Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why everyone should play GW (instead of AoC, WoW and similar cr..uff)

When will you people realise that Guild Wars is the one and only COMPLETE MMO product in the world. It has everything that buyer / user makes content and happy:

1. more then reasonable price, it's almost free;

2. for your money u get rediculous, mindboggeling amount of gameplay;

3. NO MONTHLY FEE;

4. all mmo aspects are there (and at an excellent level also): pve, pvp, economy, community ...;

5. meaningfull game that has a purpose  - what you accomplish is going to be transfered to future release GW2;

6. excellent storyline in every single campaign, its like reading a book;

7. EXCELLENT gameplay, i mean this game is really so flexable and playable;

8. runs on piece of crap machines like totaly average kitchen blender;

9. distribution is awsome, u can get this game in convinient stores in godforsaken countries like mine ;) ;

10. support is good (i got my money back when i accidentaly screwed up internet purchase)

11. did i mentioned that theres no ball-breaking monthly fees;

12. NO BUGS whatsoever - theres like so small bugs that vast majority of players wont even notice, and those get fixed at lightspeed;

13. Constant little, considerate tweaks that make this game probably most balanced in the world

14. ... whatever i cant remember at the moment

GUILD WARS

(excuse my gammer)

Oh and btw. this comes from a guy who thinks that only true rpgs are games like fallout 1&2, BG 1&1, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, The Elder Scrolls all, everything else by Interplay-Blackisle, KOTOR and everything else by Bethsoft ...

To moderators: i hope this is on topic, or off topic or whatever it needs to be to stay on forums

Played or Playing: Anarchy Online, Guild Wars, Age of Conan, Everquest II, City of Heroes, City of Villains, ArchLord, Dungeon Runners, Silkroad Online and loads of not worth mentioning F2P mmos ]

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

many players are turned off by group instancing

GuildWars2 will have a persistent world

wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_2:_The_Status_Quo

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by Stormblaest

9. distribution is awsome, u can get this game in convinient stores in godforsaken countries like mine ;) ;

OMG you are insane, Croatia is beautiful! I love it there, I came for a 2 week visit last year. Incredible. I really really want to visit again but this year we are going somewhere else. :(  Blame my wife.

You are right about GW on most points, I think what turns a lot of MMOers off is its non-persistant world. The grouping isn't that big of a deal because you can take NPC's and heroes. Its an excellent game no doubt.

I have had it installed on my drives since launch.

• matthewf978matthewf978 Member Posts: 287

GW seems like an interesting mmo, but I am turned off by the speed of progression. Two or three days is too little time in my opinion(which is the amount of time that I have heard). Such a small amount of time means that any build can be cloned in a short time with little effort, and that means I lose my unique build.

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

Hmm you are all wrong about builds, there are so many skills in this game ( 2 professions at the same time) that unless you coose to take a cookie cutter build you'l be unique since you can only bring 8 skills.

Gw's didnt have a persistant world thats why it isnt as big as wow. But you can max the graphics on pretty much and pc, and it looks wayy better than wow and most mmos.

That whole fast leveling procede just makes it so that everyone has the same skill points, but its the only game where any class can solo stuff.

Here your skills determine your role in the team, not your class. Monks can be tanks healers, buffers, dmg dealers. Its one of the only mmos where the ranger can actually fight using only traps.

Dont talk about mmos unless you've played at least a few weeks.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'd agree the gameplay is decent enough , But there are two issues I've always disliked about GW.

Arena style or BG style (whichever term you prefer) PVP has always been a turn off for me . It just feels to predictable , It's fun for a few matches but just (to me) can grow stale really fast .If there was something to do outside of this it might be a viable alternative to the every day MMO , But in it's current form it reminds me more of a fighting game with RPG mechanics .

The second turn off for me has been their expansion model , I'd prefer to pay a monthly fee TBH compared to paying 50$ a pop for every new addition they add to the game.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by matthewf978

GW seems like an interesting mmo, but I am turned off by the speed of progression. Two or three days is too little time in my opinion(which is the amount of time that I have heard). Such a small amount of time means that any build can be cloned in a short time with little effort, and that means I lose my unique build.

Yeah but its not about the levels, you are not going to finish the content in 2 or 3 days. No it takes a little longer unless you plant yourself in front of your PC and play straight. There are people playing GW for years now.

I don't see that clone thing either. Even two people with the same 2 class combos will not be the same unless they are using the same template from an online source and probably can't use it right if that is the case.

You only are allowed to take 8 skills at a time with you. I don't even know how many skills my toons have available, 100 plus? Not much chance of clones there. Especially since builds are situational, there isn't a generic single one that covers everything. You make your build depending on what you will be doing and what sort of group you will be with. A skill combo that works well for you might seem like a horrible idea to someone else.

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

Yep abotu the non subscription it pretty much the same cost overall, but you dont feel bad when not playing, I stopped playing 2 months ago and I dont feel liek i'm loosing anything, I still log on every week or so to help a bit in the guild.

O and btw about skills I have more or less 300 skills on him, all unlocked for the R/w, R/E and R/Rt

I must say though that even though gw is the best game I ever played, gave it three years of my life. Playing a real mmorpg also feels very nice, I play lotro and I'm really loving it.

I dotn think you should play GW instead of other mmos, its like saying play battlefield 3 insted of Huxley. Were not really talking about the same kind of game.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

Yeah that makes sense , In most games unless you cancel it does feel like your wasting money , If you can't play or are taking a break.

• sfwtboysfwtboy Member Posts: 217

While I agree the guild wars is a good game I disagree that omfg its the best game evver!!!

For many reasons

1. Private intances for all but towns and outpost- This makes it feel like a more solo rpg then a mmo half the time because most people will just get henchmen insteaf of grouping up.

2.. Non Tangable world- With no jumping you feel restricted and you can not fall off cliffs and things which means there are a ton of invisable walls makes it feel like your in a box not an envorment.

3. The actual guild wars- The guild wars are no different really then any Random Arena match other then you have to kill the guild lord. It would be better if there was some kind of seige element because its way to easy to get into the other person's guild hall

4. Guild Halls- The guild halls them selves are not custimiseable at all you have a few templates to choose from but once you have all the merchants yours is just like everyone else's.

Now Im not trying to troll or anything here because Guild Wars does have alot of things going for it Im just saying its not the best game ever.

Currently Playing:nothing Have Played: WoW GW LoTRO Last Chaos Maple story 2 Moons Lunia Perfect World Archlord Silkroad FFXI EQII Vanguard Age of Conan

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by matthewf978

I have no idea what you think you know about GW's progression but I can tell you it's completely wrong.  Two or three days will get you to level 20?  Yeah, probably.  But you'll be a clone of everyone else?  No, not at all.  GW has hundreds upon hundreds of skills per class and elite skills can only be obtained by slaying mobs which use them and some of them take hundreds of hours gameplay to even get to, let alone defeat.

Not only that but many abilities, factional and PvE ones, are based on faction ratings and take a considerable amount of effort before they get good (but they do get pretty damn good).

Not to mention there's the gear grind, the title grinding, the ability to earn everything through either PvE or PvP.  I agree with the OP, GW is pretty much the best hack and slash MMO out there.  GW has dozens of minigames to keep one occupied.  It offers simply the best PvE experience in any MMO to date.

The only downside is the six member instancing for almost everything and while the GW fanbois like to tout it's PvP I found it absolutely dreadful.  The mechanics of the combat are fine but the actual PvP environment and matches are a complete joke.  GW's PvP is smaller then even a very small Counter Strike server.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

I have been very impressed with this game. Though some argue that it isn't an MMo, it is better than most of the MMOs currently on the market. The best part about this game is that the creators seem to actually care about their players. They treat their players better than just about any company on the market. They have even had tournaments where the players get real prizes. This being their first attempt at anything like an mmo and it being this quality, I cannot wait to see what they will do with  Guild wars 2. It is funny to think that these guys who have never tried to create a mmo were able to create a game without monthly fees that  has great graphics,  excellent customer service,  quality quests and storyline, outstanding pvp,  and it was polished and virtually bug free  in less time than most of the other companies on the market.  Thank you  Arena Net, you guys rule! I can't wait till the release of Guild war2, the whole Idea of the mist sounds awesome!

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124
    Originally posted by Malickiebloo

The second turn off for me has been their expansion model , I'd prefer to pay a monthly fee TBH compared to paying 50$ a pop for every new addition they add to the game.

Much like games such as Everquest, Ultima Online, WoW, SWG all offered free expansion packs eh (/sarcasm)? And round where I live, any expansion to date has been less than $35.

I agree with much of the OP points. GW is prolly one of the better games. Can have alot of fun...it is missing some of the MMO points, but hey AoC pulled off the instancing n they are charging monthly for it.

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503

I tried it, didn't like it much because:

1. Instances.

2. Linear game play.

3. Can't jump. I have to run around a fence? Frustrating.

4. I don't like the progression. I don't want "different" abilities, I want more powerful abilities as my character develops.

• ApocamentusApocamentus Member UncommonPosts: 142

This post sucks because not all people like the style of game.  I personally like it because I'm into FPS games.  But I also like regular MMORPGs and GW I don't find as good just because it isn't really immersive and there's not much to do other than fight.  Also it's not a persistent world.  I guess the creators realised that a lot of people bought it thinking it was going to be more like a standard MMO and that is why they are making GW2 into a WoW clone type game.

Playing: Xsyon.
    Played:
    image image image
    Tried: Ultima Online, Everquest 2, Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, Flyff, Perfect World, Silkroad Online, EVE Online, Ryzom.

• lapommelapomme Member Posts: 270

Was in an extremely good guild in the open beta and some time into retail.  The expansions ruined the game.  Nobody does Tombs anymore. ;/

• CactusmanXCactusmanX Member Posts: 2,218

I really liked how GW took the focus away from purely statistical progression and made it more focused on gaining new abilities rather than just linearly increasing preexisting ones, something I wish more games would do.

What I didn't like was the combat and PvP.  I don't like the auto follow target that they employ nor did I like the concept that you have to stop to attack, that is ok for some attacks but not all, and it annoys me that I cannot jump, because not only can I not jump up on ledges and things I can't jump off them and suprise people either. And I prefer world PvP to arena, world PvP is more unpredictable.

Don't you worry little buddy. You're dealing with a man of honor. However, honor requires a higher percentage of profit

• ElowynElowyn Member Posts: 40

I couldnt even stand this game for more than a week. It seemed like more of a Diablo with cities for a chat room. However It wasnt poorly done , there were some good aspects to it. I would consider playing GW2 , If they open it up and drop the instancing which I think is theyre main plan.

Originally posted by talismen351

Originally posted by Malickiebloo

Much like games such as Everquest, Ultima Online, WoW, SWG all offered free expansion packs eh (/sarcasm)? And round where I live, any expansion to date has been less than $35.

I agree with much of the OP points. GW is prolly one of the better games. Can have alot of fun...it is missing some of the MMO points, but hey AoC pulled off the instancing n they are charging monthly for it.

They do offer free content updates though .

I spent 100 dollars on two box versions of basically the same game outside of some new professions and skills .After that I was done buying new versions of GW . Now ? I'm sure they are cheaper , I bought the first for 49.99  and The second ( I think its the second) Factions for 49.99 when it released .Nightfall i think was 39.99 at release though I'm not sure as I didn't have an interest at that point.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

I liked Guild Wars for a few weeks and I'd say I got my moneys worth out of it but I got tired of it pretty quickly and I don't really see it as a mmorpg.

All the private instances (like 90% of the game) and the rest of the game being public instances are the reason I don't classify it as a mmorpg.

Things I didn't like about it:

1.  Entirely instanced game.

2.  Extremely linear world to play through.  I mean, in terms of the layout of the world it doesn't get much more linear than that.  To find a more linear world geography you'd probably have to go back to a 2D sidescroller game.

3.  I like having the option to solo but Guild Wars was maybe a little too solo friendly.  I did buy one of the expansions for the game and after I did that there was no real reason to group at all because with the Heros it was actually easier to do things solo than it was to group. 

4.  When I did group with people, mostly just in the mission instances (or whatever they were called) it was almost like playing with a group of NPCs because hardly anyone ever, EVER talked to each other.  It seemed that there was no need to talk to each other.  The missions, like the rest of the game, were basically just <<<follow the path through the closed in canyons>>>.  And combat was all mostly just <<<spam your highest damage attack>>> with very little in the way of tactics so there was no real need to talk to each other about that.  And there was hardly any recovery time between fights during which people might take a moment to actually say something.

So when I grouped for missions it felt less like a group and more like just a bunch of people running solo through a mission but they just happened to be soloing near other people.

5.  The PvP just didn't cut it for me.  I had some fun in the arenas for a short time but it got old very quickly.  Those arena fights don't even feel like PvP to me.  It's more like a group of guys getting together for a game of basketball or something.  There's no suprise, no suspense, no constant feeling of danger nagging at the back of your mind as you explore (and nothing to explore anyway).  It all controlled and safe and....boring.

For what it is Guild Wars is good game but if I classified it as a mmorpg I'd say it is exremely lacking.  However, I may look into Guild Wars 2.  I won't expect much from it but if it's good enough to give me a month or two of entertainment it might be worth getting.

• StormblaestStormblaest Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by deviliscious

I have been very impressed with this game. Though some argue that it isn't an MMo, it is better than most of the MMOs currently on the market. The best part about this game is that the creators seem to actually care about their players. ...

... It is funny to think that these guys who have never tried to create a mmo were able to create a game without monthly fees that  has great graphics,  excellent customer service,  quality quests and storyline, outstanding pvp,  and it was polished and virtually bug free  in less time than most of the other companies on the market.  Thank you  Arena Net, you guys rule! I can't wait till the release of Guild war2, the whole Idea of the mist sounds awesome!

Thats what im talking about 

You need only ONE (1) Campaign to play the game (Prophecies, Factions OR Nightfall), so to all posters that say that price is the same here's a small calculus for current price situation:

GW = 18,75 € (any of the 3 campaigns in my local store atm)

----------------------------------

total = 18,75 and u can play it for however long you like

WoW = 15 € (same store, atm)

+ 14,95 € every month of playing

-----------------------------

total = 29,95 for ONE month of playing

So as any stoneage mathematican can comprihand, price isn't the same thus GW is cheaper. Lets say you go now and buy all three campaigns + ONLY expansion (Eye of the North), thats 18,75 x 4 = 75 €,

75 / 14,95 = 5,02 months of playing WoW.

See i have been playing GW for 2 years now and only payed maybe 130€ coz it was a bit more expensive when i bought it (that's still bout only 8-9 months of WoW)

My statement wasn't that GW is PERFECT game, it was that GW is THE BEST MMO PRODUCT ATM because it's a COMPLETE product, that gives buyer/user sense of content and u dont feel like ur getting ripped off, unlike all others that lack either proper support, either distribution channels, either non-balls-breaking price ...

To the guy saying that u can't jump, try /jump , but i agree, im missing the ability to jump too.

What im saying, i guess is that i would love that mmo developers took ArenaNET for an example how mmos should be developed and run, considering player's needs and wishes, trying to make a profit but not to ripp off customers, organizing real life social events where players can meet etc.

We can just play GW, prepare our armors, weapons, heros and titles and eagerly await the arrival of GW2, coz it will be PERPETUAL and UNINSTANCED world

Played or Playing: Anarchy Online, Guild Wars, Age of Conan, Everquest II, City of Heroes, City of Villains, ArchLord, Dungeon Runners, Silkroad Online and loads of not worth mentioning F2P mmos ]

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Ok I played Guild Wars for almost 3 years and I think it is the best non-subscription online game there is but at the same time being a non-subscription game the pve content is very limited. Guild Wars pve content simply can't compete than what other mmo games offer such as WOW and Lotro. Guild Wars is a nice pvp game but as far as pve content you really need to have all 3 campaigns plus the expansion to gain the max potential it has to offer. Obviosuly i hit the wall with the game and taking a nice break from it until Guild Wars 2 hits the shelves. Currently I'm playing Lotro because it just offers so much more.

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

It's not an MMO...

I don't care for the argument that it is better than current MMOs because there are many games that are better than the current MMOs.  There is a reason people play MMOs (because they want to!).  I don't care if GW is a good game, I would rather play an MMO.

Current MMOs suck because developers have forgotten the whole "MMO" portion of the genre and what makes that so special.  People play MMOs because they are MMOs, not because they are good RPGs.

Edit:  Also, many MMOs have a lot more content.  Subscription fees are the best way to go about making an MMO.  I would like to pay once and play the game in its entirety than become just another consumer that'll purchase this and that.  (That is probably more of an argument about the fundamentals of MMOs and immersion than anything)

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

Actually it is an MMO. Unless you define MMO as having to have a monthly fee.

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

An MMO, at its heart, is all about playing the game WITH a massive amount of other people.

Having only a common area really doesn't qualify as playing the game with a massive amount of other people.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

I recently stopped playing GW.

It was a fun game since i finished proph,Factions,NF and EotN story campaigns and pvp'd my butt off for a while I decided to leave.

the game is fun and those who say its mostly a single player game are wrong they have some really good group only zones and the Dungeons recently released are awesome.

Some people may not like the short leveling but the game doesnt start till ur level 20 anyway and the storyline is only 5-10% complete by that time.

Tons of stuff to do in guild wars and it took me about a year and a half to do all the PVE content.

Just make sure you find a guild willing to do the pve material and not one that only cares for GvG combat.

Oh and to the OP you only seem to care that GW is free but i wouldnt consider 100 bucks or more free if you buy all the games and Xpac. thats like 6 months of subs with a normal MMO.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum