? I think you might be a little bit confused but this was clearly listed as an article about the PvP system.

Also, the writer of this article isn't an editor.

The writer's job in this case was to talk about the upcoming PvP system. Whether you personally like it or not, there are people who are following and playing and even liking this game.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

Originally posted by Draccan

Right.

This review should come with a disclaimer: Please note we are receiving tons of advertisement money from Funcom so this is not completely objective.

Could mmorpg.com write scathing reviews (if deserved, which it is) about AoC? Sure, but they would lose money, so in effect, no they can't. So why even write reviews if the outcome is fixed?

It makes no sense..

Actually, any advertising that we get from Funcom has no berring on what we write about it. I have explained many times the reason that this doesn't make sense, especially from a business perspective. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing it.  It's a knee-jerk accusation that clearly isn't too well thought-out.

The correspondent program is designed to appeal to players of the individual games who are playing the games. As such, the correspondents are people who actually play and enjoy the game so it shouldn't be a surprise when their articles reflect that.

No review outcome is fixed. I am also curious what part of this article you thought was a review? I didn't see the review tag on the article and I didn't see a score. You can camplain about bias in a review if you want (although, just to point out the fact that reviews are opinion-based by definition so bias doesn't really work there either), but this wasn't a review. Just saying is all.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Right.

It makes no sense..

a)  It's not a review.

b)  Do you know what a game correspondent is?  They are not part of the staff, they are not paid, they are just assigned to a game (which they are fond of) and write articles about them.  It's just a fan of the game, he has nothing to do with the staff.

c)  You seriously need to lose the tinfoil hat.  The reason the article was written like this is because it was written by a fan (which is better than the haters writing articles about AOC).  Sorry it didn't have enough hate for you.

d)  If you read articles in here before, you would recall "The Anatomy OF A Launch Part I" and there was a part two.  This talked about Funcom's poor launch and how they handled certain things poorly.

The staff isn't getting paid...hell, game correspondents aren't even part of the staff at all...just fans who love writing.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

When FC has lied to you..cheated you...scammed  you...who cares anything about what they say.

Originally posted by Arawon

When FC has lied to you..cheated you...scammed  you...who cares anything about what they say.

Which is fine and a totally understandable opinion... But if that's the case and you don't care about what they're saying... don't read it. Just a  thought.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

What a crock of crap, PvP system nearly all in!!!!! what flaming PvP.

Our guild headed into the much heralded Border Kingdoms and me encoutered NOTHING for absolutely ages then out of the blue we meet 2 other chars who then tell us they had been in and out of the BK for a week and we where the first ppl they had met also.

We had a little to and fro battles but basically it was more exciting watching paint dry, absolutely no point no reward and no fun to be had.

The PvP system as it is is going to let the game down terribly, I'm still playing but I'm ognoring the PvP element because atm it just does not work as it was advertised.

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949
    Originally posted by qbangy32

Our guild headed into the much heralded Border Kingdoms and me encoutered NOTHING for absolutely ages then out of the blue we meet 2 other chars who then tell us they had been in and out of the BK for a week and we where the first ppl they had met also.

LOL!  I had this vision of a bunch of weapon clad warriors standing around shuffling their feet in the dirt, kicking rocks, scanning the horizon for enemies to defeat, caravans to pillage...ANYTHING.

"What's that!  Dust rising out of the valley.  Hide yourselves and prepare for ambush!"

Moments later two weary travellers ride up on their mounts.  Seeing them as little threat the seasoned warriors emerge from the brush.

"You look to be travel weary and have seen much.  What news of the Border Kingdoms?  Is the enemy at hand?  Our daggers thirst for blood and our purses are empty!"

"We ain't seen Jack or shit!  We were lost."

• sigamonsigamon Member Posts: 230

This new PvP ganking system thing they want to put in sounds awful. Did they even mention anything for the cultural PvP server?

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by templarga

It's funny when people who obviously have had no writing or authorship experience respond to something they know nothing about.

The correspondent's article was not a review of the game; it was an informational piece about the upcoming pvp system. Therefore, things like launch issues and bugs deserved no more than a passing comment. Further, the author would have been simply stating the obvious and a short and sweet piece would have become a length exposition.

I will be the first to admit that Age of Conan has problems. I will also be the first to admit that Funcom has lied and verges on some seriously ethical concerns as well. However, with that said, you (the tin-foil hat brigade) really need to relax. Every piece of information is not a lie nor does every word written about the game have to be negative.

I think the author did a great job and I can clearly tell that the article is meant to be an informative piece about the upcoming system for pvp. Kudos to the author for writing an informative piece (I learned something - which is the basis of journalism) and kudos to MMORPG.com for using correspondents to cover multiple aspects of the games.

I agree with most of what you say.

I, too, am highly disappointed with FunCom's inability to ethically deal with the publics -- the fan sites like MMORPG, TTH, Warcry, the player community, etc.  It's truly sad that much of the media continues to believe their empty hype and what's even more sad is that not many players do anymore.  Marshall McLuhan was right, the medium is the message.  And Mr. Wood, what angers most of the folks who are labeled as "tin hats" is that too many fan sites and the press were too eager to enjoy the bennies FunCom provided (and still provides)  to the media, but to actually truthfully expose FunCom's lies and AoC as it truly is, warts and all?  Not so much. 

The truly sad thing is here's a guy who loves the game who took the time to write an informative article peppered with pie-in-the-sky hopes and dreams about AoC actually reaching released quality "soon" and delivering on it's promises "soon."  I hate to break this to him but I, too, have played this game for a long time and until FunCom offers players a release quality product, i refuse to pay FunCom to continue testing their closed beta game.  I have a character on my son's account that I log in to play a bit now and then.

I love the game, I'm just waiting and hoping for a release quality product.  That will happen "soon,"  depending on your definition of "soon" ... my definition? At least 3-6 months.  And guess what -- with all the great MMOs/paid expansions coming out this Fall, if FunCom can't actually deliver a release quality product "sooner" than later, AoC subscriptions will continue to drop toward nothingness and AoC will be relegated to the bargain bin at your local Gamestop, right on top of Shadowbane.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

Well I like the new system, and I'm sure alot of others do too.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Right.

It makes no sense..

Actually, any advertising that we get from Funcom has no berring on what we write about it. I have explained many times the reason that this doesn't make sense, especially from a business perspective. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing it.  It's a knee-jerk accusation that clearly isn't too well thought-out.

The correspondent program is designed to appeal to players of the individual games who are playing the games. As such, the correspondents are people who actually play and enjoy the game so it shouldn't be a surprise when their articles reflect that.

No review outcome is fixed. I am also curious what part of this article you thought was a review? I didn't see the review tag on the article and I didn't see a score. You can camplain about bias in a review if you want (although, just to point out the fact that reviews are opinion-based by definition so bias doesn't really work there either), but this wasn't a review. Just saying is all.

i was thinking along the same lines as Drakkan as i read this article - i had no idea that "correspondents" were actually what most people on this site considers to be "fanbois" - i guess i was suppose to read something about this somewhere on this site

now that that is cleared up.........

i will now read these "news" items with the view that they are the site fillers that they are

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396
    Originally posted by gatheris

Right.

It makes no sense..

i was thinking along the same lines as Drakkan as i read this article - i had no idea that "correspondents" were actually what most people on this site considers to be "fanbois" - i guess i was suppose to read something about this somewhere on this site

i will now read these "news" items with the view that they are the site fillers that they are

Ugh...they aren't site fillers, they are useful articles.  They also have correspondents for LOTRO, ROSE Online, etc.  Even I went out for a position as one.

There's nothing wrong with these articles.  They inform the staff of news updates, and they write articles about the game of choice.  This was an article explaining the future (possible) PvP of AOC, and it was informing and a pretty good read.  This is no "site filler"  but a good way of keeping the community updates with all of the different MMOs.  I appluad the staff for this brilliant idea, so we could see updates from more games more often.

I don't see people complaining like this on other threads....God, you AOC people just attack anything possible, don't you?

• SamundusSamundus Member Posts: 2

I am starting not to like this site. this is the most crapy and broken game i have yet to play, yet they never say anything negetive. its to late to make up for the lack that this game has. so take a year, take two years to fix, but your not going to do it with my money

• SampiaSampia Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by mike470

O

I don't see people complaining like this on other threads....God, you AOC people just attack anything possible, don't you?

It may be that we attack so readily because of the dept of our wounds.  I waited for this game for years, my anticipation only building with all the information from funcom.   I am still playing.  On an alt.  Not much for my level 80 to do.  If I complain sometimes, it is only because my bitterness runs deep.  I feel like a little girl who was promised a pony and given a goat.  :-)

• ardohainardohain Member Posts: 103

i really don't have a lot of confidence in anything having to do with ranking based on pvp kills. the kills to deaths counts have been horribly off. an example was when i took an alt into white sands last week and my group of two began defending itself against a lvl 20 ganking lowbies. we were killed several times but also were able to kill the lvl 20 many times. i was curious just how many times so i opened up the pvp window to check. my kills to deaths record was 0 : 8.  the only time i've gotten credit for a kill is when i've killed a player by myself.

casters in mass pvp (seiges) rack up 100's of kills while other archetypes get single digit totals. bleh...

why would i put any stock or any hopes of being happy with a game this horribly executed. so sad funcom, y'all broke my heart with this game.

• BluezeerBluezeer Member Posts: 30

For me AoC is dead . But i hope the best for the mmo players still in it .

• Pookie666Pookie666 Member Posts: 33

"Currently there are still some problems with the siege system"

Look I really like the game ( 80 PoM) and am starting to raid, but to say "SOME" problems with siege is like saying, "The Titanic had SOME problems with water!"

Siege warfare is practically unplayable with the atrocious lag/framerates. For example, you try to move forward and 5 seconds later (no joke) you end up "somewhere". I think in time they will fix this and as I said I like the game, but that was a pretty darn poor reviewer imo.

Pook

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by mike470

Originally posted by gatheris

Right.

It makes no sense..

Ugh...they aren't site fillers, they are useful articles.  They also have correspondents for LOTRO, ROSE Online, etc.  Even I went out for a position as one.

There's nothing wrong with these articles.  They inform the staff of news updates, and they write articles about the game of choice.  This was an article explaining the future (possible) PvP of AOC, and it was informing and a pretty good read.  This is no "site filler"  but a good way of keeping the community updates with all of the different MMOs.  I appluad the staff for this brilliant idea, so we could see updates from more games more often.

i am not an "AOC people"

i read this article because of its title and all the complaints i have read about AOC pvp - figuring that this update would take care of some those complaints - whether it does or doesn't i don't know

this issue was that this "correspondent" (and who doesn't associate correspondent with news reporter) didn't seem to really know about the issues that players are/were having with AOC pvp

then upon further reading of the comments on the article i found that, according to this website,  a "correspondent" is a fan of a given game that would natually be giving biased views/reviews of said game

i would think a better title for these types of articles would be "fan mail from AOC, LOTRO, WOW or........."

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

lol go Stradden

anyway good article.  i look forward to the changes

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• CogLCogL Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Samundus

I am starting not to like this site. this is the most crapy and broken game i have yet to play, yet they never say anything negetive. its to late to make up for the lack that this game has. so take a year, take two years to fix, but your not going to do it with my money

I started to hate this site too, review or whatever they call is so one sided. That is fine, but if anyone want to discuss how flawed that review/whatever they call, they started to ban people.

You have been issued a temporary ban by one of our moderators.

Category: Spam

Span: 07/31/2008 - 08/01/2008 [1 days]

Reason: MMORPG.com does not permit spam posts or threads on our forums. Spam posting includes repeated or nonsensical posts that disrupt the forum.

Ban me for Spam???? I only got one post and it stated what I see those flaws in the orginal post like others. At least ban me for something else like disagree with OP, or flaming the company. Guess I was the first one to reply and take the hit.

edit: oh I created this acct just to warn others, no more bashing OP and love Funcom or you will get ban lol too

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

lol...Tinfoil hat.

Originally posted by CogL

Originally posted by Samundus

I started to hate this site too, review or whatever they call is so one sided. That is fine, but if anyone want to discuss how flawed that review/whatever they call, they started to ban people.

You have been issued a temporary ban by one of our moderators.

Category: Spam

Span: 07/31/2008 - 08/01/2008 [1 days]

Reason: MMORPG.com does not permit spam posts or threads on our forums. Spam posting includes repeated or nonsensical posts that disrupt the forum.

Ban me for Spam???? I only got one post and it stated what I see those flaws in the orginal post like others. At least ban me for something else like disagree with OP, or flaming the company. Guess I was the first one to reply and take the hit.

edit: oh I created this acct just to warn others, no more bashing OP and love Funcom or you will get ban lol too

Yeah, that's probably what happened. In order to silence you, a moderator went out of his or her way to give you a temp ban for a whole day. Long-term silencing.

We do have an appeals process, just so you know. You can complain to [email protected]. Our Community Manager Richard will be happy to look into this for you.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com